Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Okay, well if it is, how do we mount attacks down our left? Does a forward come wide and work the space with Lee (as has often happened)? That means one less player in the box
  • our weakest position, hopefully gets sorted this window...
  • Leuth said:
    Okay, well if it is, how do we mount attacks down our left? Does a forward come wide and work the space with Lee (as has often happened)? That means one less player in the box
    With an overlapping left sided centre back.
  • Redhenry said:
    our weakest position, hopefully gets sorted this window...
    Are you actually dissing Ben P, it’s not clear?
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Okay, well if it is, how do we mount attacks down our left? Does a forward come wide and work the space with Lee (as has often happened)? That means one less player in the box
    With an overlapping left sided centre back.
    Well, the incumbent can certainly run with the ball, if not deliver it accurately to anyone under any circumstances. (I've noticed that Famewo does sometimes 'come alive' down the left, but usually only towards the end of games if we're getting desperate)
  • You won't get promoted because Purrington is your LB/LWB, you won't not get promoted because Purrington is your LB/LWB either. 
  • edited January 2022
    Leuth said:
    Is Purrington's role sustainable for a promotion push next season? I'm not sure. 

He's defensively solid and gets into the box well (it feels a bit churlish to say 'the goals have dried up recently' about a wing-back, but scoring goals is definitely part of his job), but with the ball he is never going to beat his man and get crosses in, or attack the box at pace.

Definitely worth keeping around, not least as he covers LCB as well, but if 3-5-2 is the way forward, might we not want someone who scares defenders a bit more? Or, in League One, is what Purrington brings adequate? 

(Yes I know for comparison's sake DJ's crossing hasn't been ideal, but at least he gets lots of crosses away thanks to his excellent close control and burst of pace)
    I'd certainly like another option at LWB who offers something different to compete with him and to help us unlock teams that are just sitting back. But, its the lopsidedness of the system we play that his been its major strength and having 2 wing backs similar to DJ might not actually make us stronger.

Purrington is excellent in the current system and he is great at timing his runs into the box and appearing on the back post - hes an extra presence for the defenders to be aware of. he has also hit a number of decent crosses from deep.
  • Scored at Wembley. 
    Whole hearted decent player.
    yes he’s good enough 
  • edited January 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    It's the attacking wingback on one side, and the defensive wingback on the other that's a key part of Jacko's gameplan.

DJ on the right wing is principally an attacking winger, charged with certain defensive responsibilities. He's got the athletic and mobile Clare behind him to cover when he gets forward.

On the left side, Purrington is a solid and experienced left back playing further forward, and part of his remit is to drop back to be the additional defender to supplement the back 3 to make a back 4 when required.

He's also got license to get forward when safe to do so - and is showing the old Jacko trait of ghosting into the box unmarked with a late run.

What we are also seeing is Purrington's positional discipline and holding the team shape - plus his industry and timing as to when to get forward and when to get back. He's a vital part of the team's off-ball game, and often under-rated by many.

This feels like a post-hoc justification of what we've gone with so far this season rather than Jacko's ideal setup. You think he wouldn't snap your hand off if you offered someone who performs Purrington's defensive duties to a similar standard but also gets down the wing and threatens the box with ball at feet? You say it like Famewo ISN'T mobile, which he very much is.
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Scored at Wembley' is lovely and everything but it also doesn't mean your deficiencies can't be scrutinised. 

He may well be good enough for a promotion team. But scoring at Wembley has nothing to do with anything.
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    It's the attacking wingback on one side, and the defensive wingback on the other that's a key part of Jacko's gameplan.

DJ on the right wing is principally an attacking winger, charged with certain defensive responsibilities. He's got the athletic and mobile Clare behind him to cover when he gets forward.

On the left side, Purrington is a solid and experienced left back playing further forward, and part of his remit is to drop back to be the additional defender to supplement the back 3 to make a back 4 when required.

He's also got license to get forward when safe to do so - and is showing the old Jacko trait of ghosting into the box unmarked with a late run.

What we are also seeing is Purrington's positional discipline and holding the team shape - plus his industry and timing as to when to get forward and when to get back. He's a vital part of the team's off-ball game, and often under-rated by many.

