Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• At that time a guarantee he would be starting most games was probably enough.

There was no such guarantee - play on merit 
  • Well, I'm going to crack onto his mrs.

I was holding off as he was a CAFC player, but gloves off now....

brilliant 
  • Bubble said:
    Talksport

” He felt like he was leaving Charlton at the time when they needed him most. He was enjoying his football, there.”
    Does he have no say in the matter. He might only be 19 but he is an adult & has a tongue in his head. At that age I changed jobs for more money & better prospects......but the decision was mine. 

Shame we aren't playing Swansea again this season....would love to see Prately kicking him up in the air.

And I hope his family like tracking up & down the M4 every other week. Good job they've abolished the £6 toll charge...😀
    First Grant and now Gallagher. Can't understand why Josh Parker got off so lightly!
  • Bubble said:
    Talksport

” He felt like he was leaving Charlton at the time when they needed him most. He was enjoying his football, there.”
    Does he have no say in the matter. He might only be 19 but he is an adult & has a tongue in his head. At that age I changed jobs for more money & better prospects......but the decision was mine. 

Shame we aren't playing Swansea again this season....would love to see Prately kicking him up in the air.

And I hope his family like tracking up & down the M4 every other week. Good job they've abolished the £6 toll charge...😀
    First Grant and now Gallagher. Can't understand why Josh Parker got off so lightly!
    Knew where he lives and is a hard nut. You don’t come back from being screwed over in Eastern Europe and take any shit like this. 
  • A minor consolation if that if he goes to Swansea (or West Brom or Derby) we won't have to face him, which would be painful
  • Yes, as was facing those teams for him - dirty bastards.
  • Missed It said:
    Missed It said:
    I think people need to calm down on the Gallagher and Chelsea hating.

Without either of their support, we wouldn't even know his name. They have done us a favour.

They are not a charity and we do not live in a communist society 

If you were Chelsea and you watched that Derby game , you would move Connor to another team for the following footballing reasons 

1. He needs to play with men not boys on his team to develop.

2. CG has been the only player in the last 2 months who has been trying to play triangles and get pass and move going. Because you cant do this on your own, he has gone backwards slightly as trying to to do too much. 

3. If JW and JC had stayed fit he wouldn't be going back. Chelsea need him to learn and , with all due respect, he isn't learning from playing with Deji.

4. If he goes West Brom, Chelsea will get 1-2M just for the loan as it seals them promotion. If he goes Swansea then he gets to play with England youth coach as his manager and Rhian Brewster to thread through balls to.

Whilst I loved watching this kwolity baller play, its not the end of the world. JC and JW coming back will more than compensate. JW fit runs rings round any attacking midfielder, he runs rings around a 19 year old CG.

We need another body in midfield to cover JC but either JW or Otzumer can fill the CG role, which is a creative midfielder.

Good luck Connor, u were mint for us

I think you're spot on with this.  Chelsea loaned Gallagher in the expectation that he would play every week and play alongside senior pros who will help him develop his game.  With Charlton's midfield decimated by injury Gallagher has been playing alongside the likes of Doughty, Dempsey, Morgan and Vennings.  No disrespect to those players, Doughty in particular looks an excellent prospect, but there is no denying they are boys that have had to be thrown in to the team before they are truly ready.  Is that what Chelsea signed up for?  They'd want Gallagher playing with experienced players like Pratley, and internationals like Williams and Cullen.  That hasn't been the case recently.  Not winning for 12 weeks in a row is a valuable gut check that Gallagher won't get playing in the Chelsea youth team, but perhaps Chelsea have seen enough.

There's absolutely no doubt that Gallagher has improved by playing at Charlton and teams like Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal are now very well aware of what a spell at Charlton can do for their players.  I think we should be taking the long view on this.  Our chances of getting more and better loans from Premier League clubs will have improved considering how well the likes of Bielik, Cullen and Gallagher have done.  With a less tight-fisted ownership prepared to make a bigger contribution to loan costs we should be be able to get more top young players in the next few years.

I'm sad to see Gallagher go this early but it's not like Charlton never lost its best players before.  I wish him all the very best. He's a quality player and from his kind words on Charlton, clearly a quality young man too. 
    Yes because I am fairly certain that when we signed him on loan we did not have Williams, Cullen, Field, Leko, Greene, Kayal or Oztumer in the squad.

so we had Pratley, Aneke and the kids.  Unless Chelsea are pulling him because he has not had enough game time with Aneke?

I don't know the timescales of signings in the summer but Charlton must have convinced Chelsea of the squad they expected to have and the worth of Gallagher playing at Charlton, particularly with the reportedly low contribution Charlton were making to Gallagher's wages.  It appears that having seen who has been in the teams in recent weeks Chelsea have reconsidered. 
    The gaping great hole in your argument is that the Chelsea Loan Technical Director or whatever title goes with his 200k a year salary must also be aware that those senior players which were signed and so met with his approval early on, are now all coming back, and  furthermore that the new ownership are promising further strengthening. How would the Loan Technical Director not know all this if he has been visiting Sparrows Lane? And even if he hasn't, why didn't he just discuss his concerns with Bowyer? Clearly he did not do that.
  • Lee Bowyer: "I’m disappointed. I didn’t see this coming if I’m honest which makes it harder to take. He’s a great talent to work with and I wish him all the best for his future."

