Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your early footballing heroes.....

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Charlton - Ray Treacy & Charlie Wright
    Others - Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters & Bobby Moore

Yes, I was almost tempted to support the Happy Hammers!!
  • Options
    Charlton - Killer
    Others - Jimmy Johnstone
  • Options
    Charlton - Matt Tees and Ray Treacy
    Others - Peter Osgood and Peter Bonetti
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A year ago, me and a few other old hands discussed our boyhood heroes from the 60' & 70's.

So someone more recent .......Paolo di Canio.

He was what, 36? when Mr Curbishley showed what a good manager he could be - and signed him on a free.
    And Paulo consistantly showed that even at his age, he had flair & creativity in abundance - a real quality performer.

But the one thing that really stood out for me, was the sheer exuberance, enthusiasm & passion he showed for playing the game - and even when he'd been subbed, he was in his head still kicking every ball and urging on his team mates from the touchline.

Also his undoubted flair for recognising talent & ability - for it was he that pronounced Kevin Lisbie the most prodigiously skilful player at The Valley.

How could he say that ...... what on earth did di Canio know about football ???????
    ;o)

Other team's players - Robin Friday:

Click on this Linky - Robin Friday[/url]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Friday

If you've never heard of Robin Friday, then you just have to clink on the link !
  • Options
    For Charlton - Keith Peacock as a little kid. Paul Walsh when I got a bit older.

Others - Joe Jordan (more for his lack of teeth than his football), and for some inexplicable reason Mick Mills.
  • Options
    Charlton: - Killer

Others: - Ian Rush
  • Options
    Charlton - was Johnny H until he went to the dark side..........I was more gutted about that than when Parker left!!!!! So Walshie took over & cemented it after THAT goal! But having met them both at our Dad's sponsered match I can't really split them!

England - Ray Wilkins - I just love players who give it their all & then some. Sharing the same plane & then the same breakfast table with him some years later left me completely lost for words.............which is no mean feet!
  • Options
    Old
    Eddie Firmani
    Bobby Charlton

90's
    Richard Rufus
    Paul Gascoigne
  • Options
    eddie firmani
    ray tracey
    derek hales

derek dougan
    bobby charlton
    peter osgood
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]then Johnny H was the first charlton player i looked towards to say thank feck he plays for us

amen to that dude
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stuart Leary ...class
    Killer ....deadly
    Keith Peacock... Kept us up almost on his own sometimes
    . Paddy ...I can still see him winning free kicks, when he couldnt get past a defender
    Alan Simmonson...How did we ever get a player of his quality in our team ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]
    Alan Simmonson...How did we ever get a player of his quality in our team ?

£350,000 transfer fee, wages 3 times higher than any other player - and bullshit so blinding he must have thought he was joining Liverpool
  • Options
    Cheers Oggy, I knew there had to be a reason.;0)
  • Options
    Garry Nelson
    Bob Bolder
    John Robinson
  • Options
    ray teacy
    matt tees
    killer
    paddy
  • Options
    Charlton- Hales
    General- Allan Clarke......Leeds,Leeds,Leeds....well I was only 4..
  • Options
    Charlton - Jim Melrose - his goals at the tail end of 86/87 kept us up
    Non-CAFC - Clive Allen for his tally of 49 goals in said season. Being a kid that's what I though football was about, scoring goals!
  • Options
    General - Peter Shilton, was in to goalkeeping when I first got in to football during the 1990 world cup.
    Charlton - er...Rufus? Maybe Leaburn, not 100% sure about that.
  • Options
    Peter Lorimer and Eddie Gray.
  • Options
    Charlton-Killer

General- Shilton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pitcher
    Peakie
    Curbishley

Pure (sideways) entertainment!!
  • Options
    Charlton-Jim Melrose

Non Charlton- Gazza
  • Options
    No Holland for you Morts?
  • Options
    Sorry this isnt a current day subject!
    You could start a new thread, though?
  • Options
    Well obviously Killer is going to be up there, but actually Ray Treacy was my early Charlton hero and who I wanted to emmulate as a kid. Later Paddy Powell took up that mantle, I just loved the way he hugged the line and then just exploded into action when the ball was at his feet.

Outside of Charlton it is a fairly standard list of Pele, Georgie Best and Bobby Charlton
  • Options
    Maradona...no one could blow snow like he could