Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    Not sure whether he spends more time on the deck or the physios table.
    Williams won't get us promotion . Why are we signing League 2 players anyway....
    The last time Williams was with us he did help us win promotion from League One……
  • Options
    Ffs we are a weird bunch. 
    If we appoint this bloke all of a sudden one of the positives is we get Johnny back 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Ffs we are a weird bunch. 
    If we appoint this bloke all of a sudden one of the positives is we get Johnny back 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    And Lee Power is coming in as the new DoF
  • Options
    Williams won't get us promotion . Why are we signing League 2 players anyway....
    Because it appears we're signing League Two managers...... maybe it's all part of the master plan to aim for promotion from League Two in 2023/24.
  • Options
    I don’t think Williams (I hope) will be coming back, he’s had his time with us.
  • Options
    I don’t think Williams (I hope) will be coming back, he’s had his time with us.
    Hopefully this is the case 
  • Options
    I would have Williams back,to play the same sort of impact roll that Aneke will probably play next season,that would be part of a good bench in league 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree, he did fuck all to get us out of this league in 2019. Except of course for everything he did do to get us out of this league, including completely changing the momentum of the game at Wembley.
    I wouldn't re-sign him, but he was tremendous in the Championship for 10 games at the start of that season.  
  • Options
    I would have Williams back,to play the same sort of impact roll that Aneke will probably play next season,that would be part of a good bench in league 1.
    A good bench when fit.
  • Options
    He's found his level.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He's found his level.
    Not sure thats fair on him. 

He was easily good enough in terms of ability for league 1, he just didn't fit our style of play and struggled with stamina.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    He's found his level.

He was easily good enough in terms of ability for league 1, he just didn't fit our style of play and struggled with stamina.
    Surely that’s part of being a L1 footballer? You might have the football brain and technical ability, but if you’re not up to it physically then it’s not really your level.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The last time Williams was with us he did help us win promotion from League One……
    Same with Arthur Horsfield, but I don't think he be a great signing either
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sage said:
    Was arguably our best player, if not easily top 3, up until his meniscus injury against Derby in the October of the Championship season.
    He was close through those couple of months but would say he was pipped to that accolade by Gallagher and Taylor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    He's found his level.

I'd echo what Sco said but also look at it this way and see if you still feel it's unfair.

In the past 4 seasons (he wasn't playing regularly before that), he's averaged:

Goals: 0.5 per season
    Assists: 1.25 per season

Awful stats for an attacking midfielder. 

This season he got:

Goals: 5 
    Assists: 5

More like what you'd expect. He's never got near those numbers before, so I feel like it's fair to say he's found his level. 
  • Options
    He did in 2019...and played a huge part in the play off final win as an impact sub. No doubt he could do so again.
    Brilliant, Williams and Aneka can trouser 15k a week between them and play 15 minutes a game once in a while.
    nail right head on hit  :)
  • Options
    He did in 2019...and played a huge part in the play off final win as an impact sub. No doubt he could do so again.
    Brilliant, Williams and Aneka can trouser 15k a week between them and play 15 minutes a game once in a while.
    Can innis be added to this?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Totally agree, he did fuck all to get us out of this league in 2019. Except of course for everything he did do to get us out of this league, including completely changing the momentum of the game at Wembley.
    I wouldn't re-sign him, but he was tremendous in the Championship for 10 games at the start of that season.  
    I still say that that is the most under rated 10 games anyone has ever had in a Charlton shirt.  What is sad is he never got a run in the team, in that position again.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Was arguably our best player, if not easily top 3, up until his meniscus injury against Derby in the October of the Championship season.
    He was but how often in his career has he shown that form? Will he get back to that level and recreate that form?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    He was but how often in his career has he shown that form? Will he get back to that level and recreate that form?
    Every time he has had an extended run in any team in that exact role. 

The problem is he can't do anything else, at all, and he can't do it for 40 odd games.

You need to build a team round him and you can't because you don't know when he will break down, you just know he will. 

If he could play 45 games a season it would be worth the risk, you know he can't, so you don't.

I wouldn't want him back, and I am probably his biggest fan, but in the exact right position/role with the right players he is one hell of a player.  Charlie Kirk probably is as well. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    No one will know that, he was also going into what should’ve been his peak. What made him so good in that period was he was trusted, loved, played in his best position, and had players around him who got forward and made runs off him, like Gallagher. He was identified as our best player by Bielsa - he was so good in that early part of the season. I think that, alongside Taylor’s injury, was the turning point in our season. We coped without Taylor for a period of time because players like Williams was phenomenal, we lost our spark when he got injured and I don’t think that’s being too rose tinted. 
    If you were Johnny you would love the interplay and runs that Cullen and Gallagher provided and the space that Taylor and Leko gave you. 

Bielsa did a piece in the Evening Post about the first half of the season and said the Charlton 7 about 5 times, he absolutely rinsed Philips for 60 minutes.  He made Bielsa change systems 3 times. 
  • Options
    Comes back to my earlier point about him not being up to it physically. He can't maintain a career at Championship level despite having the technique and intelligence for it. Clubs won't keep taking a chance on him because they need players who are more reliable in terms of the games and minutes they can play.