Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Checking ID at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Halix said:
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
    When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

apologies if it already is 
    But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
    The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    What sort of ID is a 16 year old supposed to carry.
    Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
    Why should decent, law abiding people be inconvenienced because of the activities of criminal scum?

That's a big problem of society today in my opinion. Broad brush approach inconveniencing everyone rather than rooting out and punishing the scum.
    How can they root out the scum without checking people? 

I agree they need to advertise more widely they are clamping down on those sneakies, but it doesn't sit right with me criticizing the club for trying to find out who is taking advantage of the club.  
    I can honestly say that cheating the club that I love and has been a huge part of my my life for the last 62 years would be totally alien to me......I ain’t a Goody two Shoes by any means but wilfully going out of my way to cheat CAFC out of so much as a brass farthing just isn’t on my list of things to do.
    I don’t get those who justify doing so by implying they are cheating Duchatalet and not the club. Oh come on, I ain’t having that, who are you kidding.....let’s be honest here, you’d do it anyway......... Duchatalet or no Duchatalet.
    It's a bit like saying people commit benefit fraud or tax evasion because they don't like a particlar government's spending polices.

It's the same as people who nick tv through kodi or pirate sports events or bunk the trains...just a sense of entitlement that they deserve it and are justified in the reasons for doing so and the rest of the mugs who pay subscriptions to allow the services to be created and sustained in the first place are mugs.

Couldn't give a monkey's really but the self convincing justification for diddling our club or tv companies etc are very flimsy and are similar in mindset to those who develop justifications for taking what they haven't paid for because they're entitled.

One thing bunking in as a skint  kid but consciously doing your own club out of dough as an adult is weird to me despite whatever flaky justification is imagined.
    On that logic they would also be wrong to boycott the shop, lounges, sponsorship and refreshments because it hurts “the club”. It all helps Duchatelet.

in fact since there is virtually no cost of sale to an individual ticket and no opportunity cost someone paying a concession price instead of staying away entirely is doing him a favour.
    Exactly , as someone who has spent a fair amount on Charlton guff over the years and now spends the bare minimum cos of the clown owner i’d happily diddle Roland / the club out of dough if I knew I could get away with it .
    my small way of saying fuck you , you’ve bent the love of my life over and fucked it in front of me whilst not bothered about the stress caused to me and my family .
    others can be bought and turn a blind eye , not me 
    we all have different Charlton moral compasses but limiting every penny that prick gets from me is my way of living with my Charlton self .
    But you cant then complain when the club checks, and you get caught.
    I’m complaining about the way the club did not warn people of ID checks when they haven’t required ID for the previous 3000 visits.
    its simple,  a bit of notice is required to warn people with concession tickets that they will require ID , it’s common sense and courtesy .

i have no complaint with checks or getting caught but letting people know what is required is just simple stuff but I guess simple stuff is hard for some to comprehend 

Its quite straightforward, but will need some building work. If you turn up at the gate and you fail the appropriate Charlton height test for the relevant ticket, a hole in the ground opens up and you drop into the pit of Ordure.

PS I forgot, of course some amendment would also need to be made to the tickets terms and conditions stating that any attempt to defraud the club or breach its rules may involve that person plunging into a huge pit of shit.
  • Options
    Halix said:
    Halix said:
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
    When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

apologies if it already is 
    But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
    The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    What sort of ID is a 16 year old supposed to carry.
    Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
    Why should decent, law abiding people be inconvenienced because of the activities of criminal scum?

That's a big problem of society today in my opinion. Broad brush approach inconveniencing everyone rather than rooting out and punishing the scum.
    How can they root out the scum without checking people? 

I agree they need to advertise more widely they are clamping down on those sneakies, but it doesn't sit right with me criticizing the club for trying to find out who is taking advantage of the club.  
    I can honestly say that cheating the club that I love and has been a huge part of my my life for the last 62 years would be totally alien to me......I ain’t a Goody two Shoes by any means but wilfully going out of my way to cheat CAFC out of so much as a brass farthing just isn’t on my list of things to do.
    I don’t get those who justify doing so by implying they are cheating Duchatalet and not the club. Oh come on, I ain’t having that, who are you kidding.....let’s be honest here, you’d do it anyway......... Duchatalet or no Duchatalet.
    It's a bit like saying people commit benefit fraud or tax evasion because they don't like a particlar government's spending polices.

It's the same as people who nick tv through kodi or pirate sports events or bunk the trains...just a sense of entitlement that they deserve it and are justified in the reasons for doing so and the rest of the mugs who pay subscriptions to allow the services to be created and sustained in the first place are mugs.

Couldn't give a monkey's really but the self convincing justification for diddling our club or tv companies etc are very flimsy and are similar in mindset to those who develop justifications for taking what they haven't paid for because they're entitled.

