Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iran

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Here we go again. "It's all our fault". 

So tell me Benty, when has there ever been a coherent middle eastern strategy and how have the UK caused the rise in extremism in Tehran?

Because we failed to bomb the crap out of them over the last twenty years whenever they step out of line 

hopefully BoJo has listened to my voicemail and is going to drop the pain on them 
  • Options
    The US and the UK haven't had a coherent strategy in the Middle East for decades and have helped create the instability in the region and the rise of extremism. In the interim something needs to be done to protect shipping as it passes through the Strait.

It was inevitable some retaliation was going to take place after the Iranian tanker was seized but it seems that we were underprepared.

Mindless military action with no exit strategy won't further matters.

The US and UK are relatively minor players. Repressive regimes, tribal politics and violently inflexible religions/sects are the primary causes of instability. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

So tell me Benty, when has there ever been a coherent middle eastern strategy and how have the UK caused the rise in extremism in Tehran?

Read a few history books about the Middle East. How did our incursions in Iraq and Libya go? You could write reams of stuff about how we've f***ed up in the Middle East yet people will still ignore it.

The whole 'weapons of mass destruction' guff achieved zilch.

Perhaps we should just bomb the f*** out of Iran, topple the Government and then walk away. 

• Options
    Nice dodge benty, avoided the question like a boss, I suppose it's a step up from your normal sarcastic nonsense.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Blah, blah, blah, I refuse to answer the questions, blah, blah, blah, make up some bollocks, blah, blah, bastard western imperialists, blah, blah, ignore the fact people are exiting Iraq in droves because of oppression, blah, blah, blah.

I right and everyone else is wrong, blah, blah.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Nice dodge benty, avoided the question like a boss, I suppose it's a step up from your normal sarcastic nonsense.
    Not dodging anything so spare me the pathetic insult. 

I think our foreign policy in the Middle East has been a disaster - I could write chapter and verse on it. Jack Straw has just written a book on Iran 'The English Job' which I've read excerpts from and as an ex foreign secretary he might have some knowledge of the region. You might not agree with him but he has some interesting things to say.

I'm not clear if the US and UK wants a stable Middle East or what the end game is? Is it simply about our economic self interest?

Does anybody on here think our strategy in the Middle East has been a success?

• Options
    Interesting to see what Bojo makes of it. Trump and Bolton are apparently at odds over what to do.
  • Options

I think our foreign policy in the Middle East has been a disaster - I could write chapter and verse on it. Jack Straw has just written a book on Iran 'The English Job' which I've read excerpts from and as an ex foreign secretary he might have some knowledge of the region. You might not agree with him but he has some interesting things to say.

I'm not clear if the US and UK wants a stable Middle East or what the end game is? Is it simply about our economic self interest?

It's interesting that you can write 'chapter and verse' yet won't answer Addickted's two questions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The US and the UK haven't had a coherent strategy in the Middle East for decades and have helped create the instability in the region and the rise of extremism. In the interim something needs to be done to protect shipping as it passes through the Strait.

It was inevitable some retaliation was going to take place after the Iranian tanker was seized but it seems that we were underprepared.

Mindless military action with no exit strategy won't further matters.

The US and UK are relatively minor players. Repressive regimes, tribal politics and violently inflexible religions/sects are the primary causes of instability. 
    Perfectly put mate  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Luckily I deferred a trip to Iran this year but head to Israel instead. 
    This happened when I wanted to visit Syria but thought I’d wait for the scuffles (uprising) to calm down. And now Syria is virtually flattened. I just hope bombs don’t rain down on Iran. And on the point, is there an agreement not to bomb the tourist sites?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Luckily I deferred a trip to Iran this year but head to Israel instead. 
    This happened when I wanted to visit Syria but thought I’d wait for the scuffles (uprising) to calm down. And now Syria is virtually flattened. I just hope bombs don’t rain down on Iraq. And on the point, is there an agreement not to bomb the tourist sites?
    Did you do Belfast during the 80's / 90's?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It's interesting that you can write 'chapter and verse' yet won't answer Addickted's two questions.

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I don't think we've had a coherent foreign policy in the Middle East in the recent past that worked in answer to the first question. Bush and Blair seemed to have failed in their policy with incursions within the region.

Destabilising governments without an exit strategy such as Iraq and Libya and supporting Saudi Arabia which has helped fund ISIS has coincided with a growth in extremism in the reguon. As far as I can see Western goverments have to take some responsibility. 

Iran and Iraq were at war as recently as 1988 and relations between the two can easily be fuelled rightly or wrongly by Western support or withdrawal of support.

I go back to the point I made about establishing what our goal is?

• Options
    I hope the Middle Eastern consortium that's just about to buy Charlton aren't reading this thread...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I hope the Middle Eastern consortium that's just about to buy Charlton aren't reading this thread...
    Depends on what country they are from?
  • Options
    *policy
  • Options
    *policy
    Thank you.
  • Options

It might be an idea to build a new big pipe line to anywhere that cuts out the Straits of Hormus.

Probably cheaper than a war in the middle east. 

• Options
    *policy
    Thank you.
    Np
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It might be an idea to build a new big pipe line to anywhere that cuts out the Straits of Hormus.

Very worrying given Iran's nuclear programme- Trump has taken a very different stance to Obama.
  • Options

Very worrying given Iran's nuclear programme- Trump has taken a very different stance to Obama.
    I think Obama was more a fan of dropping drones on such countries weren't he? Serious question 
  • Options

I think Obama was more a fan of dropping drones on such countries weren't he? Serious question 
    Very much so, there's an awesome documentary about the almost indiscriminate drone attacks under Obama.

I know I've mentioned it before, but Power Wars is also a fantastic book.

Let's not pretend the Trump White House is the first one to be run by blood thirsty maniacs.
  • Options

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I don't think we've had a coherent foreign policy in the Middle East in the recent past that worked in answer to the first question. Bush and Blair seemed to have failed in their policy with incursions within the region.

Destabilising governments without an exit strategy such as Iraq and Libya and supporting Saudi Arabia which has helped fund ISIS has coincided with a growth in extremism in the reguon. As far as I can see Western goverments have to take some responsibility. 

Iran and Iraq were at war as recently as 1988 and relations between the two can easily be fuelled rightly or wrongly by Western support or withdrawal of support.

How about in the distant past? The point I believe Addickted was trying to make is that these problems go a lot further back and a lot deeper than our involvement.
  • Options

How about in the distant past? The point I believe Addickted was trying to make is that these problems go a lot further back and a lot deeper than our involvement.
    Well, Iraq was a state constructed and established by the British in the aftermath of WW1. The Shah of Iran was put on the throne in 1953 by a coup organised by the British and The Americans. 
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Well, Iraq was a state constructed and established by the British in the aftermath of WW1. The Shah of Iran was put on the throne in 1953 by a coup organised by the British and The Americans. 
    So are we saying that, without any outside influences, the region would be peaceful and harmonious?
  • Options
    Mametz said:

How stable was the region before that? 1800's? 1700's?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It's all well and good cherry picking certain things in history where we poked our noses in, opening a can of worms, but jesus wept, I don't think they need any encouragement to kill each other down that way, life seems very cheap
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Mametz said:

So are we saying that, without any outside influences, the region would be peaceful and harmonious?
    No, I don’t think we can say that with any certainty at all.

However, we can’t say that we haven’t been part of the problem of the outside influences.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

How stable was the region before that? 1800's? 1700's?
    I don’t think anybody took any notice until the world needed oil.