Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Speaking for myself, I am quite happy with Ben getting the left back spot…..he’s never let us down as far as I know, not spectacular but a good honest pro by Div 1 standards.
    Agree totally, and although he's not as attacking minded as some LBs, he's still chipped in with a few goals.
  • Frustrating if he's still not fit for tomorrow, as the injury happened an eternity ago on the 24th July, that's 7 weeks ago.
  • Frustrating if he's still not fit for tomorrow, as the injury happened an eternity ago on the 24th July, that's 7 weeks ago.
    Depends on whether he's "normal" fit or match fit I guess. As in he might be able to train and do fitness exercises but isn't ready to play in/start league games yet.

It's happened before that players have Benn put back before being fully ready and ended up out for even longer. I'd imagine that Adkins (being an ex physio and having cover of needed) probably won't play him until he's completely ready.
  • thenewbie said:
    Frustrating if he's still not fit for tomorrow, as the injury happened an eternity ago on the 24th July, that's 7 weeks ago.
    Depends on whether he's "normal" fit or match fit I guess. As in he might be able to train and do fitness exercises but isn't ready to play in/start league games yet.

It's happened before that players have Benn put back before being fully ready and ended up out for even longer. I'd imagine that Adkins (being an ex physio and having cover of needed) probably won't play him until he's completely ready.
    If tomorrow was the play off final..... 
  • Without question at this level Ben is consistent and improving. Confidence is everything and he sure could end up with a good goal return and possibly player of the season. Really pleased for him as he seems a genuinely nice lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve never been a fan until now , he’s soooo much improved and his positional sense makes up for his lack of pace .
    Hes been brilliant recently and one of the first down on the team sheet for me currently .
  • The LWB role certainly suits him. Been really impressed with him since Jackson took over. 
  • Oh Ben Purrington, run down the wing for me.

JJ best be careful!
  • Got a lot of unfair stick on this forum. Always a steady Eddy now adding goals to his repertoire. Comes across well on CTV interviews and apparently a nice guy. 
  • edited November 2021
    Playing very well. Earns his goals because he's willing to gamble and get into the box and doesn't mind the extra yards he has to run. Always been a solid defender. Looks very confident going forward at the moment, a side of his game I've not seen before.

Has he ever come under massive criticism on this site? Not that I've seen. He's been one of the more popular players. Personally, based on the performances of the last two seasons, I think he was very average, but I was in the minority there. Some people liked that whole steady eddy thing. Nevertheless he's smashing it at the minute.
  • I’ve been critical of Ben in the past. Always struck me as quite limited despite being a good lad and a legend if nothing else for that goal..!  Got found out at championship level. However, the Humble pie has been egg washed and is baking away nicely in the aga (I know, I know…..). I’m limited to streaming these days, but from what I’ve seen and from what others who watch in the flesh have said, he seems to have really stepped up. I had high hopes for Soare as a dashing left wing back but Ben seems to have seen him off. Now a fixture in the side. Good luck to him. 
  • Been great since he’s come back in. Missed a few sitters too, he should have 4 goals to his name! I hope he keeps it up. 
  • Chunes nails it. Look at the difference between Purrington and Matthews now if both played in this position. Matthews has real limits and has decided his play stops on a certain print in the grass. 

Some Messi'esque skill comes out every now and again as it did V Doncaster squeezing between 2 players.

Get behind players, coach them and they can improve! Purrington has also put in some useful crosses. I think he could be quite a good set piece taker too going forwards. Some variety of right/left foot corners would be good. This will be moving him away from seeing the back of the net which could be counter productive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wing-back suits him considerably more than left-back imo
  • Not the safest left-back. But loves to get into the opposition penalty area. Not how most people would have seen him, it's true
  • It's funny isn't it. The wing backs are concentrating more while playing as wingers, rather than how they were defending either as defenders or wingers!
  • That said, Purrington doesn't operate like a classic wing-back either. He doesn't get the cross in very often. He sort of goes from being a wide defensive presence to being a support striker, with little in between
  • Leuth said:
    That said, Purrington doesn't operate like a classic wing-back either. He doesn't get the cross in very often. He sort of goes from being a wide defensive presence to being a support striker, with little in between
    Agreed, it's a most unusual role

DJ on the right is playing as a wing back, as he's up and down the touchline, getting in crosses. Purrington doesn't have the pace to charge up and down the flank, so instead seems to be alternating between defensive and attacking roles, and is as much there to be a goal scorer as he is to provide attacking width
  • That's what makes him danger - diagonal runs! It's no accident as look at who his manager is.
  • Leuth said:
    That said, Purrington doesn't operate like a classic wing-back either. He doesn't get the cross in very often. He sort of goes from being a wide defensive presence to being a support striker, with little in between
    It will be interesting to see how successful a tactic it is over the course of the season - will someone come up with a successful counter?
    It's an unusual set up to face. 
  • Think Purrington is quicker than he's being given credit for.