Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Comment 
    Use the edit facility Stu, top right hand corner of your original post, you'll get a little wheel and drop down box if you click on it (like I just have). Here to help 😉.
  • Ben18 said:
    Not directly Conor related, but a dig at Chelsea. And nothing new either.

Chelsea have 26 players out on loan at the moment. More than half of those are over 23 years old

Jamal Blackman - Vitesse - 25 years old
    Matt Miazga - Reading - 24 years old
    Baba Rahman - Mallorca - 25 years old
    Davide Zappacosta - Roma - 27 years old
    Tiemoue Bakayoko - Monaco - 25 years old
    Lewis Baker - Fortuna Dusseldorf - 24 years old
    Danny Drinkwater - Aston Villa - 28 years old
    Kenedy - Getafe - 23 years old
    Victor Moses - Fenerbahce - 29 years old
    Charley Musonda - Vitesse - 23 years old
    Nathan - Atletico Mineiro - 23 years old
    Danilo Pantic - Fehevar - 23 years old
    Mario Pasalic - Atalanta - 24 years old
    Izzy Brown - Luton - 23 years old
    Lucas Piazon - Rio Ave - 25 years old

They are stockpiling players and treating them as commodities.

There should be a limit on loaning out players over the age of 23. Maybe 2 per season

Players over 23, who don't make your 25 man squad, should be either released (paid up) or sold via tribunal.
    Absolutely scandalous that season after season they are allowed to get away with this.
  • edited January 2020
    It is very hard to know what players are going to make it. Even harder when making it at a club like Chelsea is much harder than a club like say Cambridge. So there is a general principle in football which is like old style ways of trawling for specific fish. You catch as many as you can and throw out all the duff ones. This works for very young players at most clubs, but clubs like Chelsea can afford to do it for older youth players too.

This must have been costed and decided that the first team players it produces make it a cost effective method. Not sure it is the right one though but football clubs can be nasty operations in a cutthroat world!
  • Off_it said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:
    I think people need to calm down on the Gallagher and Chelsea hating.

Without either of their support, we wouldn't even know his name. They have done us a favour.

They are not a charity and we do not live in a communist society 

If you were Chelsea and you watched that Derby game , you would move Connor to another team for the following footballing reasons 

1. He needs to play with men not boys on his team to develop.

2. CG has been the only player in the last 2 months who has been trying to play triangles and get pass and move going. Because you cant do this on your own, he has gone backwards slightly as trying to to do too much. 

3. If JW and JC had stayed fit he wouldn't be going back. Chelsea need him to learn and , with all due respect, he isn't learning from playing with Deji.

4. If he goes West Brom, Chelsea will get 1-2M just for the loan as it seals them promotion. If he goes Swansea then he gets to play with England youth coach as his manager and Rhian Brewster to thread through balls to.

Whilst I loved watching this kwolity baller play, its not the end of the world. JC and JW coming back will more than compensate. JW fit runs rings round any attacking midfielder, he runs rings around a 19 year old CG.

We need another body in midfield to cover JC but either JW or Otzumer can fill the CG role, which is a creative midfielder.

Good luck Connor, u were mint for us

I think you're spot on with this.  Chelsea loaned Gallagher in the expectation that he would play every week and play alongside senior pros who will help him develop his game.  With Charlton's midfield decimated by injury Gallagher has been playing alongside the likes of Doughty, Dempsey, Morgan and Vennings.  No disrespect to those players, Doughty in particular looks an excellent prospect, but there is no denying they are boys that have had to be thrown in to the team before they are truly ready.  Is that what Chelsea signed up for?  They'd want Gallagher playing with experienced players like Pratley, and internationals like Williams and Cullen.  That hasn't been the case recently.  Not winning for 12 weeks in a row is a valuable gut check that Gallagher won't get playing in the Chelsea youth team, but perhaps Chelsea have seen enough.

There's absolutely no doubt that Gallagher has improved by playing at Charlton and teams like Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal are now very well aware of what a spell at Charlton can do for their players.  I think we should be taking the long view on this.  Our chances of getting more and better loans from Premier League clubs will have improved considering how well the likes of Bielik, Cullen and Gallagher have done.  With a less tight-fisted ownership prepared to make a bigger contribution to loan costs we should be be able to get more top young players in the next few years.

