Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    Trouble with the modern “passing out from the back” is you need the players to do it.  We know Pearce’s strengths but I’m sure we all agree tippy tappy isn’t one of them.  If Adkins wants to do this then Famewo has gotta play. 
    Maybe....but Famewo has been the biggest culprit of just whacking the ball forward, so he'll have to change his mindset. 
    He has been disappointing agreed.
  • Trouble with the modern “passing out from the back” is you need the players to do it.  We know Pearce’s strengths but I’m sure we all agree tippy tappy isn’t one of them.  If Adkins wants to do this then Famewo has gotta play. 
    Famewo's passing has been awful this season, he's looked really uncomfortable on the ball
  • Trouble with the modern “passing out from the back” is you need the players to do it.  We know Pearce’s strengths but I’m sure we all agree tippy tappy isn’t one of them.  If Adkins wants to do this then Famewo has gotta play. 
    Famewo's passing has been awful this season, he's looked really uncomfortable on the ball
    Pompey played the short game yesterday from their keeper, however the one thing we didn’t do, was press. 
  • I think it's harsh on Pearce. The guy as has been said so many times will run through walls for you. Much like a Simon Webster of old. Problem is we are asking him to play a style of football that's not in his skillset. He's not a cultured footballer, his passing in general is not of a high standard, so asking him to tippy tappy it out from the back is ridiculous.

There were times yesterday when Portsmouth were very high up the pitch from our goal kick, it was obvious the second the ball was released they'd be on us, yet we still did it. Compare that top the other way most of the time where we allowed their keeper at least half way into their half and their central defender a free roam to the centre circle.

Lavelle isn't much different, very flat footed and doesn't look comfortable in possession when the opposition are nearby.
    Pompey played the short game yesterday from their keeper, however the one thing we didn’t do, was press. 
    I imagine Pompey practiced all summer on how to pass out from the back, and brought in the City keeper because they wanted to do this. Indeed City wouldn't have allowed him to go there unless they played that way you imagine

We would have known that, and our attacking players should have been set up to press their defenders and block the space
  • The problem for me is that imo he should be being used sparingly this season.  He’s now played in the last 3.  A third of our games.  My worry was that by extending his contract, the door was always open for him to play, and I have a feeling he’s going to tot up 25 odd apps this season.  If he plays that many games, that’s not going to be a good sign.

yep, great professional, leader, etc etc, fine.  Not someone who should be in the first team on a regular basis 
  • cabbles said:
    The problem for me is that imo he should be being used sparingly this season.  He’s now played in the last 3.  A third of our games.  My worry was that by extending his contract, the door was always open for him to play, and I have a feeling he’s going to tot up 25 odd apps this season.  If he plays that many games, that’s not going to be a good sign.

yep, great professional, leader, etc etc, fine.  Not someone who should be in the first team on a regular basis 
    Nigel did say that pearce had been told he wouldn’t be playing much, so obviously something has changed 
  • edited September 2021
    He’s one of the reason’s why we play such turgid football at times. He gets the ball, panics on it then aimlessly hoofs it or chips it down the line. 
  • cabbles said:
    The problem for me is that imo he should be being used sparingly this season.  He’s now played in the last 3.  A third of our games.  My worry was that by extending his contract, the door was always open for him to play, and I have a feeling he’s going to tot up 25 odd apps this season.  If he plays that many games, that’s not going to be a good sign.

Nigel did say that pearce had been told he wouldn’t be playing much, so obviously something has changed 
    Famewo not playing well

Personally I didn't think he was that bad, but Adkins clearly felt that he needed to be dropped
    He’s one of the reason’s why we play such turgid football at times. He gets the ball, panics on it then aimlessly hoofs it or chips it down the line. 
    Famewo did exactly the same thing, which makes me wonder that part of the problem is the lack of options in front of him
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

That all depends on the other options though, Sicknote's out for a while and Famewo has been dire. 

