Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    I hope he stays fit and plays.
  • Options
    Did Swindon find a new owner as i thought they were close to going bust a few weeks ago?
    https://theathletic.com/news/efl-confirms-clem-morfuni-has-become-majority-owner-of-swindon-town/eez7lUXSmUVB
  • Options
    Good luck to him. I'm not surprised about him dropping down to L2 as he's not actually put together any decent form for a couple of years now. His injury problems are well known, so he's always reliant on a bit of form to get a good move as teams will be put off by his injury record. If he can stay fit and perform for Swindon he won't be there long
  • Options
    Very surprised with that. Yes, he’s had bad injury issues, but he’s better than league 2. Didn’t see that coming. 

Laughable that Wales now have a current international player in the English fourth division. 
  • Options
    Definitely better than League Two.

You can’t tell me that there are teams in League One like Morecambe, Wimbledon etc operating at a higher level than what Jonny Williams can offer. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shurley shome mistake.
    Williams is Championship class. 
    Everyone knows you don't rate him, fair enough, but you don't have to slag him off on every thread.  There will be a Watson is old joke within a page....... 
    Maybe it was your good self who was telling us about his Championship class.
    I can't remember. 
  • Options

The one thing we know about Jonny is that he’s a confidence player. Maybe he looked at Swindon and thought that’s the place he wants to be. 

I have no doubt he could’ve got a deal with a Wimbledon or a Gillingham but perhaps those set ups aren’t suited to get the best out of his personality.
    Seems quite a drop and to a club in financial difficulties. Maybe he wanted to be near Wales, so options limited?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to remember a more likeable player in recent years and not for what he particularly did on the pitch. Like an injured Johnny Robinson. Something about the bloke just makes him likeable. 

Amazed at Swindon though, thought they were proper skint 
  • Options
    Interesting move! At least the chap looks happy as always!
  • Options
    Bless him. Good luck Jonny.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shurley shome mistake.
    Everyone knows you don't rate him, fair enough, but you don't have to slag him off on every thread.  There will be a Watson is old joke within a page....... 
    I can't remember. 
    Maybe it was my good self that said he would get a championship move in the window in about November last year and got laughed at.........

It's obviously not money motivated but a chance to play for someone who knows him well and obviously believes in him.  He is an very naturally gifted player and anyone that doesn't acknowledge his contribution to our fantastic start in the championship is being either obtuse or a troll.  But we are going over old ground and round in circles.  So there isn't any point.

I wish him nothing but luck. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    He moved to Cardiff.
    He started one game v Sheff W. 
    Sheff W won 5-0 from memory.
    He never started another game/completed another game (from memory). 
    I do like Jonny as a person and wish him nothing but the best. 
  • Options
    Hard to remember a more likeable player in recent years and not for what he particularly did on the pitch. Like an injured Johnny Robinson. Something about the bloke just makes him likeable. 

Amazed at Swindon though, thought they were proper skint 
    I believe the new owner has injected some stability and a little bit of cash. Really hope he can work his way back up the leagues.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    At one point I wondered if he would find a club. L2 makes sense when you look at his injury record, inconsistency, poor stats, fact he can't last 90 minutes. In this market I don't think any bigger clubs are gambling on that kind of player. 

I've always got the idea was not really interested in pushing himself. He's not the determined kind who wants to make the best of his abilities and has to win. He's just a lad who plays football and has a life outside of it, which is perhaps why he's so popular as a bloke, because he seems quite normal. But it's also what holds him back as a player. 

I hope not but wouldn't be surprised to see him pack it in before it's time. 
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    The Swindon manager is a former Palace academy and first team coach who's known Williams for years. May be part of the reason for the drop to League Two.
    This is the crucial point
  • Options
    I would have had him back in a heartbeat,Swindon cant be paying him that much,and for that money we could afford to have him as cover for our midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He could be our Jack Grealish, constantly falling over and winning us free kicks.
  • Options
    Wish him nothing but success. Should smash it in L2
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shurley shome mistake.
    I can't remember. 
    Maybe it was my good self that said he would get a championship move in the window in about November last year and got laughed at.........

It's obviously not money motivated but a chance to play for someone who knows him well and obviously believes in him.  He is an very naturally gifted player and anyone that doesn't acknowledge his contribution to our fantastic start in the championship is being either obtuse or a troll.  But we are going over old ground and round in circles.  So there isn't any point.

"Not money motivated.." but you also said his quick release from Birmingham was "not football related." Would it be unfair to say this is a case of seeing what you want to see? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Shurley shome mistake.
    I can't remember. 

"Not money motivated.." but you also said his quick release from Birmingham was "not football related." Would it be unfair to say this is a case of seeing what you want to see? 
    Birmingham?  He was released by Cardiff after he had been told he was being offered a new contract only for it to be withdrawn.  Big Mick wanted him to stay and told him so.  I have never known a player so irrationally slated by our fan base.  You even talk about him quitting at every opportunity it's quite weird.  I have repeatedly said I don't want him back and explained the reasons.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate he is a very good player, despite his obvious short comings. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    My bad. I was just reading an article about Birmingham. 

I don't think I've ever spoken about him quitting on this site? So it's a bit off to accuse me of constantly doing it. Fair enough if you've got confused with someone else. 

"Irrationally slated..." I actually he's actually got a lot of support considering his record. Look at how many people want him back. I reckon if you did a poll, 60%+ would want him back. Which obviously, I far from agree with. He's played with us for a good few years and yet when you ask when he has played well, people reference a two month period in the championship and one game in the playoffs. So the fact he has so much support is probably the irrational part. 

Not many players will get away with that kind of form. 
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Jonny as he just hasn’t had a good club career. Who wants to join Swindon ??
    at least he should have picked up so low end Premiership wages at Palarse 
  • Options
    A nice player, but not very effective. When you're a creative player who doesn't score goals or provide many assists, it feels a bit desperate to be someone who "provides assists to the assister"

Last season Wes Hoolahan was really effective for Cambridge, using his passing skills and vision to create loads of goals, with others doing the running and donkey work, but then he's over 10 years older than Jonny.
  • Options
    the right level for him nowadays, IF he can stand L2's robust physicality 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He could be our Jack Grealish, constantly falling over and winning us free kicks.
    No longer. Have a look at the new interpretation of the law on physical contact !