Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    _MrDick said:
    Enjoyed being back at The Valley, but so much of our club screamed amateurish today
    Yeah, they ran out of hot dogs and hot water for the tea at half time. I wonder who ate all the hot dogs, eh?
    You was lucky brought 5 of the little f**kers @ £4.30 a go and honest they were the worst thing I've ever eaten inside a football stadium. 
    And no we only had one each before you ask
    Absolute shocking
  • Options
    I got the chicken and gammon pie. It was actually really nice
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    As the Villa commentator said several times, "It's very dark here at The Valley".
    He was referring to the big black cloud that’s hanging over us AKA Roland Duchatelet 
  • Options
    Attendance was disappointing but didn't we have a friendly back in 2003 against NEC Nijmegen for Clive Mendonca and the crowd figures were quite low for where we were as well?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bowyer said he may go for X-ray on Monday

Scan
  • Options
    Am I making this up or did I read on here that there was a heavy police presence, including mounted police, in attendance?

If I am not making it up then how was this police presence paid for? If it was out of yesterday's testimonial receipts then that rather blows the theories of 'no money going to Roland' from the match out of the water.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Am I making this up or did I read on here that there was a heavy police presence, including mounted police, in attendance?

If I am not making it up then how was this police presence paid for? If it was out of yesterday's testimonial receipts then that rather blows the theories of 'no money going to Roland' from the match out of the water.

How does it?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

How does it?

In that the Club (ie Roland effectively) may not have had to pay police costs they normally would for putting on a home match.

Back in the day the Club put on a  special match at ITS expense as a reward for a long serving player.

That may have happened yesterday too in which case fine. However if not then indirectly Roland, via the Club, has saved costs he would otherwise have incurred.

To the argument if there was no testimonial there would have been no police costs therefore the testimonial fund should pay my response would be that the Club (theoretically I accept given the shitshow we have become under Roland) has benefited towards next season from a friendly against a team from a higher level and should thus pay accordingly.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

How does it?

In that the Club (ie Roland effectively) may not have had to pay police costs they normally would for putting on a home match.

Back in the day the Club put on a  special match at ITS expense as a reward for a long serving player.

That may have happened yesterday too in which case fine. However if not then indirectly Roland, via the Club, has saved costs he would otherwise have incurred.

To the argument if there was no testimonial there would have been no police costs therefore the testimonial fund should pay my response would be that the Club (theoretically I accept given the shitshow we have become under Roland) has benefited towards next season from a friendly against a team from a higher level and should thus pay accordingly.
    I blame the EU.
  • Options
    Read else where Millwall got 3,500 yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless things have changed (quite possibly as I’ve been out the job 5yrs now) you only pay for police inside the ground. 
  • Options
    The police horse complaint comes round regularly and misses the point that the police use minor football matches to exercise and train their horses; they are not necessarily there because they are thought to be required to control the crowd. There is a cost but it's unlikely to have been met by the club or the testimonial fund.

A pre-season friendly for the OB to try out their new squad 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Unless things have changed (quite possibly as I’ve been out the job 5yrs now) you only pay for police inside the ground. 
    Different rules apply for friendlies, which have long been full recovery, although I don't know for sure if that applies to testimonials.
  • Options
    To Len Glover,yes,6 horses in Floyd Road,and about 20 other officers,most of who were wearing flat caps and looked like senior officers not your ordinary bobby.
    With regards only a training exer cise,this happens to often and is a waste of valuable police time.
  • Options
    To Len Glover,yes,6 horses in Floyd Road,and about 20 other officers,most of who were wearing flat caps and looked like senior officers not your ordinary bobby.
    With regards only a training exer cise,this happens to often and is a waste of valuable police time.
    Why is it a waste of time for the police to have a training exercise?
  • Options
    If it had kicked off with 3000 away fans present i'm sure someone would be asking where the OB were.
  • Options
    Attendance was disappointing but didn't we have a friendly back in 2003 against NEC Nijmegen for Clive Mendonca and the crowd figures were quite low for where we were as well?
    Had the attendance been announced? 
  • Options
    Watched most the match on YouTube and thought it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.  
    Aneke looked good, and hopefully will form a decent partnership with Taylor, who doesn't seem to be too bothered by friendlies. Harriott was ok too and worth a punt if we're thin on the ground. Wasn't convinced by the defense, but it takes time to develop an understanding doesn't it? The midfield is light, but IBWT. Actually Williams looked in great nick.

Aneke's little move with Harriott led to a cross that should have be turned in at the far post by Purrington, and would have been were it not for a deflection. Would have made it 2-3, and added a spring to the step maybe.

10 minute of the match to watch on the laptop, with the Tour de France on the telly. Happy days.

