Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley v Charlton | Sat 17 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    Prately gets better each week. Good battling performance, Barnsley are a decent team. Impressed with the Barnsley LB.
    Win one of the two home games and 10 from first 5 fantastic return.
    Bollocks to that. I want 4 points minimum.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    On the way home now. Good performance against a strong side who are unbeaten at home in 17 months for a good reason. Draw was the fair result.

We definitely look more potent with both Aneke and Taylor on the pitch. 

Jonny Williams is great fun to watch. Conor Gallagher looked even better this week than he did last week - he’s going to be one hell of a player.

Charlton fans were great throughout. Oshilaja loves his vodka and jäger apparently......
    And has a big head 👍
  • Options
    Not been convinced by Lockyer yet
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I thought the penalty was soft, Gallagher had already passed the ball when he got hit. If it had happened to us I think we would have been pissed off.
    Defence is definitely an issue, on the other hand with Oztumer and Kayal there look to be lots of midfield options. If we can stay unbeaten for 5-6 games we could settle into this division and have a reasonable season.
    A big threat will be Taylor going in January if he does not sign a new contract soon.
    Off the ball foul then. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Redskin said:
    Result tarnished knowing that the scum won.....with stats of 3 shots to Sheff Wed's 21. 

Wednesday evening is going to be tough with Forest winning 3-0 today. Would like to see Sarr come in for Lockyer. 
    No, it isn't.
    It is in his miserable world. Leave him to wallow in his own pus.
    Steady on there. That is off ( it).
  • Options
    It's also a decent swing on losing there last time, although I expect another big battle with them at The Valley.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Wednesday evening is going to be tough with Forest winning 3-0 today. Would like to see Sarr come in for Lockyer. 
    Sarr is left footed and so is Pearce.

Should Pearce get injured, Sarr steps straight in.

Bowyer won't play Pearce and Sarr together unless there's no other real option.
    He could pick another right footed CB to play along side Pearce though ..... but Lockyer is doing a reasonably sound job at the moment , no need to change.

And CB partnerships only get better by playing more games together.

Many central defensive pairings are right footed. Doesnt seem to be a problem there.
  • Options
    Prately gets better each week. Good battling performance, Barnsley are a decent team. Impressed with the Barnsley LB.
    Win one of the two home games and 10 from first 5 fantastic return.
    Bollocks to that. I want 4 points minimum.
    With your record at home I'd had thought 3 points from the 2 games would be more than satisfactory.......
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Not been convinced by Lockyer yet
    Me neither, but it appears he can't he dropped because he is right footed. 
  • Options
    Wrong. Last 4 games : 3 wins and 1 draw. Ernesto has never seen us lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chuffed. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

He could pick another right footed CB to play along side Pearce though ..... but Lockyer is doing a reasonably sound job at the moment , no need to change.

Many central defensive pairings are right footed. Doesnt seem to be a problem there.
    Yeah, maybe ...... but not at Charlton right now. I try to pay attention to what Bowyer says - and what I posted is based on what the manager has said from time to time.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

I liked this comment because it's true, however I'm not sure Sarr will fare very well on the right side where, presumably, he will need even more time to think what to do in possession. Also if Pearce were to play right side, I think he may lose a bit from his game. Probably only something to be used if no other option.
  • Options
    Only watched 2nd half so can’t do the Players Marks thread but highlights from what I saw;
    Williams - oozing class and ride challenges better 
    Pratley - industrious. A real presence in front of defence 
    Gallagher - Youthful exuberance in abundance 
    Ohsilaja - thought he did well
    Phillips - distribution so much better. The instant control and clearance from a bumpy back pass was a particular highlight 

thought we we looked decent with an attacking threat. The game was played at blistering pace
  • Options
    I'm pleased with that. We can play better but tough place to get points as Fulham found out. Perspective I guess. 7 points out of 9. Early days but we will also improve. Good spirit to come back twice and I thought we had the quality in Williams, Gallagher and Cullen to get something at the end. Pratley has certainly stepped up. I hate but love Taylor's penalties! Looking forward to Forest. Another real test of where we are. COYR.
  • Options
    Umpiring in Barnsley. 
    The level of persecution I got in the bar afterwards was immense. Two fellas who were at the game were wittering about Jonnie Williams. Was he involved in a contentious incident? I’m waiting for highlights on Quest to find out. 
    Well done the boys. Great result. 
  • Options
    Wrong. Last 4 games : 3 wins and 1 draw. Ernesto has never seen us lose.
          Are they all at home, or does that include Wembley...??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was noticeable that none of the Barnsley players.....apart from one....hardly disputed the penalty.
    I would also like to add that Dillon Philips distribution today was spot on, completely faultless in fact, he had a good game but was comprehensively beaten by two well placed shots that he could do absolutely nothing about.
    Their first goal was simply an unstoppable shot.....that’s two seasons running they have scored against us at Oakwell as a result of two stunning shots, both from outside the box.

• Options
    Was noticeable that none of the Barnsley players.....apart from one....hardly disputed the penalty.
    I would also like to add that Dillon Philips distribution today was spot on, completely faultless in fact, he had a good game but was comprehensively beaten by two well placed shots that he could do absolutely nothing about.
    Their first goal was simply an unstoppable shot.....that’s two seasons running they have scored against us at Oakwell as a result of two stunning shots, both from outside the box.

I felt both were avoidable though. Bad clearance and backing off.

I'm a bit gutted actually, I think we had the chances and should've taken the 3.

Decent day out but nightmare journey on trains.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    7 points down, 43 to go 
    43 draws from 43 matches.
    The Championship invincibles.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Having just watched the highlights, that was unbelievable technique from the scorer of Barnsley's first - as Bowyer says, "unstoppable, you can't defend that".

Purrington's miss ...... he's done well to appear late at the post unmarked, but it's a difficult angle to hit a left footed shot - sometimes you have to bite the bullet and hit with your weaker foot; surely he would have scored with a right footer.

The 1st equaliser ..... Williams inside the box and being shepherded, no danger - sudden burst of pace to the line and squares back hard into the path of Gallagher. Brilliant by Williams, the chance created out of nothing.

Aneke's miss/save ..... again what wonderful awareness and wicked first time pass from Jonny Williams; it ripped open Barnsley's defence. Aneke was it a bit indesicive/slow to react and should have slotted home.

And that reckless challenge on Gallagher, so late and lunacy to attempt in the box.
    I should imagine his manager has had words!

Taylor's penalty ..... he might be calm and have nerves of steel - but you've only got to read Bowyer's postmatch comments to guess what he was thinking!

• Options
    WSS said:

I felt both were avoidable though. Bad clearance and backing off.

I'm a bit gutted actually, I think we had the chances and should've taken the 3.

Decent day out but nightmare journey on trains.
    Well WSS......you might just as well say every goal ever scored is/was preventable....shoulda, coulda, woulda.......in the words of Judge Judy.