Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    It’s perfect chemistry and I think he realises that he’s in the best place he could possibly be. If he goes somewhere else and it doesn’t work out he might start getting grief from fans, his past might get dragged up. He doesn’t deserve that and at Charlton it won’t happen. 
    Provided he is signed up I feel he could be with us for a while. Another Curbs maybe. I like to think so. 

When he was flashed up on the big screen yesterday whilst the cup was being banded about he seemed to be just aside from the celebrations for a personal moment of reflection. I think he knows that he’s into something good right now and he will want to carry on. 
  • Options
    Bowyer understands the game at all levels. He understands all the players and not just the compliant ones because he was no angel himself. He is a "street fighter" and every team has to have one of those either on the pitch or on the touch line - but preferably both. 

Bowyer did it on the pitch and has proven that he can do it off it too. But he also understands our Club and its fans. And that gives him a hell of an advantage over anyone else coming in.

Roland would do well to take note and sort his contract out before it's too late.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

There's much more to come from Bowyer.

We didn't get to build on the momentum created by Powell. I'm desperate for us to avoid missing out on the chance for a second time.

So much is already in place for the right owner to come in and build on.
    This.

Well put, Scoham.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    iaitch said:
    He seems very much in the Curbs mould that when we win he's happy but never gets too euphoric and when we lose he never seems to plunge the depths of depression.

Level headed and realistic.
    One thing he mentioned in one of his post match interviews that was very Curbsesque was asking the fourth official, in the aftermath of the winning goal, for the time remaining so he knew if he needed to change shape or make a sub to see the game out.

Reminded me of a photo of Curbs when Danny Mills’ goal went in for the 4-3 at Villa Park in 99. All the staff are going bonkers but Curbs is just stood there tapping his temple and yelling at players to concentrate and think about their jobs in seeing the game out.
    Quite a lot of managers are clueless and get caught up in the moment when they are leading and they put on a sub when they are already in the last minute ! Then in most cases at least another 30 seconds will be added and recently a full minute because of the slowness of the player leaving the field.
    Thankfully Bows didn't fall into this trap as he realized the ref would just play another 20 or so seconds and not add on another 90 where Sunderland may have created one last half chance.
    The pointless use of subs in the last couple of minutes and needless back passes have always been my bugbear !
  • Options
    When under pressure late on, a manager will often use a sub to kill opponent's momentum and wind the clock down.

Same reason why defenders lump clearances into Row Z.

• Options
    How many days until we start to panic over Bowyer's contract status?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He seems very much in the Curbs mould that when we win he's happy but never gets too euphoric and when we lose he never seems to plunge the depths of depression.

One thing he mentioned in one of his post match interviews that was very Curbsesque was asking the fourth official, in the aftermath of the winning goal, for the time remaining so he knew if he needed to change shape or make a sub to see the game out.

Reminded me of a photo of Curbs when Danny Mills’ goal went in for the 4-3 at Villa Park in 99. All the staff are going bonkers but Curbs is just stood there tapping his temple and yelling at players to concentrate and think about their jobs in seeing the game out.
    Quite a lot of managers are clueless and get caught up in the moment when they are leading and they put on a sub when they are already in the last minute ! Then in most cases at least another 30 seconds will be added and recently a full minute because of the slowness of the player leaving the field.
    Thankfully Bows didn't fall into this trap as he realized the ref would just play another 20 or so seconds and not add on another 90 where Sunderland may have created one last half chance.
    The pointless use of subs in the last couple of minutes and needless pass backs have always been my bugbear !
    I was thinking more that a lot of managers might have gone tearing off down the touch line or been leaping around like a lunatic. And I think you’d forgive them
    for being overwhelmed by the moment. Bowyer did start to go but then caught himself, stayed in his technical area and immediately thought about what the goal meant for our approach to the rest of the game. That’s coolness under pressure and leadership, right there. 
  • Options
    Last person on earth I thought would be suited to be a manager but thankfully I was wrong. RD had treated him shamefully - be gutted if he doesn't stay.
  • Options
    Fantastic Post
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Great to read the praise that is heaped on Bow in this thread, he simply gets the DNA of Charlton, he has bonded a team in spite of the ludicrous ownership, he’s used this absurd situation as motivation not only with his squad but also with us fans.