One thing bunking in as a skint  kid but consciously doing your own club out of dough as an adult is weird to me despite whatever flaky justification is imagined.
    On that logic they would also be wrong to boycott the shop, lounges, sponsorship and refreshments because it hurts “the club”. It all helps Duchatelet.

in fact since there is virtually no cost of sale to an individual ticket and no opportunity cost someone paying a concession price instead of staying away entirely is doing him a favour.
    Exactly , as someone who has spent a fair amount on Charlton guff over the years and now spends the bare minimum cos of the clown owner i’d happily diddle Roland / the club out of dough if I knew I could get away with it .
    my small way of saying fuck you , you’ve bent the love of my life over and fucked it in front of me whilst not bothered about the stress caused to me and my family .
    others can be bought and turn a blind eye , not me 
    we all have different Charlton moral compasses but limiting every penny that prick gets from me is my way of living with my Charlton self .
    But you cant then complain when the club checks, and you get caught.
    I’m complaining about the way the club did not warn people of ID checks when they haven’t required ID for the previous 3000 visits.
    its simple,  a bit of notice is required to warn people with concession tickets that they will require ID , it’s common sense and courtesy .

i have no complaint with checks or getting caught but letting people know what is required is just simple stuff but I guess simple stuff is hard for some to comprehend 

Yes, and for a uniformed representative of the club to tell a 'customer' who is in possession of a legitimate season ticket he is a liar is not on.
  • Options

I'll be attending my first home game of the season today and very much looking forward to it.

I bought my 'concession' ticket online. It's an over 65 ticket because I'm over 65.

I've heard a rumour there may be checks to see if I'm really over 65. With my boyish good looks there could be a problem. So I'm taking my driving licence along too..............simple really.

Before you all start howling at me;

Yes the issue is more complicated than that. Yes the communication has been poorly handled and yes in the future a better system needs to be devised.

But for many concessions it's really not a huge inconvenience.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:

RD has made a right mess of running the club which will end up costing him a lot of money - what he can't be accused of however is ripping fans off by raising ticket prices. That will be the topic for a future owner and future protests I'm sure. Its all good at the moment - the football is very good, the atmosphere is very good, the season ticket prices are very good. If you are border line under 18 or 11 or over 65 and are getting your knickers in a twist about having to carry a form of ID, then you need to get some real problems to get angry about. Personally, i haven't cheated the system but i can see why people have and do accept that a lot of those wouldn't have done so in the past and it is about RD. However, its understandable them clamping down on it now.             

You maybe happy 'showing your papers' to self appointed authoritarians.

Members of my family fought (and died) in wars to save us from that kind of intrusion.

There is a principle of personal freedom here. We are too willing to follow corporate diktats regarding required papers, payment methods etc. It's about time we kicked back against unreasonable behaviour.
    Yep, people having to validate a ticket for a football match is at the forefront of my thoughts as I observe the silence on the second Sunday each November.
    perhaps we should re-enact the closing scene of Schindlers List but instead of the surviving Jewish people, we can have a few 17 year olds tearfully going through the east stand turnstiles.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    rikofold said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d60091519eda/advice-for-fans-purchasing-concession-tickets-to-games-at-the-valley?utm_campaign=349788_Copy of Pre-Match Brentford v2 23.08.2019 17:03:01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Charlton Athletic Football Club Ltd&dm_i=4W9V,7HWC,1C9RZ3,RNF5,1

Supporters purchasing concession tickets should be aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups. 

Appropriate identification includes a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows date of birth. The club will also accept a copy/photograph of these documents provided the date of birth is clearly legible.

At Wednesday’s game, against Nottingham Forest, the club carried out checks in the Covered End and had to confiscate 37 concession tickets, a large proportion of which were adults who had purchased U11 tickets.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website. 

Season ticket holders are also reminded to bring along appropriate identification alongside their season ticket if challenged. Any fan found to be using another individuals season ticket without informing the ticket office prior to any game will also have their ticket confiscated from them. If any season ticket holder wishes to assign their ticket to another individual, they will need to contact our ticket office with the name and age of the individual the wish to transfer the ticket to.

If you have any questions about the controls or wish to know what qualifies as ID, please contact our ticket office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling on 03330 14 44 44.

I think the club will find that you cannot change the terms and conditions of a sale unilaterally after a sale has taken place, I.e. season tickets have been sold on the existing Ts and Cs and inventing new ones now has no effect on those sold. Just a guess.
    I'm hardly a club apologist, but if you buy a concession ticket anywhere - whether football, theatre, cinema, etc. - that you're not entitled to, it's your risk if you find the ticket worthless when you try to get in.

Proof of age requirement for season tickets was in the Ts & Cs when I was a holder, and I've not bought one for at least 3 years. Let's be real, the only point at which the club can enforce proof of age is at the point of use - a 40 year old can happily buy a drink in a pub, but risks the drink being taken away if he then gives it to his 15 year old. 

