Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Oxford v Charlton

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer has to take part responsibility as I believe he signed too many CMs. I know it’s his preferred formation but we all know from Robinson we need other options. Did we really need Williams when you look at the players we had? I believe an attacking midfielder/winger would have been a better shout. Of course the majority of the blame is with Roland but Bowyer has contributed to the slight unbalance. 

In his defence, we have two in Marshall and Fosu who have been woeful. 
    I think Williams is a game changer. He might not have scored any goals yet but he's the one player who gets on the ball, runs at defenders with the right balance of pace and skill to either create a chance or draw a foul. Exactly the kind of player we'll need for the play offs where you just need one moment of magic to make a difference.
    The problem is that it doesn't happen enough.

I know it's not a 100% reliable way of judging him (as Taylor missed a sitter that Williams laid on) but so far Williams has 0 goals and 1 assist which isn't a great return so far. Fosu incidentally has 2 goals and 4 assists, Marshall 1 goal and 1 assist, Reeves (who's played more matches) 4 goals and 4 assists
  • Options
    Bowyer has to take part responsibility as I believe he signed too many CMs. I know it’s his preferred formation but we all know from Robinson we need other options. Did we really need Williams when you look at the players we had? I believe an attacking midfielder/winger would have been a better shout. Of course the majority of the blame is with Roland but Bowyer has contributed to the slight unbalance. 

I think Williams is a game changer. He might not have scored any goals yet but he's the one player who gets on the ball, runs at defenders with the right balance of pace and skill to either create a chance or draw a foul. Exactly the kind of player we'll need for the play offs where you just need one moment of magic to make a difference.
    When has he changed a game for us? In fairness to Bowyer you can’t criticise the signing on paper but he’s ineffectual for the most part and I would much prefer a different type of player? 
    The numerous chances he creates. The fact our strikers don't take their chances when created is not down to Williams but if you want me to be specific there's the chance v Bradford Taylor missed from six yards which immediately springs to mind.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Scoham said:
    Davo55 said:
    Mixed feelings about playing too many significantly weaker/untried players in our remaining games. I get the point about resting our better players for the play offs but going into those matches with a positive winning momentum is absolutely crucial. 
    Unless we go up he’ll be blamed whichever choice he goes with.

If we play our strongest team and our better players miss the play-offs due to injury then “Bowyer should have rested our key players”

If he rests them and don’t get some good results in the next few games “always play your strongest team”
    Agree with the above.

I think he has to try and steer a middle course really. We know the likes of Vetokele, Page and Williams are made of glass and Solly's knees need resting periodically. Therefore he 'manages' their appearances and trusts to luck with the rest of them. Maybe give a game off to those who have played nearly every match (Taylor for instance) but otherwise keep it going.
    Well Solly is now missing for the next three games maybe four depending on the rules of his earlier red card

Although that was two bookings rather than a straight red so god knows

Like Forster-Caskey I'd be surprised if we see Page before the Rochdale game, both had full pre-seasons yet Lewis has only been out for two months less than Jake
    Solly will get the appropriate sanction for yesterday's red card i.e. three matches, plus an extra game ban for each red card previously received this season i.e. one.

Therefore no 20 will be missing until the second leg of the play-off semi final.
  • Options
    Posting without reading

fukl backs were both awful today on a day that we needed them to provide the difference.

we bossed the game for the first 15 mins and scored but didn’t take the advantage!

they scored from two set pieces and then did a job on us. Jamie mackie plays the innocent but he is a bloody thug.

not good enough today, let’s hope we bounce back on. Monday. I would play fosu and Marshall and rest Williams 

Ah, clever Carl!

A cheeky, clandestine approach to trying disguise the enigma that is starting a post with 'PWR'! 

Good attempt, I must say. But it doesn't change the price of fish mate; 'no one cares'! 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Bowyer isn’t experimenting but what he obviously does is rotate the players when he doesn’t know who is in his best 11. He did it with Igor and Parker then decided it was Igor. 

Phillips, Purrington, Bauer, Bielik, Cullen, Williams, Aribo, Igor and Taylor have their places for the play offs. The fact he is trying Sarr, Pearce, Solly and Dijksteel shows those 2 places haven’t been determined. 
    Don’t think that’s why he’s rotated those positions at all. He puts Pearce in for an away day scrap, and plays Sarr at home when we tend to have more control. There’s no question in my mind that he’d play Sarr if we make Wembley. I think Solly gets rested to avoid the Saturday/Tuesday grind, and depending on who he has to mark.

Hoping Purrington’s illness clears up soon. Igor too, if he’s ill.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Posting without reading

fukl backs were both awful today on a day that we needed them to provide the difference.

we bossed the game for the first 15 mins and scored but didn’t take the advantage!

they scored from two set pieces and then did a job on us. Jamie mackie plays the innocent but he is a bloody thug.

not good enough today, let’s hope we bounce back on. Monday. I would play fosu and Marshall and rest Williams 

If we rest Williams much more he'll fall into a coma :-)
  • Options
    Williams is a cut above and was too good to turn down. I think it was opportunistic and Palace are most likely covering most of the costs.
    It was hoped he would be, But he isn't.
    He's just a slightly better Reeves.
    Both players delight in turning round in circles, rather than passing the bloody ball.
  • Options

Williams might not have scored any goals. But he's the one player who gets on the ball, turns round in a circle, ignores the easy pass to unmarked players screaming for a pass. Then runs into defenders and loses the ball more often than not.:smile:

• Options
    I wasn’t at the match and didn’t hear the commentary but game after game Lifers and LB say words like “we should have taken our chances in front of goal”.