Never once publicly slating Douchebag or Robinson but maintaining a classy professionalism stance that is extremely credit worthy, considering what we all know of his playing career absolutely astonishing. (99 yellow 4 Reds) still a record I believe.

The few years fishing must have mellowed him loads.

Great manager who has achieved even more than Chris Powell with less money, whilst playing stylish attractive football, CAFC has been a pleasure to watch under Bow this past 18 month, he changed us from his first game in charge and constantly improved from there in, a truly massive achievement to get us promoted from where Robinson left us.

FECK OFF DOUCHEBAG 

COYRs 
    I did enjoy his comment that he learnt from Robinson you need more than one formation though :)
    As proven on Sunday!!...

Started 3-5-2 in the first half, moment Pearce came on we switched straight to the diamond!!... When Williams came on I was fully expecting Parker to be the one replaced meaning we'd have then gone 4-5-1; great manager as means the opposition will never know exactly how we'll setup until the game starts with the range of player that we have

As Bowyer said after the game, we had such a good run in because we got all our players back - Reckon we would have won the League had we not had the injury problems we did have in the first half of the season!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing that photo made me immediately think of our win at the Toolbox on 5 December 1995, when Bowyer got sent off halfway through the first half.
    Curbs wasn't too pleased with Bows at the time. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

The pointless use of subs in the last couple of minutes and needless pass backs have always been my bugbear !
    I was thinking more that a lot of managers might have gone tearing off down the touch line or been leaping around like a lunatic. And I think you’d forgive them
    for being overwhelmed by the moment. Bowyer did start to go but then caught himself, stayed in his technical area and immediately thought about what the goal meant for our approach to the rest of the game. That’s coolness under pressure and leadership, right there. 
    To be fair the Charlton players celebrated for so long, and then took even longer to get back to their own half that Bowyer had plenty of time to celebrate like a lunatic, then recompose himself  :D
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    How many days until we start to panic over Bowyer's contract status?
    I've been panicking the last 6mths more so since we defo made it into the playoffs...😬
  • Options
    Bowyer.
    Sometimes when an unexpected phenomena happens it is best not to analyse too much or question it.
    With some people in all walks of life they don't always know how they do what they do, breaking it down to examine it runs the risk of not being able to put it back together.
    It might not be possible to compare players at all levels of football, but the comparison of managers at all levels is pretty much justified. What can they do with what they've got, how do they play the hand dealt?
    My attitude to Bowyer right now is don't especially question it, go with it. He is without doubt one of the very best Charlton managers in my supporting life. Certainly ranks alongside the wonderful Lennie if not edges him, and pushing Powell very hard right now. How he compares with Curbs remains to be seen.
    If you need to have an idea about where Bowyer ranks alongside others, then contemplate Bowyer v Dowie as an example, where Dowie scores something like an 18 out of a 100.
  • Options
    It's been said before but the job Bowyer has done this season is unreal.

We started the season with barely a squad, 5 players on the bench, a number of them unproven youngsters.

He has improved the squad leaps and bounds whilst spending £0, and almost every player who has signed for us has explicitly stated that Bowyer was one of the key motivations for coming here. Also, every player has improved whilst under him, and the belief he has instilled in the squad has been key to our progress.

On top of that he filled the valley, united the fanbase behind him and his team, got us playing great football again, into the Playoffs which absolutely no-one tipped us for at the start of the season (including a lot of us on here), and beating Sunderland in the final who everyone said would walk the league.  

All in his first full year of Management with all sorts going on behind the scenes and the takeover related drama. 

That he wasn't Manager of the Season I'll never understand. If we can keep him, the future is bright.
  • Options
    I heard he was hoping to have signed a new contract by yesterday as he was due to go on holiday today