Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    I never rated Ben but wish him all the best. He was very solid but I think modern left backs need to go both ways, otherwise you might as well stick a CB at LB. They should at least be able to take on their man and cross the ball and Ben couldn't do either. 

I'm happy we're having a clear out. There has been a lack of grit in the dressing room (see our record on coming back from being a goal down), not saying Ben is part of that, but a big change in culture is needed. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Mr Purrington is grateful and proud for the name.
    Go well Ben.
    You are loved 😽
    That is one giant cat!!
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Go well Ben.
    You are loved 😽
    That's a proper shed, Littlesis! 

As you'll probably know, I suffer from  'shed envy'.  :smile:

• Options
    Good luck to him, many have called him solid and unspectacular, which sounds like damning with faint praise, but the solid bit made him one of our better performers in recent times. Certainly, Adkins ignoring him contributed to his downfall. As always, players come and go and the trick is to replace them with someone better, now is the time for a few people to stop bullshitting and start delivering.
  • Options
    Personally think it's a shame he's leaving, I actually thought he did OK. 

The litmus test is will be who he is replaced with of course.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Scoham said:
    So we now need four first team full backs, unless anyone in the academy is ready to step up.
    I wonder if we will go into the first game of the season without a left back like we did last season. 

A major rebuild is needed more than ever before. I wonder how that's going seeing as pre-season starts next week & in a little over 10 days the squad go away to Spain

Tick tock. 
    I think BG has said there's a good core group, as did Jacko, so no big rebuild on the cards. 3-5 permanents and similar in loans, those signed late on, is all I'm expecting.
    We need about 6 players just in defence 
    I agree it's the area that needs strengthening the most, but we need a first choice striker and back up too and I'm straying off thread.
    Not sure we need 2 strikers unless we lose Stockley 
    So you think we can rely on stockley chuks who cant handle many games on the spin or is injured then davison who is league 2 standard
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Scoham said:
    So we now need four first team full backs, unless anyone in the academy is ready to step up.
    I wonder if we will go into the first game of the season without a left back like we did last season. 

A major rebuild is needed more than ever before. I wonder how that's going seeing as pre-season starts next week & in a little over 10 days the squad go away to Spain

Tick tock. 
    I think BG has said there's a good core group, as did Jacko, so no big rebuild on the cards. 3-5 permanents and similar in loans, those signed late on, is all I'm expecting.
    I agree it's the area that needs strengthening the most, but we need a first choice striker and back up too and I'm straying off thread.
    So you think we can rely on stockley chuks who cant handle many games on the spin or is injured then davison who is league 2 standard
    No, I never mentioned Davison did I. I’d offload him and swap for a main striker who can compete with Stockley. Chuks as the third choice. If he doesn’t have to start much, then we’ve got a good chance of having him available for most matches. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Go well Ben.
    You are loved 😽
    With Louis Mendez having a cat called Solly, and your beautiful Mr Purrington, I wonder how many other cats are named after Charlton defenders?

Tabby Sarr  ;)
    Not named after any Charlton player, but this guy's only just forgiven me for Wembley 2019.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Scoham said:

Tick tock. 
    No, I never mentioned Davison did I. I’d offload him and swap for a main striker who can compete with Stockley. Chuks as the third choice. If he doesn’t have to start much, then we’ve got a good chance of having him available for most matches. 
    Fair enough i still think we need a washington replacement then get rid of davison for better and that would do nicely 
  • Options
    went on to play a total of 115 appearances for Charlton, scoring twice.

Felt like he scored more than that 🤷‍♂️

Good luck in the future but as with 95% of this squad not fussed about any of them leaving 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Scoham said:

Tick tock. 
    Fair enough i still think we need a washington replacement then get rid of davison for better and that would do nicely 
    I think it depends on the formation. If we’re playing 433 then I’m not sure a Washington replacement works, we need a genuine 433 striker (although they’ll need some Washington traits). If we’re going 2 up top then we definitely need 2 strikers to go with Stockley and Washington. I wouldn’t keep Davison either way so agree on that. 
  • Options
    It's a shame to see him go, he's a solid 6 out of 10 player and would be decent backup. Then again he may have turned down the deal on the table to try his luck elsewhere.

southnorwoodaddick.com/2022/06/14/one-ben-in-two-bens-out/
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Scoham said:

Tick tock. 
    I beg to differ, but as a pp said, I dont want to stray off topic.

