Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Oxford v Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Could rue missing the 3 points today the way some of the other results are going 
  • Options
    I'd have had Page for an hour then Marshall. We could have been out of sight. Don't rest the divisions best CH.
  • Options
    Solly such a shadow of the player he was. Plays like he's worried about getting injured again.
  • Options
    Was always going to be Play Offs, wasn't it?

Great run by the boys, now to start a new one all the way to a win at Wembley.

COYRs
  • Options
    I'd have had Page for an hour then Marshall. We could have been out of sight. Don't rest the divisions best CH.
    Purrington was taken ill too late for either of them to be involved. Should've been Sarr left back being left footed and Solly never works there. Poor decision by Bowyer but hey ho, playoffs it is. 
  • Options
    Plus points ... missed the traffic jams on the M25, got a parking space, right outside the exit, got a sun tan, met @AFKABartram and his son, got a quick getaway .... err, that’s it really. As for the match, although we had plenty of possession, didn’t really do anything with it. Think Bow got got tictacs wrong today. After doing so well against Luton with 2 up top, to go with the lone striker didn’t work. Oh well, onwards and upwards. At least we’re in the play offs and we have that to look forward to 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    We can't be too hard on Solly playing out of position. He can sometimes do a job at LB, today wasn't that day.

We went with 2 up top against Luton because we had two decent strikers. Two up top with one of them Parker is a different kettle of fish. He showed a couple of times today how he needs too much time. He is probably League 2 which explains why a poor Gillingham side were happy to get rid.

It could be a blessing in disguise. Bowyer may be tempted to rest Taylor in a game or two - I know I would be. Losing him would be a disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we were going to miss out on the top two I feel like it's better to know now, than to have some sort of hope snatched away on the last day and have to come back from it. That's the only positive to take from today 

Solly, Williams and Reeves were absolute gash. Parker is a waste of space, what a shame we panicked on deadline day and got him rather than wait on the free agents. 

Pearce at the back kills our ability to play from the back. He's a great defender by Sarr offers so much more to our overall play.

Bielik and Cullen had off days and therefore we just never really clicked from midfield, and we were just so wasteful with set pieces.

Now we just need to be sensible with the squad, but still carry some momentum into the playoffs 
  • Options
    That is a fair point - Solly had a poor game playing out of position. That should mitigate criticism to be observational rather than personal. he did have a poor game though and his sending off seemed justified to me.
  • Options
    Are Purrington and Igor going to be OK for Monday?  More importantly, are they going to be OK for the play-offs?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I'd be happy if we played largely a reserve side on Monday. Purrington was sick so unless it is something serious like the Plague he will be fine for the play offs. I think Igor was a tight hamstring rather than a pulled hamstring. Today's result will mean we treat this injury conservatively which is absolutely the right thing to do. With Igor, he needs a few more games but not at any expense.
  • Options
    Hope Solly isn't considered a starter next year. Too many games where he's clearly our worst player. 

Bringing Parker on was a mistake, would have rather packed the midfield and pushed the 'wingers' up. 
    Tough for Solly playing on the wrong side. Not quite the equivalent of sticking Lyle Taylor in goal I accept but difficult to shine out of position in my opinion.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Peterborough have dropped points at Fleetwood, which means our top six finish is now mathematically confirmed 
    Looking more and more like Sunderland over two legs .

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    Peterborough have dropped points at Fleetwood, which means our top six finish is now mathematically confirmed 
    Looking more and more like Sunderland over two legs .

Or not.
    They have just scored .
  • Options
    Good, we want the teams competing for second to be in it till the death and be frustrated at missing out now.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Only real redeeming point was a clear drive back and getting home for 5pm. 

Was sadly one one of those afternoons. Thought we played some fabulous stuff first half hour and looked like it could be a big score day. Two goals in two chances knocked the stuffing and confidence out of us and we lost our way after that.

i actually thought Solly had a good game, ditto Aribo, who looked a cut above at times. Solly and Williams main fault it seemed from those around me were their inability to hit 80 yard cross field balls to Reeves every time they got the ball. 

Thought both Bielik and Bauer were notably below their usual standard, Bielik in particular looked very tired this afternoon. Dijksteel really needs to work on his final third delivery if he is going to shine. 

Overall, a very Charlton afternoon and my boys first away game ended in disappointment. Sadly never expected anything less. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well that was fun.  Never underestimate the pleasure that being a Charlton fan can bring.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Rob said:
    It was just one of those games for me and we didn't play badly. It's just things really did go Oxford's way and it's difficult to put the finger on why. Robinson luck/blarney? Who knows. 

We started strongly and got the early penalty. 1-0 and deserved but Oxford hit back with two quick goals that, on another day, could have gone anywhere. For me that was the pattern of the game after that culminating in that save from the substitute goalie. We just never really got going and when we did it just seemed luck was on Oxford's side.

