Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Checking ID at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    "Committed to offering affordable football to our supporters" !

£27..

To be fair, Millwall vs QPR starts at £29 which I think is their equivalent of a gold game.

I guess it's competitive, and the club did sell season tickets at league one prices earlier in the year. Covered end for £375 all season definitely was a bargain in my opinion.
    £26 to members in advance, but how successful would you say Millwall have been at selling tickets over the years? Their attendances and ticket revenue were consistently lower than Charlton’s until the last couple of years (L1 v Championship). I’ll guarantee it will revert this season.

I’m not a fan of the “benchmark against other clubs” line because it ignores the fact that other clubs operate in different circumstances. There is an argument for testing the market but I very much doubt that a £30-£37 price range on the day against Brentford does the club any favours. You only need to deter 10 per cent of would-be adult purchasers because of the increase to make a negative impact on revenue. Brentford are no one’s idea of elite opposition except the decision-makers at Charlton.

With £375 season tickets and giving 6 and 12 month finance options, I think the club definitely made it as affordable as can be.

I don't want to come across as a snob, but to me £30 for a matchday ticket really isn't much. It's less than a days wage at minimum wage. Maybe I should shut up before I come across as a right prick, but sorry guys that's my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

£27..

To be fair, Millwall vs QPR starts at £29 which I think is their equivalent of a gold game.

I guess it's competitive, and the club did sell season tickets at league one prices earlier in the year. Covered end for £375 all season definitely was a bargain in my opinion.
    £26 to members in advance, but how successful would you say Millwall have been at selling tickets over the years? Their attendances and ticket revenue were consistently lower than Charlton’s until the last couple of years (L1 v Championship). I’ll guarantee it will revert this season.

I’m not a fan of the “benchmark against other clubs” line because it ignores the fact that other clubs operate in different circumstances. There is an argument for testing the market but I very much doubt that a £30-£37 price range on the day against Brentford does the club any favours. You only need to deter 10 per cent of would-be adult purchasers because of the increase to make a negative impact on revenue. Brentford are no one’s idea of elite opposition except the decision-makers at Charlton.

With £375 season tickets and giving 6 and 12 month finance options, I think the club definitely made it as affordable as can be.

I don't want to come across as a snob, but to me £30 for a matchday ticket really isn't much. It's less than a days wage at minimum wage. Maybe I should shut up before I come across as a right prick, but sorry guys that's my opinion.
    Season tickets started at £200. Nobody is disputing they are good value - they always have been going back decades.

The issue is how you attract additional paying spectators and maximise revenue as well as building future support (season ticket holders). 

Whether you regard £30 as “much” isn’t really the point. It’s whether the less committed or uncommitted potential attendees do, along with all the other costs of attending, including travel, given their individual budgets and whether the difference from normal pricing maximises revenue or reduces it.

I’m paying £25 to go to cricket tonight. I doubt if I would have paid £30, not because I can’t afford another £5 but because I’m not sufficiently engaged with it to pay £30.
  • Options

£27..

Season tickets started at £200. Nobody is disputing they are good value - they always have been going back decades.

The issue is how you attract additional paying spectators and maximise revenue as well as building future support (season ticket holders). 

Whether you regard £30 as “much” isn’t really the point. It’s whether the less committed or uncommitted potential attendees do, along with all the other costs of attending, including travel, given their individual budgets and whether the difference from normal pricing maximises revenue or reduces it.

I’m paying £25 to go to cricket tonight. I doubt if I would have paid £30, not because I can’t afford another £5 but because I’m not sufficiently engaged with it to pay £30.

Thanks for the insight, I understand where you're coming from.

I guess we all have our own views, hence why we have a forum to broadcast them.
  • Options
    It’s £42 for my son(15) and myself for tomorrow’s game and that’s the cheapest price. Yet at Reading it’s £25. That is criminal on our Part. 
  • Options
    It’s £42 for my son(15) and myself for tomorrow’s game and that’s the cheapest price. Yet at Reading it’s £25. That is criminal on our Part. 
    Good idea - let’s get Roland arrested. Anyone got the number for Interpol?
  • Options

£27..

