Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New 007 to be a woman

Comments

• Options
    Been going slowly but surely down hill since Sean Connery left the role.
    He has only ever been the one TRUE Bond character since the screen creation that he portrayed going way back in 1962....one or two worthy efforts along the way (Roger Moore most notably), but none ever really got close to Connery’s portrayal.
    And for those of us who remember those times, he was for years actually better known as James Bond rather than his stage name of Sean Connery.
    Incidentally.......his name is actually Thomas Sean Connery.
  • Options
    We're gonna need to call in the arbiter on sexism, racism etc. in modern Britain....... @Chizz !!!

😉
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    007 can be anyone, you can’t however make James Bond a woman so even if they start making films where 007 is female/black/Chinese/native American they won’t be Bond films 
    James Bond as a character is defined by a bunch of things. 

- Sex addiction
    - Alcoholism
    - Arrogance
    - Fighting ability
    - Shooting ability

He’s also quintessentially English, and yet he's been played by a Scot, an Irishman and an Australian. 

I realise this this thread is more about passive aggressive irony, but there are two points I’d like to make - firstly, judging a film’s plot point before you’ve seen the film is ridiculous, and secondly, saying Bond can’t be black is nonsense. By that token, you’re implying that you’re more worthy of the role than Idris Elba, because you are white. 

You’re suave enough? Good looking enough? Ripped enough? You’d be able to tick off that list above? Or Elba can’t purley because of the colour of his skin?

How anyone can make that claim and not consider themselves a teensy bit racist bemuses me. 
    He's the son of a Scottish bloke and a Swiss woman.
    In the books, sure. But as far as I know that’s never mentioned in the films. In Skyfall they go to his house, so that might be a reference to his Scottish ancestry.

At least you’re picking up on the important thrust of the post!  
  • Options
    I’d also say that you could never have Marcus Burnett or Mike Lowrey played by white actors.

im not questioning anybody’s ability to act or join the secret service so think your little accusation of racism is a bit random 
  • Options
    I’d also say that you could never have Marcus Burnett or Mike Lowrey played by white actors.

im not questioning anybody’s ability to act or join the secret service so think your little accusation of racism is a bit random 
    That’s an utterly non-sensical comparison. Bad Boys is a three film franchise where the lead actors have never changed. 

You're saying a black man can’t fulfil the criteria for playing Bond because of the colour of his skin. I don’t know what else to call it. 
  • Options
    Jodie Comer for me....if 'we' are going to have a female 007.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    007 can be anyone, you can’t however make James Bond a woman so even if they start making films where 007 is female/black/Chinese/native American they won’t be Bond films 
    James Bond as a character is defined by a bunch of things. 

- Sex addiction
    - Alcoholism
    - Arrogance
    - Fighting ability
    - Shooting ability

He’s also quintessentially English, and yet he's been played by a Scot, an Irishman and an Australian. 

I realise this this thread is more about passive aggressive irony, but there are two points I’d like to make - firstly, judging a film’s plot point before you’ve seen the film is ridiculous, and secondly, saying Bond can’t be black is nonsense. By that token, you’re implying that you’re more worthy of the role than Idris Elba, because you are white. 

You’re suave enough? Good looking enough? Ripped enough? You’d be able to tick off that list above? Or Elba can’t purley because of the colour of his skin?

How anyone can make that claim and not consider themselves a teensy bit racist bemuses me. 
    He's the son of a Scottish bloke and a Swiss woman.
    In the books, sure. But as far as I know that’s never mentioned in the films. In Skyfall they go to his house, so that might be a reference to his Scottish ancestry.

At least you’re picking up on the important thrust of the post!  
    Well the rest of your post was spot on, and I wouldn't be doing the internet properly if I didn't nitpick on the details.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A scouser playing Bond. Now you've taken it too far.
  • Options
    Bond lit up his seventieth cigarette of the day.

007 applied her lip gloss for the fortieth time.
  • Options
    Can't stand changing famous charactors that have been the same for years. Thought Benedict Cumonmeback and Freeman ruined Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. Much prefere the older ones Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce or Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick. I just thought BC made the charactors far too eccentric and Freeman, well, should've called it a day after The Office imo.

If it ain't broke don't fix it
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The next Bond should be played by Gok Wan.
    Or Julian Clarey
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I think it's such an amazing decision to make this move now. Everyone in the selection process should be lauded for their undeniable courage and bravery in appointing what will be seen as a controversial decision in this age of middle aged toxic white masculinity.

Anyone speaking against this truly inspirational casting should hang their non-progressive heads in absolute shame.

All those in support should be rightfully commended for doing so and for being such wonderful human beings. Such amazing people.