• Sponsored links:

• Matt Southall Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC

All the best for the future Conor. Now back to work ...... deals pending

• March is going to be a bit depressing when looking at the Charlton Calendar 
  • Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Without either of their support, we wouldn't even know his name. They have done us a favour.

If you were Chelsea and you watched that Derby game , you would move Connor to another team for the following footballing reasons 

2. CG has been the only player in the last 2 months who has been trying to play triangles and get pass and move going. Because you cant do this on your own, he has gone backwards slightly as trying to to do too much. 

3. If JW and JC had stayed fit he wouldn't be going back. Chelsea need him to learn and , with all due respect, he isn't learning from playing with Deji.

4. If he goes West Brom, Chelsea will get 1-2M just for the loan as it seals them promotion. If he goes Swansea then he gets to play with England youth coach as his manager and Rhian Brewster to thread through balls to.

Whilst I loved watching this kwolity baller play, its not the end of the world. JC and JW coming back will more than compensate. JW fit runs rings round any attacking midfielder, he runs rings around a 19 year old CG.

We need another body in midfield to cover JC but either JW or Otzumer can fill the CG role, which is a creative midfielder.

I think you're spot on with this.  Chelsea loaned Gallagher in the expectation that he would play every week and play alongside senior pros who will help him develop his game.  With Charlton's midfield decimated by injury Gallagher has been playing alongside the likes of Doughty, Dempsey, Morgan and Vennings.  No disrespect to those players, Doughty in particular looks an excellent prospect, but there is no denying they are boys that have had to be thrown in to the team before they are truly ready.  Is that what Chelsea signed up for?  They'd want Gallagher playing with experienced players like Pratley, and internationals like Williams and Cullen.  That hasn't been the case recently.  Not winning for 12 weeks in a row is a valuable gut check that Gallagher won't get playing in the Chelsea youth team, but perhaps Chelsea have seen enough.

There's absolutely no doubt that Gallagher has improved by playing at Charlton and teams like Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal are now very well aware of what a spell at Charlton can do for their players.  I think we should be taking the long view on this.  Our chances of getting more and better loans from Premier League clubs will have improved considering how well the likes of Bielik, Cullen and Gallagher have done.  With a less tight-fisted ownership prepared to make a bigger contribution to loan costs we should be be able to get more top young players in the next few years.

I'm sad to see Gallagher go this early but it's not like Charlton never lost its best players before.  I wish him all the very best. He's a quality player and from his kind words on Charlton, clearly a quality young man too. 
    Yes because I am fairly certain that when we signed him on loan we did not have Williams, Cullen, Field, Leko, Greene, Kayal or Oztumer in the squad.

so we had Pratley, Aneke and the kids.  Unless Chelsea are pulling him because he has not had enough game time with Aneke?

I don't know the timescales of signings in the summer but Charlton must have convinced Chelsea of the squad they expected to have and the worth of Gallagher playing at Charlton, particularly with the reportedly low contribution Charlton were making to Gallagher's wages.  It appears that having seen who has been in the teams in recent weeks Chelsea have reconsidered. 
    But that would mean at a time, a couple of weeks before the season started, with no squad, an owner well known to have lost interest and not be putting money in whilst he looked to sell, having narrowly missed out on Morris to Fleetwood because they could pay higher wages than us, having lost Aribo to Rangers for free because they could pay higher wages, lost Bauer to Preston as they were paying higher wages and having asked Chelsea to sub their 19 year olds wages so we could borrow him; Gallen and Bowyer also convinced Chelsea he was going to a club with a decent squad capable of more than mediocrity and backs to the wall performances.  Now I could not rate Bowyer and Gallen more highly but that seems a stretch to me.  Chelsea knew our issues when they loaned him to us and would have done so because we guaranteed game time.  We have fulfilled our end of that bargain.  They have screwed us.
    And yet Gallen and Bowyer still convinced Chelsea it was worthwhile for Gallagher to be at Charlton and Chelsea made it clear that they were happy with his progress.

If a loan agreement has a recall clause, you have to consider the possibility that it will be exercised and plan accordingly.  I'm not saying it's OK that Chelsea gave every indication Gallagher would be here all season and have now changed their minds, but he is their player and in the final analysis they only care about Gallagher, not Charlton nor any other club they loan their players to.  I can't believe I'm sort of defending Chelsea, but football is a harsh business and Chelsea aren't a charity.  As Bowyer would say, "It is what it is."  Charlton just have to deal with it and make good use of the next two weeks of transfer window.
  • Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

The gaping great hole in your argument is that the Chelsea Loan Technical Director or whatever title goes with his 200k a year salary must also be aware that those senior players which were signed and so met with his approval early on, are now all coming back, and  furthermore that the new ownership are promising further strengthening. How would the Loan Technical Director not know all this if he has been visiting Sparrows Lane? And even if he hasn't, why didn't he just discuss his concerns with Bowyer? Clearly he did not do that.

