Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Absolute howler at City v Fulham game yesterday.
    Its backwards we’re going 🤬
    Yep, another shocker. But it barely gets a mention because we're all numb to it now. The sort of bad decisions VAR was brought in to eradicate are still being made, only now we have to wait 5 minutes for them to decide. Progress.

Football really is a pretty simple game that is endlessly complicated by these idiots drawing lines and talking about phases of play, etc. 
    barely mentioned ?

was all over Soccer Saturday, BBC Final Score, Match of the Day , Silva being interviewed, Haaland coming out and saying he would be furious if that was given against them etc 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    Absolute howler at City v Fulham game yesterday.
    Its backwards we’re going 🤬
    Yep, another shocker. But it barely gets a mention because we're all numb to it now. The sort of bad decisions VAR was brought in to eradicate are still being made, only now we have to wait 5 minutes for them to decide. Progress.

Football really is a pretty simple game that is endlessly complicated by these idiots drawing lines and talking about phases of play, etc. 
    barely mentioned ?

was all over Soccer Saturday, BBC Final Score, Match of the Day , Silva being interviewed, Haaland coming out and saying he would be furious if that was given against them etc 
    Well its been barely mentioned on here, which is what I was referring to - this is the "VAR" thread after all!
  • Options
    Referees yet again are unable to apply their own rules to situations. 

We need to start looking at replacing them with better foreign officials. 
  • Options

Your first point is spot on, your second point should be a great troll, but I actually think you mean it.
  • Options

Your first point is spot on, your second point should be a great troll, but I actually think you mean it.
    You don’t think there are any foreign refs better than the utter shite we’re stuck with.

I’m 100% in the ‘get foreign refs in’ camp.
  • Options
    How would yesterdays ref do if he was offered a premiership game, where he would be fully under focus. 
  • Options

You don’t think there are any foreign refs better than the utter shite we’re stuck with.

So the capability of football referees is influenced by their place of birth or nationality?

It’s a quite remarkable claim, on so many levels.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Do you watch the Euros or the World Cup?

The British Referees at the Major Tournaments tend to be no worse than the best from UEFA or ROW - Genuinely dont know where these amazing foreign referees are going to appear from.

Jarrett Gillett who left Australia to come to England has been awful
  • Options

So the capability of football referees is influenced by their place of birth or nationality?

That's exactly your point if you're saying we should only have English refs? 

I'm saying get the best referees in the world, regardless of where they're born. Why are we stuck with a bunch of refs from one area of the world that clearly aren't up for doing the job? 
  • Options
    But we have to be honest and admit that even a bad ref shouldn''t make those mistakes. I suspect they are letting other factors interfere with their decisions. The favourite for me is trying not to overrule the ref on the pitch where possibe. I think this is a major weakness of VAR as it is now. The VAR ref should merely overrule the ref for obvious errors and the on pitch ref shouldn't worry about that as long as the right decision is acheived.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think refs should be replaced by AI
  • Options

I'm saying get the best referees in the world, regardless of where they're born. Why are we stuck with a bunch of refs from one area of the world that clearly aren't up for doing the job? 
    What happens when the foreign Referees make mistakes just as bad, if not worse?
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Hopefully it at least breaks up the 'old boys club' that won't correct referees on mistakes even when it's obvious on the VAR screen. 

Something needs to change. Referees in this country are more concerned about their buddies than sporting integrity. 
  • Options

Hopefully it at least breaks up the 'old boys club' that won't correct referees on mistakes even when it's obvious on the VAR screen. 

Something needs to change. Referees in this country are more concerned about their buddies than sporting integrity. 
    Maybe the alternative is that Referee's need to stop being crucified post-match, so their "mates" and colleagues wont feel the need to protect them so much?
  • Options

Maybe the alternative is that Referee's need to stop being crucified post-match, so their "mates" and colleagues wont feel the need to protect them so much?
    Do better then. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Do better then. 
    You can laugh as always - But keep dreaming that a foreign Referee will be the solution then, because it wont whilst people expect perfection.

Like I've long asked, why do you think a foreign referee will be the answer, when they're clearly not in International Competitions.

Whats the answer when they dont solve the problem?

We go for Inter-Galactic Referees?
  • Options

Do better then. 
    You can laugh as always - But keep dreaming that a foreign Referee will be the solution then, because it wont whilst people expect perfection.
    Expecting competence =/= perfection. 

When referees can freely tell the press they didn't interfere because they didn't want their mate to look bad, the whole profession is a joke. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Do better then. 

When referees can freely tell the press they didn't interfere because they didn't want their mate to look bad, the whole profession is a joke. 
    You see I think this is a better solution to foreign referees

Mic them up (not just for VAR decisions), get them talking to the press after games, no different to standard post match interviews.

Referees need to be humanised more - Instead they're this invisible entity for the most part, and are treated as though they'd rather be the main star of the show... Which for the most part, I imagine isnt the case.

In turn it'll be harder to protect a mate, as the world will be hearing their reasoning behind their view on an incident.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Do better then. 

Mic them up (not just for VAR decisions), get them talking to the press after games, no different to standard post match interviews.

Referees need to be humanised more - Instead they're this invisible entity for the most part, and are treated as though they'd rather be the main star of the show... Which for the most part, I imagine isnt the case.
    Why do you think that's the case? 

Because PGMOL refuse to allow any kind of criticism or transparency about officiating. Jobs for the boys is protected above all else. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Do better then. 

Why do you think that's the case? 

Because PGMOL refuse to allow any kind of criticism or transparency about officiating. Jobs for the boys is protected above all else. 
    Decision needs to be taken away from them, because in the long run foreign refs (Gillett etc.) wont make a blind bit of difference, I've not seen enough decent games from them in Continental / International games to convince me others, apart from perhaps one or two
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Discussion on the Man Utd v Wolves penalty that never was. 

https://youtu.be/7bNQKyvDOV0?si=wJVWSGas0JRyH8_9
  • Options
    "It's just a collision, we don't give those", says the ref.

Absolute helmet.

And there's no doubt that the VAR heard him say that and decided to just back his mate. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    "It's just a collision, we don't give those", says the ref.

Absolute helmet.

And there's no doubt that the VAR heard him say that and decided to just back his mate. Ridiculous.
    The VAR was clearly going towards a foul at first and then talked himself out of it. 
  • Options
    There’s also this one on the Van Dijk red card v Newcastle.

https://youtu.be/QndBrhE9bJk?si=TArki-ZC4_eeumwb
  • Options

Do you watch the Euros or the World Cup?

The British Referees at the Major Tournaments tend to be no worse than the best from UEFA or ROW - Genuinely dont know where these amazing foreign referees are going to appear from.

Jarrett Gillett who left Australia to come to England has been awful
    Which by that logic would mean the best foreign refs  may be better than the average British ones. 
  • Options

Absolutely not. Good and bad refs can come from anywhere, which is why it’s ridiculous we restrict ourselves to refs from only one country.  
  • Options

Absolutely not. Good and bad refs can come from anywhere, which is why it’s ridiculous we restrict ourselves to refs from only one country.  
    But that's not what SELR is suggesting. He's stating that foreign officials are de facto better.
  • Options
    Oh for the days of him....Pierluigi Collina.
  • Options

But that's not what SELR is suggesting. He's stating that foreign officials are de facto better.
    Nope, I'm saying get the best referees. 

" replacing them with better foreign officials." - not the same as replacing them with any foreign officials. We need to get the best refs regardless of where they are. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the VAR audio for the Akanji decision?

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/16bmpsd/nathan_akes_controversial_goal_ref_and_var_team/

Astonishingly incompetent.