Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    Being a boycotter it’s hard to comment but if the semi final against Doncaster and the 1st half of the final are anything to go on I would have him ahead of Sarr all day long.
    They aren't anything to go on though, over the 50+ games in the season Sarr was consistently the better performer
    Right, but as @Callumcafc put (far better than I could) Sarr performed well when we were the better team. In the crucial, difficult, final games of the season Sarr was found wanting (and was a liability in the final if we are honest). Clearly next season will have more games like the latter and I would trust Pearce over Sarr in those scenarios. 
    I'm just going to mention Ramadan here, one more time. 
  • Options
    I can't see it. At this time of year you get ridiculous rumours but let's say Jackett has put an offer in.  He already knows we have a low budget and he might be looking for someone who has got plenty of experience in League one and knows what it takes to get promotion. If I was Jackett and if Pompey got the money why not put in a cheeky bid? Plus it is his hometown club so would Pearcy not be tempted to help Pompey get promoted next year. He could also be a coach down there when he gets his badges. Why not help Pompey his boyhood club get promoted next year?  Personally I would love to keep Pearce he for his experience and knowledge and Sarr can be in an out of games and is likely to pick up cards plus as seen at Wembley when backs against the wall. Would Pearce going to Pompey free up some money for us to sign Purrington? Can Page play left back? 
  • Options
    Portsmouth fans having orgasms on that pic of him in the Portsmouth shorts
  • Options
    Gumbo said:
    Pearce want to stay yes

will Roland cash in if there any offer Yes 

Will it be Pearce's Choice NO 
    Cash in? This is a journeyman centre back, frankly bizarre to think that Roland would be the one wanting him to be sold

Maybe Pearce wants to return to Pompey, there could be unfinished business he wants to complete there. Maybe for family reasons he wants to return there. Maybe Bowyer told him that he would only be a reserve next season as he wants to play more mobile centre backs in the Championship.

Or maybe the story is nonsense
  • Options
    JdCam said:
    Yes Pearce said in 2016 he would like to return one day. It's a 3 year old article, other than stating Pompey are interested him.

Mind you there must be something going on or an agent wants something going on.
    With the re-surfacing (09.06.19) of that article, then the photo of ‘him’ in the Pompey joggers seems a bit of a co-incidence! 😞 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Thommo said:
    Doing his coaching badges, Lyle Taylor just pointed out his Pompey shorts in his tweet. 

https://twitter.com/jpearce05/status/1134569445135962115?s=21

I simply assumed that he took the photo of someone else on the course shuffling pieces.

Ignorance is bliss.
    Exactly the same mate, thought it was someone else on the course with him, didn't even think anything of the Pompey clobber until now.
  • Options
    An interesting fact about Pearce is that he has had a big injury every season he has been with us. And missed roughly a third of each season. Probably also a big earner as well. There are a number of younger defenders available on frees. Tom Lockyer, Curtis Nelson etc. It could be an opportunity for us to someone a little younger and less injury prone. 

Don’t get me wrong I love JP and feel he could still do a job for us. 
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    Being a boycotter it’s hard to comment but if the semi final against Doncaster and the 1st half of the final are anything to go on I would have him ahead of Sarr all day long.
    They aren't anything to go on though, over the 50+ games in the season Sarr was consistently the better performer
    Right, but as @Callumcafc put (far better than I could) Sarr performed well when we were the better team. In the crucial, difficult, final games of the season Sarr was found wanting (and was a liability in the final if we are honest). Clearly next season will have more games like the latter and I would trust Pearce over Sarr in those scenarios. 
    Surely if fasting (do we even know if he was fasting?) was having an impact on Sarr, Bowyer would have recognised it in training and chosen not to play him in the two biggest games of the season? 
  • Options
    Moo said:
    An interesting fact about Pearce is that he has had a big injury every season he has been with us. And missed roughly a third of each season. Probably also a big earner as well. There are a number of younger defenders available on frees. Tom Lockyer, Curtis Nelson etc. It could be an opportunity for us to someone a little younger and less injury prone. 

Agree with this, i like him and would be sorry to see him go but............he's played 74 league games in 3 seasons for us. Which means through either injury or not being selected, he's missed 64 games in 3 years.

It won't be a disaster if he does go, as centre back is a position where you can pick up decent players cheaply. If Bauer goes as well though, then we do have an issue.
  • Options
    I understand you making that comment but they were the only iffy games he played all season. He was immense in the others including big games against Luton etc.
    After the cockup and booking at Wembley quite rightly he was hooked by our fishing loving manager.
    Then Pearce who is a natural Captain could be his old fashion no nonsense self.

I hope Jason stays around because, will Naby adapt to the higher quality attackers or will he become the John Stones I can be last man and dribble around the on rushing forward ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moo said:

Bowyer will also need to consider experience and leadership, as there will be times when you need an older head in the side to organise things and help the younger player.

