Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Referees yet again are unable to apply their own rules to situations. 

We need to start looking at replacing them with better foreign officials. 
    Your first point is spot on, your second point should be a great troll, but I actually think you mean it.
    You don’t think there are any foreign refs better than the utter shite we’re stuck with.

I’m 100% in the ‘get foreign refs in’ camp.
    So the capability of football referees is influenced by their place of birth or nationality?

It’s a quite remarkable claim, on so many levels.

Absolutely not. Good and bad refs can come from anywhere, which is why it’s ridiculous we restrict ourselves to refs from only one country.  
    But that's not what SELR is suggesting. He's stating that foreign officials are de facto better.
    That’s not how I read it at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Do all you haters of VAR and obviously I accept there have been cocks up since it's introduction, accept that if we go back to the Ref and the Assistant refs there would be more mistakes as TV would still highlight their errors.

In real time there will be more mistakes because of the speed and movement and gamesmanship etc of no back up technology.

So if you don't want VAR accept that being a ref is a shit job where you can't win. On more occasions than not the Video assistant ref can get the on field ref out of a hole if the ref is unsighted because of 22 possible moving players who get in his eyeline.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Do all you haters of VAR and obviously I accept there have been cocks up since it's introduction, accept that if we go back to the Ref and the Assistant refs there would be more mistakes as TV would still highlight their errors.

In real time there will be more mistakes because of the speed and movement and gamesmanship etc of no back up technology.

So if you don't want VAR accept that being a ref is a shit job where you can't win. On more occasions than not the Video assistant ref can get the on field ref out of a hole if the ref is unsighted because of 22 possible moving players who get in his eyeline.
    I hate VAR and would go back to a ref and two linesmen making decisions based on what they see. The game was pretty good for well over a century based on this approach.

Ok fine BUT you must accept more mistakes will be made in Premier matches which the multi cameras of TV will highlight once the VAR and gang are made redundant.

No problem at the level we play at the fans will just keep giving the refs 3 on the score on the doors and call them useless !

I get it you don't like premature Joculation 🧐after a goal is scored and then ruled out but the problem is more to do with the daft rules on Handball now and the armpit offside.

The refs and ass refs will get even more stick without VAR as it's only the mistakes that get highlighted not the majority of correct decisions or decisions that are corrected once seen by Video technology.

Everyone agrees VAR screwed up with the Haaland offside goal including Haaland.
  • Options

I hate VAR and would go back to a ref and two linesmen making decisions based on what they see. The game was pretty good for well over a century based on this approach.

Ok fine BUT you must accept more mistakes will be made in Premier matches which the multi cameras of TV will highlight once the VAR and gang are made redundant.

No problem at the level we play at the fans will just keep giving the refs 3 on the score on the doors and call them useless !

I get it you don't like premature Joculation 🧐after a goal is scored and then ruled out but the problem is more to do with the daft rules on Handball now and the armpit offside.

The refs and ass refs will get even more stick without VAR as it's only the mistakes that get highlighted not the majority of correct decisions or decisions that are corrected once seen by Video technology.

Everyone agrees VAR screwed up with the Haaland offside goal including Haaland.
    I genuinely think I would accept more mistakes. I agree that refs would be under even more scrutiny because the TV channels would develop their own "offside armpit technology" to continuously challenge decisions as part of their match coverage.

However, I also recognise that we will never go back to "no VAR" because that horse has bolted...I just dread the day it makes its way down the divisions.
  • Options
    Should replay Spurs Vs Liverpool, clear error from VAR, and on pitch ref. What if you had a bet?
    Ref will be hung out to dry, while poor not entirely his fault, still a bad performance.
  • Options
    Posted in the Prem thread….

Re: Diaz goal. The lino flagged for offside in real time and they stuck with the onfield decision.

Is this not what the VAR naysayers have been asking for? :-)
  • Options
    Should replay Spurs Vs Liverpool, clear error from VAR, and on pitch ref. What if you had a bet?
    Ref will be hung out to dry, while poor not entirely his fault, still a bad performance.
    It won't be the ref, it'll rightly be the VAR officials who didn't properly check the Diaz goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loving it!
    It was Klopp and the like that pushed for it because human referees running around the pitch weren't up to making correct decisions to the nth degree. 
    So they far removed the game from its grass roots and got robots to police it instead and its even worse!
    Ha Ha bloody Ha!
  • Options
    Based on this season & especially tonight's Spurs match I think VAR should be scrapped. It just cant be relied upon. 

