Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton Athletic 4 - Scunthorpe United 0

Comments

• Options
    PWR.
    I reckon it has all been said by now, but for all that Scunthorpe 'could' have scored a number of goals which were pathetically wasted, I reckon that if they had scored one we would have been able to up our game enough to win comfortably.
    Were Scunthorpe especially poor today, or are they always like this? They let down their travelling support with a decidedly couldn't be bothered type of performance, and for us it became a training exercise at half pace. It wasn't really a contest at all we were so dominant, but the goals we scored as they stacked up were each one of them a delight, with one in particular a special delight. Anfernee slotting it home after being very well played in, Aribo climbing like Dervite uncontested to thunder home a header, then hw won the ball and played in Igor who scored with a delightful steer inside the post with what looked like the outside of his right foot (it was his left foot against Luton), and then after a lengthy delay, taylor who had been hungry for a goal scored our best free kick of the season, notwithstanding Naby at Wimbledon.
    It was a totally dominant win, and a great response to the Oxford result. Very good overall management from Lee and Jacko today. It is what it is and we move on.

• Options
    Fantastic afternoon. Great end to the weekend 
  • Options
    This was my return from about 3 years of exile in protest at the Rat - and what a game to do it at!  I didn’t expect a 4-0 score line, that’s for certain. 

My Brother-in Law hasn’t felt the need to abstain, and has gently been prodding me to come to a game. 

I still detest the Rat but I may well go back to a season ticket for next season. It’s hard to break a commitment to boycott Roland’s pocket - but I may have to do that. 

It’s not lost on me that this may be the last season for a while that we see football like this, so I’m pleased I’ve managed to get a ticket (thanks Bro in Law) to Gillingham away next week. I’m almost certain to buy a ticket for the Rochdale game and await the playoffs with some anticipation. 
    Given a lot of players go out of contract over the summer, unless we see some money spent by either a new owner or The Rat I’m fearful for how it may go for 2019/20 either if we are up or remain in League One. 

Appreciate the opposition didn’t really try very hard today but it was great to see 4 goals getting banged in. 

Good to be back. 
  • Options
    A game that was never in doubt. 

Scunny had some clear chances and opened us up far too easily at times, but I can't help but feel that's because we kept taking out foot off the gas. Hopefully that won't be an issue come the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Result flattered us as they missed a number of sitters and we were very poor in the first half. Phillips was reliable as ever.

Taylor had an excellent second half and his first touch is outstanding. Loved the free kick and nice to see us finally score from a corner.

We were very careless in defence and lucky not to be punished.

Morgan did pretty well - more composed than Lapslie.
    Cafc were in second gear but we weren't really poor in the 1st half. Reeves was doing some great passes and Dijksteel was having a storming game even if he does make a few mistakes. We got hit by some counter attacks but considering Scunny needed to win more than we did I thought we did fine first half even if it should've be all square at HT.
    2nd half we went up to 3rd gear and scored 3 goals again for the Covered end faithful.
    Credit to Reeves for great delivery for Aribo's headed goal. Lovely assist for Igor's well taken strikers goal by Joe, Lyle Taylor Baby for taking a free kick that was so sublime.

Cafc declared afte 75 minutes when JFC made his comeback after 8 months out, Pratley did a comical cameo where he tried a Sarr like 40 yard pass which went straight into touch and Seb Lewis made his debut with a worm like performance to wrap up 3 points and make the Aggregate score against Scunthorpe 7-5.

Beautiful day, Beautiful score.
    Let's keep top gear for the play offs.
  • Options
    Couldn’t be bothered going but glad I relented. Had a nice couple of pints in the garden of the swan, a quick snog with the ever fragrant @Fanny Fanackapan on the way in (I didn’t want to vote, just went for the snog) and then a comfortable game. Felt like a pre season friendly for much of it and four flattered us although  we could have had more if we’d kept pressing. They should have had goals but look like a relegated side to me. Decent display from young Albie and great to see JFC back although he was understandably miles off the pace. I was getting fed up with Lyle today as he constantly tried worldy stuff instead of playing the simple ball but then he went and did that with the free kick and all is forgiven. Proper talisman. And he loves it. Good day out all in all. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Strange game, as we weren't brilliant but produced moments of real quality for our goals whereas Scunthorpe missed some absolute sitters. A weird lack of passion from them too, as if they were mid table going through the motions, indeed the game was a massive contrast to the Oxford game were a team who genuinely had nothing to play for put in far more effort. As the result the referee had an incredibly easy game.

