Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Marks: Play Off Final: Charlton v Sunderland (will close Tuesday morning)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Phillips: 7. Great recovery from an horrendous moment. Shows what character he has. Also credit to all the players who kept giving him a touch of the ball in the minutes after that howler.
    Dijksteel: 8.5. Very solid defensive performance and contributed going forwards too.
    Bauer: 9. Commanding performance throughout, topped off nicely in the last minute too.
    Sarr: 6. Too casual playing the back pass directly towards the goal without even looking. I thought he had recovered well, but once he was cautioned, Bowyer made the right decision to sub him.
    Purrington: 9. One of those players you barely notice during a game usually. The goal changed that, as did me taking great pleasure in pointing out to a mate (who doesn't rate him) all the good things he was doing.
    Bielik: 8. Much better once he was in front of the back four after the break, when he could control the pace of the game.
    Cullen: 9.5. Quite simply, he was the man of the match. Constantly harried the Sunderland midfield, set up the winner and would have been awarded a ten but for mis-placing one pass.
    Aribo: 7. Showed some touches of class, but for me, often looked like he should be going up a gear. Maybe it's just his languid style.
    Pratley: 8.5. Thought he was instrumental in keeping us together when we were wobbling after the OG, and helped us take control of the game as the first half wore on. Another unsung hero
    Taylor: 7. Made some great runs down the channels, nearly scored a cracker, but ultimately needs to cut out the going to ground easily then throwing his arms up if he doesn't get the decision.
    Parker: 8.5. For me, he has been our most improved player in recent weeks, doing nearly all of the physical donkey work for Taylor, holding it up well and laying the ball off unselfishly for team-mates.
    Pearce: 7.5. Came on and performed solidly at the back, as you would expect.
    Williams: 9. One of those players who is probably better coming on as a sub. I felt it was his contribution that put us back on the front foot, as we had become a bit more cautious once McGeady came on.
    Referee: 8. I thought he was overly fussy early on, but he really relaxed into the game and handled most things well
  • Options
    For the final time this season your marks please:

Phillips:   7  
    Dijksteel: 8
    Bauer:  10
    Sarr:    7
    Purrington:  8
    Bielik: 8
    Cullen: 9
    Aribo: 8
    Pratley: 8
    Taylor:  8
    Parker:  8
    Pearce: 7.5
    Williams: 9
    Referee: 

I bow to the occasion and have now included Williams - edit

😀😀😀😀😀😢😢

• Options
    Phillips: 7
    Dijksteel: 7
    Bauer:  8
    Sarr:  6
    Purrington:  8
    Bielik:  7.5
    Cullen:  9
    Aribo:  7
    Pratley:  7
    Taylor:  7
    Parker:  7 
    Pearce:  7
    Williams: 7
    Referee:  8
  • Options
    Phillips: 5.5
    Dijksteel: 7.5
    Bauer: 7
    Sarr: 6
    Purrington: 7
    Cullen: 8
    Aribo: 7
    Pratley: 8.5
    Taylor: 7.5
    Parker: 8
    Pearce: 7
    Williams: 8
    Referee: 7
  • Options
    Phillips: 6.5
    Bauer: 9
    Purrington: 8
    Cullen: 9.5
    Pratley: 7
    Taylor: 8
    Parker: 8
    Referee: 8
  • Options

Bauer: 8.5
    Cullen: 9 MOM superb
    Aribo: 7.5
    Pratley: 8 wow - which is mom upside down. Superb
    Parker: 7.5

• Options
    Phillips: 6
    Bauer: 8
    Purrington: 7.5
    Bielik: 7.5
    Aribo: 6.5
    Pratley: 7.5
    Taylor: 7
    Parker: 6.5
    Williams: 7.5
    Referee: 6
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Phillips: 6.5 - Bad error but sound thereafter. One punch and a good diving save,
    Dijksteel: 8 - Very strong and defended on his feet (as usual). Lovely back-heel for Taylor.
    Bauer: 8 - Grew into the game after misjudging some early headers. Defended the box well and stayed calm for his goal.
    Sarr: 6 - Was a bit exposed by our formation. Purrington didn't offer a lot of cover and it meant Sarr was dragged wide. His 1st minute (fair) challenge finished Max Power's afternoon.
    Purrington: 8 - Wing-back system 1st half meant he was often in no-mans land but it DID mean he was far enough forward to grab the goal. Very sound performance and shows great temperament.
    Bielik: 8 - Defended superbly. Quite a few important clearing headers and looked classy driving forward with the ball.
    Cullen: 8 - So important. He's our modern day Keith Jones; always on the move and his touch is superb. Reads the game brilliantly but shame he hasn't got much of a left foot because I think that could hold him back from the top level.
    Aribo: 6 - Was 5 yards off the pace in the first half and didn't get his challenges in. Got better but didn't shine.
    Pratley: 8 - Tackles and movement. Cramped up early 2nd half otherwise I think he would have played for much longer. Looked a big game player.
    Taylor: 7 - One moment of class tipped the game back in our favour. Tried hard and put one lovely sliding tackle in 1st half.
    Parker: 7.5 - Hold up play was very good (suspect he's been told to stay on his feet by LB). Got his passing going too and made a big contribution in keeping us ticking.
    Pearce: 7 - Defended very well in a better formation. Read the game well.
    Williams: 8 - His running against tired legs drove Sunderland back. Was key to shifting the momentum back to us at the crucial time.
    Referee: 8 - Tried to let the players play with some physicality. Had a very good game.

