Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Cullen - gone to Burnley, July 2022 (p24)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Amazing to think a team with Cullen, Aribo, Beilik, Bauer, Phillips, Taylor and Grant (half a season) need play offs to go up from L1.  So glad they did though.  What a day!
    Keeping Grant or replacing him with a goalscorer would likely have seen us go up automatically, we weren’t far off in the end.

The younger players on that list also improved as the season went on.
    Not to mention they are far better players now than they were then. Especially in the case of that midfield.
  • Options
    Just googled Cullen and found reports of him being tracked by Southampton, Wolves, Norwich, Leeds, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United and ... West Ham United!  He must be doing something right.

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-eye-shock-move-to-bring-josh-cullen-back-to-the-london-stadium/
  • Options
    Amazing to think a team with Cullen, Aribo, Beilik, Bauer, Phillips, Taylor and Grant (half a season) need play offs to go up from L1.  So glad they did though.  What a day!
    This is what a Thomas and co need to realise, you are not going to get out of this league with kids and injury prone players, you need quality and bucket loads of it.
     Cant agree. I don't remember their actual birth dates but I think:

Phillips was 22/23
    Dijksteel was 21/22
    Bielik was 20/21
    Bauer was 25/26
    Sarr was 25/26
    Purrington was 21/22
    Pratley was 32/33
    Cullen was 21/22
    Aribo was 21/22
    Taylor was 28/29
    Grant was 20/21 (Parker played in the second half the season, I am certain if Grant had stayed, we would have won the league that season)

We had some experience mainly on the bench but these players (Grant aside) were our starters for the final. 

Our experience was dropped in sporadically that season and were inconsistent. 

We also had Parker, Pearce, Solly, Williams, JFC, Reeves, Lapslie and Maxwell on the bench that day.
  • Options
    Now gone to Burnley  :'(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm delighted he was able to declare for Ireland. Such a likeable pro, always turns up and will keep going to the end. One of our best players too (although that's not saying much) 

• Options
    He was the nearest we ever got to Parker, and they don’t come along very often. 
    He was good but a million miles from Scott Parker.
    Matt Holland might be a better comparison
  • Options
    West Ham got rid of someone who could already have stepped into Mark Noble’s shoes for them, I hope he goes on to prove he is Premier League quality at least (I’m 90% certain he will)
    Well he won't unless Burnley go up...
  • Options
    He was the nearest we ever got to Parker, and they don’t come along very often. 
    He was good but a million miles from Scott Parker.
    Matt Holland might be a better comparison
    This might sound crass because he was playing at a lower level but I think Cullen had a lot more than Holland 
  • Options
    In terms of usefulness to Charlton, Cullen gets my vote over Holland. 

• Options
    Imagine he’ll relish working for Vincent Company.
  • Options
    Imagine he’ll relish working for Vincent Company.
    It was Kompany who took him to Anderlecht in the first place
  • Options
    Good signing by Burnley. Cullen will keep them competitive in the middle of the park which is something Matt Holland failed to do when we got relegated from the Premier League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That season we were overrun every time we tried to play two in the middle. It wasn't just when Andy Reid was Holland's partner either. 
  • Options
    Good signing by Burnley. Cullen will keep them competitive in the middle of the park which is something Matt Holland failed to do when we got relegated from the Premier League.
    Holland was POTY in 2008, the first season down from the Championship so our failings weren't HIS fault. And he was nearing the end of his career by then
    shame about the following season. he was 34 at the time.

Surprisingly had a look at the stats for that season and apart from Nicky Bailey (43 starting appearances),Mark Hudson (captain 43 app) kelly Youga (32) no other players started a match more than 30 times throughout that campaign. Most barely making 20 starts. 

https://fbref.com/en/squads/7a8db6d4/2008-2009/Charlton-Athletic-Stats
  • Options
    canny signing by Kompany .. we all know what an effective, hard working midfielder he is
  • Options
    Holland was POTY in 2008, the first season down from the Championship so our failings weren't HIS fault. And he was nearing the end of his career by then
    I don’t really know how he won that . I though we were much better before he came back into the side 
  • Options
    Cullen was excellent for us. Dobson is more like him than Scottie.
  • Options
    Good luck Josh. You deserve it.
  • Options
    Still as good as ever. 
  • Options
    Still as good as ever. 
    Looks better now in the Championship, than when he was with us

But then he's surrounded by better players