I'm sad to see Gallagher go this early but it's not like Charlton never lost its best players before.  I wish him all the very best. He's a quality player and from his kind words on Charlton, clearly a quality young man too. 
    Yes because I am fairly certain that when we signed him on loan we did not have Williams, Cullen, Field, Leko, Greene, Kayal or Oztumer in the squad.

so we had Pratley, Aneke and the kids.  Unless Chelsea are pulling him because he has not had enough game time with Aneke?

I don't know the timescales of signings in the summer but Charlton must have convinced Chelsea of the squad they expected to have and the worth of Gallagher playing at Charlton, particularly with the reportedly low contribution Charlton were making to Gallagher's wages.  It appears that having seen who has been in the teams in recent weeks Chelsea have reconsidered. 
    The gaping great hole in your argument is that the Chelsea Loan Technical Director or whatever title goes with his 200k a year salary must also be aware that those senior players which were signed and so met with his approval early on, are now all coming back, and  furthermore that the new ownership are promising further strengthening. How would the Loan Technical Director not know all this if he has been visiting Sparrows Lane? And even if he hasn't, why didn't he just discuss his concerns with Bowyer? Clearly he did not do that.
    The gaping hole in your argument is “why the fuck should he?”.

He’s not our player and never was. They don’t have to justify themselves to Charlton, Bowyer or you. They call the shots. That’s just how it is.

You think I don't understand that? Really? 

Football is a business, and the individual businesses, and the individuals who work in that business, depend on each other as well as competing with each other. One day, perhaps quite soon, Abramovic will sell, probably to some Yank consortium, and the slow decline similar to that at Old Trafford will probably set in. In football what goes around comes around a bit quicker than in many industries. But it's the same as in any business. You can get away with behaving like a classless ****, but generally in the long term showing a bit of class brings better outcomes.
    What are you wittering on about now?

The guy in charge of his development is clearly just doing his job and looking out for what he believes to be the best interests of the player, their player, and the club.

That’s his concern. Not what you think or what might happen in a few years time if their chairman packs it in. He’s doing his job now and will no doubt be judged on how he does his job by his employer, as it should be.

Not sure what part of any of this is so difficult to understand or why it somehow shows a lack of class because you haven’t been told their reasons.

Weird - meaning weird.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:
    I think people need to calm down on the Gallagher and Chelsea hating.

Without either of their support, we wouldn't even know his name. They have done us a favour.

They are not a charity and we do not live in a communist society 

If you were Chelsea and you watched that Derby game , you would move Connor to another team for the following footballing reasons 

1. He needs to play with men not boys on his team to develop.

2. CG has been the only player in the last 2 months who has been trying to play triangles and get pass and move going. Because you cant do this on your own, he has gone backwards slightly as trying to to do too much. 

3. If JW and JC had stayed fit he wouldn't be going back. Chelsea need him to learn and , with all due respect, he isn't learning from playing with Deji.

4. If he goes West Brom, Chelsea will get 1-2M just for the loan as it seals them promotion. If he goes Swansea then he gets to play with England youth coach as his manager and Rhian Brewster to thread through balls to.

Whilst I loved watching this kwolity baller play, its not the end of the world. JC and JW coming back will more than compensate. JW fit runs rings round any attacking midfielder, he runs rings around a 19 year old CG.

We need another body in midfield to cover JC but either JW or Otzumer can fill the CG role, which is a creative midfielder.

Good luck Connor, u were mint for us

I think you're spot on with this.  Chelsea loaned Gallagher in the expectation that he would play every week and play alongside senior pros who will help him develop his game.  With Charlton's midfield decimated by injury Gallagher has been playing alongside the likes of Doughty, Dempsey, Morgan and Vennings.  No disrespect to those players, Doughty in particular looks an excellent prospect, but there is no denying they are boys that have had to be thrown in to the team before they are truly ready.  Is that what Chelsea signed up for?  They'd want Gallagher playing with experienced players like Pratley, and internationals like Williams and Cullen.  That hasn't been the case recently.  Not winning for 12 weeks in a row is a valuable gut check that Gallagher won't get playing in the Chelsea youth team, but perhaps Chelsea have seen enough.

