Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Building on the point @seth plum made above, did those who were there today notice anything about the “mood”, body language etc.  Couldn’t tell from the stream other than it’s obvious Lyle is out of sorts. Do we seem generally positive and together or are there signs of disharmony (which would be understandable under all of the circs)?  I’m not looking for any, just asking the question. 
    Isolated incidents, Aneke berating a team-mate for a pass, Purrington berating Doughty for not supporting him (justified). Taylor fine until near the end, when he stopped working and got subbed.
  • Options
    5-3-2 or 3-5-2 however you dress it up hasn’t worked defensively all pre-season. Defenders and Midfielders don’t know what to do out of possession, which is a shame as we looked good in possession.

At the end of the game the Charlton and Aston Villa physio were talking about Chuks and when asked ‘is it a bad one?’ replied: ‘touch and go’.
  • Options
    You can tell Sarr played well because nobody's singling him out for criticism.

Oshilaja looked okay and I'd like to see him alongside Sarr, maybe with Lockyer as DM. 

Sarr and Pearce might well be our best starting CB pair but I'd like to see Lockyer again before I'm sure of this. 

We have bigger problems in midfield. Let's hope they're solved soon.
  • Options
    Wasn't there to see for myself but to state a few obvious points; Lockyer has just stepped into our team from a solid league 1 side. And today was up against Villa. I think we could expect him to go through some kind of adjustment in that process.
  • Options
    Thought we played some decent stuff,but the big difference was how quickly villa closed us down and broke away,but all in all not to bad.Thought Harriott had a decent cameo and might be worth a punt.
    First moan,4500 home fans to show respect to a Charlton man through and through,piss poor.
    Second Moan,why where there so many police in Floyd Road after the game,I thought there had been a terrorist alert,6 police horses dividing fans,who were basically talking to each other and wishing each other all the best Wonder what they have been doing all summer
    certainly not catching criminals.
    Still,glad to see they are making use of their limited resources.
  • Options
    Wasn't there to see for myself but to state a few obvious points; Lockyer has just stepped into our team from a solid league 1 side. And today was up against Villa. I think we could expect him to go through some kind of adjustment in that process.
    We're asking a number of players to step up and to get used to a new formation - it will take time.

Villa were a difficult test and exposed the limitations of our defence/midfield.
  • Options
    There you go then, straight from the horses mouth. We ain't ready.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Must not forget Villa have spent over £100m on 11 players, just a little more than us
    Villas side was basically the one they had last season in the champ. We’re in trouble!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    The board said it was Amos
    I could have been wrong, the mistakes were amateur.
  • Options
    Putting it in perspective, Villa have spent over 100m and we've spent nowt.

Nearly had a repeat of the Baby own goal, Phillips found it quite funny.

Phillips was better than Amos, 
    Thought Solly & Purrington didn't do bad, Naby was OK but needs to sharpen up, he nearly got caught a couple of times.
    Our midfield was not good enough (which has a knock on to defence) and I worry nor will they be in the Championship, Williams aside. Partly did OK.
    Aneke looks a handful, did reasonably well on scraps.
    Oshilaja reminded me of a Keith Jones even though he's a defender
    Lockyer was OK, his distribution is better than Pearces but not sure he's as good a defender but it's early days.

As Bowyer says, we're 5/6 players short, predominantly midfield.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    People slagging off Aneke before the game, he was our best player for me.