Let's put it this way - do we honestly think a court would decide that the club was in breach of its agreed conditions of sale for checking that the grey haired, pot-bellied, balding gentlemen really was under 11? 

Bottom line, people do it because they've been able to get away with it - enforcing it has always and always will be at the club's discretion.  Pick your battles, this one doesn't have legs.
    That’s not my point. Obviously the club is entitled to enforce age and other concession restrictions. What it is not entitled to do - and has implied it intends to do - is retrospectively change its terms and conditions. So for example where they seem to have failed to update the age requirement to the current year they are stuck with the terms on which they entered into the contract and cannot legally enforce any new version they adopt after the point of sale.

• Options
    rikofold said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d60091519eda/advice-for-fans-purchasing-concession-tickets-to-games-at-the-valley?utm_campaign=349788_Copy of Pre-Match Brentford v2 23.08.2019 17:03:01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Charlton Athletic Football Club Ltd&dm_i=4W9V,7HWC,1C9RZ3,RNF5,1

Supporters purchasing concession tickets should be aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups. 

Appropriate identification includes a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows date of birth. The club will also accept a copy/photograph of these documents provided the date of birth is clearly legible.

At Wednesday’s game, against Nottingham Forest, the club carried out checks in the Covered End and had to confiscate 37 concession tickets, a large proportion of which were adults who had purchased U11 tickets.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website. 

Season ticket holders are also reminded to bring along appropriate identification alongside their season ticket if challenged. Any fan found to be using another individuals season ticket without informing the ticket office prior to any game will also have their ticket confiscated from them. If any season ticket holder wishes to assign their ticket to another individual, they will need to contact our ticket office with the name and age of the individual the wish to transfer the ticket to.

If you have any questions about the controls or wish to know what qualifies as ID, please contact our ticket office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling on 03330 14 44 44.

I think the club will find that you cannot change the terms and conditions of a sale unilaterally after a sale has taken place, I.e. season tickets have been sold on the existing Ts and Cs and inventing new ones now has no effect on those sold. Just a guess.
    I'm hardly a club apologist, but if you buy a concession ticket anywhere - whether football, theatre, cinema, etc. - that you're not entitled to, it's your risk if you find the ticket worthless when you try to get in.

Proof of age requirement for season tickets was in the Ts & Cs when I was a holder, and I've not bought one for at least 3 years. Let's be real, the only point at which the club can enforce proof of age is at the point of use - a 40 year old can happily buy a drink in a pub, but risks the drink being taken away if he then gives it to his 15 year old. 

Let's put it this way - do we honestly think a court would decide that the club was in breach of its agreed conditions of sale for checking that the grey haired, pot-bellied, balding gentlemen really was under 11? 

Bottom line, people do it because they've been able to get away with it - enforcing it has always and always will be at the club's discretion.  Pick your battles, this one doesn't have legs.
    That’s not my point. Obviously the club is entitled to enforce age and other concession restrictions. What it is not entitled to do - and has implied it intends to do - is retrospectively change its terms and conditions. So for example where they seem to have failed to update the age requirement to the current year they are stuck with the terms on which they entered into the contract and cannot enforce any new version.
    Where have they said they are going to change age brackets?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rikofold said:
    Rob7Lee said:

That’s not my point. Obviously the club is entitled to enforce age and other concession restrictions. What it is not entitled to do - and has implied it intends to do - is retrospectively change its terms and conditions. So for example where they seem to have failed to update the age requirement to the current year they are stuck with the terms on which they entered into the contract and cannot enforce any new version.
    Where have they said they are going to change age brackets?
    It’s been pointed out they failed to update the qualifying dates in the advertised  Ts and Cs, which has to be done every year.

This is basic stuff. I did it for years so I know how it works.

All I’m saying is that any change now has no effect whatsoever on 10,000 sales already made. It’s the club that has said it intends to make such changes.

• Options
    I had the loan of an adult season ticket on Weds, while the owner is on holiday, I've also got it today. Now do I tell the owner that he needs to email the club telling them I am using it or risk being as for ID and then having to hand over the season ticket? 
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Email received this morning

Dear Supporter,

Thank you very much for purchasing a ticket for our game against Brentford this afternoon. We have noticed that as part of your transaction, you have purchased a ticket at a concession price and as such, we thought we would make you aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups.

We will accept a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows your date of birth as identification. We will also accept a copy/photograph of these as we appreciate you might not always carry them around with you, provided your date of birth is clearly legible for our stewards to read.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website.

For all Under 11 and Under 18 tickets, the onus is on the parent or guardian to make sure that the correct ticket is being used by the appropriate individual. If your child attends the game without an appropriate copy of ID, you risk their ticket being confiscated at the gate.

