Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your early footballing heroes.....

Comments

• Options
    Bobby Curtis was my first Charlton hero.
    Took me a while to find a non-Charlton one - Bryan Robson, England captain. I just loved his perm! shame he's gone a bit down hill since!!
  • Options
    Charlton - Has to be Hales
    General - Big Paul Mcgrath and for some strange reason Paul mariner ( havent a clue why !!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Stonemuse,
    Bob Curtis used to play cards and smoke fags with my Dad in the British Oak, Old Dover Road, Blackheath, Public bar every Sunday lunchtime, also with my Uncle Nib and Uncle Doug. I used to have to sit outside with a bottle of lemonade and a bag of the original plain crisps with the cloth blue bag of salt.It is a shame that Bob Curtis does not want to take part in any of the Vets events.

Good memories!
  • Options
    At school, AFKA was the one I used to look up to. He had everything (apart from the height!). One of the most skillful players I had the pleasure to play with and against many times.

For Spurs, I've had a few heroes - the first of 'em was Hoddle with Clive Allen. Then along came Gascoigne (who will live forever in my heart for the freekick he scored against Ars*nal in the '91 Semi Final) then of late, Ginola, King and Keane. A special mention for Nayim though - his goal from the halfway line in the ECWC Final against Ars*nal was special but his hatrick against Man City in the FA Cup at Maine Road provided me with my best ever away day - 7 goals, a deliberately missed penalty by Sheringham and a pitch invasion - one of the top 3 games I've had the pleasure to see.

If they keep on playing the way they have been, Berbatov and Zokora will be up there as well.
  • Options
    George Best
    Charlton - Killer, Paddy Powell, Richie Bowman and for some reason Jimmy Giles!!!
  • Options
    David Ginola. Remember watching him score a fantastic goal against Ferencvaros in the Uefa Cup (Circa 95) and trying to replicate it for years.
  • Options
    Like Stone I too was an early fan of Ray Treacy along with Mike Kenning and Keith Peacock they were names that my dad noted in his little book of Charlton games and scorers. Then Paul Walsh, he was magical, used to go and see the odd Luton game just to watch him weave his magic.

Early 70's 'heros' outside CAFC included Alan Hinton a wonderful winger who supplied superb crosses for Kevin Hector. He also wore white boots. I also liked Currie, Worthington, Tony Bomber Brown, Jeff Astle, Dave Wagstaff, Dougan, Stan Bowles, Bob Latchford, Asa Hartford, Allan sniffer Clarke, Eddie Gray, a young Trevor Francis at B'ham City, Keith Weller, Gerry Francis, Mick Channon the list could on and on. Interestingly though they were the worst England players as after 1970 we did not go to another World Cup until 1982
  • Options
    Favourite - Trevor Hockey, beard, headband, absolutely mad; not big but no fear and hard!!!
    Charlton - Paul Mortimer : he could have been England's best? What went wrong Paul?
  • Options
    Non Charlton - Jimmy White
    Charlton - Allan Simonsen, the reason I started going Charlton - then after him it was Ronnie Moore!
  • Options
    Great to see the original Paddy 7 getting so many plaudits. In my utterly biased eyes back then, Derby missed a trick not taking him along with Killer, as he seemed to suppjy half his goals. Exciting winger on the pitch, allowed to express himself in those crazy Andy Nelson days; an even greater hero off it.
    I was once training (ie running round like a headless chicken) for a non-descript Sunday side at the above-mentioned Kidbrooke school when Paddy, who'd come to see his son in a school play, recognised me from the half-way line on the High Bank where he always acknowledged us before kick-off. He tapped me on the shoulder, pulled me aside, and told me to slow down and have a look. Couldn't believe it - I hadn't even seen him but he'd been watching for about five minutes. Stay with me!... After the Greatest Game at Wembley, when I finally pulled myself away from the terraces, he appeared out of nowhere again (well, the players bar) to grab me for a mutual tear-stained victory jig. I've since realised he'd just completed the legendary radio commentary. At a time when players leave the club so readily, thank God he's still around. (Excuse the rambling self-indulgence).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nice stuff Paddy, i still see him occassionaly as my mate plays in the same team as his son. I told him a while ago we had the play off commentary up on the site and he seemed well chuffed.
  • Options
    Good to know that AFKA. Always felt he never quite got the recognition that went to Killer/Flash/KP
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Good to know that AFKA. Always felt he never quite got the recognition that went to Killer/Flash/KP

Agree totally. He created so many of their goals.
  • Options
    Actally....

