Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No more Flares.

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Flares work on the continent because in the main they’re in a section filled with 95% young males. Doesn’t work when there are kids and older folk about. The English game just doesn’t fit the ‘ultra’ terrace atmosphere.
    Sounds like a detonator type thing to me. The type that nearly blew @ElfsborgAddick out of his seat at Sparta when they let one off to announce the start of their demo, where they all walked out en masse on 75 minutes, protesting the owner. When I say all, I mean just the "ultras" from their designated section. We were a long way from there, so if that was the same kind of thing yesterday, that is seriously out of order.

I'm always arguing with my Sparta neighbour Vincent about the flares, I see them as a poor substitute for real vocal support, but he sees it as part of the theatre, and @ValleyGary is right, they are only in that part of the ground where the "ultras" are. That said, they are supposed to be banned here, and yet for all the security at Sparta they mysteriously never seem to find them. 

The other thing is that they often lob them onto the pitch when things aren't going well. That isn't very bright either, as the smoke affects players. Yes, including your team's players.
    So fans on the continent throw these flares and bangers at each other do they?.

That's not what I said, and certainly not what I took from ValleyGary' s comment either.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Flares work on the continent because in the main they’re in a section filled with 95% young males. Doesn’t work when there are kids and older folk about. The English game just doesn’t fit the ‘ultra’ terrace atmosphere.
    Sounds like a detonator type thing to me. The type that nearly blew @ElfsborgAddick out of his seat at Sparta when they let one off to announce the start of their demo, where they all walked out en masse on 75 minutes, protesting the owner. When I say all, I mean just the "ultras" from their designated section. We were a long way from there, so if that was the same kind of thing yesterday, that is seriously out of order.

I'm always arguing with my Sparta neighbour Vincent about the flares, I see them as a poor substitute for real vocal support, but he sees it as part of the theatre, and @ValleyGary is right, they are only in that part of the ground where the "ultras" are. That said, they are supposed to be banned here, and yet for all the security at Sparta they mysteriously never seem to find them. 

The other thing is that they often lob them onto the pitch when things aren't going well. That isn't very bright either, as the smoke affects players. Yes, including your team's players.

That's not what I said, and certainly not what I took from ValleyGary' s comment either.
    Can’t even be bothered to entertain it. Clear as day what I meant, least you got it Prague.
  • Options
    Perhaps replace the flares with stink bombs. 😉
  • Options
    Community rule to eliminate flares

Collectively strip whoever threw it, get hold of his phone, take a pic and upload to whatever social media apps exist on the phone. Sorted?
  • Options
    I was considering thé possibility of an away game with my two boys later in thé season. Certainly won't if this happens again.
    Don't let it put you off,98% of away games go off without incident. Always going to be larger following for the first away of the season.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    clb74 said:

Can’t even be bothered to entertain it. Clear as day what I meant, least you got it Prague.
    So did I Valley Gary, and you are 100% correct with your words about Mainland Europe.
    My son being a Red Star Belgrade supporter as well as a Cafc supporter has seen enough flares and heard enough bangers 
    to last him a lifetime( he normally films from a safe distance when ever possible and has thousands of hits on you tube. He only films the crowd after being warned about copyright issues if he shows the action on the field when at a Champions League game)

In Serbia and Germany to name just 2 countries you have a mainly 15 to 35 demographic who are sectioned off from the rest of the fans and go crazy at times with a colourful Pyrotechnic show.

My son was at the back of the stand on Saturday and said the Banger going off was so random as play was halted at the time and no one in his section saw or had a clue where it came from ? 

Not sure how bright or clever young guys who hide flares and bangers in their pants are ?  A different type of transition I would imagine if a premature ignition takes place.
    Sorry for sounding pedantic sb, but it wasn’t a banger......it was a Thunder Flash, which are way more powerful than what is commonly known as a domestic ‘fireworks banger’.
    I believe the military (SAS) use them, in conjunction with stun grenades......so definitely not a commonal garden banger.
  • Options
    Whatever it was some youth need to learn let that be a stop now.

most people like the pyro stuff I get that but if you are prepared to take it with you either man up and be accountable for it, or only use it when it can be safe (ie. easily onto the pitch).

Too many times last few years it’s just set off and then lobbed into an inappropriate area of fellow fans, and then not one f*ck given for who it may impact, normally fellow fans with kids

glad @boogica lad was ok. He wasn’t the only one impacted by this. Whoever is responsible for that stuff I hope you learn from it and reel it in. One day with a cowardly lob you’ll impact the wrong person and then regret it then. 

