Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Maatsen as a defender has really dropped in form of late. He's promising but learning on the job. I'd like to play Purrington and use Maatsen as a midfield sub where his pace and enthusiasm can be used. 

The areas where Maatsan frustrates, passing and crossing. How many times does he pass go the oppo in a dangerous area and also cross for a goal kick from a promising position.
  • I think if it wasn't for the fact he had a good start and is from Chelsea, Maatsen would have been dropped a while back. Purrington is what 23/24, really hope he does well in the future.
  • mendonca said:
    Maatsen as a defender has really dropped in form of late. He's promising but learning on the job. I'd like to play Purrington and use Maatsen as a midfield sub where his pace and enthusiasm can be used. 

The areas where Maatsan frustrates, passing and crossing. How many times does he pass go the oppo in a dangerous area and also cross for a goal kick from a promising position.
    Defending wise, I think Maatsen is fine, he's made a few bad choices of late, but is generally solid. The problems come when he tries to pass, shoot or cross. He's not good enough consistently in those areas.

He can tackle, he can dribble and he can bring the ball up pitch well. Just needs some time to polish up the crosses and short passing under pressure.
  • Rothko said:
    I know this is unfashionable, but I quiet like Purrington, he's defensively sound, can get forward, and puts in a shift. Not a flashy bombing on full back, but he's your constant 7.5/10 player who you build around
    Not as unfashionable as you may think (not that I know fashionable!) The "modern fullback" is expected to be an Ashley Cole or Andrew Robertson who are equally adept as ad-hoc wingers as well as defenders but at the level we find ourselves those are very rare. You have to prioritize between attacking potential (Maatsen) and defensive solidity (Purrington).

Given our recent defensive problems and Maatsen having an (understandable) drop in form, Purrington seems the logical choice for the foreseeable future.
  • Saw the stats with and without purrington and he clearly makes a difference. Think if Maatsen plays he should be a backup winger as imo he is a liability at the back. 
  • The best FB I've seen at Charlton is CP - didn't have great pace but read the game superbly. I wonder how he'd get on in the modern game,
  • The best FB I've seen at Charlton is CP - didn't have great pace but read the game superbly. I wonder how he'd get on in the modern game,
    He'd be just fine.

Powelly kept it simple, reading the game, working with his inside CB and the midfielder in front of him.

Partnerships ..... like a mini-team within the team.

• Sponsored links:

• Certainly wouldn’t mind Maatsen at left mid when we inevitably rest Millar, he’s good going forward and quick.
  • Certainly wouldn’t mind Maatsen at left mid when we inevitably rest Millar, he’s good going forward and quick.
    Less dangerous if he loses the ball further up the pitch too, but also can cover if Purr goes beyond him. 
  • Bollocks now we're agreeing with playing players out of position ;)
    He is also naturally left footed whereas our two wingers are not . JFC is our only lf option going forward which is why I suspect we went after Josh Morris 
  • Richard J said:
    Certainly wouldn’t mind Maatsen at left mid when we inevitably rest Millar, he’s good going forward and quick.
    He is also naturally left footed whereas our two wingers are not . JFC is our only lf option going forward which is why I suspect we went after Josh Morris 
    I do wonder if both Morris and Jaiyesimi were permanent targets, not either of but both. 
  • Really under rated IMO. He did have a mare when he got sent off but he seems more confident and so much fitter. 

Deserves to keep his starting place. 
  • hermann said:
    Had no idea Ben was only 24, for some reason thought he was pushing 30. 
    It's the way he brushes his hair.

He’d be more than fine because he was outstanding in possession and excellent positionally. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    I like Ben and he certainly gets more stick than is warranted, but I’d still play Maatsen 9 times out of 10.

A great game for Ben Purrington means he hasn’t given away any silly chances or been skinned by his winger. At his very best he’s a 7/10 player in League One. He may be a better partner for Liam Miller right now, as he allows Liam more freedom to stay forward and not have to worry about filling in for Maatsen. 