Thank you in advance for your understanding, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our Ticket Office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling 03330 14 44 44.

Kind Regards,

Charlton Athletic Ticket Office

I guess it was too difficult to do a mail merge to populate names in the emails rather than "Supporter" which is better than customer i guess 😂

• Options
    NugNug
    edited August 2019
    Just got just got that email  for my 2 tickets including an under 18, fair enough. Like I said earlier though a few kids buying tickets a year or two out of their actual age group seems less of an issue than grown adults buying £5 tickets which is who they should be targeting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    If a 17 year old reaches the age of 18 during the season, will the jobsworths throw them out when they see their photo ID DOB?

How does a 16 year old without any form of photo ID, prove he's under 18?
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Email received this morning

Dear Supporter,

Thank you very much for purchasing a ticket for our game against Brentford this afternoon. We have noticed that as part of your transaction, you have purchased a ticket at a concession price and as such, we thought we would make you aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups.

We will accept a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows your date of birth as identification. We will also accept a copy/photograph of these as we appreciate you might not always carry them around with you, provided your date of birth is clearly legible for our stewards to read.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website.

For all Under 11 and Under 18 tickets, the onus is on the parent or guardian to make sure that the correct ticket is being used by the appropriate individual. If your child attends the game without an appropriate copy of ID, you risk their ticket being confiscated at the gate.

Thank you in advance for your understanding, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our Ticket Office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling 03330 14 44 44.

Kind Regards,

Charlton Athletic Ticket Office

I guess it was too difficult to do a mail merge to populate names in the emails rather than "Supporter" which is better than customer i guess 😂

So we're now in a situation where  the club are stating that children under the age of 11 need to have photographic ID to attend a football match? Bizarre.
    I got that same email as got my 15 year old who looks 12 an U18 ticket - last season paid a fiver for him every game we attended.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    If a 17 year old reaches the age of 18 during the season, will the jobsworths throw them out when they see their photo ID DOB?

Not easy, but you can buy an ID card for £15, or a citizen card for £17. Most kids want ID to buy games, train tickets etc, and 18 yr olds to buy beer. As to if you want to pay for one.....
  • Options
    Just upgraded my sons ticket and felt really guilty. This is the first time I have done this as he never misses a home game and goes to quite a few away games, but the Reading festival won out. Not sure why I felt that way, but I guess it felt like she thought I was one of the fans that had been fiddling as she wasn’t at all friendly.

They really could have done this in a much friendly manner. Issuing out that note before the game would have been good, but it is clear to me that they wanted to catch people to make the point. They really know how to sour things don’t they.
  • Options
    I had the loan of an adult season ticket on Weds, while the owner is on holiday, I've also got it today. Now do I tell the owner that he needs to email the club telling them I am using it or risk being as for ID and then having to hand over the season ticket? 
    That was my main concern as friends sometimes use my daughter's season ticket as she is abroad regularly.

If it is an adult ticket you SHOULD be alright according to the amended message late last night.

No guarantees with this lot though!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Addickted said:

Not easy, but you can buy an ID card for £15, or a citizen card for £17. Most kids want ID to buy games, train tickets etc, and 18 yr olds to buy beer. As to if you want to pay for one.....
    But an 18 year old with ID may still not be allowed in on an U18 ticket which was purchased when they were 17.

A 16 year old does not require any form of photo ID in the UK. Are the club insisting that a 16 year old should pay £15 for one? I suspect this is in breach of their human rights.
  • Options
    The administration of this is clearly laughable, why because the administration at Charlton is a joke. As said before nobody of any seniority in knows what they are doing.

we should be taking the opportunity of what Bowyer has brought to the club to expand ticket sales and try and reach out to new and old supporters not try and alienate the kids by putting things in place that are sometimes not achievable.

by the way I am in no way condoning people cheating the system, it's how they are administrating it which is laughable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    If an under 11 has an adult ticket at the turnstile, and is checked, what happens?
    Does the steward give the child money?
  • Options
    No check today.
  • Options
    The silence in this thread says it all
  • Options
    Could someone at least tell them the difference between licence and license?
  • Options
    Standing at the North stand I saw around 10 people between 2:00 and 2:50 ejected due to having childrens tickets and they were definitely not under 18! A few debated being able to upgrade but the stewards simply said their instructions were to confiscate the tickets.

• Options
    No excuses...a thief is a thief.

They know the prices.

How shameful 46 year old  pot bellied pigs are  going in on an under 11 ticket. ( Maybe some slim thieves too).

Do we really want such dishonest trash/liars to represent our great club?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    My 17 year old son was stopped after entering the ground today and his season ticket checked. Thankfully his Oyster Zip card was enough proof of ID. But his ID wasnt checked when he got served (with my money) in crossbars before hand.