Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    I stopped going to pre season and testimonial games well before Duchatelet.

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Thought Lockyer was poor. Very lightweight for a CB. 
    Liked the look of Chuks and Oshilaja
    Amos looks in dire need of confidence 

as others have said, Villa are streets ahead of most teams we’ll meet this season and tbf there wasn’t much between the two sides first half 
    Judge a player after 10 games. It's far too early to criticise players so early, still in pre-season. It always amazes me that we have to have a scapegoat to blame. I actually thought Lockyer had a decent game against good opposition and I for one will be giving him my full support.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    The player we miss most is Aribo. Even if we got Bielik and Cullen back it would not make up for his loss, they are both more defensive midfielders than attacking and usually did not work that well in the same 11.
    I really struggle to imagine who we could loan in this week who would make a difference to that rubbish midfield today. Are there really 2-3 loanable players out there of Championship quality who we could afford to bring in? Bowyer says agents are laughing at him.
    Nail on the head.  He had the guile to unlock play and draw players in.  
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
    Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

That's a fair point to be honest but how do you know there weren't any boycotter's there?  Even so I get your disappointment with the turnout but I would have thought the first bunch to to criticise would be the ST holders that obviously didn't go.  Aren't there more than 4,500 ST holders, that are happy to give there money to RD.
  • Options
    It was again disappointing that our appalling communications on match days was out there for all to not hear.
    There is some vague sound coming through but no effort to mitigate its failings, especially with the inarticulate gabbling of the announcer for whom diction is probably a book in a library. At half time some sort of something went on involving children and visually there was a person with patronising body language crouching over little kids, and aurally there was some kind of spoken stuff which the announcer did nothing to improve to compensate for the technology. When substitutions were made it was impossible to figure it out who or what from any announcements.
    If there were a  emergency requiring  clear announcements we will be unsafe and at risk. Even bad technology can be adapted to if there is a will to do so.
    I will be dug out for criticising, the technology will once again be blamed, yet there will be no effort to resolve the problem.
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
    Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

That's a fair point to be honest but how do you know there weren't any boycotter's there?  Even so I get your disappointment with the turnout but I would have thought the first bunch to to criticise would be the ST holders that obviously didn't go.  Aren't there more than 4,500 ST holders, that are happy to give there money to RD.
    I think you'll find the season ticket holders who are happy to give their money to RD you could count on one hand. The rest of us give as little as possible to RD, still support the team and protest in other ways.
  • Options
    Watched on the Villa you tube when it worked - simply they are Premiership and we are not.
  • Options
    Few people on there holidays as well 
  • Options
    Looking at a photo of my brother and his grandson stood next to the Sam Bartram statue yesterday upset me a little. 
    Not because I should have been there too but because the sign above Bartrams is only half there. It just says ‘Bartra’. 
    Stark reminder that we are going nowhere with this owner. 
    Just sell the club and feck off. 
    Sorry @blackpool72
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It was again disappointing that our appalling communications on match days was out there for all to not hear.
    There is some vague sound coming through but no effort to mitigate its failings, especially with the inarticulate gabbling of the announcer for whom diction is probably a book in a library. At half time some sort of something went on involving children and visually there was a person with patronising body language crouching over little kids, and aurally there was some kind of spoken stuff which the announcer did nothing to improve to compensate for the technology. When substitutions were made it was impossible to figure it out who or what from any announcements.
    If there were a  emergency requiring  clear announcements we will be unsafe and at risk. Even bad technology can be adapted to if there is a will to do so.
    I will be dug out for criticising, the technology will once again be blamed, yet there will be no effort to resolve the problem.
    He's not the man for the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    There was a valiant effort a couple of years back that effected a sea change from ear-splitting shrillness to comfortable inaudibility.
    I'll give them that.
  • Options
    Surely the Valley should not have a licence to be used for any event if it would be unsafe in the event of an emergency where clear announcements are demanded?
    Closing the venue down until satisfactory improvements are made would focus the mind of the owner, the person where the buck stops.
  • Options
    I don’t agree with the comments about the crowd size yesterday being poor, I thought it was a pretty good turnout obviously boosted by the villa fans but still more than we normally get for a pre season game and given that there were no trains out of London Bridge etc and the forecast was for rain all day I was surprised how many that did turn up.
  • Options
    What a load of crap,you want the stadium shut because you could not hear the announcements,I am aurally challenged but  heard ok,what else are you going to blame on RD,lack of toilet paper,water in toilets not hot enough,also the guy doing the announcing has been at it for years,to take out ones frustration with the owner on an announcer who probably dosent even get paid much is pretty pathetic.
  • Options
    The first open day we had when Katrien Meire was in charge was a shambles with folk sitting in the Covered end and no announcements to what was going to happen next. 
    5 years later and still local fetes are better organized judging by the comments yesterday.

I can't remember the crowds ever being big for a testimonial ?

How did yesterday crowd compare to Steve Brown's when We played an Italian team if my memory serves me right ?
  • Options

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

Just the way it is.....mate.
    A lot of people couldn't be arsed to go to show their respect to Chris and RD seems to be a handy excuse. If these fans were so disillusioned by your logic they wouldn't have gone to Wembley.

Can't really compare a play off final at Wembley with a pre season testimonial. 
    I keep being told fans aren't going because they don't like RD - loads of them suddenly reappear at the playoff games.

When they get a chance to support our longest serving player at his testimonial they suddenly trot out the RD excuse again - seems a very convenient excuse.