(Actually, they're not happy days at all, but that's another matter).
  • Options
    angrybird said:
    I didn't and wouldn't criticise fans for their choice of action was merely stating my view. I don't see how I'm part of the problem..ive protested etc and would continue to do so but i don't see how we can make him sell... if you have any ideas please feel free to share. I would be interested to know what that something is. 
    So what you're saying is we should all boycott and let the team come out to no support at all ,,and what would that achieve?!
    And for your information i consider myself a real fan ... i have joined in all protests and will continue to do so ! Im by no means happy how the club is being run and i have not said for people not to bother. Its just that he's not going to stop me from following and supporting the club that i love. 
    Of course the fans are not going to make the idiot sell.

It makes me feel a lot better I am not giving him any of my dough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    angrybird said:
    I didn't and wouldn't criticise fans for their choice of action was merely stating my view. I don't see how I'm part of the problem..ive protested etc and would continue to do so but i don't see how we can make him sell... if you have any ideas please feel free to share. I would be interested to know what that something is. 
    So what you're saying is we should all boycott and let the team come out to no support at all ,,and what would that achieve?!
    And for your information i consider myself a real fan ... i have joined in all protests and will continue to do so ! Im by no means happy how the club is being run and i have not said for people not to bother. Its just that he's not going to stop me from following and supporting the club that i love. 
    Of course the fans are not going to make the idiot sell.

It makes me feel a lot better I am not giving him any of my dough.
    I tried that last season, and it didn’t work :-(
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I got the chicken and gammon pie. It was actually really nice
    Yep second vote for that.
  • Options
    Solely on today's performance only Williams, Taylor and Aneke
    looked anything like Championship class.

On today's performance Taylor is either unfit or not good enough for the step up. He looked slow and ponderous on the ball.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    cs1986 said:

On today's performance Taylor is either unfit or not good enough for the step up. He looked slow and ponderous on the ball.
     Have to disagree, Taylor was bombing around the pitch first half and looked exciting.

Second half I think Mings just wrapped him up and placed him in his pocket. Which I expect a £20m player to do to a £5m max player.

Fortunately Aneke looks very good, only doing what Karlan used to do wrong, taking too long to decide pass or shoot.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    cs1986 said:

The Taylor I saw looked okay.
  • Options
    Taylor did well, no problem there 
  • Options
    To Off it,my inference was that this level of policing was at most games last year,even when Fleetwood brought less than 200 fans on a tuesday night,so I have my doubts if it was a training exercise,as it happens all over the country.I just do not think this level of policing is needed and resources should be used elsewhere.Certainly when Leeds,Millwall etc turn up their is some justification,but just imagine the amount of officers at Charlton on saturday,and the amount at meaningless friendlies all round the country.

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Enjoyed being back at The Valley, but so much of our club screamed amateurish today
    Yeah, they ran out of hot dogs and hot water for the tea at half time. I wonder who ate all the hot dogs, eh?
    You was lucky brought 5 of the little f**kers @ £4.30 a go and honest they were the worst thing I've ever eaten inside a football stadium. 
    Absolute shocking
    If you're buying anything from the twunt's toxic tearoom you can't complain it's rank - that's the bitter taste of karma for continuing to subsidise his senseless vandalism of the football club we once knew.
    Don't give me any of that bleeding heart excusery about how he doesn't get the proceeds directly.  Feeding the beast through whichever agents/contractors/smoke'n'mirrors he's exploiting, is collaboration pure and simple.  Catering, club shop, sponsorship, executive boxes, they're all eventually inflows to the twunt.  Cut off the cash supply and he'll divest sooner.
    Not a penny more.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Absolute shocking
    If you're buying anything from the twunt's toxic tearoom you can't complain it's rank - that's the bitter taste of karma for continuing to subsidise his senseless vandalism of the football club we once knew.
    Don't give me any of that bleeding heart excusery about how he doesn't get the proceeds directly.  Feeding the beast through whichever agents/contractors/smoke'n'mirrors he's exploiting, is collaboration pure and simple.  Catering, club shop, sponsorship, executive boxes, they're all eventually inflows to the twunt.  Cut off the cash supply and he'll divest sooner.
    Not a penny more.
    So we can't take food into the ground and now we can't feed our kids at the ground? Thanks for the memo. 

Your 'not a penny more' motto ignores the fact that Duchatelet just keeps adding the debts of running the club to his sale costs. 

Fantastic.
  • Options
    slight digression and also posted elsewhere … according to stats in the 'Times' on Saturday, Grealish and McGinn were the most fouled players in the champ last season .. Grealish way out in front on 149 and McGinn 106 .. two other skilful youngsters were next, Harry Wilson, (Derby, loaned from the Scousers) on 105 and Daniel James (Swans now Man U) on 90