Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley v Charlton | Sat 17 Aug 2019 | 3pm KO | POST-MATCH VIEWS

Comments

• Options
    Commentators were saying that the rules now state that if you go off with concussion you cant play for seven days

Its why we lost George Lapslie for a while after that Portsmouth game - So imagine Bowyer means that Chris will miss the Forest / Brentford clash and them hopefully be back after that
  • Options
    I guess at least it gives Bowyer a chance to see whether Oshilaja is capable of performing steadily at right back for a few games. If so then maybe Mears or whoever won't be needed after all. 
  • Options
    A good point - and fitting reward for LB in taking off Pratley for Bonne and going for it. Gamble on losing 3-1 v getting a point and it paid off.

Agree with @Davo55 that it is unheard of for both Cullen and Ben Purr to have sub-seven performances.

Deji did OK when he came on though not sure he is an out and out RB.

Central defence a work in progress, meaning Pratley goes up and up in our estimation week by week.

JW, JL and CG are all handfuls in their own way. And big Chuks gave them an awful lot to think about. 

Since Lyle completed my back heel goal challenge v Blackburn, I have now set him the task of an overhead kick. Think I saw a first attempt towards the end today? But I'm never going to call that penalty walk-up casual or cool. It is classy- long may it work. 

Up the Addicks!

• Options
    Defences that have been run ragged trying to keep up with Taylor's movement and Johnny W's vision and passing are going to be ripe for Aneke's introduction of physical threat later on, or Leko's pace if he is kept on the bench.
    Most Championship managers will probably suss out what is coming but not sure how many will be able to do much about it. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Well, full marks for resilience and very happy with a point, but we got a bit lucky with that today. Barnsley were both more physical and more skilful, playing the better football for much of the 90 minutes. We played the long ball far too much and ended up giving a battling display rather than the fluent football we have come to anticipate. It looked to be that Lee Bowyer's tactics didn't really work, or maybe it was that too many players had an off day. Certainly, Ben Purrington and Josh Cullen gave the worst performances I can remember from those two usually reliable stalwarts. It was a blow losing Chris Solly so early, even though he had already been given the run around, and although Deji Oshilaja did ok, I suspect that events may have pushed Lee Bowyer into stepping up the signing of another Right Back. Of all the others, I would say that only Jason Pearce, Darren Pratley, Gonor Gallagher and Lyle Taylor came out of the game having done themselves full justice. The rest were ok, but only ok.

Anyway, it's definitely a point gained. Unbeaten. 7 out of 9 points in the bag. On to Forest at home and aiming to hit double figures for points gained much earlier than most of us would have anticipated.
    Having seen the highlights, it's clear to me that I seriously under-estimated Jonny Williams' performance when I wrote this. It's true that he ran into some blind alleys and got dispossessed too often, but the things he did well were superb.
  • Options
    Long journey back to the south coast. Pleased to get a point as I don’t think we played well. Plenty of room for improvement but we give everything and I am always proud of the boys.

Another point towards our total to stay in the championship. Good trip all round.
  • Options
    Not much to add to the comments thus far and was only able to watch apprx 70% of the action with the Valley Pass coverage freezing at the most inappropriate times .....including Conor's goal and their 2nd after half time ! 

So, a couple of thoughts. 

Totally echo the praise of Darren P - he's been immense for us in all 3 games thus far, bless his heart. Takes no prisoners but trust him to always be there when needed. 

Thought Bow's substitutions were spot on & made at the right time - something that some previous managers have faced criticism about. The gaffer clearly thinks on his feet & reacts positively when things need changing time after time.

Due to Solly's injury ( another incident we missed here !) and later, tiring legs on the pitch, Bow was able to view more of the squad in what was a testing contest that went to the wire....and will have learned more about their ability to enter the field of play when called upon at short notice. I thought young Bonne looked particularly useful which augers well for the future. 

