Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
    swordfish said:
    I don't mind BP departing, as long as it's a decision Garner was involved with
    Agreed, but no reason to suspect he wasn't. A case of having waited to see what the new man thinks before reaching a decision.

Good luck Ben - you served us well.
    Or our hand has been forced and he has signed for someone else and will be announced at 5pm....
  • Options
    Thanks Ben always appreciated your efforts good luck in the future.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    I don't mind BP departing, as long as it's a decision Garner was involved with
    Agreed, but no reason to suspect he wasn't. A case of having waited to see what the new man thinks before reaching a decision.

Good luck Ben - you served us well.
    Or our hand has been forced and he has signed for someone else and will be announced at 5pm....
    I hadn't thought of that. What time is it?
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Scoham said:
    So we now need four first team full backs, unless anyone in the academy is ready to step up.
    Bower looks good but probably too early.
    At centre back I reckon one of Bakrin and Ness will be around the first team squad. Ness is 22 and Bakrin looks as good as Elerewe.

Ness is 20, none of the mentioned CBS will count toward the squad cap. For that reason I think we’ll be a bit short in numbers at the back with youngsters providing the cover. 
  • Options
    Thanks Ben, and good luck in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A decent L1 player and a really decent fella.  Good luck Ben.
  • Options
    Will be giving him a good reception when he comes back, thanks for the efforts. Whether it's the right decision depends entirely on if we get a better replacement!! 
  • Options
    Dependable league one player.

Wish him all the best.
  • Options
    2 good pros who I would have kept gone - however replacements look good 
  • Options
    Hmmm, think he is a decent and solid left back. 

That's 2 out the door that I would have kept in terms of Purington and Washington.  Will only make sense if both are replaced with better players.  

Need to sign a few full backs now. 

• Options
    Good luck Ben.
    As with other released players, it'd a good decision if we get in better players.
    "If" being the key point.
  • Options
    Will always be fondly remembered for that Wembley goal. Good luck Ben wherever you end up playing next 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m probably in the minority but I never thought Ben was more than bang average league 1. Ponderous going forward even though he did develop a habit of scoring the odd goal (including THAT goal!). So if we are to get a serious upgrade or two I’m happy to see him leave. He does so with my very best wishes and thanks. Unlike some, he could never be faulted for effort and seems like a decent guy. Now then, those upgrades……….flying pig emoji.  
  • Options
    Thanks Ben, for the memories! And all the best
  • Options
    Good luck Ben.
    As with other released players, it'd a good decision if we get in better players.
    "If" being the key point.
    Well yes, that's why he said if in the first place.
  • Options
    Good luck Ben. A very solid free transfer available for someone to snap up. He's younger than I realized too so still some potential to fulfill, I would suggest.

Hopefully we sign a player to replace him who is a bit more than a steady-eddy, but I think steady-eddies are also a but undervalued by some. I think it's far from guaranteed we will upgrade him.
  • Options
    A good move for the club.  Undeniably a good servant, honest pro and a sound guy.  Thanks, Ben.  
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    So we now need four first team full backs, unless anyone in the academy is ready to step up.
    I think we will get three and use Roddy.

Can we please have the flag button back. 😤

• Options
    Best wishes Ben.
    I hope your future is very enjoyable and injury free.
    Thank you, we will always have Wembley.
  • Options
    Seemed a good bloke and honest player. Felt like he always tried his best and was proud to pull on the shirt. Wish him the absolute best.

Is he the best LB in the league? No. Is he one of the most reliable? Probably. Should we be able to do better? I hope so.

Feels a bit similar to Washington in a way - we, as fans, appreciate him but think we should be able to do better, and expect better, but if we can't sign better in the window... we're in trouble.
  • Options
    Thanks for the efforts Ben, a good solid pro

As a player he's a reasonable defender, and a decent threat in attack, but wasn't mobile enough to do both. He could be dangerous in the opposition box, but if the attack broke down he'd be the last player back in his own box defending again. Similarly, he couldn't fly down the wing to provide attacking width in the way modern full backs do these days.