Very impressed by him - only concern is he needs to be quicker to shoot. A real unit.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I thought Aneke & Williams looked good, I also thought we coped with Villa for the most part. However, I agree with Bowyer, our midfield is not up to scratch.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    What I’d give for a Jack Grealish and a John McGinn ... that’s the quality we’ll be up against in many games next season. Not much to shout home about today but it was only a pre-season friendly. Thought Jonny and Chuks looked good and we need to keep them injury free. Desperately need some quality this week otherwise it could be a long, long season 
    There aren't many players in the championship as good as Jack Grealish, he's not the standard 
    Villa are lucky that Grealish supports them otherwise i think he'd have gone last summer. Quality player, and certainly much better than a championship standard player.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JFC was whingeing at everyone but was pretty shit tbh.
    He looked reasonably fit but pretty ineffectual for large parts of the game. A poor man's Darren Ambrose.
  • Options
    I wasn't there today as I'm in Spain but being outplayed by villa is no disgrace. 
    I fully expect 3 or 4 loan signings to come in and that is when I will judge the team.
    If our loan players are anywhere near as good as last season we will be ok. 
    In Bowyer we trust. 
    Roland fuck off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My problem with him today was his positioning and the number of times he was caught the wrong side of the opposition, which in a friendly against a premier League side isn't the end of the world, but it's also basics in defending and a worrying sight to see. Fingers crossed he just needs to build an understanding with his peers
  • Options
    Just listened to Bowyer - we should be happy. He calls it as it is and knows what needs to be done, When you have money it is easier to make things happen - with loans you need things to align for you. Thankfully we have the right man in charge - I wouldn't want anybody else. I'll start feeling more comfortable when deal one and two of the five or six gets done!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JFC was whingeing at everyone but was pretty shit tbh.
    He looked reasonably fit but pretty ineffectual for large parts of the game. A poor man's Darren Ambrose.
    I thought he looked really unfit which is understandable considering everything he has been through.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Must not forget Villa have spent over £100m on 11 players, just a little more than us
    Villas side was basically the one they had last season in the champ. We’re in trouble!
    We're not looking to compete for the Play-Off though - On our budget we should be ignoring them and looking at a fight with the other teams in the bottom half of the table
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Building on the point @seth plum made above, did those who were there today notice anything about the “mood”, body language etc.  Couldn’t tell from the stream other than it’s obvious Lyle is out of sorts. Do we seem generally positive and together or are there signs of disharmony (which would be understandable under all of the circs)?  I’m not looking for any, just asking the question. 
    I felt we lost our heads a bit after conceding the second and third goaI which is slightly worrying as we will undoubtedly be on the end of a few hidings this season.
  • Options
    Glad to learn Lockyer is the new scapegoat for the upcoming season.

I thought CL members would at least have the decency to wait to HT in our first League match at Blackburn. 
    Normal service is resumed after the last 7 games of last season.

What are people supposed to say - I'm not really clear? Is it okay to say Lockyer wasn't great today or should we just lie? He's hardly a scapegoat.

Has Lockyer been poor against League 2 and National League opposition ?
    The point is, no surprise when a player who has been a League 1 player struggles against a premier side. Nothing that happened today can surprise anyone, especially the injury to Aneke, as he seemed to has the best preseason. (Injury jinks is the only constant)
  • Options
    cabbles said:

patience in that Bristol City, a team who are outside favourites for promotion this season got thumped 5-0 today. 

By one of our poxy local rivals who are light years above where we are ffs 
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that the amount of players needed by Bowyer as he has stated in his interviews over the past couple of weeks has moved from needing 7 to 8, down to possibly 4.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    One word for me, patience.

patience as we have 12 days until the window shuts and Bowyer says we will, in fact we must get 5 or 6 in.  I trust him to do that 

patience in that our team that was playing so well at the end of last season got decimated and we lost some key players.  That was the 26th May, it’s now the 27th July.  That’s just 2 months ago

patience in that our season will be played out over 46 games.  We may have a slow start.  We did last season.  We may have a very bad start.  Fact is, we’ll have a season to have a crack at it, nothing will be decided if we’re sitting bottom after 6 games in August.

patience in that getting worked up over a 4-1 defeat to a team that have just shelled out £100m isn’t going to be representative of all the teams we face this season

patience in that Bristol City, a team who are outside favourites for promotion this season got thumped 5-0 today. 

Bowyer did a great interview with radio London after the game.  He knows, we know and even Chris Solly said, we’ve got to stick with them this season, it’s going to be tough.  

I have every faith we’ll be a championship team next season and the pre-season to date has done nothing to change my opinion 
    You need patience doing the coaches  cabbles