So that's why there's no money in the NHS  ;)
  • Options

RD has made a right mess of running the club which will end up costing him a lot of money - what he can't be accused of however is ripping fans off by raising ticket prices. That will be the topic for a future owner and future protests I'm sure. Its all good at the moment - the football is very good, the atmosphere is very good, the season ticket prices are very good. If you are border line under 18 or 11 or over 65 and are getting your knickers in a twist about having to carry a form of ID, then you need to get some real problems to get angry about. Personally, i haven't cheated the system but i can see why people have and do accept that a lot of those wouldn't have done so in the past and it is about RD. However, its understandable them clamping down on it now.             

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Redrobo said:
    I know people, not me, who were paying full price for the most expensive East Stand tickets but in protest switched to the cheapest Covered End lower seats but sit elsewhere.

They are only doing that because of Duchatelet, no other reason.  They didn't do it under the previous owners at all.

Yes, some people will always dodge tax, train fares etc etc and try to justify it but at Charlton the situation is very different.

As usual with this regime, they do things without bothering to think of the consequences or listening to those who have.

I think they may know exactly what they are doing. Cheap enforcement that has got everyone talking about it and no one on this site can complain about being challenged again.

It is easy. Copy to your phone a passport, driving license, bus pass etc or take copies.

If your kids do not have any of these, consider getting them an identity card from ‘My ID’. Useful if they want to go to the pictures, buy games etc and ensure they get the cheap travel they are entitled too when they are out and about. Costs £15. You can also get one for over 18s so they can buy beer etc when they are fortunate to look younger. Can apply to old gits as well!

No excuses now.
    That's fine and dandy (apart from the, in my opinion, important principle of why the hell should the innocent be inconvenienced) if you have the financial resources and technological abilities to operate a phone with such a capacity.

There will be plenty of over 65s (exhibit A) with a pay as you go basic mobile phone for emergency use only.

Furthermore what is 'acceptable' ID? I have a bank card with my surname and intitials on it. My season ticket has my christian name and surname on it. Will that suffice or will the conflict between initials and full name prohibit my entry to the ground at the whim of the jackbooted operative on the gate?

It is an absolute disgrace that paid up season ticket holders should be subjected to such indignity, hassle and inconvenience.

My understanding when I last read the terms and conditions was that season tickets could be used by other people in the same category or if an upgrade was paid on the day. Has that stopped now?

If so then the Club had better get ready to refund some season tickets because I know plenty of people who (legitimately under those old terms and conditions) share season tickets as they cannot make every match because they work away etc etc.
    Bloody remainers 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

RD has made a right mess of running the club which will end up costing him a lot of money - what he can't be accused of however is ripping fans off by raising ticket prices. That will be the topic for a future owner and future protests I'm sure. Its all good at the moment - the football is very good, the atmosphere is very good, the season ticket prices are very good. If you are border line under 18 or 11 or over 65 and are getting your knickers in a twist about having to carry a form of ID, then you need to get some real problems to get angry about. Personally, i haven't cheated the system but i can see why people have and do accept that a lot of those wouldn't have done so in the past and it is about RD. However, its understandable them clamping down on it now.             

I think you might have got your knickers in a twist if you'd spent all day looking forward to the game only to be told on entry that you had to leave because the Steward thought you were lying about your age.
  • Options
    surely you buy a childs and upgrade it to an adult so the adult ticket would be less the cost of the childs ticket. 

forest away years ago, i had bought an under 18s ticket being 21 at the time, got in with it and even getting in they asked for id i said i didnt have any - the same steward then watched me buy a pint and asked to see my ticket  saw that it was under 18s and chucked me out confiscating the ticket and i end up missing the 1st 30 minutes- bastard. 
    To be fair, buying a beer in front of the steward that you just told you were under 18 probably wasn’t the smartest move
    in hooters since 10.30 thought didn't come in to it, shame that game is midweek this season. chicken, beer and tits!
    You’ve eaten so much chicken and drunk so much beer you’ve grown tits?  Not sure that’s something you want to shout about. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    LenGlover said:
    Redrobo said:
    LenGlover said:
    Redrobo said:
    I know people, not me, who were paying full price for the most expensive East Stand tickets but in protest switched to the cheapest Covered End lower seats but sit elsewhere.

They are only doing that because of Duchatelet, no other reason.  They didn't do it under the previous owners at all.

