Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton Athletic 4 - Scunthorpe United 0

Comments

• Options

The Valley remains a fortress as unbeaten home run stretches to 16 with 4-0 victory over @SUFCOfficial
  • Options
    Love the comments from Aribo / Bauer / Pearce when they say how glad they are to see Forster-Caskey back

Love that sort of unity between the players
    He seems to be very popular. Taylor did the whole shirt raising celebration thing shortly after his injury didn't he. Hopefully he'll get offered and will sign a new deal. 
  • Options
    Surprised to read of a number of fans having broken self imposed exile for today.
  • Options
    Just got back home, another enjoyable day. As I posted briefly on the match thread, the first half was well just a bit boring, yes AD took his goal well, but apart from that not much happened. Scunny had a couple of chances and on another day could well have taken them and, if so, we may have been up against it. However second half was completely different, we dominated scored 3 great goals and Taylor's first touch when the ball came out of the sky was sublime!! I hope they show it on the highlights!! Even though we were well on top Scunny missed a couple of sitters in the 2nd half as well, but to win 4-0 when playing ok'ish was a good way to go into the last 2 games of the regular season.
    My day was made before the match started when I bumped into the legend that is Keith Peacock, there was no-one else around just us two. I just said kind of awkwardly "Hello Mr Peacock", which is what I had to call him all those years ago, even though he was only about 6 years older than me at the time!! 
    He and I first met back in '67/68 when he taught tennis and Crown Woods during the close season, he taught me and a certain Richie Bowman.  We all know what Richie went on to do, as for me, well that's a different story. However Keith, as he told me to call him, stood and chatted for about 5 minutes before he had to go, he very kindly shook my hand and said I looked well, he also said he read Charlton Life and my match threads, that meant so much to me. He is a genuine geezer and this confirmed what Dick Tydeman also said and also what a gent Keith was when I worked with him in the 1980's. Thanks Keith and thanks Lee, I hope to see you all again next season as I am unable to make any more games this year.
    Good to see you on here Redmidland are you still traveling the globe?
    Yes @Indianaaddick still travelling, my health seems to be holding up as well. I'm thankful for this site when I'm away, I cant make any more games this season, not even the play-off finals when we get there, so will be following on here and (when I can get it) @KillersBeard on Valley Pass. I miss doing the match threads and hope to come back some day and do them again, although after my somewhat pathetic attempts while at the game today, I think @Ross1 and others have taken on the baton with a new 'vigour'. It was good to see 'Keith' again and I'm so pleased he had a little time to spend with me, made not just my day but my year.
  • Options
    Just got back home, another enjoyable day. As I posted briefly on the match thread, the first half was well just a bit boring, yes AD took his goal well, but apart from that not much happened. Scunny had a couple of chances and on another day could well have taken them and, if so, we may have been up against it. However second half was completely different, we dominated scored 3 great goals and Taylor's first touch when the ball came out of the sky was sublime!! I hope they show it on the highlights!! Even though we were well on top Scunny missed a couple of sitters in the 2nd half as well, but to win 4-0 when playing ok'ish was a good way to go into the last 2 games of the regular season.
    My day was made before the match started when I bumped into the legend that is Keith Peacock, there was no-one else around just us two. I just said kind of awkwardly "Hello Mr Peacock", which is what I had to call him all those years ago, even though he was only about 6 years older than me at the time!! 
    He and I first met back in '67/68 when he taught tennis and Crown Woods during the close season, he taught me and a certain Richie Bowman.  We all know what Richie went on to do, as for me, well that's a different story. However Keith, as he told me to call him, stood and chatted for about 5 minutes before he had to go, he very kindly shook my hand and said I looked well, he also said he read Charlton Life and my match threads, that meant so much to me. He is a genuine geezer and this confirmed what Dick Tydeman also said and also what a gent Keith was when I worked with him in the 1980's. Thanks Keith and thanks Lee, I hope to see you all again next season as I am unable to make any more games this year.
    Hi Redmidland.
    I remember Keith Peacock and Dennis Edwards teaching tennis/football at Crown Woods in 67/68.
  • Options
    Good to see you on here Redmidland are you still traveling the globe?
    Yes @Indianaaddick still travelling, my health seems to be holding up as well. I'm thankful for this site when I'm away, I cant make any more games this season, not even the play-off finals when we get there, so will be following on here and (when I can get it) @KillersBeard on Valley Pass. I miss doing the match threads and hope to come back some day and do them again, although after my somewhat pathetic attempts while at the game today, I think @Ross1 and others have taken on the baton with a new 'vigour'. It was good to see 'Keith' again and I'm so pleased he had a little time to spend with me, made not just my day but my year.
    Totally agree @Ross1 and his other posters are  doing a stellar job on here like  you I too rely on the match threads ,hope to skip over the pond next year and view my first home game in years hopefully against a Championship team.
  • Options
    Yep I was taught by both. Was in the same footie team as Richie (for a while), I have to say @JohnfromNorfolk, Keith looks the same as all those years ago, not an ounce of fat on him and is also very gracious! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This could have been five-all so it's a good job we have a good 'keeper and potent goalscorers.

Taylor can take a mean free kick.