There's absolutely no doubt that Gallagher has improved by playing at Charlton and teams like Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal are now very well aware of what a spell at Charlton can do for their players.  I think we should be taking the long view on this.  Our chances of getting more and better loans from Premier League clubs will have improved considering how well the likes of Bielik, Cullen and Gallagher have done.  With a less tight-fisted ownership prepared to make a bigger contribution to loan costs we should be be able to get more top young players in the next few years.

I'm sad to see Gallagher go this early but it's not like Charlton never lost its best players before.  I wish him all the very best. He's a quality player and from his kind words on Charlton, clearly a quality young man too. 
    Yes because I am fairly certain that when we signed him on loan we did not have Williams, Cullen, Field, Leko, Greene, Kayal or Oztumer in the squad.

so we had Pratley, Aneke and the kids.  Unless Chelsea are pulling him because he has not had enough game time with Aneke?

I don't know the timescales of signings in the summer but Charlton must have convinced Chelsea of the squad they expected to have and the worth of Gallagher playing at Charlton, particularly with the reportedly low contribution Charlton were making to Gallagher's wages.  It appears that having seen who has been in the teams in recent weeks Chelsea have reconsidered. 
    The gaping great hole in your argument is that the Chelsea Loan Technical Director or whatever title goes with his 200k a year salary must also be aware that those senior players which were signed and so met with his approval early on, are now all coming back, and  furthermore that the new ownership are promising further strengthening. How would the Loan Technical Director not know all this if he has been visiting Sparrows Lane? And even if he hasn't, why didn't he just discuss his concerns with Bowyer? Clearly he did not do that.
    The gaping hole in your argument is “why the fuck should he?”.

He’s not our player and never was. They don’t have to justify themselves to Charlton, Bowyer or you. They call the shots. That’s just how it is.

You think I don't understand that? Really? 

Football is a business, and the individual businesses, and the individuals who work in that business, depend on each other as well as competing with each other. One day, perhaps quite soon, Abramovic will sell, probably to some Yank consortium, and the slow decline similar to that at Old Trafford will probably set in. In football what goes around comes around a bit quicker than in many industries. But it's the same as in any business. You can get away with behaving like a classless ****, but generally in the long term showing a bit of class brings better outcomes.
    What are you wittering on about now?

The guy in charge of his development is clearly just doing his job and looking out for what he believes to be the best interests of the player, their player, and the club.

That’s his concern. Not what you think or what might happen in a few years time if their chairman packs it in. He’s doing his job now and will no doubt be judged on how he does his job by his employer, as it should be.

Not sure what part of any of this is so difficult to understand or why it somehow shows a lack of class because you haven’t been told their reasons.

Weird - meaning weird.
    If you were a development coach at Chelsea and you saw the treatment handed out to Gallagher at Derby for example, because he's the only player you needed to stop that night, you would probably think its safer to get him away from that. I still think Swansea splashing the cash on loan fees is the driving force, but they are also protecting their player whos become a marked man in a red shirt. 
    Precisely.

In fact you could argue that if he left him here he wouldn’t be doing his job properly. 

Whether we might have players coming back or be about to sign Messi doesn’t really come into it. He has to make a judgement now based on the facts of what’s in front of him.

Far be it from me to defend Chelsea (spit) but I can’t see they’ve done much wrong here. We know the game.
  • Swansea already have 5 loan players (even after Surridge went back) so Conor will be their 6th
  • Chelsea's Development Strategy must operate as a business. They only need 1 x player per year to make it into the 1st team and it saves them 50-100 mill on buying a "name" in the open market. Buy cheap (or youth) improve them - via loans etc and then sell them on or put them in the 1st team.  All of the players that they have over 23 are within their rights to run their contracts down and move elsewhere. There must be a reason that they are happy to stay at Chelsea and be loaned out.

Personally i cant see what the issue is . Their players are playing, they must be happy ( ish ) or they will leave. 

• edited January 2020
    This explains it pretty well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG6kXJl5VQU

• Islam Feruz was signed by Chelsea in 2012 for 2.5k pw before signing a new deal in 2014 for 15k a week.

he is now without a club at the age of 24 having made around £4m so far in his career.

