Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your early footballing heroes.....

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
who were they ? Charlton and elsewhere ???

My boyhood here was Kenny Dalglish. Never seemed to miss the target. Was obsessed with Pele and used to practice keepy uppy's with a rolled up sock after seeing a video and learning that's what they used to do in Brazil.

Charlton ? Don't know, suppose the first player i really felt strongly about wasn't until Simon Webster. Just loved his attitude and the way he tackled with his head !

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Glenn Hoddle - always remember that chip he scored against Watford (Sherwood in goal??)....just oozed class - shame as i think he's a bit of a tosser now...
  • Options
    For Charlton my first one was probably John Humphrey.

Was not really interested in players that did not play for Charlton when I was young.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis,over 350+games.
  • Options
    Johann Cryuff and the 74 & 78 World Cup team - it was them that got me addicted to the beautiful game. Charlton? Probably Paddy Powell. I used to like Steve Heighway and Steve Coppell too. I had a thing for out and out wingers.
  • Options
    Johnnie umf and willo, along with me old mate gritty and lennie lawrence. heros all of em
  • Options
    Charlton - Johnny H, a hero among many heroes.
    Generally - Bryan Robson,probably.
  • Options
    Alan Campbell was my first - he was always easily identifiable on the pitch with that mop of black hair.

Rodex - Bob Curtis used to drink on a regular basis in the pub where my aunt worked (British Oak ,Old Dover Road) and we would often see him in there on the night before a home game - terrific bloke.
  • Options
    Alan Shearer...I look back and cringe!
  • Options
    George Best and Bob Wilson.
  • Options
    Matt Tees
    Jimmy Greaves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trevor Brooking and Kevin Keegan
  • Options
    General - Jimmy Greaves

Charlton - Len Glover
  • Options
    Charlton - Garry Nelson (don't know why)
    Generally - Gary Lineker
  • Options
    Laurie Cunningham ...

Derek Hales

Nigel Batch
  • Options
    Hales for me i would say!loved it when the chant went up in the old covered end!KILLER!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Kenny Sansom best left back for England by a country mile

Charlton - Paddy Powell - used to go to school with his son David at Kidbrooke and played in same school team so used to meet him regular and didn't realise who he was until I went to a game at 7/8 yrs old.

Went to school on the monday and was like David i saw your dad playing for Charlton`saturday - funny as hell.

If I talk about recent times when I went regular home and away it has got to magic man Paul Mortimer always had me in awe of the bloke at his skill.
  • Options
    It was always Robert Lee for me!

Was there to see him score on his England debut as well, even though he was a Newcastle player then, it was still superb.
  • Options
    I'm with Howitzer - thought Hoddle was a class player, but am quite thankful that his managerial career hasn't (yet) brought him to The Valley.
  • Options
    Platini.

Hales when I first started going because he was my dad's favourite.

Simonson - was even pleased when he scored a pen at Wembley v England (was only a kid)

Shirtliff - for his commitment
  • Options
    Charlton-Paul walsh
    General-joe jordon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cyril Regis, what a good old fashioned centre forward he was, thought he was brilliant.

For Charlton was Derek Hales was lucky enough to be at the valley as a nipper when he scored that goal of the season, against Hull I think...can't remember now! Also saw Simonsen score that terrific goal from outside the box, can't remember who that was against either...pathetic. He was a fantastic player.
  • Options
    Apart from Charlton, my Dad used to take me to Millwall alternate Saturdays when we away, and occasionally Palace if they had a midweek game........I never saw a League game outside of the original Division 2 for my first 9 years of going to matches - although a neighbour took me to all Chelsea's home games in their Cup Winners Cup games of 71-72 when they won the bloody thing.

So even though I saw a handful of games featuring Peter Bonetti, Peter Osgood et al - all the top players were just pictures in the paper apart from some shadowy Match of the Day highlights.

Sure, Millwall had Keith Weller, Derek Possee, 'Matchstick' King in goal, Eamon Dunphy, & 'Arry Cripps; Palace had Steve Kember & Mark Lazarus - but at The Valley, they were all heroes:

Sir Charlie Wright in goal (Hong Kong international)
    Bobby Curtis at right back
    Brian Kinsey, number 3 (now my Dad's next door neighbour!)
    Paul 'Wally' Went & Peter Reeves at centre half
    Scotland U-21Alan Campbell & skipper Graham Moore (Wales, Man U & Chelsea) in midfield
    Harry Gregory on the right wing & Lenny Glover/Keithy Peacock on the left.
    Up front, Matt Tees and Ireland centre forward Ray Treacy.

A few seasons later, Killer, Flash and the nicest, friendliest bloke of them all, Paddy Powell.
    And a special mention for the always approachable, 'have you got a ticket?', manager Theo Foley.

Sure, there have been worse players and better players to wear the Charlton shirt.
    But to a kid, they always seemed to play with their heart on their sleeve - and they were my heroes!
  • Options
    I just loved it...

Charlton it had to be Jim Melrose and Walsh loved watching those guys play together and then later rob lee with his turns and shots on the edge of the box, willo and then watson...always loved reids cut back and watch the opposition slide past and amos as well..

overall cruyff, platini... for some reason really liked the french team of the mid eighties like bats in goal... francescoli of Uraguay,

Used the watch the rerun of the palyoff final against leeds and the video of Mexico 86 until the video wore out...
  • Options
    For Charlton Ray Treacy. A bit later I had a soft spot for Martin Robinson for some reason and then Paul Walsh who was in a class of his own at the time.

Elsewhere, there was Peter Osgood as Oggy points out, along with Alan Hudson (what a waste) and Charlie Cooke at Chelsea. Tony Currie was a great showman and Frank Worthington should have had a bigger stage.

Internationals would be the Brazil team of the 1970 world cup. Pele, Jarzinho, Tostao, Carlos Alberto, Rivelino.

http://www.v-brazil.com/culture/sports/world-cup/1970-Mexico.html
  • Options
    General - Gary Lineker

Charlton - Robert Lee

And in my early days when i went to Welling Utd it was Terry Robbins!!
  • Options
    General - George Best
    Charlton - Matt Tees
  • Options
    General - Paul Gascoigne

Charlton - Robert Lee
  • Options
    Stonemuse,
    Bob Curtis used to play cards and smoke fags with my Dad in the British Oak, Old Dover Road, Blackheath, Public bar every Sunday lunchtime, also with my Uncle Nib and Uncle Doug. I used to have to sit outside with a bottle of lemonade and a bag of the original plain crisps with the cloth blue bag of salt.It is a shame that Bob Curtis does not want to take part in any of the Vets events.

Oggy Red,
    Your Dad lives in the village of Darenth then?
  • Options
    before i saw the light my dad used to take me to see man utd so they were my team. strangely, my 2 childhood heroes have palace and millwall connections, them being steve coppell and gordon hill.
    my 1st charlton hero was killer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Stonemuse,

Oggy Red,
    Your Dad lives in the village of Darenth then?

Yeah, South Darenth, Devon Road......