I thought Reeves was the weak link at HT and wasn't surprised to see him substituted. At HT I also couldn't see where the goals were coming from so I could understand why Bowyer brought on Parker but he is just not the kind of player to play with Lyle and that showed. Lyle Taylor needs a certain type of player up there with him otherwise he just isn't the same player. Bowyer recognizes that and moulded first Grant and then Igor which was starting to work. So, Igor not being there was a big loss, but we know he's made of glass.

So, just a bad day at the office. I thought Solly didn't have the best game at LB and, like I said, I thought Reeves was weak but, apart from that, the rest played pretty well. Cullen, Williams and Bielik were strong coming through the middle. Aribo was more on his game today. I thought Bauer and Pearce were strong in the middle at the back and Lyle was a nuisance all day up front.

So, onwards and upwards. It was just a shame it was against Robinson who, for some reason, I just don't like.

COYR!!   
    I echo this although I felt we had too many players who did have poorer games today.  We can afford maybe one not to be at the races like Aribo was off colour in the first half against luton, but we turned it around.  Today, apart from the opening up until their equaliser, too many off colour.  It happens, they’re not machines, and our balance I believe was totally thrown by losing Purrington and Vetokele, especially after last week’s win.

pleasure to meet @PeterGage and I have every faith we can turn it round and pick ourselves up for the playoffs 
    Likewise, nice to meet you.
  • Options
    Considering we probably weren’t going to finish top 2, that could end up being a good result. Barnsley, Pompey, Sunderland and Doncaster all having to go flat out for the next 3 games. We need to protect our injury prone players and give the kids game time. Playoffs are ours. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Hope Solly isn't considered a starter next year. Too many games where he's clearly our worst player. 

Bringing Parker on was a mistake, would have rather packed the midfield and pushed the 'wingers' up. 
    Tough for Solly playing for the wrong side. Not quite the equivalent of sticking Lyle Taylor in goal I accept but difficult to shine out of position in my opinion.
    Explains everything...
  • Options
    The stats are deceptive - 55 per cent possession, 20 shots, 14 corners - because most eyewitnesses say we were shyte.

Wrong decision to play Solly at left back; Sarr has demonstrated he's far the better player in this position.  And conceptually wrong to start with only one striker.  For God's sake, we suffered all that lone striker syndrome under Gobinson - ironically.

Of course choices were limited, with Igor injured.  Evidently, Parker is a dud.  But the manager and coaches should have educated another striker over the course of the season.  What's Umerah doing on loan?

No great loss that our slender hope of second place is finally extinguished.  This defeat shouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of the play-offs.  But we've got to smarten up our act before those crucial games. 

• Options
    Give the young strikers from the youth some minutes on Monday, Parker is not the answer unfortunately! 

Id much rather lose momentum and rest key players than keep momentum going and look tired and leggy in the playoffs!
  • Options
    The stats are deceptive - 55 per cent possession, 20 shots, 14 corners - because most eyewitnesses say we were shyte.

Wrong decision to play Solly at left back; Sarr has demonstrated he's far the better player in this position.  And conceptually wrong to start with only one striker.  For God's sake, we suffered all that lone striker syndrome under Gobinson - ironically.

Of course choices were limited, with Igor injured.  Evidently, Parker is a dud.  But the manager and coaches should have educated another striker over the course of the season.  What's Umerah doing on loan?

No great loss that our slender hope of second place is finally extinguished.  This defeat shouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of the play-offs.  But we've got to smarten up our act before those crucial games. 

Thought were dangerous in first half with one up top with Aribo supporting and width. Bowyer changed it second half with two and Aribo deeper. Didnt work.
    Thought Phillips should have got free kick. No where near the corner. 
    Agree re Williams and Reeves. Neither can pass 
  • Options
    Phillips at fault for the second. If he had stood in the middle of the goal he could have caught it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I love Bows, JJ, Solly,  this squad

BOWS AND JJ got it wrong in my opinion today. 
    Solly, I've been watching him closely most games this season and in my deep down honest opinion he looks terrified to have the ball. Without the ball yes, he is rarely in wrong position, with the ball, bar a top drawer cross at Plymouth he has contributed nothing. Dijksteel doesn't offer much more and again, in my opinion is level with solly when he has the the ball but behind him when he doesn't have possession. There isn't a lot in it tbh, RB is a weakness, again IMO. 

Good players are good with and without the ball, this is what sets them apart. 
    As said above, our fate is now known and can plan properly, and rest players to our 3 finals in May, my only concern is Bows and JJ don't know who there best side is at the moment. 

Not fishing,  honest opinion.