Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Annoyingly if you want a decent LB, playing LB not LWB, Ben was ideal at this level. We had better have better targets. 
    Honestly I think Ben would be useless in a possession team. He can't play progressive passes (the stats shared earlier summed that up), he can't receive it in tight spaces, he is someone who doesn't like to receive the ball at all in those areas. He can't give and go, or dribble his way out of pressure. He can't even cross the ball. He's just a solid defender and in a team like that he'd be at risk of becoming the weakest link.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Annoyingly if you want a decent LB, playing LB not LWB, Ben was ideal at this level. We had better have better targets. 
    Honestly I think Ben would be useless in a possession team. He can't play progressive passes (the stats shared earlier summed that up), he can't receive it in tight spaces, he is someone who doesn't like to receive the ball at all in those areas. He can't give and go, or dribble his way out of pressure. He can't even cross the ball. He's just a solid defender and in a team like that he'd be at risk of becoming the weakest link.
    Chunes you articulate perfectly my thinking on Ben, plus when defending against his winger he would position himself too far away so winger always got a cross over.
    Dependable and apparently a good lad, his leaving statement showed he cared about Charlton.
    Good luck for the future Ben. 
  • Options
    Exeter and Shefield W in for Ben
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Exeter and Shefield W in for Ben
    Well, if he wants to follow Dale Stevens & stay in the South he'll be signing for Sheff Wed. 
  • Options
    This bit below has caused some anger on Twitter, considered a “red flag” by some.

“I was called in originally [when Jackson was still in charge] and told they had made a joint decision there would be a contract for me,” said Purrington. “I thought it would be pretty straightforward to get it done, but then I didn’t hear anything for a few weeks.

“I tried to chase things up and didn’t hear anything, I couldn’t get hold of anyone – that’s sort of when you get a hint! Then they explained about the new manager coming in and they didn’t know who it was yet, which is totally understandable [for the delay]. I got the call finally from Steve Gallen basically saying there was nothing there for me anymore.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Scoham said:
    This bit below has caused some anger on Twitter, considered a “red flag” by some.

“I was called in originally [when Jackson was still in charge] and told they had made a joint decision there would be a contract for me,” said Purrington. “I thought it would be pretty straightforward to get it done, but then I didn’t hear anything for a few weeks.

“I tried to chase things up and didn’t hear anything, I couldn’t get hold of anyone – that’s sort of when you get a hint! Then they explained about the new manager coming in and they didn’t know who it was yet, which is totally understandable [for the delay]. I got the call finally from Steve Gallen basically saying there was nothing there for me anymore.

One manager likes a player , the next doesn’t .  It’s fairly standard , I’d have thought, especially with BP’s limitations 
    Agree on that part, the point made on Twitter was that it's not "Charlton" to leave BP waiting and not answer his calls. Was compared to sacking JJ by phone.
    Yes, I agree with that. 
  • Options
    Good interview. And yes the treatment of Ben wasn't brilliant, even if it was ultimately the correct decision for Garner's style of football 
  • Options
    Very poor form. Purrington would have understood that a new manager was incoming and had to be part of the decision. Wouldn’t have hurt to get in touch and have that conversation. 
  • Options
    I am in agreement with letting Purrington go but if this was dealt with as he says he deserved a whole lot better. I’m not getting a good feeling about how our club does it’s off the field business at the moment. Shoddy at best, downright disrespectful at worst.  Let’s hope for a vast improvement. 
  • Options
    Bee Zaar!
  • Options
    Football is a funny  old game :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    For those of you who haven’t looked it up, Ross looks to be roughly the same distance to Norway as London, it looks a very small place.
    It’s not that much further to Iceland! ☃️🥶
    I assume that is where Ross County are located?

UPDATE….They are actually located in the small market town of Dingwall (just north of Inverness) and have a capacity of around 6,000.
    The towns population is a little over 7,000…..blimey talk about a change of lifestyle.
  • Options
    Ben Purrington should never has bought a Dale Stephen's Satnav.
  • Options
    About his level .  
  • Options
    Really like Ben, wish him all the best.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    About his level .  
    He'll be playing at a higher level than if he'd stayed with us 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Which is cases like this that make me mad why Taylor was battered.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Which is cases like this that make me mad why Taylor was battered.
    Been done a million times but it's apples and oranges.

The equivalent of Taylor would have been us stopping paying Purrington a few games early.as we knew we were releasing him.
  • Options
    he'll be playing at a decent standard and might show what we have chucked away for nothing .. good fortune and keep warm Ben