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
    2014–2019Chelsea0(0)
    2014→ OFI Crete (loan)1(0)
    2015→ Blackpool (loan)2(0)
    2015–2016→ Hibernian (loan)6(0)
    2016–2017→ Royal Excel Mouscron (loan)7(0)
    2017→ Swindon Town (loan)4(0)

nice work if you can get it.
    Not played for 2 years - surprised we haven’t signed him. 
  • Ben18 said:

Chelsea have 26 players out on loan at the moment. More than half of those are over 23 years old

There should be a limit on loaning out players over the age of 23. Maybe 2 per season

Players over 23, who don't make your 25 man squad, should be either released (paid up) or sold via tribunal.
    There is isn't there? Pretty sure FIFA introduced a rule recently limiting the number of international loans to something like 6 or 8.

Won't affect domestic loans though.
  • Hard for the player to run down their contract as well.

Indicate they won't sign an extension, and probably end up training with the youth team and not playing any football for 6/18 months.
  • Ben18 said:

Most of those players will never play for Chelsea again - I don’t really understand why they feel the need to keep them? The likes of Baker, Blackman, Brown, Musonda and Piazon will just keep signing new contracts and being loaned out. I can’t see how that helps their career (I’m not talking about financially). Baker has been on loan at 7 different clubs since signing for Chelsea -where he has played 1 game in 6 years. I don’t see the point - just leave and get a permanent gig somewhere and get your career going.

I just hope Gallagher’s career goes down a different route because he is too good a player to just disappear in to obscurity. 

Chelsea are everything I hate in football. Let’s not kid ourselves, the only reason they have Lampard as manager and the likes of Abraham, James, Mount and Tomori are playing is because they couldn’t make any moves in the transfer market. 

Mount and Tomori were with Lampard at Derby last season and Abraham played under Lampard's best mate, John Terry, at Villa. If they were ever going to chance it would have been as much to do with Lampard being the Chelsea Manager as it was to do with the embargo.

And Abraham, for one, would have made it anyway. Goalscorers do not grow on trees and 15 goals for Chelsea is evidence enough that he can cut it at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to CG a smashing player, hope Chelsea don't keep farming him out and he can really get stuck in to a side. 
  • Like a poster at the top said, taking Conor away from Charlton, who are struggling and to whom he was a very important, even vital, component, then sending him to Swansea, who are just outside the play-offs, could be seen to be having a very real influence on the outcome of the division.
  • Sounds to me that Conor was tapped up by Steve Cooper his old 
    England under 17's manager. Read on google UK news that he
    chose Swansea. Good luck to him hope he stays clear of injuries,
    as seem to remember a few of his new team mates getting stuck
    into him recently!
  • Sage said:
    Conor 100% did not instigate this, he was more than happy to stay and loved his time here.

I'll ask this again. How do you know this for a fact?
  • Ben18 said:

Most of those players will never play for Chelsea again - I don’t really understand why they feel the need to keep them? The likes of Baker, Blackman, Brown, Musonda and Piazon will just keep signing new contracts and being loaned out. I can’t see how that helps their career (I’m not talking about financially). Baker has been on loan at 7 different clubs since signing for Chelsea -where he has played 1 game in 6 years. I don’t see the point - just leave and get a permanent gig somewhere and get your career going.

I just hope Gallagher’s career goes down a different route because he is too good a player to just disappear in to obscurity. 

Chelsea are everything I hate in football. Let’s not kid ourselves, the only reason they have Lampard as manager and the likes of Abraham, James, Mount and Tomori are playing is because they couldn’t make any moves in the transfer market. 
    Chelsea make a lot of money by loaning out players, they act like Manpower or Reed Employment, they 'own' the player and pay him a rate, the borrowing club pays a premium on that rate of pay ..  
  • Sage said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Sage said:
    Conor 100% did not instigate this, he was more than happy to stay and loved his time here.

I'll ask this again. How do you know this for a fact?
    Because I do. I‘m not prepared to say how exactly, but in time you will see or hear it from Bowyer and Gallen, whenever they get asked. 

Let’s just say I know for fact, the same way you know for a fact that today is Wednesday. 
    But yesterday you had no idea if this rumour was true or not and today you know the ins and outs of it? Starting to think you might not know what day of the week it is.