It seems we rarely do and that will be our undoing if we aren’t promoted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are appealing the red card, so expect a frivolous appeal and the suspension to them cover the playoffs
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    We are appealing the red card, so expect a frivolous appeal and the suspension to them cover the playoffs
    It looked a pretty poor challenge, watching the TV coverage and right in front of the referee too who had the best view of anyone
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It looked a pretty poor challenge, watching the TV coverage and right in front of the referee too who had the best view of anyone
    Poor challenge is usually a yellow though. But I’m not optimistic about this appeal either. 
  • Options
    Wow..

for me Solly in the right position is one of our best.. not so out of position.

no cutting edge.

our season could well be decided on the form and fitness of Vetokele thanks to Roland’s antics in January
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    Poor challenge is usually a yellow though. But I’m not optimistic about this appeal either. 
    The narrative supporting "Serious Foul Play", ie a red card is "using excessive force". There is no doubt that Solly's challenge comes within that definition. Best of luck with an appeal on that one !
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    The narrative supporting "Serious Foul Play", ie a red card is "using excessive force". There is no doubt that Solly's challenge comes within that definition. Best of luck with an appeal on that one !
    PeterGage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    How do you call that excessive force, he was a split second late in what would otherwise have been a 50/50! 

Both players went for the ball. Unfortunately one hot clipped and rolled about like he had shattered his leg I 50 places. 

Whilst his team mate violently shoved Solly and not even a booking.
  • Options
    I was a little surprised that the shove on Solly wasn’t punished but in the Plymouth game the other week one of their players did a two handed push on the refs shoulders without any action being taken so maybe that’s not as serious as it used to be
  • Options
    We could have lost 2 players when Lapslie took out their striker and Philips pushed the ref ? 
  • Options
    We could have lost 2 players when Lapslie took out their striker and Philips pushed the ref ? 
    Lapslie should have gone but I don't recall Philips pushing the ref.

Sorry but sometimes it feels like as a club we over-react to every red card issued out, if we keep appealing these red cards one of these days i'm sure they will extend someone's ban by a game to teach us a lesson appealing for every red card we get. I hope it's not Solly who gets it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Robinson may be a clown in the eyes of Cafc fans but just like Steve Evans when he's in the opposite dug out he can see where the Charlton weaknesses lie.

Finding out an hour before KO that Igor wasn't fit and Solly was playing LB was a hammer blow to our chances of winning. 

The underated Purrington have fitted in so well and yet I hear he no Wiggins or Page ! Thank fuck because they were/are always injured. And talking of always injured the loss of Igor meant we had 1 striker Taylor, who will drift to the wing and do great work BUT Houston we have a problem. Parker is no striker as he showed when passing to Solly instead of trying to go for goal himself. 

Two great strikes won the game for Oxford, 

I was against Sarr dropping out the team when we needed his attacking intent as well as his defensive abilities. Bauer lost his man for the goal and a great free kick won it.
    I realise Lee didn't have long to make up his mind but at least play Naby or Pearce who are Left footed players at LB. I know we got away with Solly at LB in a couple of home games but in an away match where we needed to win !

How we go into the playoffs with a competitive 11 is looking unlikely as  I'm still not sure we have finished a game without an injury, suspension or a recalled loanee this season, bizarre to say the least in this never ending Roland Saga season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great awareness to know where the ball is to make that second save

A lot of Footballers would have made themselves dizzy turning in circles trying to find where the ball had gone
  • Options
    So when that ball comes across we have Pearce and Bauer our 2 CB trying to score with Parker the other side of the keeper,
    With Taylor no where to be seen ?
    On a day when Cafc start with a Robinson Formation!

From 12 o'clock to 1pm I swear the game was lost or at least we would find it hard to win.
  • Options
    Few people mentioned Fosu has gone, have I missed something?
    i thought he had been dropped due to some poor performances.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I think there’s strong rumours he has been told he is free to go and that Bowyer isn’t going to play him again. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I think there’s strong rumours he has been told he is free to go and that Bowyer isn’t going to play him again. 
    Wow , that's a bold call from Bowyer if true !
  • Options
    Horsfield9 said:m
    Redhenry said:
    Wow , that's a bold call from Bowyer if true !
    Not just bold but stupid imho. The players that LB is using as an alternative (Lapslie & Morgan) havent scored a league goal between them.

I wonder if Louis Mend has the bottle to ask the question at the next presser. Doubt it. 
  • Options
    Looks looks more like Dean Ashton and far too tall for Solly.
  • Options
    Regarding the Lapslie challenge late on. 100% he would’ve been sent off if he had denied a goal scoring opportunity, but Oxford still had one, as their other player latched onto the ball and missed the one-on-one. I think the yellow card was correct. 

And while Solly’s tackle was late, it wasn’t dangerous (ie studs up/off the ground) and should have only been a yellow. Very much a case of levelling it up from the ref, who was poor throughout. 

Is a 3 game ban standard for a fractionally late challenge?