Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Options
    Minor gripe, don’t really understand why Sky had to have so many Southern Hemisphere leading the key commentary bits, Post Match interviews etc. Not like there’s a lack of articulate former England’s cricketers...
    Part of the reason for that (but only part) is that, I believe all the broadcast contracts were organised by the ICC as opposed to Sky, to broadcast one set of commentators to every English speaking territory. 

So the choice of commentators were out of the hands of Sky.
  • Options
    I would of thought Allah was with Pakistan? He jumped ship lively.
  • Options
    I would of thought Allah was with Pakistan? He jumped ship lively.
    Anyone can get into the England cricket team.
  • Options
    During the celebrations and lap of honour I’m surprised Queens “We are the Champions” wasn’t played 

Yes we were lucky that never happened
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I’m pretty sure at some stage during the interviews while the trophy was being handed out , Nasser said England were World come Champions ! 
    How far did they have to go for that?
  • Options
    Minor gripe, don’t really understand why Sky had to have so many Southern Hemisphere leading the key commentary bits, Post Match interviews etc. Not like there’s a lack of articulate former England’s cricketers...
    I didnt think it was anything out of the ordinary for an ICC tournament commentary team tbh. 2 each for England and NZ (Hussain & Athers / Smith & McCullum), 1 convict (Clarke), 1/2 Indians, 1 West Indian (Holding).

Ashes will be a completely different kettle of fish.  

Special mention for my dear old mate Mushy yesterday.  Still like a bear with a sore head after the Kiwis beat them in the semi, he watched the final with his Kiwi wife yesterday. I bet their house was a happy place last night.
  • Options
    Some real half hearted congratulations messages towards England from ex Indian & Aussie players. Absolutely love it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    huge hangover this morning. Messaged work to say I will be in late.
  • Options
    You have to love the Kiwis.

Great advice to the next generation from Jimmy Neesham who nearly became the most famous Kiwi since Edmund Hillary.

"Kids, don’t take up sport. Take up baking or something. Die at 60 really fat and happy."
    Kiwis showed great dignity in defeat - neither side deserved to lose.
  • Options

Great advice to the next generation from Jimmy Neesham who nearly became the most famous Kiwi since Edmund Hillary.

"Kids, don’t take up sport. Take up baking or something. Die at 60 really fat and happy."
    Agreed. They are so much more palatable than your average Aussie.
  • Options

Kiwis seem much more down to earth than Aussies and don't seem to need to keep telling you how great they are. It's a bit like the difference between Canada and the US.

• Options

Kiwis seem much more down to earth than Aussies and don't seem to need to keep telling you how great they are. It's a bit like the difference between Canada and the US.

My best mate was an Aussie but by the time he tragically passed from cancer he had been in this country for 25 odd years and we had tamed him (as well as turning him into an Addick... sorry Andy mate!).  In fact he would often laugh at his newly arrived compatriots antics, whilst being solidly Aussie into the bargain, loved him for that. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Haven't seen anyone else mention this But instead of how many boundaries hit in final, why wasn't the fact we beat New Zealand in group stage used after super over tie ?

Ps. I accept that no one thought there could ever be two ties in a final, but would seem a better solution as a clear cut victory was achieved.

• Options
    what an absolute game. We absolutely rode our luck and multiple times i said "we've fucked it" and was ready to switch off and go do something else, but multiple times we some how dragged it back to being vaguely winnable. Then that run out...

But the real winner was cricket and cricket on terrestrial tv. Its difficult in the first place for working class kids to get involved in cricket, the large green space needed, the pitches, the cost of the equipment which can run up to a few hundred quid, but if they're not going to see games on tv, they're never going to make the effort to get involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kane Williamson saying "what, me?!" when told he was player of the tournament shows what great guys the kiwis are. Yesterday morning and the days preceding i was pleased about who we were playing, because even if we lost a good load of blokes and the underdog had won instead.
  • Options
    Well done New Zealand you played extremely well it can be argued you deserved to win as you lost less wicket. But bloody hell what a game of cricket
    I don’t get that either. Match tied surely team who lost less wickets wins?
    You would think so but rules are rules, though seems a bit unfair on NZ.
  • Options
    Victory parade?

Stokes visit to number 10 will be gold!!
  • Options
    I think may have shortened my life by about 10 years yesterday, feel like I've been hit by a bus. Now lets bring the urn home boys!
  • Options
    Victory parade?

Stokes visit to number 10 will be gold!!
    No,No,

The guy on the door at number 10 is in his 60's !

They can focus on trying to win ashes and win team of the year at BBC.
    Kane Williamson should be voted overseas sportsman of the year by a landslide.
  • Options
    It was good to hear Morgan mention those players who have been part of the squad over the course of the last year but didn't make the final squad particularly David Willey. That said, would it have been better to be Willey or say Curran or Dawson who were drinks carriers throughout or even Ali who lost his place in the team? 
    I thought that was a good touch too. Willey had been a first choice player right until just before the tournament, so missing out completely must massively hurt. Curran and Dawson might not have played, but will have experienced all the drama and joy in the dressing room which is priceless
  • Options
    The final hour on TMS for those who want to relive it on the journey home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07gxndd
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The final hour on TMS for those who want to relive it on the journey home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07gxndd
    Listening to this at the moment. The TMS commentary is so much better than the TV commentary. So much more crowd atmosphere as well