Igor is back.
  • Options
    Yep I was taught by both. Was in the same footie team as Richie (for a while), I have to say @JohnfromNorfolk, Keith looks the same as all those years ago, not an ounce of fat on him and is also very gracious! 
    Were we at Crown Woods at the same time?

• Options

I was at Crown Woods from '66 - '70 (I walked out at 15, and joined the Army.)
  • Options
    Redmidland said: lol

I was at Crown Woods from '66 - '70 (I walked out at 15, and joined the Army.)
    I think I left in 68 and worked in the engineering industry.
  • Options
    The result speaks for itself.

We played some good stuff but Scunthorpe had opportunities and (I think) Novak missed a chance to make it 1-1 which might have changed things had it gone in. Just as well there was enough 'Charlton' in the slimmed down version that turned up today to miss the chance! Things may have turned out different against a better side.

Some real moments of quality from us. Young Albie Morgan played a beautiful ball through to Taylor in the first half which came to nothing but it demonstrated the class this lad has. I hope we can keep him a bit longer.

Igor's goal was well worked and Taylor's free kick top drawer too.

@Len\'s_little_girl was in attendance with me so all is good in the world.

COYR let's smash those play-offs.

• Options
    Odd sort of game,if Scunthorpe had converted any of their sitters we could have been in trouble.Thought Taylors performance,especially the free kick,and some of his control of the ball out of the air,was outstanding.I really dont know why this guy has not had a career at a higher level.
    He will do if Roly does his usual...😢
  • Options
    BUZZING!! Should have pulled my car over this morning to watch the whole thing!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Dear Lee Bowyer, 

You're doing an amazing job. Keep it up. 

Bringing on Darren Pratley does not 'shore us up' or 'keep it steady'. It makes us shit. 

Ta-ra, 

Leuth
    Why don't you also write to him and tell him Vetokele is useless and he should bring Parker into the team. 

In case you've forgotten you kept posting that on here. 
    The difference is that for a while, Vetokele plainly wasn't fit. He wasn't up with play and was getting comfortably outpaced by defenders. I'll credit the management team for realising he was getting it back, but for a while I seriously (and maybe foolishly) doubted if he could. Now, happily, he's someone we can trust.

Pratley isn't just slow, though, he's obviously technically miles away from the rest of the side, in the wrong direction. 

I *still* think Parker is being judged overly harshly. He's not even remotely the worst we've had recently, but he is no Grant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LTKapal I was able to watch a stream and post rubbish on the match thread simultaneously. Great joy indeed.

Based on the stream, it was a deserved win with good goals but very a flattering scoreline. Scunny must have had more clear cut chances than we did.

Still worry that even bottom end teams seem to to waltz through our midfield at will and we still lack any width. The only decent crosses come from Taylor who should be on the end of them.

Still  a good win though, great for confidence and momentum. Flight booked home for Wembley. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Score line flattered us but never going to complain, with others defend how we did today in playoffs and we will not be going to Wembley.

Shows what a difference not going up via playoffs can scunnie right in the mix to go down, yet finished 5th last year they do seem to have a team of has beens

scunnies next 2 are Bradford at home and Plymouth away, the manager has likely viewed the Bradford game as there chance of survival. 
  • Options
    LTKapal I was able to watch a stream and post rubbish on the match thread simultaneously. Great joy indeed.

Based on the stream, it was a deserved win with good goals but very a flattering scoreline. Scunny must have had more clear cut chances than we did.

Still worry that even bottom end teams seem to to waltz through our midfield at will and we still lack any width. The only decent crosses come from Taylor who should be on the end of them.

Still  a good win though, great for confidence and momentum. Flight booked home for Wembley. 
    Agree the win is good for building confidence......shame the same cannot be said about your general ongoing negative attitude.
  • Options
    Didn’t go so can’t add anything to the performance but it great that we managed to win after the defeat at Oxford. Last thing we needed is a 4 match winless run heading into the play offs.

Goals for Taylor & Igor, Aribo keep things ticking along nicely. Pleased Morgan got a full game as I think he will play a huge role next season. Another clean sheet for Phillips which keeps our defensive record to 10 conceded this calendar year.

• Options
    Score line flattered us but never going to complain, with others defend how we did today in playoffs and we will not be going to Wembley.

Shows what a difference not going up via playoffs can scunnie right in the mix to go down, yet finished 5th last year they do seem to have a team of has beens

scunnies next 2 are Bradford at home and Plymouth away, the manager has likely viewed the Bradford game as there chance of survival. 
    And some people still seem to think this is a poorer league than last season.

Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Charlton in last years. 

Dog awful league last year, this Charlton side would have pissed it last year. 
    We'd be fourth at the moment with our points from last season; Can beat Shrewsbury's tally if we win our last two games
  • Options
    The quality in top half of table is nowhere near this season. 
    If our side now was in last years league they'd have pissed it. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019

And some people still seem to think this is a poorer league than last season.

Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Rotherham, Charlton in last years. 

Dog awful league last year, this Charlton side would have pissed it last year. 
    Agree on League 1 was weaker last season than this season.
    We would have been in the mix for top 2 with this team/squad but 98 and 96 was a high total so 3rd on 94 points may have been our total.

Wigan and Blackburn had their Championship pedigree but once Shrewsbury ran out of steam the rest were mediocre, including Charlton.
  • Options
    Flight booked home for Wembley. 
    Weapons grade jinx.