Maatsen at his best (albeit he blows hot and cold due to only being 18) is arguably the best full-back in the division on his day. He can be both solid defensively and be one of the most dangerous attackers on the pitch. Yes he’s been a bit poor in recent weeks but that’s almost certainly down to inexperience. I suspect before too long he will be back in the side and Ben will be a dependable back-up. 
    Depends on whether you prefer a solid reliable 7/10 or take the chance if getting either a 9 or a 3. For me (certainly with our centre back situation at the moment) I'd much rather have a left back who will defend well and stick to his guns.

The additions of the likes of Millar, Smith and DJ and Shinnie coming back make our need for attacking threat less pressing.

Maatsen probably will go on to better things, maybe even is the better player in terms of skill and technique already. But Purrington is better for the team right now.
  • thenewbie said:
    I like Ben and he certainly gets more stick than is warranted, but I’d still play Maatsen 9 times out of 10.

A great game for Ben Purrington means he hasn’t given away any silly chances or been skinned by his winger. At his very best he’s a 7/10 player in League One. He may be a better partner for Liam Miller right now, as he allows Liam more freedom to stay forward and not have to worry about filling in for Maatsen. 

Maatsen at his best (albeit he blows hot and cold due to only being 18) is arguably the best full-back in the division on his day. He can be both solid defensively and be one of the most dangerous attackers on the pitch. Yes he’s been a bit poor in recent weeks but that’s almost certainly down to inexperience. I suspect before too long he will be back in the side and Ben will be a dependable back-up. 
    Depends on whether you prefer a solid reliable 7/10 or take the chance if getting either a 9 or a 3. For me (certainly with our centre back situation at the moment) I'd much rather have a left back who will defend well and stick to his guns.

The additions of the likes of Millar, Smith and DJ and Shinnie coming back make our need for attacking threat less pressing.

Maatsen probably will go on to better things, maybe even is the better player in terms of skill and technique already. But Purrington is better for the team right now.
    I guess it’s a game of opinions but I don’t think you can say Maatsen is either a 9/10 or a 3/10 - he’s a pretty constant performer but he’s just dropped off a touch in the past month. 

I agree Purrington is better for the team right now considering our defence. Still, I suspect talent will prevail and Maatsen will be back in no time. 
  • I like Ben and he certainly gets more stick than is warranted, but I’d still play Maatsen 9 times out of 10.

Nope Maatsen runs into the same areas as Millar. Purrington a steady eddy stay at home type player who will allow Millar to get more forward. Plus he's not 5'3" and can defend aerially. 
  • Purrington is what we need now with our defensive frailties, only cos Maatsen has dipped off from his early season form .
    Purringtons shirt to keep .
    How’s he 24 he’s already in slow motion !
  • Maatsen hasn't been the same since Famewo got injured. I don't know if these guys struck up an understanding that made them both look better.

In a 4-4-2 Purrington has looked much better but when playing the diamond or using wingbacks then Maatsen might fit better.

Ben had an excellent game on Saturday, probably better than the 7/10 he's been tarred with. I hope we don't see too much tinkering in the next few games in which case that left back spot is his...or at least it should be.
  • thenewbie said:

Slight mythology that’s he’s always a 7 though, isn’t it ? He might have been in 2018/19 when we had other players to do all the attacking and 60% of the ball in most games.  He was very poor in the championship and not good at the start of this. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    thenewbie said:

Slight mythology that’s he’s always a 7 though, isn’t it ? He might have been in 2018/19 when we had other players to do all the attacking and 60% of the ball in most games.  He was very poor in the championship and not good at the start of this. 
    Yeah, that is a fair comment but in general terms I think the point is valid. Maatsen at his best is better, but when you actually average it out, Purrington is the more reliable in purely defensive terms.
  • He’s solid at this level without a doubt.
    he joined us and gave us stability when he left Rotherham on loan.
    Pulled to bits in the Championship.
    Sneaks in at the back post. 
  • thenewbie said:
    wmcf123 said:
    thenewbie said:

Yeah, that is a fair comment but in general terms I think the point is valid. Maatsen at his best is better, but when you actually average it out, Purrington is the more reliable in purely defensive terms.
    Maatsen is a kid, with good to very good potential, but he's probably played too much.  I would hope that if we seem to be financially ok in the summer that a new left back is high priority.  
  • Purrington is only 24, he will develop as time goes on under the right management.