Yes, some people will always dodge tax, train fares etc etc and try to justify it but at Charlton the situation is very different.

As usual with this regime, they do things without bothering to think of the consequences or listening to those who have.

I think they may know exactly what they are doing. Cheap enforcement that has got everyone talking about it and no one on this site can complain about being challenged again.

It is easy. Copy to your phone a passport, driving license, bus pass etc or take copies.

If your kids do not have any of these, consider getting them an identity card from ‘My ID’. Useful if they want to go to the pictures, buy games etc and ensure they get the cheap travel they are entitled too when they are out and about. Costs £15. You can also get one for over 18s so they can buy beer etc when they are fortunate to look younger. Can apply to old gits as well!

No excuses now.
    That's fine and dandy (apart from the, in my opinion, important principle of why the hell should the innocent be inconvenienced) if you have the financial resources and technological abilities to operate a phone with such a capacity.

There will be plenty of over 65s (exhibit A) with a pay as you go basic mobile phone for emergency use only.

Furthermore what is 'acceptable' ID? I have a bank card with my surname and intitials on it. My season ticket has my christian name and surname on it. Will that suffice or will the conflict between initials and full name prohibit my entry to the ground at the whim of the jackbooted operative on the gate?

It is an absolute disgrace that paid up season ticket holders should be subjected to such indignity, hassle and inconvenience.

My understanding when I last read the terms and conditions was that season tickets could be used by other people in the same category or if an upgrade was paid on the day. Has that stopped now?

If so then the Club had better get ready to refund some season tickets because I know plenty of people who (legitimately under those old terms and conditions) share season tickets as they cannot make every match because they work away etc etc.
    I did say or take a copy as well. Library’s have photocopiers and will do for you for a couple of pence. Have you got a bus pass?

There is no change to upgrading tickets, the issue is with those who don’t. How do you think the club should check a season ticket that is loaned is being used by someone else that fits the criteria? No point in your mate showing his bank card is there? 

Now you know, get yourself and your friends sorted, it really isn’t that difficult and I am sure you will know someone who will help you out if it is. You could even ask the club to copy something for you. That would be fun!

At least you won’t have so many whipper snappers sitting next to you having paid a fiver. 🤔
    I was talking about ME showing my bank card. 

I am a paid up legitimate 'customer' to use the Club's favoured word. Why should I be inconvenienced?
    Personally I would think that would be fine and I would be very unchuffed if they did not accept it from me, but you will be dealing with meatheads. You could ask the club or just take the chance. Up to you of course. Hopefully you will not be inconvenienced at all.

Looking At the terms and conditions it looks like there is nothing about ID checks after you have purchased a season ticket? Does anyone know of any one that was?
    After buying a new Season ticket online there was a confirmation email it stated this "Please note: If you are in possession of an aged-related concession ticket when you try to gain entrance to The Valley on a matchday, CAFC reserve the right to ask you to provide identification to prove you qualify for the concession" not sure if this is just recently or not but I purchased this yesterday and it was.

• Options
    Family Stand £22+£12 for U18 =£34 would have been your cheapest.

There aren't 2 together, but there almost certainly will be loads of empty seats in there, where you would be able to sit together.
  • Options
    smurfd said:
    Redrobo said:
    LenGlover said:
    Redrobo said:
    LenGlover said:
    Redrobo said:

No excuses now.

I did say or take a copy as well. Library’s have photocopiers and will do for you for a couple of pence. Have you got a bus pass?

There is no change to upgrading tickets, the issue is with those who don’t. How do you think the club should check a season ticket that is loaned is being used by someone else that fits the criteria? No point in your mate showing his bank card is there? 

Now you know, get yourself and your friends sorted, it really isn’t that difficult and I am sure you will know someone who will help you out if it is. You could even ask the club to copy something for you. That would be fun!

At least you won’t have so many whipper snappers sitting next to you having paid a fiver. 🤔
    I was talking about ME showing my bank card. 

I am a paid up legitimate 'customer' to use the Club's favoured word. Why should I be inconvenienced?
    Personally I would think that would be fine and I would be very unchuffed if they did not accept it from me, but you will be dealing with meatheads. You could ask the club or just take the chance. Up to you of course. Hopefully you will not be inconvenienced at all.