• Options
    What a load of crap,you want the stadium shut because you could not hear the announcements,I am aurally challenged but  heard ok,what else are you going to blame on RD,lack of toilet paper,water in toilets not hot enough,also the guy doing the announcing has been at it for years,to take out ones frustration with the owner on an announcer who probably dosent even get paid much is pretty pathetic.
    The announcer is supposed to speak clearly and be heard.
    Try writing down on a piece of paper what you think is being said, that's the most scientific test I can think of at the moment. Or maybe go to a more complicated venue like Lords Cricket Ground to hear how it should be done.
    You heard OK good for you. If we are talking personal experience then for the most part people near me turn to each other and ask 'what was that?', or 'what's going on?' or 'who did he say the subs were?'
    You say the guy doing the announcement has been doing it for years, and seem to suggest he should get an increase in pay. After all this time you might have thought that 'doing it' would include being concerned about clear communication.
    If the ground is unsafe, close it down for sure, what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The announcements from the pitch seem to depend on where he is standing. I normally sit in the west upper and hardly ever hear anything. However the safety announcements would come from the control box. I have always been able to hear any announcements from there. 

Can also never hear the sound clearly from the big screen. The Chris Solly tribute contained so many graphics that were too small to be seen from the west stand. 
  • Options
    Ok. Make all spoken announcements from the control box in future.
    Making announcements from the pitch isn't working.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where do I suggest an increase in pay,and what is the relevance of a scientific test ,not something I have considered doing at a  football match,but each to their own.With regards to subs,Villa were doing 3-4 at a time,I personally have never heard of most of the Villa team,so who they were was not important to me.Also I knew the Charlton lads so really didnt pay much attention to the announcements.Had there been an emergency I am absolutely sure no one in the ground would have been in any doubt about the seriousness involved.Dont know what announcements at Lords would compare with a  football match at Charlton,entirely different game,"next batsmen is so and so",coming on to bowl so and so"and bearing in mind Lords is the cricket equivelant of Wembley,it is not unreasonable to expect the best of everything.
  • Options
    You said above you heard OK but now say you didn't pay much attention to the announcements.
  • Options
    and i like the announcer and ive never had a problem with audibility 
  • Options
    The full game is on Youtube
    https://youtu.be/SZQlUZ2Imwc
    Gosh, I thought I was a Charlton fan but I'm baulking at sitting through two hours to watch a friendly match that I know ends in a comprehensive defeat. Thanks for posting, but is there a highlights vid instead?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I stopped going to pre season and testimonial games well before Duchatelet.

This sums me up, nothing to do with RD or boycotting. I have supported Charlton for over 50 years and have never been to a pre-season friendly or a testimonial.

Does not make me a bad fan or person, just my choice.

I prefer to watch games where something is at stake like points or a place in the next round, not a training session.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The full game is on Youtube
    https://youtu.be/SZQlUZ2Imwc
    Gosh, I thought I was a Charlton fan but I'm baulking at sitting through two hours to watch a friendly match that I know ends in a comprehensive defeat. Thanks for posting, but is there a highlights vid instead?
    You can skip through it....
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It was a worthy testimonial for a long serving player - disappointing turnout. Saying you didn't go because RD is the owner is not an excuse as AFKA says.
    There is an important point so many of us miss because we can't see beyond our own perspectives. What did we learn from the upsurge of support at the end of last season? It is pretty clear that if fans are given something to support, they will support it. That includes fans of other clubs who may be priced out of watching their own team. These fans are a million times more important than AFKA and me.  Why? Because they are the fans you have to attract to be successful. There aren't enough of us that will gladly go and watch rubbish. We need to give them a product.

Football is a business and we have to pay for the pleasure, so it doesn't do for fellow fans telling fans what they should or shouldn't do unless it relates to poor behaviour. We will never achieve anything if those attitudes permeate through the club. Had Charlton done great business before the game, the Valley would have been a lot fuller yesterday. The important fans are the ones you win - not the ones who are happy just to go whatever rubbish is on display because there will never be enough of them and moaning about the fact doesn't help. And if we all start getting that instead of complaining about those that don't attend we might be on the right track. 

At Wembley and indeed the play off games, we saw the fantastic potential of our great club. It is a shame we don't have an owner to match at the moment.
  • Options

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

Just the way it is.....mate.
    A lot of people couldn't be arsed to go to show their respect to Chris and RD seems to be a handy excuse. If these fans were so disillusioned by your logic they wouldn't have gone to Wembley.

Can't really compare a play off final at Wembley with a pre season testimonial. 
    I keep being told fans aren't going because they don't like RD - loads of them suddenly reappear at the playoff games.

When they get a chance to support our longest serving player at his testimonial they suddenly trot out the RD excuse again - seems a very convenient excuse.

Has it not dawned on you that they may not be the same people?
    Those that stay away due to Duchatelet will probably remain steadfastly consistent in their absence, whereas those that come and go are probably the usual floaters associated with any club who come and go on a whim.

Would like to have been there for Chris, but in my case was put off by the travel disruption. I'm not local, based in Dorset.
    Could have made more effort,but there you go it is what it is.

BTW, without meaning any disrespect to Chris, his much heralded "loyalty" has de facto been enforced by his dodgy knees.
    4 or 5 years ago he was a Premier league standard right back who I am certain would have been snapped up by bigger fish if he could have passed a medical.
    Better than Jenkinson imo, who went for £4m?