Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Purrington is only 24, he will develop as time goes on under the right management. 
    You can only roll them in glitter .  He has no pace and can’t pass the ball 
  • generally unsung and underrated .. pleased he'll be around for  while longer
  • generally unsung and underrated .. pleased he'll be around for  while longer
    me too, one whole season left!
  • Going for a scan never results in good news for us 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Purrington is only 24, he will develop as time goes on under the right management. 
    You can only roll them in glitter .  He has no pace and can’t pass the ball 
    And yet if you look at our squad, one of the few in there who has actually been heavily involved in a successful League One promotion campaign. For us.
  • No coincidence that we were shipping goals in our promotion season and as soon as Purrington slotted in, the goals against dried up.

He's never going to be the dynamic, exciting wing back that modern football at the top level demands but he's more than capable at League One level.
    For now we need an alternative for when he’s injured (like now) or we want a quicker more attacking left back.

Get to the Championship and then consider if we can replace him with better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well we need a left back in the building now he's going to be missing a few weeks with a hamstring injury.
  • edited July 2021
    I can imagine the groans if Bowyer had said that Gunter is our back up left back 
  • wmcf123 said:
    I can imagine the groans if Bowyer had said that Gunter is our back up left back 
    True, but that's not what was said. What was said was the following:

- Adkins was happy with how Gunter played at LB against Palace. 
    - Adkins didn't feel he had to worry too much about going into the season without an experience second choice LB, as he has two RB's that can cover there. 
    - Adkins felt Roddy did ok there both Saturday and tonight, so together with the above two mentioned we have some cover. 

So yes, complain if we only have one recognised senior LB come early September, but not end of July. 
  • wmcf123 said:

- Adkins didn't feel he had to worry too much about going into the season without an experience second choice LB, as he has two RB's that can cover there. 
    - Adkins felt Roddy did ok there both Saturday and tonight, so together with the above two mentioned we have some cover. 

So yes, complain if we only have one recognised senior LB come early September, but not end of July. 
    A point well made by NA for the ears of those quoting inflated prices for left backs.
  • Ferryman said:
    wmcf123 said:

A point well made by NA for the ears of those quoting inflated prices for left backs.
    Possibly, although I didn't even make that assumption. I just heard that Adkins looked at his squad and felt although we needed a LB, we weren't at desperation stage, and I agree. Purrington's injury has no doubt changed things a little, but we can field a LB against Sheffield Wednesday who shouldn't be a liability. 
  • ColinTat said:
      Gutted for Ben.  Always feel he's a lot better than many think.  Same again last season as to his first 1/2 season, when he came in we were a much more stable backline.  His positioning was streets ahead of Maatsen, and his support to Millar didn't block the spaces Millar run into.  A bit worried that without Millar and Maatsen we miss ball carriers, but for me Maatsen negated that side of his game with poor positioning at fb.

He undoubtedly had a tough second half of the season in the champ, but I think he's a very good L1 fb.  Get fit soon Ben and good luck for the season.
    I personally think he gets an easy ride from the fans because of his goal at Wembley . He was fortunate that when he came back into the side that Adkins has his centre halves fit and he played with a hard working winger in front of him.  I am sure he tries very hard but to me he’s a lovely guy but I don’t think you carry him in an average side 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Back in training today according to NA but from the sounds of it, probably won't be 100% and ready to go for Saturday?
  • Back in training today according to NA but from the sounds of it, probably won't be 100% and ready to go for Saturday?
    I look forward to the reactions on here and social media when Gunter starts at left back and a new signing or two don't even make the squad :smile:
  • wmcf123 said:
    ColinTat said:
      Gutted for Ben.  Always feel he's a lot better than many think.  Same again last season as to his first 1/2 season, when he came in we were a much more stable backline.  His positioning was streets ahead of Maatsen, and his support to Millar didn't block the spaces Millar run into.  A bit worried that without Millar and Maatsen we miss ball carriers, but for me Maatsen negated that side of his game with poor positioning at fb.

He undoubtedly had a tough second half of the season in the champ, but I think he's a very good L1 fb.  Get fit soon Ben and good luck for the season.
    I personally think he gets an easy ride from the fans because of his goal at Wembley . He was fortunate that when he came back into the side that Adkins has his centre halves fit and he played with a hard working winger in front of him.  I am sure he tries very hard but to me he’s a lovely guy but I don’t think you carry him in an average side 
    Total nonsense. He doesn't get an easy ride at all, he gets far more grief than he should. People complain about him because he isn't a modern fullback, he doesn't offer a lot of pace or excitement, but he's a good defender, he gets up to support his winger with overlaps when he should and he works hard. As has already been said we massively improved defensively when he joined us and to be honest his goal at Wembley doesn't really come into my mind when I think about what he offers, it's his consistency and the fact he rarely offers up a bad performance, even if he also doesn't decide a game in your favour. I'd like us to upgrade on him but he's a good option to have at this level and he's been part of a promotion team before.
    I agree. Although he has some limitations, I was more comfortable with him at left-back than I was with Maatsen.
  • Back in training today according to NA but from the sounds of it, probably won't be 100% and ready to go for Saturday?
    Sounds like he and Gilbey should be back in contention next weekend.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Back in training today according to NA but from the sounds of it, probably won't be 100% and ready to go for Saturday?
    I agree re: Purrington but Gilbey I think might be longer if he missed pre-season.
  • edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I would have thought he’d need two to three weeks at the very least to get in reasonable enough shape to be on the team sheet.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Now, there is midfield cover, Gilbey doesn't need to be rushed though.

• Solid option at left-back, especially when you are playing the better sides and need to be tighter. When playing against the poorer sides you probably need a more expansive full back and Souare can offer that.

Happy with all our full back options now tbf.