Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Cullen - gone to Burnley, July 2022 (p24)

Comments

• Options
    We've sold bonne for more than they've sold Cullen.... 🤯
    If only we didnt have to worry about the salary cap!!
  • Options
    MattF said:
    100% we could have paid that in The Championship what could have been

Also he will be sold back to England for £10M plus in a couple of years time

We could pay that now. There is no cap on fees paid.
  • Options
    Baffled if the fee is only £800k why Championship clubs haven't come in for him with a £1m bid
  • Options
    Hope he doesn't disappear without trace over there.
  • Options
    Surely we could afford that ? Maybe sign him on lower wages with a bump when we get promoted. 
  • Options
    Hope he doesn't disappear without trace over there.
    If he does, Bowyer will want to bring him back.

• Options
    Not for seven million
    If Luton can pay 7mil, so could we if in the same position. 2.5/3mil upfront and a dick load of ad ons. You ain't getting to the Premium League on freebies. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Surely we could afford that ? Maybe sign him on lower wages with a bump when we get promoted. 

I think for the player that's just too much a risk if they don't get promoted and lose some of their market value in the meantime 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    No way would he sign for us in L1, even if we could afford his wages
  • Options
    Too low. selling overseas? A development fee or maybe something in his contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £800,000 down and £50,000 every game he plays + £50,000 every time he plays for Ireland. 20% sell on fee.....................Would this sound better, unfortunately it is not true, no more than the £7m fee that was talked about  :)
  • Options
    Surely has to be more to it than we see. Can’t believe West Ham were that keen to get him out the club that they’d accept such a small amount. Absolute bargain for Anderlecht. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Compared to this Bonne was either heavily overpriced or Cullen very heavily under priced 
  • Options
    Viewfinder said: 
    Cullen is vastly overrated by folk on this forum.  I watched every home game he played - he wasn't strong in the tackle, was frequently brushed aside by opponents, and his passing was often wayward.  He would not get in to most Championship teams - which is why he has gone to Belgium for a tenth of the fee many Lifers laughably believe he is worth.
    Yes that’s right your opinion is correct and the majority of others is laughable. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    MattF said:
    Compared to this Bonne was either heavily overpriced or Cullen very heavily under priced 
    Bonne is a striker with a 1 in 3 record for a poor Championship team, on the way up with rawness managers will think they can train out of him.  Spend £2M and hope to improve him, still young at 24.

Cullen is a Championship quality midfielder who's size will sadly hold him back.  He has played many more games and less raw so managers will see him as more difficult to improve and get more value from I suspect.

Neither fee surprises me in the slightest.  I tend to agree with @Viewfinder that Cullen is overrated by many on here, albeit I think he is a very good player and am sad we were not able to bring him back.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Size won't matter if the team is setup where Cullen plays deeper, or the midfield competes compact and centrally.  Unfortunately the PL rarely accomodates this past the top few teams.

£800,000 makes you weep for the quality lost from our 18/19 season.  Bravo to Josh if he goes to Anderlecht.  There's no comparison between Anderlecht to QPR or Luton even in the PL.  He's at a team that teams across Europe will very actively watch.  If he get's in the team, after lockdown I'll be happy to trott off to Lotto park to see him.

• Options
    He was another one that wasn’t brilliant in those last 9 games . 
    Good solid pro and as with most of our players , overrated 
    I mean with all the Championship quality players we had why were we sooooo shit when our manager’s  amazing too . 
    I think the managers better than the majority of the  players we had .
  • Options
    He was shit. Dodged a bullet. Pony Dutch club. Stealing a living. New players coming in before Friday. Done deal.
  • Options
    He was another one that wasn’t brilliant in those last 9 games . 
    Good solid pro and as with most of our players , overrated 
    I mean with all the Championship quality players we had why were we sooooo shit when our manager’s  amazing too . 
    I think the managers better than the majority of the  players we had .
    Context though, Ooaah ...... Cullen looked the biz when he had decent players around him looking for the pass and move stuff, who'd show for the ball - Bielik, Aribo, Taylor, Grant, Williams, Gallagher, etc

He had Lapslie, JFC, Pratley, Bonne & Co with him for those last 9 games.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    £800k seems a snip to me, but then to me he's a tidy midfielder for a Championship side rather than an obviously PL quality player
  • Options
    Reckon we could have got him if we stayed up... He's worth 4-5 times that imo
  • Options
    I’m sure he hasn’t gone for £800K (won’t be £7M though), if he has then Anderlecht have got the bargain of the summer. 
  • Options
    Viewfinder said: 
    Cullen is vastly overrated by folk on this forum.  I watched every home game he played - he wasn't strong in the tackle, was frequently brushed aside by opponents, and his passing was often wayward.  He would not get in to most Championship teams - which is why he has gone to Belgium for a tenth of the fee many Lifers laughably believe he is worth.
    Yes that’s right your opinion is correct and the majority of others is laughable. 
    I'd like to comment but only seen him play 2 or 3 times.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We've sold bonne for more than they've sold Cullen.... 🤯

It's probably easier to find someone who breaks up attacks but doesn't do much at the other end of the park (one goal and two assists last season) as opposed to someone who makes a tangible difference like Bonne (11 goals and two assists). Diego Poyet was our player of the year but never scored a single goal and I struggle to recall too many assists and where is he now?

Kante, who is the best example of what a defensive midfielder does at the very top, with 19 lifetime goals and 17 assists will never command the same sort of fee as the best in the opposing penalty box such as a Kane. The former breaks up play and is a vital cog in the team but there will always be more of a premium for someone more creative.

And if people doubt this why Bonne cost more, why are we are finding it so difficult to replace him?
  • Options
    Wish Cullen all the best I hope it reignites his career, agree those last 9 games for us were not his best but football & players are going through strange Covid times. That cross and how he worked the opening to allow him to cross @ Wembley 2019 was class so there’s a damn fine player there & as stated I wish him all the best, shall watch from afar with interest. 
  • Options
    800k can't be right.

Are Gold and Sullivan trying to fiddle the books or something? Should be at least 2-3m, although he was out of contract next summer i believe.
  • Options
    This has upset me a lot. Just hope he doesn't rot aboard. Only if our wage cap wasn't an issue, we would of had him in a heart beat, even if we are in League one, I'm sure Josh would of still come to us
  • Options
    Suspect a big sell on clause, but the salary cap is going to be a problem attracting players out of the Premier League and Championship. 

I suspect there are ways around it, and it will be exploited 
  • Options
    Are people really surprised that Cullen's gone for less than Bonne? Bonne was a first team player for Charlton who we couldn't afford to let go unless we got an offer that was too good for us to say no. Cullen is a player that West Ham don't fancy, are probably a bit sick of loaning out and would rather not lose for free next summer. Getting him shifted, off the wage bill and out with a sell on suits West Ham nicely, it's as much a win for them as it is for Anderlecht. Much like how Palace paid up Williams' contract so he could sign for us on a free, sometimes it's better just to wave off a player you don't need on the cheap and let them get on with their careers.