Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Conor Gallagher - first league goal for Chelsea (p77)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I would be shocked to see him play for England.
    I think him playing for England is starting to become a more realistic proposition.
    We will see, he may get a chance but a regular, still can’t see it 
    I have a feeling he might … but please not with Palaaarse
  • Options
    Left us to be relegated at the very first opportunity and when we needed him most in January, then joined Palace and now helping them to beat the likes of Man City. Don't see any conflict. 
  • Options
    He’ll be sold by Chelsea for upwards of 20m. Just hope it isn’t to Palarse.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Such a good player, he'll be breaking I to a big side next season imo.

He's had the benefit of playing for shit sides and doing his own thing, so a big side could be very interesting.
  • Options
    Sometimes these big clubs just need to take a step back and realise they have kids who are good enough.

Chelsea were trying to spend 50m+ on Kounde in the summer and it fell through, then they've given game time this season to Chalobah and he hasn't looked out of place at all. Saved themselves 50m and they're certainly no worse off, and if they wanted to they could now probably sell Chalobah for 20m+ next summer.

They should give Gallagher a chance. Even in the summer of 2023 he'll still have 2 years left on his contract and lesser sides will still pay a good amount for him even if it doesn't work out.
  • Options
    I think Conor will end up playing for his beloved Chelsea. 

Not sure if the rules and regs allow, but I'd love it if he was recalled in January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see him staying at Palace. Either recalled to be in Chelsea's first team or sold for £40m to somewhere like Leeds
  • Options
    He's contracted to 2025 so i think Chelsea will keep him next season to see how he does.

Let's be honest if there was a 21 year old English box to box midfielder playing well in the premier league, Chelsea would be right in there wanting to sign him. 

I know their transfer business is largely based around selling academy kids, but he is one they should keep. They'd be better off shipping out someone like Ross Barkley who's on a much higher wage, and integrating Gallagher into their squad.
    Loftus-cheek is another fringe player they might decide to move on
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I'm delighted Conor is doing so well, he is a great lad and deserves it.
    But it breaks my heart that he is with them
    I speak to his brother Dan sometimes, and he said something along the lines of 'he doesn't want to upset the CAFC fans but he wants to play in London' soon after signing. I think being near home is important to him, his family are very close knit, and that almost certainly has something to do with why he has looked so much better for us and them compared to WBA. 
    Do you think his brother might shed some light on the real reason why he was yanked out of Charlton at the time? The story I heard (and put on here to much scepticism) was that his agent initiated it and Conor was pretty upset to leave. The fact that they did not do that with Ian Maadsen, despite the club being still in the doldrums in terms of team cohesion and fitness support, is interesting in the context of that suggestion. 
  • Options
    Left us to be relegated at the very first opportunity and when we needed him most in January, then joined Palace and now helping them to beat the likes of Man City. Don't see any conflict. 
    Not sure whether it was him or Chelsea that was responsible for the move.  Whoever it was needs to rot in hell with Lyle Taylor.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I speak to his brother Dan sometimes, and he said something along the lines of 'he doesn't want to upset the CAFC fans but he wants to play in London' soon after signing. I think being near home is important to him, his family are very close knit, and that almost certainly has something to do with why he has looked so much better for us and them compared to WBA. 
    Do you think his brother might shed some light on the real reason why he was yanked out of Charlton at the time? The story I heard (and put on here to much scepticism) was that his agent initiated it and Conor was pretty upset to leave. The fact that they did not do that with Ian Maadsen, despite the club being still in the doldrums in terms of team cohesion and fitness support, is interesting in the context of that suggestion. 
    I thought it was pretty obvious why they cancelled the loan?

They wanted Gallagher to be playing in a competitive team, but we got hit with about a dozen injuries and had half of our U23 team playing and were getting beat most weeks. That didn't really benefit Gallagher or Chelsea, so they sent him to a better team where his ex-England youth manager was in charge.

I've no doubt if we were in and around the top half with a relatively fully fit team then he'd have stayed.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Steve Gallen at a Bromley Addicks meeting indicated that he could could have stayed with us during that window and laid the blame at ESI door, no more specifics were given 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I thought it was pretty obvious why they cancelled the loan?

They wanted Gallagher to be playing in a competitive team, but we got hit with about a dozen injuries and had half of our U23 team playing and were getting beat most weeks. That didn't really benefit Gallagher or Chelsea, so they sent him to a better team where his ex-England youth manager was in charge.

I've no doubt if we were in and around the top half with a relatively fully fit team then he'd have stayed.
    (we went through all this at the time, but...)

