Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Checking ID at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
    When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

apologies if it already is 
    But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
    The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    What sort of ID is a 16 year old supposed to carry.
    Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
    Why should decent, law abiding people be inconvenienced because of the activities of criminal scum?

That's a big problem of society today in my opinion. Broad brush approach inconveniencing everyone rather than rooting out and punishing the scum.
    How can they root out the scum without checking people? 

I agree they need to advertise more widely they are clamping down on those sneakies, but it doesn't sit right with me criticizing the club for trying to find out who is taking advantage of the club.  
    It's probably time to 'fess up then, that in the years 66 to 69 i bunked in quite a lot.
  • Options
    Seems like photos on the season tickets is best all round. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    For the record, I've not tried to be preachy.. my suggestions were made to try stop legitimate ticket holders having the issue of being turned away... the internet is no way to really understand a stranger's tone or perspective. 'Back in the day' it was my job to take passes back out of the lounges and get my dads mates in.. I'm really  not trying to preach. 
  • Options
    And the prize for thee most obscure thread being directly linked to Brexit goes to.......
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    No different to me bunking in over the laundry by the Sam Bertram entrance in the 60s, if you got caught by a steward you got slung out. Got caught by a policeman you got a slap up the side of the head and then slung out. You lot don’t know how lucky you are! 😂😂😂
    Karel Fraeye set a terrible example to impressionable fans by bunking out in a laundry basket, so what do the club expect?
  • Options
    Didn't Scooby used to get in dressed in a St John's Ambulance uniform, or am I thinking of someone else, or am I completely making that up?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
    When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
    The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
    Why should decent, law abiding people be inconvenienced because of the activities of criminal scum?

That's a big problem of society today in my opinion. Broad brush approach inconveniencing everyone rather than rooting out and punishing the scum.

I agree they need to advertise more widely they are clamping down on those sneakies, but it doesn't sit right with me criticizing the club for trying to find out who is taking advantage of the club.  
    I can honestly say that cheating the club that I love and has been a huge part of my my life for the last 62 years would be totally alien to me......I ain’t a Goody two Shoes by any means but wilfully going out of my way to cheat CAFC out of so much as a brass farthing just isn’t on my list of things to do.
    I don’t get those who justify doing so by implying they are cheating Duchatalet and not the club. Oh come on, I ain’t having that, who are you kidding.....let’s be honest here, you’d do it anyway......... Duchatalet or no Duchatalet.
    Simply not true given some of the people involved last season to my knowledge. However a lot will have gone back to (adult) season tickets this season because of Championship football.
  • Options

"Concessionary season tickets have already gone through age verification in order to obtain the concession in the first place and been paid for already prior to the season.

Therefore season ticket holders should be left alone as they have already been 'vetted.' We don't (yet) live in a Police State where we need to show the fluorescent jacketed Gestapo our inside leg measurement details whenever they demand it." 

The problem with the above is you can give the ID of any valid person that qualifies for the concession to obtain the ticket but how do you know it is the person who qualified for the concession using the ticket if you aren't checking whether at  least the person using it in the age bracket of the ticket they are using? I'm sure your use of consessions system is wholly in compliance with the intent of the system the problem is others is not.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

I can honestly say that cheating the club that I love and has been a huge part of my my life for the last 62 years would be totally alien to me......I ain’t a Goody two Shoes by any means but wilfully going out of my way to cheat CAFC out of so much as a brass farthing just isn’t on my list of things to do.
    I don’t get those who justify doing so by implying they are cheating Duchatalet and not the club. Oh come on, I ain’t having that, who are you kidding.....let’s be honest here, you’d do it anyway......... Duchatalet or no Duchatalet.
    It's a bit like saying people commit benefit fraud or tax evasion because they don't like a particlar government's spending polices.

It's the same as people who nick tv through kodi or pirate sports events or bunk the trains...just a sense of entitlement that they deserve it and are justified in the reasons for doing so and the rest of the mugs who pay subscriptions to allow the services to be created and sustained in the first place are mugs.

Couldn't give a monkey's really but the self convincing justification for diddling our club or tv companies etc are very flimsy and are similar in mindset to those who develop justifications for taking what they haven't paid for because they're entitled.

One thing bunking in as a skint  kid but consciously doing your own club out of dough as an adult is weird to me despite whatever flaky justification is imagined.
    On that logic they would also be wrong to boycott the shop, lounges, sponsorship and refreshments because it hurts “the club”. It all helps Duchatelet. He’s just qualified for £6m extra central revenue - that appears to have made no impact on his spending. 

in fact since there is virtually no cost of sale to an individual ticket and no opportunity cost someone paying a concession price instead of staying away entirely is doing him a favour.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

It's a bit like saying people commit benefit fraud or tax evasion because they don't like a particlar government's spending polices.

It's the same as people who nick tv through kodi or pirate sports events or bunk the trains...just a sense of entitlement that they deserve it and are justified in the reasons for doing so and the rest of the mugs who pay subscriptions to allow the services to be created and sustained in the first place are mugs.

Couldn't give a monkey's really but the self convincing justification for diddling our club or tv companies etc are very flimsy and are similar in mindset to those who develop justifications for taking what they haven't paid for because they're entitled.

