Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton Athletic 4 - Scunthorpe United 0

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The importance of Sarr is he helps us negate the high press. Teams have definitely gotten some joy against us when they've been able to stop us passing out from the back by pressing high up the pitch and with energy. Sure, there is always the potential of a mistake, but Sarr is able to receive the ball, when marked, and step away from the closing down forward and then his raking crossfield passes can get us clear of the press. Picking him over Pearce doesn't significantly weaken us defensively, but it significantly improves us in attack.

Bowyer has clearly been keen to keep Pearce involved out of respect for his leadership and battling qualities, and rightly so because you have to respect Pearce's character and strengths, but unless there is a sudden and serious change in Naby's form (or an injury), I'd be very surprised if Pearce starts any of the play-off games ahead of Sarr.
    I'm not sure any of the goals on Monday came as a result of passes from the back though, and Scunthorpe were weak opposition who showed little energy anyway.

Naby was able to spray the ball around a lot, but that was because he was under no pressure most of the time. He wouldn't get that time in the playoffs
  • Options
    He sprays the ball around a lot every game.
  • Options
    Did it vs Luton and Portsmouth so no reason to think he can't have an impact in the play-offs.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    I’ve not been a great fan of Taylor. I went off him when the antics started a couple of months back. Whilst I always knew he was a good player, I felt the way he played would cost us. Of course, it did when he got sent off. All that said, I have been trying to weigh up his performance against Scunthorpe. To me, he looked like he was from a different universe. He freewheeled through the entire game like Messi did against Manchester United a couple of weeks ago. I turned to my son when he stood over the free kick and said “He scores this”. I didn’t think there was much doubt that he would . He looked over the 90 minutes like a premiership striker playing in league one. I also thought Aribo second half looked a different class. Two wonderful talents who without doubt will be sold off by this Belgian tosser for a lot less than market value. 
    ‘Some have posted that Scunthorpe had some chances. They did. However, anyone watching that game would know that Charlton were in second gear, they toyed with Scunthorpe like a cat with a mouse. Could have won 7 or 8 had they needed to. 
    I hope it’s Sunderland at Wembley. They have never beaten us in a playoff final. 
    We've never beaten them either it was penalties!   ;0)

Anyway, don't care who it is, I have a feeling in the bones that the boy Bowyer is a genius and will get this lot roaring against anyone.
    That means we beat them . WE WON. I was there. Pissed I admit , but there. We won.