Harry Gregory!
  • Options
    My first hero was Peter Reeves. My best mate at primary school used to live next door to his mum in Eltham and Peter used to vist her on a Thursday afternoon. So the Charlton fans from Henwick used to hang around outside his house until he turned up. Used to stand and chat and have a kick about in the road. Really nice bloke. A few years ago, the gas man turned up to read the meter and it was Peter Reeves. It was a pity that he couldn't stay too long but I reminded him about those days in the mid 60's and he said he remembered. He was a classy centre half. It was a pity that his career was cut short by a knee injury.
  • Options
    My Heroes as a kid were John Barnes, Ian Rush & Zico.

I used to play in goal for my school, so Bob Bolder was my Charlton favourite.
  • Options
    Charlton : Paddy Powell

Others : Stan Bowles / Tony Currie
  • Options
    Charlton: Killer - the beard! & Leroy Ambrose (natch) - the fro!
    Non Charlton: Cruyff - sometimes made me cry watching him play for Barca (I was only five, mind)
  • Options
    CAFC: Robert Lee
    OTHERS: Bryan Robson, John Barnes
  • Options
    All my footballing heroes are Charlton, as the rest don't matter

1st off was Willie Duff - had a very hard job taking over from Sam Batram and was a hell of a character.
    Johnny Summers was better than Hales - IMO
    John Hewie - played in every position and always cool, calm & collected.
    Lenny Glover - pure class
    Mike Kenning & Paddy Powell flying down the wings
    Mike Bailey as a player - solid dependable and tough
    Lennie Lawrence - did as much as anyone has ever done to keep Charlton alive.
    Steve Brown - one of the best one club defenders and reserve goalkeepers
    Clive Mendonca - never forget those Wembley goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amazing reading about people's choices from the 60's & 70's - I thought most people on this board grew up during & after the Selhurst years, but here you all are talking about the Ray Treacy's & Bob Curtis's and so many more from those eras - players who I thought most people on here had never seen.

Sure, most have seen Killer, whether playing or latterday Valley icon - but good memories of Paddy Powell, not only for his footballing ability but also when a player, for his friendliness to ordinary supporters off the park.
    And of course, you can still chat to him today while he's cutting the grass!
  • Options
    For me one of the most underated players for charlton has to be Ray Tracey He was wonderfull,i also remeber brian kinsey,eddie firmani,mike kenning,charlie wright,MattTees,Len Glover,john hewie and also bob bolder,arthur horsfield and many more,we have had some truly great players over the years.
    have to agree with oggy red and lancashire red
    oh and by the way... arry arry gregory oh arry arry....
  • Options
    How could I forget Arthur Horsfield.......!

When 100 of us supporters and the victorious promotion team travelled together to the Tunisia tournament in 1975, we all had a great time mixing socially with the players at the Hotel.

'King' Arhur was a great favourite with all of us, not just for his goal scoring prowess, but for his jocular style and humourous storytelling.

On the plane home, he was sat next to me and told me many of his escapades with all his clubs - and his ambitions for the future.

King Arthur - Charlton legend!
  • Options
    killer and nicky johns
    zico and socrates
  • Options
    CAFC - Jim Melrose

Other - Clive Allen

International - Emilio Butragueno (sp)
  • Options
    CAFC Charlie Wright what a character

Other Bobby Charlton what a gent

Foreign Pele what a player
  • Options
    What about anti-heroes:

Barry Endean.......non-scoring centre forward who would have made Marcus Bent look prolific.
  • Options
    Others - Bobby Tambling
    CAFC - Ray Treacy
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ray Treacy was my first Charlton hero. Somewhere I've still got that Charles Buchan's Football Monthly poster of him!! Ha ha.
  • Options
    "Mars Bars, Beano & Ray Treacy" - chant on 'Valley Away' coaches amongst us (then!) younger away supporters, circa 1971.

"Raaaaaaaay Traaaay-cee, Raaaaaay Traaaaaay-cee, Raaaaaay Traaaaay-cee!" - the Covered End would sing after he scored (well after Knees Up Mother Brown).

"We've got Peacock on the outside wing and TREACY in the middle,
    When the ball's in the back of the net
    You'll hear the Covered End roar - ROAR.
    And all you lads & lasses
    With all your smiling faces
    All go down the Covered End
    To see the Charlton Aces!"

(alternative: to see the boots & braces!)

A couple of chants from the past featuring Ray Treacy......