Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Sorry, don't buy that. Why would someone go to the trouble of hacking an account to just like a post on the chance a Charlton fan takes a look at Ben's likes?
  • Imo Garrymanilow said:
    Seems to have had his twitter account hacked

Earlier this afternoon his "Likes" included a Palace fan tweet asking "Who is laughing now" after we got relegated

Ben has since this evening tweeted saying someone from Newbury gained access to his account in the last hour and did it on his behalf

Just in case anyone saw the inital tweet and was ready to be pissed with him
    Don’t think I ever stopped laughing at Palace. I was kind of hoping they would make the Europa League as would have love to seen them get slapped across Europe after coming across legitimate ultras instead of teenagers.
    Couldn't agree more. The 'who's laughing now?' thing has always seemed stupid to me. Who's laughing? Me, still. Whenever I think of the fact that Charlton relegated Palace in the 82nd minute of the final game of the PL season off a goal from a youth academy centre half in a game that wouldn't affect Charlton's season in any way I laugh. Because it's hilarious. Sure, there's plenty for them to laugh at us about now, but I'm still chuckling about that day.
    Watching them get relegated next season with Zaha walking around with a strop with make me laugh Knowing their best ever player will get sold to all mighty conquering Everton for about 10million next season will make me laugh. 
  • Sorry, don't buy that. Why would someone go to the trouble of hacking an account to just like a post on the chance a Charlton fan takes a look at Ben's likes?
    If you follow someone on twitter then it should show up on your timeline saying that X person has liked a tweet

You shouldnt need to look on Ben's account 
    I agree. I suspect a mate got hold of his phone and did it as a joke. 
    this - will just be a mate of his pissing about I suspect
  • Imo Garrymanilow said:
    Seems to have had his twitter account hacked

Earlier this afternoon his "Likes" included a Palace fan tweet asking "Who is laughing now" after we got relegated

Ben has since this evening tweeted saying someone from Newbury gained access to his account in the last hour and did it on his behalf

Just in case anyone saw the inital tweet and was ready to be pissed with him
    Don’t think I ever stopped laughing at Palace. I was kind of hoping they would make the Europa League as would have love to seen them get slapped across Europe after coming across legitimate ultras instead of teenagers.
    Couldn't agree more. The 'who's laughing now?' thing has always seemed stupid to me. Who's laughing? Me, still. Whenever I think of the fact that Charlton relegated Palace in the 82nd minute of the final game of the PL season off a goal from a youth academy centre half in a game that wouldn't affect Charlton's season in any way I laugh. Because it's hilarious. Sure, there's plenty for them to laugh at us about now, but I'm still chuckling about that day.
    Watching them get relegated next season with Zaha walking around with a strop with make me laugh Knowing their best ever player will get sold to all mighty conquering Everton for about 10million next season will make me laugh. 
    Yeah that’ll get em
    anyone seen Lookman and his transfer fee improving our training ground ...
    pass me the A to Z we’re off to  Accrington 
  • Left out the squad for tactical reasons - Bowyer said Oshilaja could cover across the back four and he went for a more attacking bench with Smyth and Morgan available.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-explains-defenders-absence-on-boxing-day-and-claims-hull-wanted-to-move-this-weekends-fixture/
  • Scoham said:
    Left out the squad for tactical reasons - Bowyer said Oshilaja could cover across the back four and he went for a more attacking bench with Smyth and Morgan available.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-explains-defenders-absence-on-boxing-day-and-claims-hull-wanted-to-move-this-weekends-fixture/
    *Uses Smyth for 7 min*
  • Great tactic to leave out the left back, play the right back there and move the other left back into midfield!!

I have no issue with maatsen being moved into midfield but please then cover that position with someone that can play there!!

The more I hear bowyer speak, the more I’m convinced hi is losing the plot. Prove me wrong lee! 
  • It's a shame tougher or more tactical questions aren't asked in the interviews really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Criminally underrated at this level. He was a huge part of our strong defensive run towards the end of the season in 2019. Is he a Championship quality left back? No not really based on last year. But for me, he’s our first choice in that spot for the foreseeable future.
    He's young enough to continue to develop with the right coaching.
  • Hoping it will be the start of seeing Purrington get a proper run in the side. Had back to back solid performance against Franchise and Rochdale. Not surprised that we have been more solid with Deji and Purrington coming back into the side. 

