Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    Maybe the Wales manager spoke to him and said he wasn't going to be selected again.
    And they both agreed they would announce the decision as 'retirement'.

PS: I know nuffink of course. :smile:

• Options
    Jonny joins the exodus

I imagine a few of the squad players are looking at the Wales side, without all their star players, and seeing a few years of struggle ahead.
  • Options
    Jonny joins the exodus

I imagine a few of the squad players are looking at the Wales side, without all their star players, and seeing a few years of struggle ahead.
    I think when you had a core of lower level premier league/championship players it was probably worth keeping them together as they dropped down the leagues.  

Once 1 or 2 retire you have probably lost enough of what made it special to stop it being viable.

The Gunters amd Williamses weren't being picked on club form and probably haven't been for a long time.
  • Options
    Making room for the new generation.

I watched Together Stronger on iPlayer during the World Cup, a series on how Wales improved resulting in them qualifying for tournaments.

They did similar when their experienced players retired in the mid 2000s. It allowed players like Gunter to get plenty of game time, eventually giving them a core of players with 30/40+ caps, becoming more like a club side.

Bale and Ramsey coming through made a huge difference too of course.
  • Options
    Good luck Jonny. He was a key part of our promotion team.

Since I have followed football Wales have always been a strange mix of some outstanding players including World class performers and journeymen from way down the league.

Let's hope the new generation do their nation proud 
  • Options
    Who's gonna be first to say it?
    Could job share with Dack 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Should sign for Bromley!!😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wrexham or Colchester with Garner I would guess
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

A friend of the managers son I believe.
  • Options
    "Too good for League 2" now
  • Options
    He’s actually had a good season there. Might be a case where he’s happy to be released to move up a division, or his wages are high. 

Could definitely see the Wrexham thing though. 
  • Options
    Hibs
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    He’s actually had a good season there. Might be a case where he’s happy to be released to move up a division, or his wages are high. 

without joining the "next club" speculation without any basis other than he's welsh and so are Wrexham... the first point is correct. Being released doesn't necessarily mean they don't want you. It could be for a host of reasons. 
  • Options
    Can't see Wrexham making room for Lee and Williams.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    He’s not welsh  although he played for them and wasn’t known to garner.
    His family are in SE London / Kent 
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    NabySarr said:
    Garner signed him for Swindon mate, Williams was there 2 seasons.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    May just be testing the free transfer market after scoring 10 goals this season as a winger/CM. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    When we won promotion in 2019 he chose to become a free agent after the final whilst he assessed his options, but ended up staying. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

without joining the "next club" speculation without any basis other than he's welsh and so are Wrexham... the first point is correct. Being released doesn't necessarily mean they don't want you. It could be for a host of reasons. 
    I didn’t say anything about the Welsh connection. But I could see it on the basis that he’s a League 1 quality player who probably has a fairly high wage for League 2, and therefore Wrexham could very well fit. 
  • Options
    Martins black box has highlighted we can flog Dobbo and get William's in free as our midfield stopper !
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    I wonder if the Gills might also be interested. Which he might favour due to his Kent roots.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    NabySarr said:
    He has known Garner for about 20 years.  The main reason he signed for Swindon.
  • Options
    Sign him up, make a great squad player, along with the other 65 ex-Charlton players being suggested 

• Options
    Oh god not this again. Move on.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CafcSCP said:

A friend of the managers son I believe.

Jonny Williams knows Andy Woodman when Woody was at Palace with Pardew from July 2015 to Jan 2017 (Joniesta was out on loans but kept coming back for treatment) and could well know him from when Freddie Woodman (Preston) was a lofty 12 year old keeper at Palace and Jonny was a tiny 15 year old. 

• Options
    Oh god not this again. Move on.
    Puts that Bradley Dack rumour in the bin