Finally, the Man in the Middle. When he took a knock & the physio took a close look in his mouth, I was fervently hoping that he might have swallowed his whistle. The Barnsley players, so physical when we were in possession, were oh so lightweight when challenged whilst the ref continued to indulge their "fraility"....Wonder what our management made of it. 

A very good point gained at Fortress Oakwell - what's not to like ? Well done to the lads and to the faithful that made the trip. But I will never enjoy watching us play from the comfort of my settee.....

......something our neighbours heartily agree with ! Sorry, guys ! 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    WSS said:
    Was noticeable that none of the Barnsley players.....apart from one....hardly disputed the penalty.
    I would also like to add that Dillon Philips distribution today was spot on, completely faultless in fact, he had a good game but was comprehensively beaten by two well placed shots that he could do absolutely nothing about.
    Their first goal was simply an unstoppable shot.....that’s two seasons running they have scored against us at Oakwell as a result of two stunning shots, both from outside the box.

I felt both were avoidable though. Bad clearance and backing off.

I'm a bit gutted actually, I think we had the chances and should've taken the 3.

Decent day out but nightmare journey on trains.
    2 of our group were travelling by train from London today, so interested to know what the problems were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wrong. Last 4 games : 3 wins and 1 draw. Ernesto has never seen us lose.
          Are they all at home, or does that include Wembley...??
    That includes Wembley. Last 5 games (Home and away) 3 wins , 2 draws
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    We were unlucky yet came away with a draw.
  • Options
    We’re grafting hard and getting the points 
    we’ll play better and get nothing I suspect as the season goes on .
    7 points is dreamland this early on .

Penalty was the sort of decision that goes for you when things are good ,  no one even appealed for it either .
    no one else has mentioned it but Taylor gets away with that Yoni Buyens style penalty today cos his standing foot slid as he struck the ball ,another day he does a John Terry (was it him who fluffed one slipping up ) .
    the footballing gods are with us , long may that continue .

i was at Lords yesterday and had a West Ham fan sat next to me , who had 2 Charlton sons and had been to Wembley for the play off final with his boys , he fancied us for a draw all the game whilst obviously negative me thought we’d lose.

dare I say it 4th bottom looks possible ....cue/queue run of 10 straight defeats 

• Options
    Southbank said:
    I thought the penalty was soft, Gallagher had already passed the ball when he got hit. If it had happened to us I think we would have been pissed off.
    Defence is definitely an issue, on the other hand with Oztumer and Kayal there look to be lots of midfield options. If we can stay unbeaten for 5-6 games we could settle into this division and have a reasonable season.
    A big threat will be Taylor going in January if he does not sign a new contract soon.
    So it’s OK to trip or kick anyone who has had the ball but doesn’t have it at the moment?
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    I thought the penalty was soft, Gallagher had already passed the ball when he got hit. If it had happened to us I think we would have been pissed off.
    Defence is definitely an issue, on the other hand with Oztumer and Kayal there look to be lots of midfield options. If we can stay unbeaten for 5-6 games we could settle into this division and have a reasonable season.
    A big threat will be Taylor going in January if he does not sign a new contract soon.
    Exactly... He was fouled off the ball, defender lunged in far too late

Its not American Football where you can be taken out regardless if you've the ball in possession

Exactly. You never see a penalty given when a striker is clattered after shooting wide. If it happened anywhere else, there would be a free-kick and these days, probably a card.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    shine166 said:
    7 points down, 43 to go 
    43 draws from 43 matches.
    The Championship invincibles.
    If someone offered you 43 draws now would you take it?

RC_CAFC said:
    shine166 said:
    7 points down, 43 to go 
    43 draws from 43 matches.
    The Championship invincibles.
    If someone offered you 43 draws now would you take it?
    37 draws, 4 losses and a double over millwall
  • Options
    We’re grafting hard and getting the points 
    we’ll play better and get nothing I suspect as the season goes on .
    7 points is dreamland this early on .