At first viewing I thought Diaz was offside but as soon as I saw the reply it was easy to see he was onside. 

If the above tweet is correct then Darren England is an idiot. How come he didnt immediately signal to the onfield ref that Diaz was onside. Not just shrug he shoulders & say "oh well". Which then makes me think that PGMOL are lying. No lines were seen & the (non) decision was very quick. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    If that is the case why couldn't the VAR guy have alerted the ref immediately on the restart of play when it was immediately clear that a free kick had been given for offside rather than the goal- it would have taken seconds to resolve and correct it - they are in constant communication with the ref no? Yes it would have made VAR look a bit bad in the short term, but to just Bury your head in the sand and refuse to immediately correct the error is so much worse

Supposedly, it's in the laws that once the decision is made and match is restarted, they can't go back and correct it. Seems a silly law to implement but I doubt they ever accounted for this level of incompetence.

Because the onfield decision was offside and the VAR "confirmed" it, the ball was already in position for the resulting free kick and they only a couple of seconds window by which time the bloke doing VAR wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough to pull it back.

Overall a 100% complete and utter shambles of communication.

• Options
    If that is correct then the guy should be sacked, utter incompetence.
  • Options
    If that is the case why couldn't the VAR guy have alerted the ref immediately on the restart of play when it was immediately clear that a free kick had been given for offside rather than the goal- it would have taken seconds to resolve and correct it - they are in constant communication with the ref no? Yes it would have made VAR look a bit bad in the short term, but to just Bury your head in the sand and refuse to immediately correct the error is so much worse

Supposedly, it's in the laws that once the decision is made and match is restarted, they can't go back and correct it. Seems a silly law to implement but I doubt they ever accounted for this level of incompetence.

Because the onfield decision was offside and the VAR "confirmed" it, the ball was already in position for the resulting free kick and they only a couple of seconds window by which time the bloke doing VAR wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough to pull it back.

One day that kind of decision will cost a club like us promotion.

That's why it is important to have this conversation now.
  • Options
    In fairness, they are a bit like posters on this forum. Some great ones who make insightful and balanced posts, and some who simply don't. 
  • Options
    I dont see why the pro VAR people dont get it. You cant have a system that is 100% perfect if you still have a matter of opinion involved. Offfside yes as you can draw lines, similar did the ball cross the line. These are matters of fact.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In fairness, they are a bit like posters on this forum. Some great ones who make insightful and balanced posts, and some who simply don't. 
    How can you actually use the words "in fairness" when you quote this tweet??

It was not fair or right was it? 

That shit could happen at a world cup final - you can try to shrug it off as meaningless in a league game but this is the system we are relying on apparently 
  • Options
    In future teams will need to try to delay kick off to ensure this cannot happen.

So if a goal is scored against your team you should not line up in position until the var has definitely done it's thing.

Disgusting and cowardly behaviour by the referees and all involved. Now they expect amateur refs to go out this morning and not be laughed at!

• Options

But it's not the system that's the problem ..... zzzzz
  • Options
    I did. I bet on a draw. 
  • Options
    Darren England is a league one ref .. we had him a few times and he been bloody awful how this bloke in charge of VAR .., Keith Stroud will get a chance soon 
  • Options

That shit could happen at a world cup final - you can try to shrug it off as meaningless in a league game but this is the system we are relying on apparently 
    In fairness, I think you may have missed my point entirely.
  • Options

Make your point clearer then. 
  • Options
    Still don't understand how this happened. What was he doing? Making a cup of tea, taking a dump, updating his tinder profile?

He can't have actually been watching the game because if he was he'd have instantly seen the camera pan to the linesman with his flag up. He'd have also seen Diaz not celebrating because he'd seen the flag raised.

Surely the officials also communicate via headsets and mics so it's unbelievable this could happen.
  • Options
    This cock up is entirely down to the officials. VAR has always been contentious but line decisions should never be wrong. 
  • Options

Make your point clearer then. 
    If you don’t get it, then I don’t think there is any point in trying to help you.