We have some exciting player further up the pitch in Millar, Shinnie, Aneke, DJ. Having Purrington give us a 7/10 each week until the end of the season would give us some of the stability we need.

Still think Ian Maatsen has a role to play this season. Good option when needing some additional pace in midfield when we are holding on to a win.

• Criminally underrated at this level. He was a huge part of our strong defensive run towards the end of the season in 2019. Is he a Championship quality left back? No not really based on last year. But for me, he’s our first choice in that spot for the foreseeable future.
     I agree. He struggled at the start of the season, especially against pacy wingers.

After an explosive start, the jury's out for me for Maatsan.
    He really struggled the past few games. Lacked confidence going forward and gives away far too many needless fouls. Purrington is far better defensively. But that is down to experience.

• there's no drama - purrington should stay in for now and hopefully as we get better and better and the centre of defence becomes more solid, maatsen can come in and have a go as well but i'd definitely stick with puzza for now  
  • Sponsored links:

I think he suffered with confidence issues and not being good enough fir the championship, that lead to loss of form and he deserved to be taken out of the firing line.

maatsen has looked like he needs a little rest fir a few weeks now, hopefully purrington will take his chance and get back to 2019 levels.
  • Happy for Purrington to start- good enough at this level for me.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Where I think Purrington is underrated is going forwards. Clearly not as pacey as Maatsen, but his link up with Millar, and the way he made space for Millar today, were spot on full-back support. He has great positioning. Where Maatsen should perhaps play is against the paciest wingers, where Purrington  got a bit show up earlier in the season (principally in one game, for which he's been vilified)
    “Great positioning”.  Hmm. Don’t get me wrong, if he goes back to being steady and we stop shipping goals, I’ll be delighted, but let’s not make him out to be a good full back.  
  • Purrington is a good full back.  Against Doncaster in the semi-final he was one of our best players.  When we went on our losing streak he was one of many players struggling.  A full back not getting protection will often draw attention, plus Matthews played consistently well with similar issues.

Personally I think he is Championship quality, but loss of confidence can kill careers.  Reminds me a lot of Fox who people loved to blame everything on, but managed to deal with his doubts/confidence to be consistent in the champ.  To come back recently, and play so well when the manager's made it clear in selection he doubts you, is commendable.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Where I think Purrington is underrated is going forwards. Clearly not as pacey as Maatsen, but his link up with Millar, and the way he made space for Millar today, were spot on full-back support. He has great positioning. Where Maatsen should perhaps play is against the paciest wingers, where Purrington  got a bit show up earlier in the season (principally in one game, for which he's been vilified)
    “Great positioning”.  Hmm. Don’t get me wrong, if he goes back to being steady and we stop shipping goals, I’ll be delighted, but let’s not make him out to be a good full back.  
    He's decent at this level imo - I think he gets too much criticism.
    And people focus too much on his limitations, ignoring what he does well.

• Jonniesta said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Was talking about going forwards. He is consistently in the right place for stretching the defence, using the overlap. Think you're being harsh implying he's not a good full-back 
    All entitled to our opinions.  Personally, I think he’s slow, limited in possession ( although he gets into good positions) and very poor one on one, defensively.   I think he’s given a good ride by the fans because of his exceptional contribution in the final, which by the way is utterly understandable. I wouldn’t have signed him permanently after that. 

I like him as a guy and want him to do well; I just don’t think he’s very good .  As with any player, if he continues to play to his maximum and we keep winning, I shall be delighted m. 
  • Purrington is quite good getting forward, his crossing is reasonable and he has a nice knack of ghosting in at the far post. 5 goals in 73 matches is a great return considering that Solly has 3 in over 300!

The one thing which worries me is his lack of mobility means that he seems to take ages to get back into position. Often (especially when at the games) you can see him jogging back when the opposition are breaking quickly