Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Does Jack Grealish need so much hair gel?
  • Options
    As the Villa commentator said several times, "It's very dark here at The Valley".
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
    Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

Just the way it is.....mate.
    A lot of people couldn't be arsed to go to show their respect to Chris and RD seems to be a handy excuse. If these fans were so disillusioned by your logic they wouldn't have gone to Wembley.

Can't really compare a play off final at Wembley with a pre season testimonial. 
    I keep being told fans aren't going because they don't like RD - loads of them suddenly reappear at the playoff games.

When they get a chance to support our longest serving player at his testimonial they suddenly trot out the RD excuse again - seems a very convenient excuse.

Has it not dawned on you that they may not be the same people?
    Those that stay away due to Duchatelet will probably remain steadfastly consistent in their absence, whereas those that come and go are probably the usual floaters associated with any club who come and go on a whim.

Would like to have been there for Chris, but in my case was put off by the travel disruption. I'm not local, based in Dorset.
    Could have made more effort,but there you go it is what it is.

BTW, without meaning any disrespect to Chris, his much heralded "loyalty" has de facto been enforced by his dodgy knees.
    4 or 5 years ago he was a Premier league standard right back who I am certain would have been snapped up by bigger fish if he could have passed a medical.
    Better than Jenkinson imo, who went for £4m?
    Jenkinson went for about £1m as he was out of contract but young enough for us to get compensation.
  • Options
    Thought we were lacking in all areas. 

No one played well, and a few fell short. Williams is the best we have and we don't get him on the ball enough. Neither full back impressed. Nor Amos. Not sure I agree with the consensus on Lockyer - who like to see more. Big fan of JFC but he looked off the pace. Not writing him off though. Pratley harried. Liked Aneke. Looks ungainly but he did cause them some problems, which no one else did. LTB was a bit casual. Only Lapslie impressed of the subs for me. One sublime through ball.

Without Aribo, Cullen and Bielik we are weaker than last year. Tragic to hear Bowyer is being laughed at with the money we're offering. He deserves better than that.

Was anyone else bothered by our muggy teenage fans in the North Lower in the first half? Had to endure 40 minutes of them competing to see who could swear the most/shout the most stupid thing. Horrible little twerps. Was sitting with two people I'd taken for their first visit to the Valley and two young children and found it really unpleasant. I don't appreciate fellow Charlton fans being called effing traitors for not standing up when some teenage herbert decided they should. Was glad they effed off after 40 mins. 

• Options
    I don't know. The North Lower teens started a Naby Sarr chant, earning my unwavering loyalty 
  • Options
    Other observations, I know some people are on holiday etc...but having just 2 out of 7 home sections open (and half empty) for our first post Wembley Valley outing and recognition for a very popular truer against decent opposition was disappointing. We both took 40k to Wembley but there is a massive support gulf between clubs like us and Villa.

Was embarrassing also having what seemed to be only one matchball and one poor kid having to climb up and go hunting round the East Stand for the ball everytime it went in there. 
    Don’t blame the fans, blame Duchatelet. If there is hope fans will turn up. RD is sucking every ounce of hope out of the club so people fail to become enthused.

Had there been a take over leading up to Solly’s testimonial the gate could well have been doubled. The Wembley win was a brief respite in a journey of despair.
    If you a talking about a friendly game centred around paying respect and thanks to a long serving 100%er where none of the money goes to Duchâtelet, then in this instance no I won’t blame Duchâtelet mate. In fact, I would have thought this would have been a good opportunity for those boycotting to get a conscience-free Valley visit in?

Anyway, digressing. Key point I was making was that in my opinion it was a disappointing home turnout for what the game was. 

Disappointing for Solly, of course, but hardly surprising. Showing respect to the long serving player is not the way most fans think these days. 

The crowd yesterday was largely driven by how people feel about the club, not a protest, more like disillusionment. And that’s down to RD.

A lot of people couldn't be arsed to go to show their respect to Chris and RD seems to be a handy excuse. If these fans were so disillusioned by your logic they wouldn't have gone to Wembley.

Exactly.

Season not yet officially started and already people are telling others what they should be doing.
  • Options
    Was very disappointed in the turn out yesterday. Thought Solly deserved more than that. I realise people are on holidays and there was travel problems but must have been bewildering coming out to a more than half empty stadium. Even more embarrassing to be outnumbered and out sung by the opposition ! Don't get how people can blame RD for that. 
    That aside i really hope fans come back and get behind the team this season.. as Solly himself said they're going to need our support as its going to be a very difficult season. 
    Look at the atmosphere we created at the Donnie game .. i really believe that sort of atmosphere spurs the team on. 
    I hate RD and what he has done to our club as much as anyone but... i have joined in protests etc but if he doesn't want to sell i really don't think anything we do can make him (unfortunatley)..so why don't fans just get behind the team create a fantastic atmosphere and enjoy supporting our great club. Its like sticking two fingers up to him in my opinion .. that he's not going to stop us doing what we've done for years ..getting behind and supporting OUR club.
    Boycotting in my opinion has a negative effect on the team and has and will not affect RD in any way. 
    Lets show the championship we mean business ! COYR ! 