Penalty was the sort of decision that goes for you when things are good ,  no one even appealed for it either .
    no one else has mentioned it but Taylor gets away with that Yoni Buyens style penalty today cos his standing foot slid as he struck the ball ,another day he does a John Terry (was it him who fluffed one slipping up ) .
    the footballing gods are with us , long may that continue .

i was at Lords yesterday and had a West Ham fan sat next to me , who had 2 Charlton sons and had been to Wembley for the play off final with his boys , he fancied us for a draw all the game whilst obviously negative me thought we’d lose.

dare I say it 4th bottom looks possible ....cue/queue run of 10 straight defeats 

I think you have hit on the only thing that Bowyer hasn't been tested on as a manager. That is credit to him, but how does he cope when we have a string of bad results (if we do)? My guess is he will be fine, but we it is a guess.

I thought Pardew was a decent manager who became a poor one when things started going against him. He didn't have a clue how to change things positively. That isn't to say Bowyer would do the same, as he is demonstrating the skills to adapt, but we can't know. An injury crisis and a run of defeats is always possible in this league. Personally , I'd fancy Bowyer to find a way out of it, unlike Pardew. 
    Have great faith in LB and he has the fanbase behind him. I think coping with injuries especially to defenders will be a challenge.

We're lucky to have him.
  • Options
    The only thing that worries me about Lee is that everybody else is starting to realise how good he is. I hope Roland pays enough interest to work out how good he really is and reacts to it before they do.

Externally, Bowyer is being accepted as a very good manager now, but I think he is much, much better than that. He should be given a golden handcuffs contract as quickly as possible. 
  • Options
    The only thing that worries me about Lee is that everybody else is starting to realise how good he is. I hope Roland pays enough interest to work out how good he really is and reacts to it before they do.

Externally, Bowyer is being accepted as a very good manager now, but I think he is much, much better than that. He should be given a golden handcuffs contract as quickly as possible. 
    A decent owner would recognise what an asset LB is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Backing Bowyer a bit more could make Roland a lot of money. My guess is, Roland wanted to be seen as a prophet when he entered football. Being successful because a special manager falls into your lap would only show that he has been lucky. He should talk to Murray. He was happy to receive all the plaudits for being a great chairman, when all he had to do was back Curbs. In all honesty, us getting Curbs was down to not being able to afford anybody else and was similarly lucky.

• Options
    Being a football geek, I analysed all the highlights yesterday and the live games and from Pope (who had a decent game) through to Loris, keepers could do better with goals conceded. 
    Against Arsenal Pope let the poked shot go through his legs from close range, fortunately for Nick the defender who let him turn took the flax. 

I give great credit to the Barnsley striker for that 1st goal, as a keeper has to play the Percentages on his position. Two defenders prior to the goal could have made different choices. 
    I tipped 2-1 to Barnsley so I'm well pleased that I got the result wrong for the third time this season.
  • Options
    After sleeping on it I’m really quite hopeful going forward. We have some serious quality in Kayal, Field and Oztumer to come into midfield which in combination will complement who we had yesterday. Bench at Barnsley wasn’t the strongest but get those three into contention and we will have options. Hemed or someone is essential. Taylor is not going to go all season without injury or suspension. Take him out of the equation and we are in bother. My jury still very much out on defence. Solly was beaten twice before his unfortunate exit and I think Lockyer and Pearce are no more than adequate for this division. Purrington who is usually so consistent had a mare yesterday. A one off I hope. Onto Forest which on yesterday’s results looks very tough but another test for Bowyer who is on a massive learning curve. I think we’ll be alright come May.
  • Options
    Taylor seems to me to be one of those Captain Scarlet type players. You think he must be a doubt for the next match and he always makes it!
  • Options
    I dont think Taylor will be here after Jan. 

Although he is still performing, I think he doesn't want to be here sadly. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I think he was disapointed on missing out on a life changing pay rise, as anybody would be, especially at 30 and never having been at this level before. But things can change between now and January. We can have no complaints about the professional way he has reacted on the pitch.