I can only assume/hope you are being satirical

Edit: you are, just read the rest of the thread
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    The next Bond should be played by Gok Wan.
    Or Julian Clarey
    I suggested Gok because there are so few Oriental faces on mainstream media.
  • Options
    Its typical of the writing of Pheobe Waller-Bridge if you ask me.  Anyone that has seen her BBC3 comedy Fleabag will agree that she likes to push the boundaries.

I'm not one for D & I check box-ticking exercises but I'm looking forward to the next installment of Bond.
    I think Elba would make a good Bond. Loved him in Luther.
    Agree with this 100%.  He would be awesome.
  • Options
    Weapon of choice -

• Options
    A scouser playing Bond. Now you've taken it too far.
    She is pretty good with accents posh home counties accent wouldn't be a problem for that young lady.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a serious note if a black woman were ever to play 007 I would protest with my EDL chums and start attacking journalists except for Tommy.

People of CL we need to stand together on this!

#keepbondwhiteandaman

I'm not sure you got the memo. White is bad.

It sounds like you need to go and unlearn some of your misguided views. Only then will you truly understand and begin to empathise with those who are suffering and dying as a result of your outpourings.

It's about time us middle aged white blokes told the world about our centuries of suffering and oppression. It's been covered up for far too long.

How many middle aged white men do you see in positions of power? Virtually none.

We need to save our country and culture before its too late. Like a lot of people on here I'm angry about white oppression.

• Options
    I hope Trump speaks out on this - most of our cowardly spineless politicians have said nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    On a serious note if a black woman were ever to play 007 I would protest with my EDL chums and start attacking journalists except for Tommy.

#keepbondwhiteandaman

It sounds like you need to go and unlearn some of your misguided views. Only then will you truly understand and begin to empathise with those who are suffering and dying as a result of your outpourings.

It's about time us middle aged white blokes told the world about our centuries of suffering and oppression. It's been covered up for far too long.

How many middle aged white men do you see in positions of power? Virtually none.

We need to save our country and culture before its too late. Like a lot of people on here I'm angry about white oppression.

Whilst I fully understand and feel your internal pain, I have to stop you there.

As a white male myself I find your victim complex to be completely unfounded and without merit. That's not to be totally dismissive of your lived experience, obviously.

What is it with white men like yourself and your need to take things to the nth degree.

Also, what do you mean by 'our country and culture'? You sound like the only angry white man on here.

• Options
    I’m saying James Bond, the character, is a white man, anyone can be the hero, anyone can be 007.

If you think I’m racist for that, well there’s nothing I can do about that.
    I’m not saying you’re ‘a racist’. I’m saying that’s a racist attitude. Bond is defined by many things, skin colour isn’t one of them any more than hair colour is. 

Elba is absolutely capable of playing Bond. Maybe you can help me understand why he has to be white? 
  • Options
    I don’t care who the next Bond/007 is. 
    Seriously. 
    Just get rid of Craig. 
    Awful one dimensional unemotional cardboard cut out of an actor.
    Who incidentally looked nowhere near as good in those trunks as my Hubby does FACT!
  • Options
    We have finally resolved this. Stephen Yackitty Lookatme should be the next James Bond.
  • Options

#keepbondwhiteandaman

Whilst I fully understand and feel your internal pain, I have to stop you there.

As a white male myself I find your victim complex to be completely unfounded and without merit. That's not to be totally dismissive of your lived experience, obviously.

What is it with white men like yourself and your need to take things to the nth degree.

Also, what do mean by 'our country and culture'? You sound like the only angry white man on here.

I'm very angry and just want my country back. This Bond nonsense is the last straw.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an EU directive to make Bond a woman. No doubt Channel 4 News and the PC police are in favour.

I'm still reeling from the imprisonment of the freedom fighter Tommy R. 

It's like living in North Korea.

I refer you to Michelangelo further up this page.

Now is not a time for amateur dramatics.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    We have finally resolved this. Stephen Yackitty Lookatme should be the next James Bond.
    On Her Majesty's Pleasure
  • Options

#keepbondwhiteandaman

Also, what do mean by 'our country and culture'? You sound like the only angry white man on here.

I'm very angry and just want my country back. This Bond nonsense is the last straw.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an EU directive to make Bond a woman. No doubt Channel 4 News and the PC police are in favour.

I'm still reeling from the imprisonment of the freedom fighter Tommy R. 

It's like living in North Korea.

I refer you to Michelangelo further up this page.

Now is not a time for amateur dramatics.

PC dogooders like you drive me nuts...

#iwantmytommyback
    #leavemeansleave
    #keepbondwhiteandaman
    #iwantmycountryback
    #ilovenigelbutnotinagayway