One thing bunking in as a skint  kid but consciously doing your own club out of dough as an adult is weird to me despite whatever flaky justification is imagined.
    On that logic they would also be wrong to boycott the shop, lounges, sponsorship and refreshments because it hurts “the club”. It all helps Duchatelet.

in fact since there is virtually no cost of sale to an individual ticket and no opportunity cost someone paying a concession price instead of staying away entirely is doing him a favour.
    Exactly , as someone who has spent a fair amount on Charlton guff over the years and now spends the bare minimum cos of the clown owner i’d happily diddle Roland / the club out of dough if I knew I could get away with it .
    my small way of saying fuck you , you’ve bent the love of my life over and fucked it in front of me whilst not bothered about the stress caused to me and my family .
    others can be bought and turn a blind eye , not me 
    we all have different Charlton moral compasses but limiting every penny that prick gets from me is my way of living with my Charlton self .
    By that same logic it's fine to commit benefit fraud or tax evasion if you hate the Tories or want to reduce government's spending resources so they can't buy arms or fund climate harming projects.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

On that logic they would also be wrong to boycott the shop, lounges, sponsorship and refreshments because it hurts “the club”. It all helps Duchatelet.
    No that's not the same. The same logic would be going into the club shop and swapping a adult's price tag on a replica shirt for a kid's one.

By abstaining from games or lounges or shops etc you're boycotting the service and depriving yourself which is noble in principle.

Enjoying the service by fraudulently duping the system isnt. Particularly when it relies on fellow punters to play the game and pay full whack to keep it under the radar as if we all did it they'd cotton on.

If people want to do it it's their look out but the justification that it's some kind of guerrilla warfare tactic aimed at undermining the regime is very flaky in the same way as nicking a ppv sport because "sky are bad" is weak.

I appreciate people have different attitudes to this, but it’s quite wrong to assume that nobody was doing it as a protest. There is a difference in terms of changing the price of a shirt because there is a cost of sale issue, albeit the only difference with children’s shirts is the VAT. There is (usually) no difference in revenue to the shop, so it’s not a useful example.

Also, do you apply the same standard to people moving between blocks with different adult prices? When block A in the east was the cheapest in the ground it was virtually sold out but almost no one sat there. That is still going on between the lower and upper sections of the Covered End (AFAIK) and sections of the east and west because the price differential (season tickets in the case of the upper/lower) is too extreme.

Do you not think the club bears some responsibility for foolish differentials and non-enforcement? I know for a fact that they simply did not want to put any resource into stopping it. So they reaped the consequences. Any well managed business would have identified and addressed the problem much earlier, which in turn would have prevented it spiralling.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

No that's not the same. The same logic would be going into the club shop and swapping a adult's price tag on a replica shirt for a kid's one.

By abstaining from games or lounges or shops etc you're boycotting the service and depriving yourself which is noble in principle.

Enjoying the service by fraudulently duping the system isnt. Particularly when it relies on fellow punters to play the game and pay full whack to keep it under the radar as if we all did it they'd cotton on.

If people want to do it it's their look out but the justification that it's some kind of guerrilla warfare tactic aimed at undermining the regime is very flaky in the same way as nicking a ppv sport because "sky are bad" is weak.

I appreciate people have different attitudes to this, but it’s quite wrong to assume that nobody was doing it as a protest. There is a difference in terms of changing the price of a shirt because there is a cost of sale issue, albeit the only difference with children’s shirts is the VAT. 

Also, do you apply the same standard to people moving between blocks with different adult prices? When block A in the east was the cheapest in the ground it was virtually sold out but almost no one sat there. That is still going on between the lower upper sections of the Covered End (AFAIK) and sections of the east and west because the price differential (season tickets in the case of the upper/lower) is too extreme.

In both cases, do you not think the club bears some responsibility for non-enforcement? I know for a fact that they simply did not want to put any resource into it. So they reaped the consequences.

Id rather the club didn't have to pay to enforce it. 

The central point being that most who would move blocks to better seats would probably do so regardless of the owner. Even if it was a Peter Varney, Michael  Grade, Alan Curbishley dream ownership many would probably still dupe it.

It's the justification of it solely as a form of protest I don't buy when it's ultimately a money saving exercise they believe they're entitled to whilst the other mug punters pay full price to facilitate it.

• Options
    Not meaning to be holier than thou on this as I have done loads of stuff by the same logic over the years as I imagine everyone has in various aspects of life. 

• Options
    The moving between blocks in the east & west stands would be lessened if there was a flat price for all blocks.The movement between the upper & lower tiers in the covered end should surely made impossible for safety reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

I appreciate people have different attitudes to this, but it’s quite wrong to assume that nobody was doing it as a protest. There is a difference in terms of changing the price of a shirt because there is a cost of sale issue, albeit the only difference with children’s shirts is the VAT. 

Also, do you apply the same standard to people moving between blocks with different adult prices? When block A in the east was the cheapest in the ground it was virtually sold out but almost no one sat there. That is still going on between the lower upper sections of the Covered End (AFAIK) and sections of the east and west because the price differential (season tickets in the case of the upper/lower) is too extreme.