Both Dijksteel and Reeves were much better than on Friday, while the returning Igor and Purrington really helped our shape. Indeed was slightly disappointed Reeves was taken off as he was playing well AND hardly needed resting. I would have brought Parker on at 4-0 too, he's not great but he's all we've got and if he had got a goal it would have done him some good. 

Defensively though we need to concentrate better, sloppy moments against the better teams will be punished
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I think the lads just went out and enjoyed themselves today. Which is a great way to approach the play offs. It wasn't a perfect performance, Scunthorpe looked like a team that missed on purpose sometimes, but it was comfortable and a good preparation for what is to come. It was a big, big game for Scunthorpe we should remember.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They did well then today if they had to readjust the tactics @ 1pm today

I wonder if that involved Albie Morgan coming into the starting line up and Forster-Caskey being on the bench

Or whether both were planned regardless
  • Options
    Drove behind KB on the way back from the game - he wasn't too clever getting over the level crossing. Needs to work on his timing.
  • Options
    At what stage do we save Bauer, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor, Igor for the playoffs ? I appreciate finishing 3rd/4th would be ideal, but I don’t think we win games without 2/3 of those 
  • Options
    I mean, that's churlish after a 4-0 win but this happens every time and I'm petrified it'll cost us in the playoffs. Otherwise we were excellent 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    At what stage do we save Bauer, Cullen, Aribo, Taylor, Igor for the playoffs ? I appreciate finishing 3rd/4th would be ideal, but I don’t think we win games without 2/3 of those 

wont be getting 3rd or 4th I'm afraid, unless Sunderland cock up massively. In fact I'm hoping they win the crunch match next Saturday as I don't want to face them in the play-offs at all for 2 reasons; 1) they look the best side I've seen this season & always look like they will score, but more importantly 2) if we do finish 5th (which is 90% likely) then that will mean travelling up their on a Thursday or Friday evening. Long drive & Golfie Jnr has his GCSE exams over that week...... don't think he'll be able to take any time off school (certainty wont be able to get up their after school ends at 3.35pm) 

to the game itself............

weird pre-season feeling to the game & didn't help that the Covered End had all gone to sleep (very quite boys......must do better). Started off playing some neat passing & bossed the midfield without creating very much - apart from one sumptuous 40 yard cross field ball from Reeves that put Morgan in on goal only for the youngster to fluff it. Now, although he had a great game & is miles better than Lapslie or Pratley, I pointed out only last night on here that Fosu should be in the squad as Morgan & Lapslie have not scored a league goal between them & would think Fosu would have done better in that position. Lapslie's miss v sunderland on the opening day of the season could prove vital at the end of the day (would have gone 2 nil up after 30 mins & we could have well won that game).........

However I digress........

won today without getting out of 2nd gear & Scunny were woeful considering they needed the win a lot more than we did. Probably one of the worst teams to visit us in terms of desire. We stepped it up after half time (like we usually do) and the 10 min period where we scored 3 goals sealed the game. Funny how I was moaning only last week about us not scoring from set pieces & then we score from a corner AND a free kick. London buses eh ??

Only moans for me was that Parker didnt get on  (4-0 up then please protect our main striker) or that he didn't come on for Vetokele (Pratley......really  ???) We can all see what a decent run in the side has done for Vetokele so surely 2 or 3 games would help Parker no end.

Hey ho. Looks like 5th place is nailed on & as I said above, looking for Sunderland to beat Pompey next Saturday or collapse completely.......but would prefer Pompey or Barnsley over 2 legs.

