Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I heard he was hoping to have signed a new contract by yesterday as he was due to go on holiday today
    We desperately need him to sign we until that happens, little else is going to progress on the transfer front. But then it's also Jacko, Gallen and Marshall...
  • Options
    I am living in fear,I have thought for a long time that RD does not care about money,but resents the grief he gets from the fans.He has no love for cafc so would not have  enjoyed sunday like we all did.I have always thought that at some stage he would see an opportunity to exact his revenge upon us,by messing Bowyer and his team about over contracts,he has that opportunity,I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    I am living in fear,I have thought for a long time that RD does not care about money,but resents the grief he gets from the fans.He has no love for cafc so would not have  enjoyed sunday like we all did.I have always thought that at some stage he would see an opportunity to exact his revenge upon us,by messing Bowyer and his team about over contracts,he has that opportunity,I hope I am wrong.
    The guy cares about one thing. Money.

Blowing up the infrastructure of the club only makes us a lower priced asset. Even RD himself knows that
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I don't think it is about revenge, but Bowyer wants a decent offer and I think Duchatelet resents people trying to get more money from him. He will think the offer he made was fair. He doesn't understand what can be. He doesn't understand football. He is off his trolley. That is just as much reason to fear the worst. I mean Bowyer and his team should have been signed up yesterday at the latest! He will be out of contract in a couple of days FFS!
  • Options
    In this case I think you are confusing incompetence/lethargy with strategy!
  • Options
    It all started with incompetence in as as much that he tried to run the club his way and it spectacularly backfired.He is a man who would hate to be proved wrong,and now that has happened,I fear a revenge factor.(Any normal person would look at what has happened this season and realise what a success this club could be and try to contribute to that,sadly we are not talking normal person)
  • Options
    One other thing about Bowyer: courage.

In the semi final, Morgan, who had never played in front of a crowd like that, looked like a rabbit in the headlights. He could of given him 15 minutes at half time, to see if he settled down. This may have been the safe choice. Bowyer hooked him, put on the old stager Darren Pratley.

Play off final. The 3-5-2 just didn't look like it was working. Nabby, who is very much a confidence player, had scored an own goal, and been booked. Bowyer had the courage to make the decision there and then, despite the scores were level, to hook Nabby, put on the warrior Pearce, and change formation. 

Not many managers in their first full season would have been that decisive.

COURAGE!
    It was also brave starting Morgan in the first place in such big games. Compare to Slade, who stuck with Foley, Jackson and Crofts even when it was failing, rather than give Aribo a chance.
  • Options
    I don't know where to put this link: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/charlton-athletic-takeover-latest-update-football-league-preview-league-one-a8475686.html

This is the article that most of us read before the season started. I translated it into Chinese and posted it on my CAFC social media account page back then. Yesterday I saw it again as I was looking at what I'd translated in the past. I read the article through and was thinking what an amazing turnaround we've had. We're still in the same position in terms of the finances and ownership situation but on the pitch we've become a really good team which we, the fans are all so proud of.

I've watched a few games this season and I think the football we play is the best I've seen of us in recent years. I remember when we were in the Championship I watched a game and my parents who were used to watching Premier League football said how dreadful we were and all I could say to them was 'this is what lower league football looks like'. But this season from what I've seen we're playing very entertaining beautiful passing football, something I've not seen us do much before. Considering the financial problems and all the off-pitch obstacles we've had to face, Bowyer, Jacko and Gallen have done a job that nobody else could've done.

I noticed on Chinese sites that many football fans' comments under the news that Bowyer has lead us to promotion were like 'Bowyer? The fighting his own teammate Bowyer?'. It seems he's still remembered for that incident and his negative past. To be honest when he took over at first I didn't know what to expect but now over a year has passed I can say he's among my top three favourite Charlton managers and I totally adore him.

seth plum said:
    If you need to have an idea about where Bowyer ranks alongside others, then contemplate Bowyer v Dowie as an example, where Dowie scores something like an 18 out of a 100.
    I'd give Dowie a negative score, something like -18!!!! :joy:
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    25May98 said:
    It’s perfect chemistry and I think he realises that he’s in the best place he could possibly be. If he goes somewhere else and it doesn’t work out he might start getting grief from fans, his past might get dragged up. He doesn’t deserve that and at Charlton it won’t happen. 
    Provided he is signed up I feel he could be with us for a while. Another Curbs maybe. I like to think so. 