No idea what Pearce's wages are, but unlikely to be more than Sarr or Bauer, both signed when we were a Championship and for decent fees I think
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    So our very own Nabster is affected by Ramadan But the highest profile Muslim Mo Salah isn't ? 
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    So our very own Nabster is affected by Ramadan But the highest profile Muslim Mo Salah isn't ? 
    because salah was unreal in the champions league final........
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    because salah was unreal in the champions league final........
    Both Liverpool and Spurs must have a team of Muslims because hardly anyone played with energy !
    Neither Salah or Sarr would be picked if they were weak from hunger during this period.
  • Options
    Moo said:

Bowyer will also need to consider experience and leadership, as there will be times when you need an older head in the side to organise things and help the younger player.

No idea what Pearce's wages are, but unlikely to be more than Sarr or Bauer, both signed when we were a Championship and for decent fees I think
    I agree. Also, Pearce's wages would be significantly less than Sarr's. Sarr was a signing we made in the Championship whereas Pearce was signed by Slade in League 1.
  • Options
    He was crucial to the Wembley win. If it means we can keep Bauer then fine but I'd like to keep Pearce, along with Sarr and Bauer and get Bielik back.
  • Options
    Moo said:

I agree. Also, Pearce's wages would be significantly less than Sarr's. Sarr was a signing we made in the Championship whereas Pearce was signed by Slade in League 1.
    Pearce has also signed a new contract since he first signed for us.  Now the dead wood has been released it wouldn't supprised me if they were our top 3 earners. 
  • Options
    Love Naby but sometimes he is so unpredictable and flaky .. Pearce is more reliable though less 'talented' .. unless Bowyer has tagged another centre back to come in and compete with Naby and to play (hopefully) alongside Bauer, Pearce must stay, unless he wants away of course 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    So what was his excuse over the previous three seasons?

Happy to give him a chance at the higher level but let’s just say I don’t feel good about our survival chances at all if we go into the season with Naby as first choice CB.
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:
    So what was his excuse over the previous three seasons?

Happy to give him a chance at the higher level but let’s just say I don’t feel good about our survival chances at all if we go into the season with Naby as first choice CB.
    You what? He's easily Championship quality 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dunno what happened with the formatting there. 

Sarr is easily Championship quality. If we started the season with him in defence it would be close to the bottom of reasons I'd fear relegation 
  • Options
    Nice how all the 'liability' haters are creeping back in after a couple of miskicks against Doncaster, one own goal that wasn't his fault and a yellow card that rightly resulted in his substitution. Well done for forgetting the preceding four months
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Nice how all the 'liability' haters are creeping back in after a couple of miskicks against Doncaster, one own goal that wasn't his fault and a yellow card that rightly resulted in his substitution. Well done for forgetting the preceding four months
    I love Naby. He’s technically gifted and seems like a great bloke.

My point is that he’s one of the first to crumble under any sort of pressure.

He’s a great outlet with his cross field passes when we’re dominating Rochdale and Scunthorpe at home but when we came up against the better quality opposition, they went at him and he looked like an accident waiting to happen.

He will likely be a weak link next season.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Leuth said:
    I love Naby. He’s technically gifted and seems like a great bloke.

My point is that he’s one of the first to crumble under any sort of pressure.

He’s a great outlet with his cross field passes when we’re dominating Rochdale and Scunthorpe at home but when we came up against the better quality opposition, they went at him and he looked like an accident waiting to happen.

He will likely be a weak link next season.
    I have to agree with this. Naby's worth a starting spot for the first couple of games. If he blows it, he must be dropped. In the Champ and against a MUCH higher quality striker than plays in L1, we can't afford to give him too much, if any, settling in time. Hopefully of course he will settle in from the off.
    If Bauer goes (unlikely now we are promoted ?) I wouldn't make him a starter

I have long had a theory that Naby could develop as a holding midfielder. Alas, as in the above situation, there will be little or no leeway for that theory to be tested, even if I am right in my estimation.
     (Sorry to make this a 'Naby' not a Pearce discussion)
  • Options
    Weak against the stronger teams? Would this be the Sarr who in the second half of last season achieved player marks of 7.54 against Sunderland, 7.63 against Peterborough, 7.07 against Doncaster, 7.74 against Portsmouth and 8.30 against Luton? Frankly, you are talking utter bollocks. He dominated almost everyone he came up against, including in the playoff first leg. He was involved in a dicey team performance in the home leg and got taken off to prevent a second yellow after an unfortunate own goal in the final. That's all. If teams tried to target him, they didn't do very well out of it. I really hope your lazy idea that the better team can target him doesn't become received wisdom
  • Options
    We will see. I hope he makes the step up, I really do.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Weren't the games Naby was less than great when he was asked to play left of a three? Having never played a full season anywhere, he will be lacking the experience to do so, and Bow & Jacko were midfielders so perhaps can't coach the nuances.  Given he is decent with his right, he should be in the middle of a three and fine in a four.
  • Options
    Naby looked very nervous in the games v Doncaster and Sunderland - not sure of the reason?
  • Options
    Naby looked very nervous in the games v Doncaster and Sunderland - not sure of the reason?
    I don't think I would play as well if I couldn't eat in daylight hours for weeks.