• Options
    Played ok for the most part and 4-0 was flattering but lots of positives to take. Pleased for Igor again, hope he keeps up this goalscoring. Morgan played well for the majority of the game. Taylor was unplayable. And rounded off with a JFC appearance. Happy day at the Valley
  • Options
    I feared for us believing Scunny would be getting really “stuck in”, they didn’t and we took full advantage, strange game with a great result!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Odd sort of game,if Scunthorpe had converted any of their sitters we could have been in trouble.Thought Taylors performance,especially the free kick,and some of his control of the ball out of the air,was outstanding.I really dont know why this guy has not had a career at a higher level.
  • Options
     We didn’t really have to try too hard for that but Scunthorpe could’ve had three goals very easily and with a very mediocre first half from Charlton it could’ve been a completely different result however the second-half we did change things and upped the tempo and people like Joe Aribo  began to play very well certainly after he scored a great goal. It just shows what the good side They are when they want to be. Lyle Taylor really is one of the star attractions And his goal was superb but then again they were all very good girls today and I think igor’s was possibly the best because of the way he has fully arrived at being the second striker for the team But the goal  from Taylor will probably be the goal of the season. The best we can hope for now is to go for fourth place and get the home advantage on whomever we play but today was all about regaining any confidence lost last Friday..
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Well Scunny were a bit like Bradford a few weeks back.
    You couldn't believe their lack of fight for a team in the relegation mire.

We played very well and won comfortably, without needing to find top gear.
    They stood off us and let us play and if you do that we usually win.
    Everyone had a good game.

It was great to see Morgan play well and JFC to get 20 mins and no apparent injuries.

We won at a stroll and on that showing & lack of fight I don't fancy Scunny's chance of survival.

Well played everyone.
    Echo these comments.

Scunthorpe looked doomed to me. The lack of fight as you’ve already said CE, was bewildering and worrying for the Iron supporters. As soon as we scored their heads dropped. Yes they created chances and missed some sitters, but I don’t believe that was all out of good play from them but more our defence switching off too often in periods throughout the game.

We looked so dangerous at times and it was a joy to watch. We have a frightening front two, with the best striker in the league, bar none, in my opinion. We have a midfield which is far too good for this league. We had balance back in the defence and it included play maker Sarr doing the business showing his fantastic skill and range of passing as well as doing his necessary defensive duties very well too.

We didn’t get out of second or third gear as I thought with twenty minutes or so to go, that we could’ve got at least a couple more if we wanted to go for it.

Take this into the play-offs with a fully fit squad and there ain’t a team in this league who can cope with it. The boys must have the same belief as Bows, and with that, a winning trip at Wembley is a very real possibility.
  • Options
    Just got back home, another enjoyable day. As I posted briefly on the match thread, the first half was well just a bit boring, yes AD took his goal well, but apart from that not much happened. Scunny had a couple of chances and on another day could well have taken them and, if so, we may have been up against it. However second half was completely different, we dominated scored 3 great goals and Taylor's first touch when the ball came out of the sky was sublime!! I hope they show it on the highlights!! Even though we were well on top Scunny missed a couple of sitters in the 2nd half as well, but to win 4-0 when playing ok'ish was a good way to go into the last 2 games of the regular season.
    My day was made before the match started when I bumped into the legend that is Keith Peacock, there was no-one else around just us two. I just said kind of awkwardly "Hello Mr Peacock", which is what I had to call him all those years ago, even though he was only about 6 years older than me at the time!! 
    He and I first met back in '67/68 when he taught tennis and Crown Woods during the close season, he taught me and a certain Richie Bowman.  We all know what Richie went on to do, as for me, well that's a different story. However Keith, as he told me to call him, stood and chatted for about 5 minutes before he had to go, he very kindly shook my hand and said I looked well, he also said he read Charlton Life and my match threads, that meant so much to me. He is a genuine geezer and this confirmed what Dick Tydeman also said and also what a gent Keith was when I worked with him in the 1980's. Thanks Keith and thanks Lee, I hope to see you all again next season as I am unable to make any more games this year.
    Good to see you on here Redmidland are you still traveling the globe?