None of us were party to the discussions that went on between Chelsea and Charlton so this is all supposition from the outside looking at events as they transpired.  My estimation is that Chelsea don't want Gallagher playing alongside U23 players, and now they've had offers that they consider better than Charlton's.  I think I would be more surprised if Chelsea acted honourably rather than carrying on like the shady outfit they've been for years.
  • Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

This is about money, I’m sure of it. I think everyone, Chelsea included, were surprised by just how well Gallagher has performed. I suspect one of the reasons we were able to get him cheaply, in terms of proportion of wages paid, is that they thought we were getting a player with potential but a long way off the finished article. A few months later and he’s a candidate for EFL young player of the year and has shown himself to be much closer to the finished article than expected. His value, in this case in terms of loan fee, has sky rocketed. He’ll be back out on loan somewhere by the end of the window and it’ll be to whichever club bids the most. It’s all part of their business model. I’m sure they have an eye on him making their first team but they will be exploiting his revenue generating potential as much as possible in the meantime. I dare say if we were willing to match any such bid he might be allowed back to us, but seems that bridge has probably been burnt, and I’m not against that. 

Beggars sometimes can’t be choosers, but we need to start doing loan deals that prevent clubs recalling a player and then sending them elsewhere, so they can only go back to play for their parent club. 

It's perhaps something the FA should look at as well, though of course with the Premier League clubs pulling the strings, I doubt anything will change.

Once a player is recalled mid-contract he should only be allowed play for the parent club unless transferred on a permanent deal. If this means more loan contracts for half a season are seen the so be it but if it's known about then clubs can plan accordingly and not be left with problems in replacing a player that may be an integral part of the squad. Of course the player could be allowed to return to the original loan club.

I know we've been beneficiaries of the existing arrangement (Purrington) but it does leave a nasty taste when the boot is on the other foot.
  • edited January 2020
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

This is about money, I’m sure of it. I think everyone, Chelsea included, were surprised by just how well Gallagher has performed. I suspect one of the reasons we were able to get him cheaply, in terms of proportion of wages paid, is that they thought we were getting a player with potential but a long way off the finished article. A few months later and he’s a candidate for EFL young player of the year and has shown himself to be much closer to the finished article than expected. His value, in this case in terms of loan fee, has sky rocketed. He’ll be back out on loan somewhere by the end of the window and it’ll be to whichever club bids the most. It’s all part of their business model. I’m sure they have an eye on him making their first team but they will be exploiting his revenue generating potential as much as possible in the meantime. I dare say if we were willing to match any such bid he might be allowed back to us, but seems that bridge has probably been burnt, and I’m not against that. 

Beggars sometimes can’t be choosers, but we need to start doing loan deals that prevent clubs recalling a player and then sending them elsewhere, so they can only go back to play for their parent club. 

It's perhaps something the FA should look at as well, though of course with the Premier League clubs pulling the strings, I doubt anything will change.

Once a player is recalled mid-contract he should only be allowed play for the parent club unless transferred on a permanent deal. If this means more loan contracts for half a season are seen the so be it but if it's known about then clubs can plan accordingly and not be left with problems in replacing a player that may be an integral part of the squad. Of course the player could be allowed to return to the original loan club.

I know we've been beneficiaries of the existing arrangement (Purrington) but it does leave a nasty taste when the boot is on the other foot.
    But clubs usually have recall options just incase the player isn't playing at the loan club. (Or else they have injuries but unlikely in Chelsea's case).

This is a bizarre case where the player was playing every game and almost playing too well so they've recalled him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

Or at the mutual agreement of the club from which he was recalled, particularly if its to a club in the same division. For example Andre Green (let’s not forget we’ve also benefited from a player being recalled and loaned out again this window) - not playing at Preston so sent somewhere he will get games. In Connor’s case, except for a few more rest weeks on the bench, he’s not going to personally gain anything being sent to Swansea vs staying at Charlton, he was already getting lots of experience here and in the same division. 
  • Charlton are in a very different shape to what we were at the start of the season, chelsea are within there rights to protect there assets. It’s the problem and will always be the problem with loans. 
  • Chunes said:
    Missed It said:
    Missed It said:

But clubs usually have recall options just incase the player isn't playing at the loan club. (Or else they have injuries but unlikely in Chelsea's case).

This is a bizarre case where the player was playing every game and almost playing too well so they've recalled him. 
    But now playing fundamentally with players who are learning from him rather than him learning from them in a side that, once again, has won one of the last 16 with not a chance of being rested. And there is no guarantee whatsoever that is going to change so they had to make a decision on deadline day.

We've recently recalled players from lower League clubs and have had our reasons for doing so. Our reasons are no more valid than that of Chelsea simply because Gallagher isn't our player. And if Gallagher had turned out a dud then he wouldn't have played for us and not one of us would have spent a nano second worrying about him or Chelsea. 

• edited January 2020
    Scoham said:

So they pull him, just as those better players are returning?!

I think it's a bit of guess work by that page.
  • No they've pulled him because of the last 15 games he hasn't played with them but inferior players that they don't feel are benefiting his learning curve 
  • Oh well, there you have it.