I'm happy for Pearce to be playing, but at least play to the players abilities. Neither him nor Lavelle are pass it out from the back players ALL the time. I know it's not the modern way, letting the Keeper kick it in the air up the other end, but it can be effective at times when required, if the midfield are switched on for the second ball (if our striker doesn't connect).
  • Lavelle is a confident enough passer imo, Pearce usually tries to do it right 
  • I love Pearce as he without doubt gives 100% all the time. The trouble is he is a disaster waiting to happen all the time. If Famwoe is out of favour atm I would honestly rather see Deji start he might make a mistake but atleast he looks composed on the ball and can pick a pass. Pearce literally gave me heart palpitations about 5 times at the weekend
  • edited September 2021
    EDIT: am idiot
  • Leuth said:
    No, Deji CANNOT pick a pass!! That is why he has been dropped!
    Ok dont shout 🤭🤭
    I disagree though
    YES HE CAN !!!!!
  • And I think he hasnt featured because of his contract situation nothing to do with his performance on the pitch
  • edited September 2021
    AndyG said:
    And I think he hasnt featured because of his contract situation nothing to do with his performance on the pitch
    This would be insane if true, which of course it isn't

EDIT: am idiot
  • Leuth said:
    AndyG said:
    And I think he hasnt featured because of his contract situation nothing to do with his performance on the pitch
    This would be insane if true, which of course it isn't
    Can I make an enquiry?
    You always seem extremely confident that your opinion is more fact based than anyone elses. Are you on the staff ? Or just making assumptions like the rest of us mate
  • edited September 2021
    You've just speculated that a player on a year-long loan has been dropped because of 'his contract situation'. I'm not on the staff, but I'm also, like, a functioning adult EDIT: non-functioning idiot
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Oh wait, you said Deji, and I meant Famewo this whole time. I'm just off to hang myself
    Haha no mate no need to go that far.

Yes I meant Deji. Can you honestly see a reason based on his performances why he should have gone down the order ? As I said I love Pearce but his time has come I'm afraid 
  • I think that current coaching wisdom is that CBs have 'sides' and Deji would be a RCB. Pearce is also more experienced, which does count for something. But I think the RCB/LCB thing is the reason.
  • Leuth said:
    I think that current coaching wisdom is that CBs have 'sides' and Deji would be a RCB. Pearce is also more experienced, which does count for something. But I think the RCB/LCB thing is the reason.
    Maybe mate. I personally would rather someone mobile playing on the wrong side than someone too slow on his correct side. As I keep saying no disrespect to pearce in anyway I would buy a ticket for his testimonial anyday but that's just my view as he frightens the f##k out of me everytime he has the ball or goes near anyone in the box
  • Leuth said:
    Oh wait, you said Deji, and I meant Famewo this whole time. I'm just off to hang myself

• Perhaps we can play Stockley at CB. He wouldn't have to move much, and could still come up for set plays
  • edited September 2021
    AndyG said:
    Leuth said:
    I think that current coaching wisdom is that CBs have 'sides' and Deji would be a RCB. Pearce is also more experienced, which does count for something. But I think the RCB/LCB thing is the reason.
    Maybe mate. I personally would rather someone mobile playing on the wrong side than someone too slow on his correct side. As I keep saying no disrespect to pearce in anyway I would buy a ticket for his testimonial anyday but that's just my view as he frightens the f##k out of me everytime he has the ball or goes near anyone in the box
    You could always put Lavelle at LCB and Deji RCB if you wanted to put the better passer (and less experienced player) on his favoured side.

Although i personally dont think that Pearce should be dropped despite his lack of ability on the ball he is a perfectly good CB at this level even at his age. Its time like these that you need characters like him and Jacko to drag the team through to a couple of decent results and build some confidence.
  • Leuth said:
    No need for that. Just say three “Hail Bowyers” and  watch this as penance. 

https://youtu.be/GdoXU6JV3pY
  • edited September 2021
    Pratley was given constant credit by a majority of our fans. He was at the centre of our previous one-and-a-half seasons of midfield drudgery, he lost the ball all the time, he was so immense Doncaster kept cutting through us and should have won until their keeper decided to hand him a tap-in, he was particularly instrumental in that dreadful run preceding Bowyer's departure, he committed constant fouls, handing away possession that way too, and his only forward contributions were his one set-piece goal a season and the occasional hoof.

Just for balance, like. I mean, sometimes he played well. Even I can admit that. He just wasn't a long-term solution and he's certainly not someone we should have looked to this or last season to get us promoted.

Pearce, on the other hand, is a centre-back. There's no good comparison. (I also rated Pratley as a centre-back, where he couldn't do so much damage.)

Game management isn't all about kicking the opposition and starting barneys, even if Pratley did a fine job of that at Wembley, yes we all remember