When he was flashed up on the big screen yesterday whilst the cup was being banded about he seemed to be just aside from the celebrations for a personal moment of reflection. I think he knows that he’s into something good right now and he will want to carry on. 
    It did happen. When Bowyer was appointed manager a poster on here issued a statement on behalf of CARD demanding to know why he had never issued an apology over that incident.
    Needless to say, it was meet with the indifference it deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    As the months have past Bowyers stock has risen by the week , he would rightly think his terms should be even more generous than previously offered. He is in a strong bargaining position and it shows what a bad business man Roland is. He has been doing a great job for some time and should have been rewarded some time ago. Now we may lose him and everything he has built with it. We are already behind other teams in preparing for next season , no players are going to sign new deals until Bowyer signs up.
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    25May98 said:
    It’s perfect chemistry and I think he realises that he’s in the best place he could possibly be. If he goes somewhere else and it doesn’t work out he might start getting grief from fans, his past might get dragged up. He doesn’t deserve that and at Charlton it won’t happen. 
    Provided he is signed up I feel he could be with us for a while. Another Curbs maybe. I like to think so. 

When he was flashed up on the big screen yesterday whilst the cup was being banded about he seemed to be just aside from the celebrations for a personal moment of reflection. I think he knows that he’s into something good right now and he will want to carry on. 
    It did happen. When Bowyer was appointed manager a poster on here issued a statement on behalf of CARD demanding to know why he had never issued an apology over that incident.
    I dont think that it was issued on behalf of CARD, Redskin. Think you're mistaken there. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Redskin said:
    25May98 said:

I dont think that it was issued on behalf of CARD, Redskin. Think you're mistaken there. 
    It wasn’t CARD. I remember the comment but it was the only thing I heard apart from a few ‘not sure he’s the right fit’ etc...... comments. He had a great start and has not looked back. On top of the success I think he has a professional attitude which is to be applauded. In many respects Charlton have given him a second chance and he has grabbed it with both hands. I think he knows all to well that he might not get the same respect elsewhere. He is one of us. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Redskin said:
    25May98 said:

I seem to remember it was, but can't  be absolutely sure, so you're probably right.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Redskin said:
    Curb_It said:
    Redskin said:
    25May98 said:

I seem to remember it was, but can't  be absolutely sure, so you're probably right.
    It was CAST not CARD, as its quite a serious accusation, rather than 'seeming to remember' and those above being 'probably right' if you 'cant be absolutely sure' can we nip it in the bud and confirm that there was no such CARD statement?     
    Alright, it was CAST, not CARD.
  • Options
    Talking of dragging things up from the past did LB claim not to be able to remove his trousers in court as he wasn't wearing any underpants?

This was, IIRC, the night club trial when LB was not found not guilty.
  • Options
    Why did they ask him to remove his strides?
  • Options
    So he lied in court? I have seen him ware socks, he had them on every time he played for us!!   Totally not a fit and proper person to manage our football club.

(do I really have to add a winky face?) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me his over taken Chrissy Powell in terms of management success, its a miracle what he has done this season with such adversity (started the season couldn't even fill a bench, spent £0, lost Grant in Jan and replaced with a huge downgrade in Parker, wasn't allowed to bring another striker in), and yet we still went up!!
  • Options
    I have a horrible feeling he will walk. 
  • Options
    Very doubtful
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    stonemuse said:
    Very doubtful

But it looks like we are going to be stuck with the old belgian cnut for the foreseeable future meaning that Bowyer will have to yet again perform miracles on a shoestring budget.

Big difference this time is that we are competing in the big boys league.

I wouldn’t blame him if he walks tbh.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Very doubtful

But it looks like we are going to be stuck with the old belgian cnut for the foreseeable future meaning that Bowyer will have to yet again perform miracles on a shoestring budget.

I also wouldn’t blame him ... just don’t believe he will leave us 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    Very doubtful

I also wouldn’t blame him ... just don’t believe he will leave us 

I hope you’re right!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Very doubtful

I knew all the negative pessimistic comments would start up before the week is out. Bowyer will stay lighten up ffs. 
  • Options
    The sky is the limit if Lee stays, and I really hope he does, then I can lump on us getting promoted!  

( smiley thingy).