Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd have Williams back because he is a good player for league one. He needs a bit of love but I like his game.
    He was shite to be fair last season
    No he wasn't.  He was played out of position for half of it.

Like Gilbey has proved playing in the right position, in the right role, makes a massive difference.  Almost every league 1 player is either very good at something and not great at anything else or OK at most things without being excellent at anything.

If Stockley or Wyke were as good with their feet as they are with their head they would probably cost more than Kane and Haaland! 

Williams is an outstanding 10 by league 1 standards and a good one by championship standards.  He is absolutely rubbish by league 1 standards at doing anything else.  If you don't play him as a 10 he isn't worth having.  

As a wise man once said you don't sign Picasso and expect him to play the piano. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I'd have Williams back because he is a good player for league one. He needs a bit of love but I like his game.

Like Gilbey has proved playing in the right position, in the right role, makes a massive difference.  Almost every league 1 player is either very good at something and not great at anything else or OK at most things without being excellent at anything.

If Stockley or Wyke were as good with their feet as they are with their head they would probably cost more than Kane and Haaland! 

Williams is an outstanding 10 by league 1 standards and a good one by championship standards.  He is absolutely rubbish by league 1 standards at doing anything else.  If you don't play him as a 10 he isn't worth having.  

As a wise man once said you get sign Picasso and expect him to play the piano. 

Wasn’t there a Tommy Cooper gag where he held up a violin and a painting saying he had a Stradivarius and a Picasso - unfortunately Stradivarius couldn’t paint and Picasso was rubbish at making violins - then he smashed them together.
    😂
  • Options
    Never has a player done so little in a Charlton shirt, but received so much love in my opinion! I'm guilty of it too, as I really like the fella, but he had just a handful of decent games tbh. We can do a lot better...hopefully. COYA
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

As a wise man once said you don't sign Picasso and expect him to play the piano. 
    I heard Picasso has since signed for St Peters Burg.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Only problem with that is that you expect a 10 to pitch in with 10 goals a season minimum when you’re chasing promotion. More if they’re playing behind a lone striker like Stockley.

It took him years to get his first goal for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    He was poorly managed last season. He won't have become a poor player overnight.
    Not sure these results count as being “poorly managed” in any one season. I think too many fans confuse how nice and loyal he was with how good he was. Or in his case, how good he wasn’t.

• Options
    Coming on for Wales in the last 15mins of a friendly with Albania (currently 0-0)
  • Options
    Taken off injured for the last 12 mins.
  • Options
    Just been hacked down, must have been bad as he was straight up pushing the opponent

Isnt like him in normal circumstances
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Only problem with that is that you expect a 10 to pitch in with 10 goals a season minimum when you’re chasing promotion. More if they’re playing behind a lone striker like Stockley.

It took him years to get his first goal for us.
    You don't need to score goals to be a ten, if you have others that do.  I am actually gob smacked by the number of people that either didn't watch our first ten or so championship games or just choose to ignore them.

He never got a proper run in the side, in the right position, after that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    He was poorly managed last season. He won't have become a poor player overnight.
    Not sure these results count as being “poorly managed” in any one season. I think too many fans confuse how nice and loyal he was with how good he was. Or in his case, how good he wasn’t.

That means absolutely sod all, with out context.  It isn't baseball.

I couldn't give to shits how nice he is.  I have eyes, I watch games. 
  • Options
    Blimey, a slide tackle? Cawley must’ve looked hard for one of those... :-)
  • Options
    By both Bowyer and Mick? Of course . 
  • Options
    Seems he’s on the decline now sadly
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    "I’m a free agent again and I’ll keep fighting on and enjoying the game, wherever it may be. I wasn’t completely told what happened [at Cardiff] but at the end of the day, I hadn’t signed and someone’s taken a decision on that front so that’s that. I’ll move on and see what happens.”

Is that Mick that has signed him what, 3 times.  Non footballing decision this one.  If it wasn't Mick would have told him to his face, or maybe he was scared that Johnny would tell him to stick it up his bollocks?

He will either get another championship club or a big league 1 one.  He won't be scrapping in the hope a Morecombe sign him, as I have seen suggested here. 
  • Options
    Not poorly managed, and certainly not overnight.  Occasionally glimpses of talent when not injured and only when coming on as a sub. Looked very poor when asked to start. 
    An appalling scoring record throughout his career for an offensive player, and it is not as if he has a lot of assists. 
    Jonny scored only 2 goals with us and both in league 1. Purrington 4 and 2 of those were in the Championship. Both joined the Club at the same time and I bet if you check the stats Purrington has greater assists. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    "I’m a free agent again and I’ll keep fighting on and enjoying the game, wherever it may be. I wasn’t completely told what happened [at Cardiff] but at the end of the day, I hadn’t signed and someone’s taken a decision on that front so that’s that. I’ll move on and see what happens.”

Is that Mick that has signed him what, 3 times.  Non footballing decision this one.  If it wasn't Mick would have told him to his face, or maybe he was scared that Johnny would tell him to stick it up his bollocks?