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Southbank said:
    JFC and Pratley instead of Cullen and Aribo. That is how far we are behind our League One team, trouble ahead.
    Why not wait till 9th August before shitting yourself?
    That's just hiding the problem. Yes we can't control anything and I agree we have time, but you cannot have a pop at people highlighting the concern. 
    Whats the point of panicking though?

Yes there MIGHT be trouble ahead but its still far too soon to be thinking there will be
    I don't agree, it's not the start of pre-season, it's the end of it. 
    Yeah and how did we look at the end of pre-season last season?

Seem to remember going into the first game of the season with a lack of players on the bench
    You're right. Having players is sooo overrated.

We got promoted last year so it stands to reason we will get promoted this year. Right?
    No...but majority was at panic stations then and the season was a success.
    This season's success is avoiding relegation. Bows and Gallen will get the players in that they think will suit and then we can kick on. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Southbank said:
    JFC and Pratley instead of Cullen and Aribo. That is how far we are behind our League One team, trouble ahead.
    That's just hiding the problem. Yes we can't control anything and I agree we have time, but you cannot have a pop at people highlighting the concern. 

Yes there MIGHT be trouble ahead but its still far too soon to be thinking there will be

Seem to remember going into the first game of the season with a lack of players on the bench

We got promoted last year so it stands to reason we will get promoted this year. Right?
    This season's success is avoiding relegation. Bows and Gallen will get the players in that they think will suit and then we can kick on. 
    They'll try to. But it's far from certain that we won't end up with several making-do, plan c or d choices 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    angrybird said:
    Was very disappointed in the turn out yesterday. Thought Solly deserved more than that. I realise people are on holidays and there was travel problems but must have been bewildering coming out to a more than half empty stadium. Even more embarrassing to be outnumbered and out sung by the opposition ! Don't get how people can blame RD for that. 
    That aside i really hope fans come back and get behind the team this season.. as Solly himself said they're going to need our support as its going to be a very difficult season. 
    Look at the atmosphere we created at the Donnie game .. i really believe that sort of atmosphere spurs the team on. 
    I hate RD and what he has done to our club as much as anyone but... i have joined in protests etc but if he doesn't want to sell i really don't think anything we do can make him (unfortunatley)..so why don't fans just get behind the team create a fantastic atmosphere and enjoy supporting our great club. Its like sticking two fingers up to him in my opinion .. that he's not going to stop us doing what we've done for years ..getting behind and supporting OUR club.
    Boycotting in my opinion has a negative effect on the team and has and will not affect RD in any way. 

Maybe because some fans may not be as negative as you about getting rid of Duchatelet. Personally, I am only responding because you lot ( or rather you little) are quick to criticise fans who see things differently, but I think the people that hold your views are part of the problem. I don't think it should be accepted after such a glorious promotion, with many thousands at Wembley, how Bowyer has been treated and how poorly supported the team has been to even have a go at the Championship. Expecting people to go and cheer when we are beaten week in and week out is too much. At least we should try to do something rather than just accept it. It is the real fans that try to do something IMO, not those who are happy to attend and watch their club die and tell everybody not to bother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to all the Selhurst games - I accepted it at the time and felt we should just support our club. Thank god for those who didn't. Better fans than me at the time by a long shot. They fought for the club whilst I was happy to be one of less than 4,000 watching us in the top division - slowly dying!
  • Options
    angrybird said:

Maybe because some fans may not be as negative as you about getting rid of Duchatelet. Personally, I am only responding because you lot ( or rather you little) are quick to criticise fans who see things differently, but I think the people that hold your views are part of the problem. I don't think it should be accepted after such a glorious promotion, with many thousands at Wembley, how Bowyer has been treated and how poorly supported the team has been to even have a go at the Championship. Expecting people to go and cheer when we are beaten week in and week out is too much. At least we should try to do something rather than just accept it. It is the real fans that try to do something IMO, not those who are happy to attend and watch their club die and tell everybody not to bother.