Our away support is building nicely and don’t need bangers and shit with it
    Agree, but you can’t beat bangers mate.

Especially with mash/chips and baked beans!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it ok to wave my Roman candle during a game?
  • Options
    Not got an issue with the smoke ones but the proper flares are a danger. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Is it ok to wave my Roman candle during a game?

Would anyone notice? LOL
  • Options
    Good point addick05.
  • Options
    Isn't pretty much everywhere in a stadium filmed these days?

Surely they can go over CCTV footage and identify who threw it?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Not got an issue with the smoke ones but the proper flares are a danger. 
    The problem is I’m guessing the idiots that are stupid enough to throw a banger (or whatever it was) into their own supporters probably wouldn’t know one from the other. 

I actually quite like the ones that emit non-toxic smoke but I think enough is enough now when we have children requiring medical assistance. 
  • Options
    Whoever threw it needs a slap.

Not that i am condoning violence at all........

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Whoever threw it needs a slap.

Not that i am condoning violence at all........

Now where are those Doc Martens?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    clb74 said:

So did I Valley Gary, and you are 100% correct with your words about Mainland Europe.
    My son being a Red Star Belgrade supporter as well as a Cafc supporter has seen enough flares and heard enough bangers 
    to last him a lifetime( he normally films from a safe distance when ever possible and has thousands of hits on you tube. He only films the crowd after being warned about copyright issues if he shows the action on the field when at a Champions League game)

In Serbia and Germany to name just 2 countries you have a mainly 15 to 35 demographic who are sectioned off from the rest of the fans and go crazy at times with a colourful Pyrotechnic show.

My son was at the back of the stand on Saturday and said the Banger going off was so random as play was halted at the time and no one in his section saw or had a clue where it came from ? 

Not sure how bright or clever young guys who hide flares and bangers in their pants are ?  A different type of transition I would imagine if a premature ignition takes place.
    Sorry for sounding pedantic sb, but it wasn’t a banger......it was a Thunder Flash, which are way more powerful than what is commonly known as a domestic ‘fireworks banger’.
    I believe the military (SAS) use them, in conjunction with stun grenades......so definitely not a commonal garden banger.
    I saw you call it a thunder flash and you could be right but a banger is a generic name and like Nug and other on here I saw a 14 year old who lived near me when I was 12 and seeing a hand with only two fingers  after he picked up a banger that failed to go off but ignited in his hand left an image in my mind.

Crass and dangerous and even our fans with half a brain should see that thunder flash/bangers have no place in English grounds.

• Options
    I was considering thé possibility of an away game with my two boys later in thé season. Certainly won't if this happens again.

Millwall maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't pretty much everywhere in a stadium filmed these days?

Surely they can go over CCTV footage and identify who threw it?
    Had this thought after the bang went on Saturday.  Looked for cameras after the incident but couldn't see any in the away end
  • Options
    Exploded a few rows in front of me and the knob who threw it should take a good look at himself.  If watching Charlton is boring for him, and he likes the excitement from frightening children and old people, why doesn't he toss one into his gran's living room while she's watching telly, best effect if her grandchildren are there too.
  • Options
    Passionate fans, encourage the youth, enhance the 'atmosphere,'  blah, blah, blah

or thick, irresponsible, dangerous menace of a scumbag who should face a ban.

I know what I think but I suspect we split down the middle on this one.
  • Options
    I think we are beyond a discussion of the pros and cons of atmosphere on this one. People must know who did this. He needs to be caught and stopped. I do not fancy being in a crowd where this could happen again.
  • Options
    Letting off some coloured smoke, or singing a lot. Which makes for a better atmosphere? 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Passionate fans, encourage the youth, enhance the 'atmosphere,'  blah, blah, blah

What on this thread makes you think the response is 'split down the middle' ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

On reading the whole thread again I must admit not too much on this particular thread.

Elsewhere on the forum, I'm not going to try and find them, there are plenty of posts justifying smoke bombs and flares which is why I opined that, as a forum, we probably split down the middle.
  • Options
    No doubt we'll be seeing some thrown from North Upper on Saturday.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

There would definitely be a large number of the actual away following (and not just forum members) who would encourage their use.

I'm not against smoke bombs but, like others have said, don't really see the need.
  • Options
    how many games last season did a fellow fan get injured from flare/smoke/banger throwing? yes its well out of line but lets not pretend that every game is like this. 

this season the 1st away would always attract a certain crowd, as will i imagine 

fulham, millwall, brentford and qpr.