He will either get another championship club or a big league 1 one.  He won't be scrapping in the hope a Morecombe sign him, as I have seen suggested here. 
    Reckon he'll get a bench warming gig at a Luton/QPR or similar. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Not poorly managed, and certainly not overnight.  Occasionally glimpses of talent when not injured and only when coming on as a sub. Looked very poor when asked to start. 
    An appalling scoring record throughout his career for an offensive player, and it is not as if he has a lot of assists. 
    Jonny scored only 2 goals with us and both in league 1. Purrington 4 and 2 of those were in the Championship. Both joined the Club at the same time and I bet if you check the stats Purrington has greater assists. 
    Do you actually watch football? 

Ben Purrington has more career goals than Gary Neville, does that make him a better full back?

We can argue from dusk till dawn on if you would have Johnny Williams in your team, your squad, or not.  To suggest Williams isn't a very good player is either ignorance or being obtuse. 

To say Johnny Williams is good enough to make it worth setting up so you can get him in is a different conversation, and one we would probably agree on. 
  • Options
    Great in play off final, proper nice guy. Wish him well ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was comparing two players who were playing for the same team at exactly the same point in time. One a defender who has outscored a so called attacking player. A player that many think is not good enough as anything other than a squad role.
    I think Jonny was good at coming on for the last 15mins as he was different and attacked players. I became more disillusioned as time went on that there was never an end result. 
    I just don’t see how he influences a game. Maybe I have higher standards as you describe him as very good, but last season I would not have had in my starting 11, and for me, that makes him not good enough for us.
    I don’t see that as ignorance or being obtuse. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I was comparing two players who were playing for the same team at exactly the same point in time. One a defender who has outscored a so called attacking player. A player that many think is not good enough as anything other than a squad role.
    I think Jonny was good at coming on for the last 15mins as he was different and attacked players. I became more disillusioned as time went on that there was never an end result. 
    I just don’t see how he influences a game. Maybe I have higher standards as you describe him as very good, but last season I would not have had in my starting 11, and for me, that makes him not good enough for us.
    I don’t see that as ignorance or being obtuse. 
    That's part of the point I am making.  If you play him as a number 10, like Bowyer did at the start of the championship season, he is very, very good.  Against Leeds at home he was the best player on the pitch, as described by Bielsa himself.  There were some very good Leeds ones to be fair. 

After he got injured, from being kicked off the pitch, not a pull or tear, he never regularly played for us as a ten again.  For what ever reason.  Part of that reason was Doughty, part of it was Bowyer, part of it was Johnny himself and his body not being reliable enough to build a team round. I am sure there were other reasons as well.

This season once Oztumer was sacrificed for the salary cap and Chuks was reclassified as a number 9 you couldn't build a formation round a number 10 If Williams was your only option and you had to play Doughty anywhere other than left back.  Williams will never be able to play in a midfield 3 in league 1, nor wide in a front 3.

If you play a diamond with split strikers Williams is an outstand league 1 player and a very good championship one.   If you play anything else he is probably bang average league 1.

Like I said I wouldn't want him back, unless we played like that, which I don't think we will.  My regret with Williams is he is good enough for us to build a team round for 3 years, he isn't reliable enough. 

I can't see what else you, or his other knockers are seeing? 
  • Options
    To be fair JW was outstanding for those first 6 or 7 games in the Championship!

But he was surrounded but LT, Leko and Gallagher.

He was never the same for us after that knee injury 
  • Options
    For Charlton to be successful in League 1 we need to start with fit, mobile players with a modicum of skill and good energy.

Jonny has a battery that only lasts 60 minutes on a good day, is Sponsored by Swarovski, and can spend longer on the deck than a journeyman boxer. 

Our problem is last season we had various players who failed the fit, mobile, skill and energy tests; or at least a couple of these basic requirements.

Williams, Maddison, Gunter, Aneke, Watson, Schwartz, and Inniss to name just 7, failed for various reasons to do with Mind, body and in a couple of the above, age.

Ryan Inniss would be the most effective CB in League 1 but the 10 years he was attached to Palace his injuries while out on loan were long and curtailed his involvement. We took a gamble on Ryan which going forward under Thomas Sandgaard we shouldn't be doing. New injuries occur but we need to find the equivalent of Ward-Prowse for Cafc in League 1 who has been on the field for every minute of the last two seasons for Southampton ! Amazing record.

Nigel Adkins philosophy and words are for a more robust and healthy group of players;
    Well at least to start with !
  • Options
    Williams is a bit of a paradox - build a team around him and he could be outstanding. But he's a bit fragile to be worth building around, there's always the question of his fitness/injury record.

He'll always be a good player who could've been great for me.
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes was a similar run at players type, but not half as talented as Williams. He scored 19 goals in his two years with us. Just saying.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Ricky Holmes was a similar run at players type, but not half as talented as Williams. He scored 19 goals in his two years with us. Just saying.
    Ricky Holmes may not have had as much natural talent as Johny but his end product was miles better. 
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    All at a better standard than  Johnny imo. 
    Hard to disagree.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Reckon he'll get a bench warming gig at a Lincoln/Plymouth or similar. 

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Ricky Holmes may not have had as much natural talent as Johny but his end product was miles better. 
    Scoring goals
    Creating chances 
    Free kicks 
    All at a better standard than  Johnny imo. 
    Hard to disagree.
    It is but I know which one keeps getting signed by championship managers.  I also know which one is a millionaire.

Holmes is similar to Maddison, as a player not personality, if fans picked the teams he would be a championship player.