• Options
    Your anger management is impressive @angrybird.
  • Options
    I didn't and wouldn't criticise fans for their choice of action was merely stating my view. I don't see how I'm part of the problem..ive protested etc and would continue to do so but i don't see how we can make him sell... if you have any ideas please feel free to share. I would be interested to know what that something is. 
    So what you're saying is we should all boycott and let the team come out to no support at all ,,and what would that achieve?!
    And for your information i consider myself a real fan ... i have joined in all protests and will continue to do so ! Im by no means happy how the club is being run and i have not said for people not to bother. Its just that he's not going to stop me from following and supporting the club that i love. 
  • Options
    angrybird said:

Yep we lost that one 
    angrybird said:

Yep we lost that one 
    angrybird said:

Yep we lost that one 
    angrybird said:

Yep we lost that one 
    angrybird said:

Yep we lost that one 

• Options
    edited July 2019
    No, I am saying that people should go if they want and I do see the importance of some fans going. But they should not criticise those that don't. For starters, it will make no difference, and it makes them sound like they think they are better supporters. I think those that want to go and don't are just as good supporters and shouldn't be criticised for it and if they are willing to put themselves out and protest, well good on them. But ultimately, the most important supporters are those that are clearly not better than either group. The ones that want to get some enjoyment and excitement for their money. We know they are there, we saw them last season, and you telling those that want to fight to make us a club that can attract them should stop and just accept things is not helping IMO.

Unless you have an idea for filling the valley other than moaning about those that choose not to attend, you clearly can't be part of the solution. Those trying to affect change are the only ones who can be. And if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
  • Options
    But we won overall and was rewarded with a fantastic trip to wembley..and the point i was making was the crowd and the atmosphere we created was influencial in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2019
    Off_it said:
    Southbank said:

Championship is a tougher league & Charlton currently have a league one squad thanks to Duchatelet. Hoping that loans & some miracle working from Lee Bowyers& Steve Gallen will happen. A successful season will be staying up & Duchatelet selling. Charlton will only get an opportunity to kick on when Duchatelet fecks off
  • Options
    angrybird said:
    But we won overall and was rewarded with a fantastic trip to wembley..and the point i was making was the crowd and the atmosphere we created was influencial in that.
    Yes it was, and it was thanks to Bowyer putting together a team that we could support despite the owner. And when I say we, I don't mean a hardcore 6k. If you are one of those, nobody should really be bothered about you - you can be disrepected, even hit over the head with a cricket bat on entry and you will still attend. Unless you try to bring those that are less committed in, you are very little use to the possible brighter future of the club. better to try and fail than not to try at all.
  • Options
    vff said:
    Off_it said:
    Southbank said:

Championship is a tougher league & Charlton currently have a league one squad thanks to Duchatelet. Hoping that loans & some miracle working from Lee Bowyers& Steve Gallen will happen. A successful season will be staying up & Duchatelet selling. Charlton will only get an opportunity to kick on when Duchatelet fecks off
    I echo that, and Bowyer did it once and we shouldn't assume he can't do it again. We shall see soon enough. But we have to respect how hard it is and if he doesn't do it this season, it won't be his fault. If he does do it, it will be no thanks to Roland.
  • Options

I keep being told fans aren't going because they don't like RD - loads of them suddenly reappear at the playoff games.

When they get a chance to support our longest serving player at his testimonial they suddenly trot out the RD excuse again - seems a very convenient excuse.

July is not the football season and, as said already , many that would have attended are on holiday or, like me, had alternative arrangements for a July Saturday that predated the arrangement of Chris Solly's actual testimonial fixture.

Notwithstanding all that it's human nature that if it's pi***** down with rain, you haven't already paid up front and you know that you will be confronted with yet more travel aggravation on top of what you put up with all week then you won't bother if you are not feeling particularly mentally resilient that day.
  • Options
    Am I correct in thinking that our best player yesterday, one of the new signings apparently, has done a hamstring and is out for the foreseeable?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    The full game is on Youtube
    https://youtu.be/SZQlUZ2Imwc
    Gosh, I thought I was a Charlton fan but I'm baulking at sitting through two hours to watch a friendly match that I know ends in a comprehensive defeat. Thanks for posting, but is there a highlights vid instead?
    It’s quite a decent watch. Well the first 20 minutes are at least. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Am I correct in thinking that our best player yesterday, one of the new signings apparently, has done a hamstring and is out for the foreseeable?
    Aneke felt his hamstring against Gillingham and was promptly taken off as a precaution...

Seems there was a repeat of the problem again yesterday so hopefully it was just as a precaution to ensure he's available for Blackburn

Certainly nothing confirmed about him being out for the foreseeable at present
  • Options
    Bowyer said he may go for X-ray on Monday
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    LenGlover said:

July is not the football season and, as said already , many that would have attended are on holiday or, like me, had alternative arrangements for a July Saturday that predated the arrangement of Chris Solly's actual testimonial fixture.

Notwithstanding all that it's human nature that if it's pi***** down with rain, you haven't already paid up front and you know that you will be confronted with yet more travel aggravation on top of what you put up with all week then you won't bother if you are not feeling particularly mentally resilient that day.
    I understand there are loads of reasons why peoole didn't go yesterday but it's the blaming it on 'RD' excuse when the game had nothing to do with him that wears a bit thin. Some people seem to pick and choose this excuse rather than be a bit more honest and just say 'I didn't fancy going'.