Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Aston Villa (Chris Solly testimonial) - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Really disliking the Villa commentator.
    He's just gone up in my estimation after doing his research on Chris Solly
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    I know Taylor always takes his pens like that but he just doesn’t look right to me. 
    Looks a little dis-interested?
    It's only preseason, must be hard to get up for matches that mean fuck all.
  • Options
    Pre-Season is finally over... Solly got the testimonial he's long deserved

Now lets get on with the proper show!!!
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    I know Taylor always takes his pens like that but he just doesn’t look right to me. 
    Looks a little dis-interested?
    No, more like he’s got the weight of the world on him
  • Options
    It's a tall order to think we can sign 2 match fit, Championship quality midfielders who can play30-40 games, but if we don't we are screwed.
  • Options
    Some of the results around today just goes to show the gulf between the premier league and the championship is widening.

Can't get too disheartened about today, Villa were a good enough championship side last season and they have gone and spent over £115m this summer on about 8-9 players.
    The Championship will have Leagues within Leagues!! - We wont be challenging at the level that Aston Villa were at last season so any result against those teams will be a bonus

Likes of Blackburn | Reading | Barnsley (all in August) are the type of teams we want to be trying to ensure we get something from, just a shame two are away
  • Options
    Did we win?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    It's a tall order to think we can sign 2 match fit, Championship quality midfielders who can play30-40 games each in the next 12 days, but if we don't we are screwed.
  • Options
    Some of the results around today just goes to show the gulf between the premier league and the championship is widening.

Can't get too disheartened about today, Villa were a good enough championship side last season and they have gone and spent over £115m this summer on about 8-9 players.
    The Championship will have Leagues within Leagues!! - We wont be challenging at the level that Aston Villa were at last season so any result against those teams will be a bonus

Likes of Blackburn | Reading | Barnsley (all in August) are the type of teams we want to be trying to ensure we get something from, just a shame two are away
    All away mate 
  • Options

All away mate 

• Options
    decent work out against an outfit that has spent £110 Million+ in the close season (about x times what CAFC has spent in its entire history)  .. McGinn and Grealish alongside the experienced Lansbury showed what is needed in midfield .. we can only get better.. good cameo from George Lapslie ..  Harriot did ok .. hope we re-sign him
  • Options
    Watched abroad on a dodgy stream. A very sobering experience and it is obvious where the problems lie. Let’s hope we can get some quality loans in like last season, although we’ll be very hard pressed to replicate what was achieved last year with Cullen and Bielik.

I suspect we’ll have to go a little more direct this season, as - Williams aside - we don’t have midfield players who can receive and use the ball in tight spaces. Too much footling around and square passing along the back will also encourage teams to press us high to win back possession in dangerous areas. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Hard to judge from a dodgy stream against clearly superior opposition so I’ll reserve judgement to some extent. Just let’s say I had low expectations and ended up disappointed. Let’s see where we are in a couple of weeks time with recruitment and after half a dozen games. But it’s hard to feel that we’re anything other than worse off than we were this time last year with a step up in class looking ominous for us. Oh and I really do not like that new home kit. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lockyer's a real worry, if he's signed as first choice defender and he plays like that every game we're dead and buried
    You mean the guy that is 20x better than Bauer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah I wasn't thrilled with Lockyer today, good as his opponents were.

A certain someone looked right at home next to him though :)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Lockyer's a real worry, if he's signed as first choice defender and he plays like that every game we're dead and buried
    All due respect mate but you are talking nonsense.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Lockyer got progressively worse as the game went on. 

JFC caused us so many problems not tracking back in the second half...
    sure

Don't get why that's a problem for Albie if it isn't for JFC.

I thought Deji looked good first half, but second half tired.

Aneke was imo the most impressive. Taylor was Taylor and Purrington unlucky not to get a tap in back post.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Thought Chuks looked really impressive. Hope the sub was just precautionary and the injury is nothing serious
    Hamstring pinged saw  it him immediately pull up as it happened.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lockyer got progressively worse as the game went on. 

JFC caused us so many problems not tracking back in the second half...
    sure

Don't get why that's a problem for Albie if it isn't for JFC.

I thought Deji looked good first half, but second half tired.

Aneke was imo the most impressive. Taylor was Taylor and Purrington unlucky not to get a tap in back post.
    Wasn’t there but I would be dubious that XI would win in league 1.  Albie and without a doubt Pearce and Dijksteel must start, and even then I doubt it would look good 
  • Options
    P.s more later. Driving home now, not overly concerned... Maynard-Brewer showed why we have another keeper to cover Phillips.
  • Options
    The board said it was Amos
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thought Chuks looked really impressive. Hope the sub was just precautionary and the injury is nothing serious
    Hamstring pinged saw  it him immediately pull up as it happened.
    Said when he tweaked it in last game, he should not be risked in a meaningless friendly.
  • Options
    Wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Bowyer started as strongly as he could, Midfield was the main issue but defence was a concern too. What you have to look at when you look at the starting eleven and say, that isn't too bad is look at Bielik, Cullen , Aribo and Bauer. All of them walk into that side without any need for debate.

Positives were Aneke looked promising, whilst he wasn't great, you could see Taylor is getting there. Williams looked bright too. Villa will be looking above them all season I fear, but they were too good for us. I think you put Cullen and Bielik in that side for Forster Caskey and Pratley and that is a closer game. 

Bowyer has to get a few players in of the right quality as a matter of urgency.