The problems with that "obvious" scenario are:

1. Bowyer and Gallen obviously knew that it did not look good, as they approached the window, but the story is that in December therefore they asked Torre Andre Flo on one of his regular visits to check on CG at SL, whether they could assume that he would not be recalled early, and received a very positive answer, because, said TAF, he was getting the experience they wanted and expected for him. (Never played first team at that level before, don't forget). If the answer is as obvious as you suggest, why would TAF discount even considering it, only for Chelsea to suddenly turn round and yank him out, leaving us no time to replace him? That seems like a spiteful way to behave which does not fit with Chelsea's behaviour towards us when we had da Silva, or Maadsen. Nor have I heard a similar story from other clubs, and Chelsea loan a phenomenal amount of young players.

2. It was fairly clear that the worst of the injury crisis would abate over December/Jan - e.g. Taylor was on his way back to full fitness.

3. Swansea were only on the fringe of the promotion race. And that is where they stayed. When Chelsea lent CG to us, we were odds on to go down, too, but that did not seem to bother Chelsea at the time. Maybe they thought Bow's specific playing experience was ideal for Conor, and that was certainly how it looked as he flourished before the injuries hit. Injuries always hit clubs, and I don't recall Chelsea or other big clubs taking fright and saying "oh, you guys have terrible injuries,so, hey, we'll make it even worse for you."

Maybe there is an ESI dimension too, but I am not buying the Steve Cooper bollocks, sorry.

Then again, if it is murky probably Conor and his brother don't want to talk about it.
  • Options
    Tireless, clever and tough .. every game he plays his value increases by a few million, the Chelsea money men are rubbing their hands with glee .. right now, he is THE form midfielder in the Prem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being a bit old school in my thoughts of players, I always rate midfielders as an overall player, to me a midfielder should be able to defend/ attack/ pass/ tackle. Not either/or. I do get frustrated with the pigeonholed position because a MF can’t do something or is better at a particular aspect. For example, defensive MF or no.10. Sort of made up positions. That’s why I like Conor as a player so much, he can do the lot, for me a real box to box player. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Being a bit old school in my thoughts of players, I always rate midfielders as an overall player, to me a midfielder should be able to defend/ attack/ pass/ tackle. Not either/or. I do get frustrated with the pigeonholed position because a MF can’t do something or is better at a particular aspect. For example, defensive MF or no.10. Sort of made up positions. That’s why I like Conor as a player so much, he can do the lot, for me a real box to box player. 
    But surely you wouldn't expect Mount or De Bruyne to do what Kante and Rodri do or vice versa?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I did hear some speculation that Chelsea rumbled that ESI had no money. Maybe the fact (we didn’t know it but) we were under a transfer embargo was something to do with it. 

I find it v difficult seeing him in a Palarse shirt.

If England don’t get a move on, Scotland will be after him. Qualifies apparently.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    He was recalled
    Because southall didn’t pay the next instalment. It’s easy to blame the player or hate him because he is now at palace but he didn’t have a say in being recalled
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    paulfox said:
    But surely you wouldn't expect Mount or De Bruyne to do what Kante and Rodri do or vice versa?
    Why not?, they are midfielders aren’t they, might even make some of them better. I think to be fair De Bruyne has more to his all round game than the others. As I emphasised when I was growing up watching football a midfielder could do it all. The best ones anyway. 
  • Options
    Conor's Dad is a driver and he drives my friend around for his work trips etc.    
    Conor didn't want to leave, but I believe Swansea paid a fee for taking him and also it was thought that Swansea and their set up was a much better destination for his football development than basket case Charlton.
    But it wasn't Conor's doing, however his agent and Chelsea benefitted financially from the move also.
  • Options
    He's doing for Palace what he did in his short stay for us .. an example of tireless running, great covering, fierce tacking, in  fact a bit of an ideal benchmark for the modern midfielder .. he's carrying on with the sort of performances that a now aging Kanté gave for the Foxes and Chelsea, proving that one player CAN make a team 100% better
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    He was recalled
    Because southall didn’t pay the next instalment. It’s easy to blame the player or hate him because he is now at palace but he didn’t have a say in being recalled
    I know, the video Chelsea did on him on YouTube just after he left, showed he was gutted to leave... he certainly projected that anyway. 
  • Options
    However painful it might be to see him at Palace, he's an excellent player, and seems a decent person as well

I can see Chelsea integrating him into their first team squad next season. How long can Gareth not call him up also, now he's shining in the PL?