FWIW I thought Purrington was a decent defender. He was given the moniker of a 7 out of 10 man and when it all boils down that was what he was. Nothing special but a steady Eddie. 

Oh, and joint  3rd top goalscorer I believe. 3 goals.. ...🤔
  • Options
    He will be missed..A perfectly decent player under Bowyer.. Unused by Adko and possibility poorly utilised by JJ. At 25 he has loads of development and games yet to play. I think we will feel his absence greater than we have done for Washington. Good luck Ben 
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Go well Ben.
    You are loved 😽
    With Louis Mendez having a cat called Solly, and your beautiful Mr Purrington, I wonder how many other cats are named after Charlton defenders?

Tabby Sarr  ;)
    No.10 Downing Street had Humphrey the cat....
  • Options
    Bit surprised by this Ben is a steady full back,rarely gets taken to the cleaners,gets his share of goals,and can also in emergencies cover CB.I can only assume we have others lined up who are better,but as a previous poster said,we now have no senior full backs at the club,unless Clare is going to play there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solid left back, am slightly surprised he’s on his way. 
    Have to assume that they have a replacement in the pipeline. 
    At least there’s one less Ben I suppose. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Solid left back, am slightly surprised he’s on his way. 
    Have to assume that they have a replacement in the pipeline. 
    At least there’s one less Ben I suppose. 
    One less Ben? Don't forget we lost Watson too and that DoF at Swindon, Chorley isn't coming.

Leaves us perilously short in that department. We need reinforcements there for sure and it's a black box essential requirement imo.
  • Options
    Mr Purrington is one of our barn cats so lives in with goats in their palatial shed.
    He’s a Kolcat, originally from Thailand, ended up living his best life in West Cork.

@Oggy Red that shed is a beaut 😍
  • Options
    Sad to see him leave as I think he is more than good enough for this level. Hopefully we have better coming in.

There's a rumour that's he's on his way to Ipswich.

Hope so
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Go well Ben.
    You are loved 😽

Tabby Sarr  ;)
    Eddie Miaowds

I’ll get my coat
  • Options
    Mr Purrington could be a long lost relation of the eccentric cat we owned in from 76.

This is the unimaginatively named Misty.  She constantly chatted in her half Siamese wail, if she made it onto the back fence she would alight by holding on by her front paws and drop down on to her back feet.  Birds somehow sensed she was a pretty useless cat and would land in our garden while she was messing about there.

She was a funny old thing, part Siamese, part Moggy and part Human.   

Mmmmm…..if she was big enough and hungry enough and if push came to shove you’d pretty soon be lunch…….like it or not and as uncomfortable as it may be to hear, that’s unfortunately an unquestionable fact.
    Cats have no loyalty whatsoever and treat humans as a necessary inconvenience in their quest to having as privileged and comfortable lifestyle as possible……we are simply tolerated at best.
  • Options
    Shame to see Ben go - decent enough at this level.
  • Options
    Annoyingly if you want a decent LB, playing LB not LWB, Ben was ideal at this level. We had better have better targets. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Annoyingly if you want a decent LB, playing LB not LWB, Ben was ideal at this level. We had better have better targets. 
    How can someone of his lack of passing ability be "ideal"?  Why when it comes to left backs do people feel that you have to settle for someone that can kick with their left foot and just block it?  Lovely guy, loyal servant but time to move on. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Similar with Washington's departure. A player who seems most suited to the proposed high press. 

Expect us to get an equal or better Washington type in otherwise cannot see how or why we let him go.