• Options

Phillips:6.5 - Other than the goal was solid, marked down 1 for the error 
    Dijksteel: 7.5 - Solid a good little player, still think he will go CDM eventually but does a good job on the right
    Bauer: 7.5- worked hard, good reactions for the winner
    Sarr: 5.5- Just as much at fault as Phillips imo, didn't really get into the game much and wasn't surprised he was subbed.
    Purrington: 7.5 - Felt he was good going forward today and nice to see him get his first goal
    Bielik: 7- Not really sure why he got MOTM, personally didn't notice him too much
    Cullen: 8.5- MOTM, after Sunderland controlled 10 minutes he then bossed the game got on the ball moved it around, class above, would love to have him next season
    Aribo:  7- Didn't really get on the ball that much and wasn't his usual threat, worked hard.
    Pratley: 7.5 - Thought he was awful for the first part but got involved and stuck in
    Taylor:  7-  Didn't really stand out for me, don't think he suits playing from the wing, good cross for the 1st goal
    Parker: 7- Wont be good enough im afraid, a lot of hard work and does ok at the simple things but not good enough on the final touch/ball/ shot
    Pearce:  7.5 Solid
    Williams: 8- Class above everyone when he came on, worked hard. Ran with the ball and caused them problems, got a few free kicks. Sign him up for next season please!
    Referee: 7- Nothing noteworthy good or bad, but booked the Sunderland players too late
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    For the final time this season your marks please:

Phillips: 7
    Sarr: 5
    Bielik: 6.5
    Cullen: 8.5

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phillips:  6
    Bauer: 7.5
    Purrington: 7
    Bielik: 7.5
    Cullen: 7.5
    Williams: 7.5
  • Options
    Sarr: 6.5
    Purrington: 7.5
    Parker: 6
  • Options
    Phillips: 7 - to come back from that mistake 
    Dijksteel: 8 - never seen his positioning so hood
    Bauer: 10 - solid and got us the goal
    Sarr: 6 - worst game in a while 
    Purrington: 9 - best game for us-what a time to do it
    Bielik: 9
    Cullen: 10 MOM apart from hos corners he was a real driving force 
    Aribo: 8 did well in passages of play but went missing
    Pratley: 9 brilliant game from him
    Taylor: 7 was missing but marked out of game
    Parker: 7 did well holding up play
    Pearce: 9 solid as needed
    Williams: 9 driving runs
    Referee: 7 better than the shit in league 1
  • Options
    Phillips: 6 - recovered well from the early calamity and made one good save. Otherwise, a relatively quiet afternoon against unimaginative opponents
    Dijksteel: 7.5 - fully justified his starting berth and looked commanding throughout. A lovely touch for the first goal. We need to get this lad's contract extended, as I think he is going to attract attention very soon
    Bauer: 7 - solid as ever and what a moment to open his account for the season
    Sarr: 5 - struggled a little in a back three and was exposed for pace a couple of times, notably, when he came perilously close to conceding a penalty. Walking a tightrope after that booking, so a very sensible substitution
    Purrington: 7 - another tremendously consistent player - and what a moment to score his very first goal !
    Bielik: 7 - a powerful Rolls-Royce of a player. We had much better control of the game when he pushed forward into midfield in the second half
    Cullen: 8 - the definitive midfield general. Some poor corners and set plays in the first half but his final cross more than made up for it. I think that Josh will deservedly make West Ham's 25 man squad for the Premier League, especially now he's in the Irish squad and his profile is higher after the season he's had with us. If, for whatever reason he doesn't make the cut, I think he'll come back to us on loan
    Aribo: 6.5 - a quieter game from Joe but his skill and invention played a part in both goals. Sunderland had no one of that ilk and their midfield, which was categorised by lateral passing and a lack of pace
    Pratley: 8 - did an excellent job in breaking things up and putting himself about against robust opponents
    Taylor: 7 - was generally well marshalled, although he gave them a lot of trouble down the right in the first half and produced a trademark cross for Ben's goal. If only we could clone him
    Parker: 6.5 - never looks like scoring but did a good job for the team in stretching their back four and bringing others into play
    Pearce: 7 - a commanding and reassuring presence in the second half
    Williams: 8.5 - an excellent cameo, as everyone else started to look a bit leggy. The amount of clogging Jonny received from his erstwhile employers reminded me of our league game against Palace at the Valley in 1996, when they picked up 5 bookings - all for fouls on some kid called Lee Bowyer
    Referee: 8 - I thought he was good. Perhaps a little too lenient early on but I can understand him wanting to avoid early bookings for fear of a later sending off and giving the players a bit of licence owing to the enormity of the occasion. Played one very good advantage - unlike the muppet yesterday, who brought Villa back for a foul on Tammy Abraham when a teammate was racing towards goal
  • Options
    Phillips: 5
    Bauer: 8.5
    Sarr: 5
    Bielik: 9
    Cullen: 8.5
    Aribo: 8
    Parker: 7