In both cases, do you not think the club bears some responsibility for non-enforcement? I know for a fact that they simply did not want to put any resource into it. So they reaped the consequences.

Id rather the club didn't have to pay to enforce it. 

The central point being that most who would move blocks to better seats would probably do so regardless of the owner. Even if it was a Peter Varney, Michael  Grade, Alan Curbishley dream ownership many would probably still dupe it.

It's the justification of it solely as a form of protest I don't buy when it's ultimately a money saving exercise they believe they're entitled to whilst the other mug punters pay full price to facilitate it.

Yes - it's a function of silly pricing, not protest, but there is no moral distinction between that and paying the minimum to get into the ground because the club is incompetent in another way. You have to condemn both if you think one is wrong.

However, if you think some people's attitude to paying adult prices to get in didn't change solely because of the ownership then I happen to know you are wrong. And it's the same reason they won't spend other money at the club.

By the way, I'm sure the railway companies would rather not pay to enforce their fare structure and the supermarkets not pay checkout staff (they are trying), but it's part of the cost of doing business. Pretending it isn't won't work.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Under this regime the club has alienated fans over getting tickets.
    There has been the ludicrous move to 'drive the sales online', which somebody into technology thinks their own particular approach and home equipment suits everybody (similar to the pervasive assumption that people have Facebook and twitter and a mobile phone).
    There has been a lot of mucking about with ticket office opening to the extent that many of us have gone to the Valley only to find the office closed (I have done this several times...doh!).
    There has of course been the Katrien tax which is a way of reducing attendances especially for far flung supporters. There has also been the labyrinthine and incomprehensible instructions posted on the club internet, and there is the shocking cost per minute of the keep you waiting telephone calls.
    There has been mucking about with costs in different areas of the ground.
    Somebody will post and say my gripes are non issues and supporters must bend and shape to whatever stupid and geeky approach thought up by the fan haters at the club, and essentially they seem to be unable to accept that people are people.
    There must always be an opportunity for somebody to decide on a Saturday morning to be able to go to the football easily and for a reasonable price, it should not be some kind of assault course.
    It is no surprise that adults will get in as under 11's wrong though that is, if you support a club that hates it's fans you are less likely to be cooperative with their stupid and awkward approach.
    Anyway people can always take it up with the CEO.....doh.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    £30 minimum this weekend for an adult buying in the run-up to kick-off.

I'm advised that you cannot buy the £22 advance price on its own (in any event there are 20-ish tickets available at that price), so minimum spend for an adult buying a match ticket in advance is £27, rising to £30-£37 on the day. 

Further encouragement to try it on.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

Exactly , as someone who has spent a fair amount on Charlton guff over the years and now spends the bare minimum cos of the clown owner i’d happily diddle Roland / the club out of dough if I knew I could get away with it .
    my small way of saying fuck you , you’ve bent the love of my life over and fucked it in front of me whilst not bothered about the stress caused to me and my family .
    others can be bought and turn a blind eye , not me 
    we all have different Charlton moral compasses but limiting every penny that prick gets from me is my way of living with my Charlton self .
    But you cant then complain when the club checks, and you get caught.
  • Options
    I know people, not me, who were paying full price for the most expensive East Stand tickets but in protest switched to the cheapest Covered End lower seats but sit elsewhere.

They are only doing that because of Duchatelet, no other reason.  They didn't do it under the previous owners at all.

Yes, some people will always dodge tax, train fares etc etc and try to justify it but at Charlton the situation is very different.

As usual with this regime, they do things without bothering to think of the consequences or listening to those who have.

I think they may know exactly what they are doing. Cheap enforcement that has got everyone talking about it and no one on this site can complain about being challenged again.

It is easy. Copy to your phone a passport, driving license, bus pass etc or take copies.

If your kids do not have any of these, consider getting them an identity card from ‘My ID’. Useful if they want to go to the pictures, buy games etc and ensure they get the cheap travel they are entitled too when they are out and about. Costs £15. You can also get one for over 18s so they can buy beer etc when they are fortunate to look younger. Can apply to old gits as well!

No excuses now.
  • Options
    "Committed to offering affordable football to our supporters" !

£27..
  • Options
    Interesting debate this one. Personally I'd never pay less than what you are meant to because whatever way you look at it, it is dishonest. 

But I can see why some would in turn justify doing it for the very reason that the regime have themselves not always come across as particularly easy to believe at times. 

• Options

£27..
    My season ticket was £220 which works out as £9.50 a game. Bloody cheap by today's standards and also means I pay less to the regime than someone going to only a third (approx 8 games at  £27) of the games I do if paying on the gate.

Unless going on kid's ticket of course ;-)
  • Options

£27..
    Plus £1.50 booking fee ...
  • Options
    Not meaning to be holier than thou on this as I have done loads of stuff by the same logic over the years as I imagine everyone has in various aspects of life. 

We used to bunk in to watch the video on the history of the Thames, down the Thames Barrier visitors center before realising, after 4 / 5 years, that it was free entree
    Ha!