Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Checking ID at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, I'm probably partially to blame for all this. Last season I regularly bought tickets for cheaper seats & moved blocks (East) or a £10 u18 ticket. Got rumbled towards the end if the season & so have now bought a season ticket. Club also asked for ID for Golfie Jnr's ST as he's had an U18 one for a number of years & so I emailed them a copy of his passport showing that he turns 16 in a couple of weeks. However, with the new fashion look of not shaving he could probably pass for 17 or 18 and waiting now for him to get stopped at the turnstiles.
  • Options
    So when/if Roland sells the club will everybody will pay the correct price for their tickets?
  • Options
    If you can get away with it, why would you not buy the cheaper tickets? Since we have had the scanners i have rarely brought an adult ticket.....
  • Options
    clive said:
    So when/if Roland sells the club will everybody will pay the correct price for their tickets?
    Yes.  I never thought of doing it under previous ownership. Can’t stop going but it’s my rather weak version of ‘not a penny more’,   ‘not quite as much as he would have got from me in different circumstances’
  • Options
    I think it's right that people should have the right ticket but when it's a change of policy that leads to arseyness officialdom I think it's best to communicate to your customers what is required of them 
    An email to everyone on the database would have helped. 
    Better training for the Stewards.
  • Options
    giving Roland as little money as possible - good 
    That’s fair enough if people want to do that, just gives you less voice along with those boycotting to complain when the budget for players is low or someone is sold to reduce losses. 
    I've got to disagree with 50% of that mate, he has been slashing the squad and asset stripping since long before anyone suggested boycotting 

Selling players to generate money for squad building is fair enough and unless you are Real Madrid that happens everywhere. Didnt he say recently that it costs him money to have people in the ground as it is too? 

• Options
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
  • Options
    Some people just love to spoil others' day (or evening) if they have a little bit of power and deliberately or otherwise eschew a sensible approach. I call it Fluorescent jacket syndrome. Normally rational human beings turn into a parody of Adolf Hitler once given one. A fluorescent sash can have the same effect in my experience although the symptoms tend to be milder in general.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    If you want to buy a ticket that requires you to be in a certain age bracket, expect to be questioned if you don't look that age/are borderline on that age.

They put out a warning before the first game of the season, what more could they have done?
    When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

apologies if it already is 
    But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

When people buy a match ticket on an ad hoc basis they don't scour the club site for info on what is required , where was this warning , I never received it 

I think a clear alert when you buy a concession ticket online as to the requirements of ID being needed would make sense and that is what more can be done 

I’d be surprised if there isn’t something there already that does say you need to bring ID (how explicit it is is a different story!). But isn’t it common sense that if I’m getting a discount because I fall into a certain category that I might need to show some proof that I qualify for that category?

I just booked a flight, an alert didn’t pop up to remind me to bring my passport to the airport (it’s probably in the small print somewhere) but I’m not going to assume that means I don’t need it. 
  • Options
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

But they do know they are falsely buying a cheaper ticket by lying about their age and that at some stage the club may wish this practice to stop, and enforce checks. 
    The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    What sort of ID is a 16 year old supposed to carry.
    Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    RedManS said:
    If you can get away with it, why would you not buy the cheaper tickets? Since we have had the scanners i have rarely brought an adult ticket.....
    Its comments like this that alert the club, you put it on here and all it takes is one club official to see it and think hang on we need to do something about this.

At the end of the day rules are there for a reason, if you are under 18 by an under 18 ticket if you are an adult buy an adult ticket
  • Options
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

What you waffling on about .
    we are talking about punters buying the correct ticket , as they have done for years and then out of the blue being required to produce ID and refused entry without ID they didn’t know they required .
    when a big warning on concession tickets would alert all concession users that ID of some sort will be required 
    It’s not rocket science , it’s common courtesy to the customer and would stop the agg people get .

anyone bunking in paying cheap takes that punt and they get no sympathy 
  • Options
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

The issue here is with people who have a legit ticket not being allowed in because they can't prove their age.
    A lot of kids have a bus pass for school, but it is a good point.

That said, I saw a man stopped and he was at least 30.

My son is 17 and wouldn’t be challenged buying a pint, so they do have a problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:

I’d be surprised if there isn’t something there already that does say you need to bring ID (how explicit it is is a different story!). But isn’t it common sense that if I’m getting a discount because I fall into a certain category that I might need to show some proof that I qualify for that category?

I just booked a flight, an alert didn’t pop up to remind me to bring my passport to the airport (it’s probably in the small print somewhere) but I’m not going to assume that means I don’t need it. 
    Well I’ve had to use a passport for flights for years , they haven’t just started asking for them .
    buying a ticket at football my nephew and kids have never been asked for ID at the 100s of games they’ve gone between them .
    so a bit of a difference 
  • Options
    Halix said:
    sam3110 said:

Sorry, wrong. The issue here is people defrauding the club, and the club trying to clamp down on it.

Yes, your son has got the wrong end of it, but in the future he can take his passport, or some sort of ID to prove his age.

Take any complaints with those who think being a crook is in any way cool, or clever...
    Why should decent, law abiding people be inconvenienced because of the activities of criminal scum?

That's a big problem of society today in my opinion. Broad brush approach inconveniencing everyone rather than rooting out and punishing the scum.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:

Well I’ve had to use a passport for flights for years , they haven’t just started asking for them .
    buying a ticket at football my nephew and kids have never been asked for ID at the 100s of games they’ve gone between them .
    so a bit of a difference 
    Just because it’s never been asked for doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to. I know it’s personal to you as your nephew got caught up in it but I don’t really think it’s that out of order to ask someone with an concession ticket to show some proof that they qualify. 
  • Options
    What do you expect the club to do when they read on this forum that people are boasting that they are using children's tickets? 
    That's just a messageboard thing. 
  • Options
    giving Roland as little money as possible - good 
    It's interesting. I kind of feel that you can either stay home if you want to make your protest by not spending money with the club, but if you are watching the games, do the right thing and pay the right price. Yet I buy food and drink outside, so that's probably hypocritical. Oh well, another unsolved mystery. Back to work. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:

so a bit of a difference 
    Just because it’s never been asked for doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to. I know it’s personal to you as your nephew got caught up in it but I don’t really think it’s that out of order to ask someone with an concession ticket to show some proof that they qualify. 

I agree they should definitely ask for it to act as a deterrent to those jibbing in
    BUT common courtesy and sense says warn the law abiding punters, who have done nothing wrong and have never been asked for ID before that  ID will be asked for for the first time ever , do that by advertising an alert or a big message when people buy online 
    And  continues to do so that any new punters that come along are not inconvenienced .
    but the divs haven’t got the brain power to work that out .
    It really isn’t rocket science and the club acted without thought to their customers !