Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your early footballing heroes.....

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What about anti-heroes:

Barry Endean.......non-scoring centre forward who would have made Marcus Bent look prolific.

He was awful! Yet he got loads of goals for Watford a year or two before we bought him.
  • Options
    Charlton - Eddie Firmani, oozed class with every touch. Remember hat trick against Ipswich - 1st: a right wing cross flicked up with right foot and volleyed in with his left - 2nd: a right wing cross caught on left foot and volleyed in with right - 3rd: receiving pass around penalty spot killed the ball and stroked it into far right corner in one movement, seemed like slow motion with no Ipswich defender moving. Also a 5-2 win over Cardiff playing against John Charles - goals from Glover, Kenning, Edwards, Matthews and Firmani - I recall the Telegraph describing the each goal as a gem - settings it hardly need be said by.... Firmani

Other - Bobby Charlton receiving the ball anywhere around the 30 - 40 yard mark and hitting that thunderous shot - saw the 1966 World Cup semi against Portugal - where Charlton was outstanding

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Mike Kenning was an unsung hero, in 2 spells with Charlton.

A speedy winger, famous for his thunderous long distance piledrivers, I particularly remember a Boxing Day game home against Norwich when we were 3-0 down at half time and Mike Kenning, cutting in from the flanks scored twice and Gordon Bolland equalised (I think after 86 mins) in a barnstorming grandstand finish.
    3-3, one of the classic Charlton fightbacks of my early days.
  • Options
    Hoddle (met him briefly once as an eight year old when Spurs visited Bermuda... realised he was a prick then, but a wizard on the field nonetheless).

Only seen Paddy Powell on video, but wish I'd seen him play live. Majestic on the wing and real hero material, so gets my vote.
  • Options
    The amazing thing about Paddy was he only turned pro at 25 years old - we signed him from non-league Barnet.

Did all the basic stuff brilliantly and could dribble and cross a ball. He always believed he couldn't shoot but just about every goal he scored was walloped in from outside the box. If he had a weakness, it was only that he was a little one paced and he would have come second in a sprint with, say, Rommerdahl - if he'd been around at the time. :o)

Arsenal were once looking at him but the big time escaped him. When then First Division Derby County signed Derek Hales for mega bucks in 1976, they should have taken Paddy too - to supply Killer's ammunition.

But we all thought the world of Paddy - and he always found time to be friendly and chat to supporters. He also ran 279 FC in the Woolwich & District League. Class bloke.

Paddy Powell - Charlton legend!
  • Options
    Right on cue - who should be featured right now on the OS?

Complete with picture showing him flying down the wing. :o)
  • Options
    My first CAFC heroes were Jim Melrole, Mark Reid, Peter Shirtliff, Jonny Humphrey, and big Steve Mackenzie.....First season.

I was always a fan of Shilton as a keeper and Ray Clemence. I was always one of those when playing 3 and in over the park.
  • Options
    Pat Jennings - Tony Galvin early years
    Tommy Caton
  • Options
    Poor old Tommy Caton.....had to retire soon after we were finally relegated from the old First division under Lennie Lawrence. Two years later he was found dead, apparently of a heart attack. He was aged just 30 years old.
  • Options
    Sad news about tommy caton, other players would include Billy Bonds,Ray Harford,John Hewie and Mick Rose. A differnet era and players with a different attitude but always stick in the back of my mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Badger, well done for bringing up Billy Bonds.....boy prodigy right back, flogged to West Ham in 1967 for £50,000 - a ton of money for a struggling 2nd Division club in those days. Not only did it pay the wages for the rest of that season but we had a new boy prodigy right back ready to step into his boots, 17 year old Bobby Curtis.

Everyone will know Bonds' story after he joined West Ham, played for England just once I believe, West Ham stalwart and skipper for about 100 years before he became manager there. Eventually his 'bubbles' blowed no more and he left West Ham under a cloud. Doing a bit of football on the radio, these days, I believe.
  • Options
    I know this is really controversial and Im probably gonna get slate but I have always though Maradona was obviously absolutley superb and although he shafted us I used to watch the Mexico 86 vid with total awe he was just amazing... so although not a hero certainly an extraordinary talent....

86 certainly had some spice.... Platini, Laudrup, Beutragrano, careca, Lineker, Strachan(hehe), beardsley, Barnes, rummineger(germ), Francescoli (uraguy),

loved it...
  • Options
    Well done Badger, Grapevine and Oggy for bringing up Billy Bonds and Eddie Firmani.

I remember Bonds as a rampaging ,overlapping right back who was almost as effective as an extra attacker as he was a defender. He even gave the great Len a run for the title of my favourite player at that time.

I also remember the Ipswich game Graevine refers to. Firmani had not long returned to us and young as I was his sheer class stood out that day and I'm pleased that I witnessed something of the great Firmani. He must have been a real handful at his peak in the fifties and early sixties.
  • Options
    Killer
  • Options
    Looks like you got left behind, Leftbehind. ;-)
  • Options
    Hewie,glover & Firmani & bonds & Peacock all in the same team,what a combination, all great players and a joy 2 watch. As Grapevine 49 says firmani scored a hat-trick against ipswich and he also scored a hat-trick against Plymouth Argyle.
  • Options
    Charlton Bobby Curtis. That dyed hair and relegation saving midfield performance

All Trevor Hockey That beard!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]Charlton Bobby Curtis. That dyed hair and relegation saving midfield performance

Yeah, Ken, Bobby Curtis and his bottle blonde hair..... ;-)
  • Options

First Charlton hero.......Kevin Lisbie.

No, not really, only joking.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No you weren't! He was a promising youngster when we were lads:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's true, Lenny. Truth is that Lisbie is a lot older than us.
    Shame he's been let go so early in his career - such a fine young prospect....... ;-)
  • Options
    K Dalglish / D Hales / L Berry....
  • Options
    bumped
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2008
    Charlton: Killer

Other: Charlie George

International: Socrates
  • Options
    Charlton - Johnny H, Garry Nelson, John Robinson, Simon Webster

Non Charlton - Ricky Hill, Cryuff
  • Options
    When I was a kid it was Paul walsh & Simonson, As I got older it was Leaburn purley cos I'd know him for years as we played for the same teams growing up, what a brilliant centre half he was, then he ends up playing as a striker!

Non Charlton was Terry Mcderrmot of Liverpool, the 7th goal against spurs when he run the entire lenght of the pitch and meet the cross full pelt, brilliant goal. Great player, never understood why he didn't win more England caps.
  • Options
    Terry Naylor

When I started going in 1980 Naylor was right back and really solid! I was gutted when he broke his leg in a testimonial against West Ham at the Valley!!

Of that era as a kid...Paul Walsh and Paul Elliot.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    would have to be Zico as my fav of all time

then Johnny H was the first charlton player i looked towards to say thank feck he plays for us
  • Options
    Charlton - Rob Lee
    Otherwise - Ian Rush