This feels like a post-hoc justification of what we've gone with so far this season rather than Jacko's ideal setup. You think he wouldn't snap your hand off if you offered someone who performs Purrington's defensive duties to a similar standard but also gets down the wing and threatens the box with ball at feet? You say it like Famewo ISN'T mobile, which he very much is.
    I don't know about "a post-hoc justification", as it's more or less how Jacko himself has described it.

Jacko plays with one defensive wing back and Purrington has performed the role very well.

Jacko knows Purrington's limitations and capabilities.
    He knows also that Ben is dependable in the role given.

We're in League One and Purrington is what we have.
    If Jacko wants to change it, he has to go shopping. There other more urgent priorities.

I never mentioned Famewo, did I?
    In any case, Famewo is not there to play Purrington's role. He's got his own job to do.

• Leuth said:
    No, we don’t because he doesn’t get forward well enough, or at least not to join in the attacks - he’s gets into good positions in the box.  I’d imagine that’s a position that JJ is looking to strengthen . 
  • I wonder what we will do about his contract? 

He's slipped to 3rd choice atm and maybe 4th soon!
  • I think we need the option of a more defensive player on each side. Would be interesting to see how we get on with two attacking wing backs though. He’s also an option as a left sided CB in a bank three.

Got to be a squad player fighting for his place if he stays, so if he does I hope it’s a 1 or 2 year deal and nothing more than that.
  • Scoham said:
    I think we need the option of a more defensive player on each side. Would be interesting to see how we get on with two attacking wing backs though. He’s also an option as a left sided CB in a bank three.

Got to be a squad player fighting for his place if he stays, so if he does I hope it’s a 1 or 2 year deal and nothing more than that.
    When we know he’s not good enough for the championship, why would we keep him on ? Especially  when he’s probably 4th choice 
  • Probably because we are unlikely to have a better 4th choice player in 2 positions. 

I thought he was playing ok before being dropped funnily enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Play off legend but I could have been carried in that team with the quality that was in it .
    He doesn’t look out of place in our worst ever side .
    move him on or back up that won’t be needed at best .
  • I like Purrington. Been a good player for us. And I think his solid history makes some difference. You earn credits for when your form drops.

He did not look out of place in a far superior (promoted) team to this one.

There are at least 15 other players in our squad whose place needs reviewing before we get to him. 
    He was the difference that day. His late attacking runs always caused problems, we've lost that ability with him in the 3 or the 5. In the 3 because it leaves us so exposed and the 5 because it's expected.

Does his best in a 4 man defence.
  • edited March 2022
    100% a confidence player. When things are going well he looks a good player. Not the type of player you need when in a bad run. Fully expecting him to get a new deal, purely because we are probably going to release almost 6 other defenders go and don’t see us signing 15+ players in the summer
  • Play off legend but I could have been carried in that team with the quality that was in it.
    He doesn’t look out of place in our worst ever side.
    move him on or back up that won’t be needed at best.
    Purrington carried? He got the equaliser to get us back into that game. 
  • He should have been the back-up LB this season in a 433 but we didn't address the position properly. Now he's a bit stuck in the WB role but we have so much to do and I think people sometimes don't realise how much harder and more expensive it is to replace rather than renew players. We need a proper LWB next season but it'll do to keep him around as back up while we focus on plugging the more significant gaps
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Play off legend but I could have been carried in that team with the quality that was in it.
    He doesn’t look out of place in our worst ever side.
    move him on or back up that won’t be needed at best.
    Purrington carried? He got the equaliser to get us back into that game. 
    “Play off legend “
    that team was so good I could have been carried in it , as in there was room for your Josh Parkers and Purringtons to be along for the ride .
    He is not good enough to be a starter for us , slow motion and lead boots are not what I’d want in a full back/wing back
  • He should have been the back-up LB this season in a 433 but we didn't address the position properly. Now he's a bit stuck in the WB role but we have so much to do and I think people sometimes don't realise how much harder and more expensive it is to replace rather than renew players. We need a proper LWB next season but it'll do to keep him around as back up while we focus on plugging the more significant gaps
    Strongly disagree. He isn't a LWB so he shouldn't be a backup LWB.