Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
    Again I'm not sure winning a playoff final is being part of a team "letting us down". He's also been used as a left winger and as a left sided centre back recently and done ok in both roles. He's not a world beater but he's a solid full back in League 1
  • Options
    Likeable fella. Scored our winner at Wembley.  Grafter who gives his all.  I like him.

Would love us to find better and for a first team starter I would hope/expect us to do so.  As a squad back up I would not mind keeping him but equally would not be too bothered if we didn't if we are to persist with JJ formation next season.
    Sums up my feeling really. If we release him, I'll nod and agree. If we offered him a 1 or 2 year contract, I'd probably nod and agree as well
  • Options
    Purrington is also one of many players who got worse after our switch to 3.5.2. 

• Options
    I like Purrington. A solid league 1 player. If our team improves he’ll be a utility sub at best but that’s about it. As it is now he’s one of our more reliable players. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I like Purrington. Been a good player for us. And I think his solid history makes some difference. You earn credits for when your form drops.

He did not look out of place in a far superior (promoted) team to this one.

There are at least 15 other players in our squad whose place needs reviewing before we get to him. 
    He was the difference that day. His late attacking runs always caused problems, we've lost that ability with him in the 3 or the 5. In the 3 because it leaves us so exposed and the 5 because it's expected.

Does his best in a 4 man defence.
    Don't think i've ever seen an attacking run from Purrington....
    Such a bad take, at one point earlier this season, he scored a couple of goals in quick succession, both from him making an ATTACKING run and scoring at the back post whilst playing as a wing back. Get your head out your ass sometimes, all I ever see from you on Ben is negatively, makes me wonder if he shat in your kitbag or something 
    How can u not be negative, watching this shite week in week out
  • Options
    Imagine Purrington will probably get another chance to start today at LCB. Be interesting to see how he performs as I think he’s only players whose playing for his Charlton future (Most of the other decisions are quiet obvious IMO)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    Happy Birthday to our average left back at our average (in footballing terms) Club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Always makes me laugh seeing Lee Bowyer smart in his suit with his hair neatly combed. Puts me in mind of a schoolboy at a wedding.
    First time he had to wear a suit that didn't involve standing before a magistrate 
  • Options
    Very easy to lump all in together in a shite team.
    IMO Purrington has always been an effective, efficient and steady defender.
    But last season we saw a different aspect to his game. 
    He's a real threat inside the opposition box. Strong in the air, and has a knack of getting into great goalscoring positions.
    Very pleased we've retained him, and he could be a big player in a good team.
    but we havnt retained him really, offered new deal, not accepted yet.
  • Options
    If he goes, we'll need at least two incoming FB's, unless we're to persist using wingers to play out of their favoured positions. He's steady, can deputize as a CB, and poses a goal threat. I'd like him to stay, but think he may decide it's time to move on if someone comes in for him..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Do they have VAR in the play off finals now? I reckon Taylor might have been a boot offside watching that again. 
  • Options
    No, he’s not
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Valley11 said:
    ross1 said:
    Do they have VAR in the play off finals now? I reckon Taylor might have been a boot offside watching that again. 
    No but if they did our winner would have been ruled out due to a foul by Pearce on I think O'Nien? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    ross1 said:
    No but if they did our winner would have been ruled out due to a foul by Pearce on I think O'Nien? 
    Not under rules of clear and obvious error it wouldn’t have. Definitely one for decision made by ref on the day.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Can understand the decision, good servant to the club, I’m sure he’ll get another L1 club
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    /
  • Options
    Interesting wording from Cawley

Ben Purrington is on the hunt for a new club this summer after being told he will not be offered a new contract by Charlton Athletic.

I thought that he was one we were talking about a new Contract with, especially when the list announcing who had been released was put out by the club last month.
  • Options
    Just reading the last page or 2 of this thread where Purrington was playing LCB and it sent a shiver down my spine. Next season can only get better for us.