Looking At the terms and conditions it looks like there is nothing about ID checks after you have purchased a season ticket? Does anyone know of any one that was?
    After buying a new Season ticket online there was a confirmation email it stated this "Please note: If you are in possession of an aged-related concession ticket when you try to gain entrance to The Valley on a matchday, CAFC reserve the right to ask you to provide identification to prove you qualify for the concession" not sure if this is just recently or not but I purchased this yesterday and it was.

I have to pay full price 🤢 as they put up the age just before I qualified. I looked up the terms and conditions on the web site and there is nothing there. I have no recollection of getting an email when I bought for my son though. Maybe they don’t/didn’t for season ticket holders?

Surprised they did not take the opportunity then to make it clear that they intended to undertake checks this year.
  • Options

There aren't 2 together, but there almost certainly will be loads of empty seats in there, where you would be able to sit together.
    And where will the people be whose seats are empty, do you think?
  • Options
    Given the success of antagonising fans on Wedenesday could this be their next trick?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9781193/watford-season-ticket-holder-warning-miss-game-lose-seat/

Given that as football fans we are 'customers' apparently just how much are we prepared to let our suppliers sh** all over us?

• Options
    DOUCHER said:

I think you might have got your knickers in a twist if you'd spent all day looking forward to the game only to be told on entry that you had to leave because the Steward thought you were lying about your age.
    True I’d have gone berserk but I’m talking about the next few weeks 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Given the success of antagonising fans on Wedenesday could this be their next trick?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9781193/watford-season-ticket-holder-warning-miss-game-lose-seat/

Given that as football fans we are 'customers' apparently just how much are we prepared to let our suppliers sh** all over us?

Only really works if you have a full house every week and a waiting list for season tickets. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

True I’d have gone berserk but I’m talking about the next few weeks 
    Hopefully now the word is out people will be prepared for future checks.
  • Options

Majorca ? :-)
  • Options

Sneaking off to north upper and nicking loads of peoples seats there 
  • Options
    Email from the club just come through, usual stuff but also has a section about remembering your id if you have a concession ticket..........
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d60091519eda/advice-for-fans-purchasing-concession-tickets-to-games-at-the-valley?utm_campaign=349788_Copy of Pre-Match Brentford v2 23.08.2019 17:03:01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Charlton Athletic Football Club Ltd&dm_i=4W9V,7HWC,1C9RZ3,RNF5,1

Supporters purchasing concession tickets should be aware that ID checks will be in place for those who may appear close to, or outside, the relevant age groups. 

Appropriate identification includes a driving license, passport or any other photographic ID that shows date of birth. The club will also accept a copy/photograph of these documents provided the date of birth is clearly legible.

At Wednesday’s game, against Nottingham Forest, the club carried out checks in the Covered End and had to confiscate 37 concession tickets, a large proportion of which were adults who had purchased U11 tickets.

The club will continue to take steps to make fans aware of the heightened concession controls that they will face upon entering the stadium. These include adding a note on all confirmation emails, updating the ticketing terms and conditions, making it clear on all physical tickets and in articles on the club website. 

Season ticket holders are also reminded to bring along appropriate identification alongside their season ticket if challenged. Any fan found to be using another individuals season ticket without informing the ticket office prior to any game will also have their ticket confiscated from them. If any season ticket holder wishes to assign their ticket to another individual, they will need to contact our ticket office with the name and age of the individual the wish to transfer the ticket to.

If you have any questions about the controls or wish to know what qualifies as ID, please contact our ticket office by emailing tickets@cafc.co.uk or calling on 03330 14 44 44.

• Options
    “Season ticket holders are also reminded to bring appropriate identification alongside their season ticket if challenged “.

Does anyone proof read stuff before it goes out. What the F does that mean?
  • Options
    Incredible. If there was enough goodwill between club and fans none of this would be necessary. So much for community club. Load of fecking gumpth that is.
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    This is outrageous and to post this on the website at 4:50 on a Friday is completely unreasonable. I’m not at all happy about taking my passport to the game tomorrow and haven’t got time to photocopy.

If photo ID was required why the hell weren’t we asked when buying the seasons in the first place?! I have KCCC membership with my photo on the card so this must be possible.

This could cause chaos tomorrow and add time to getting in to the ground for all games. What the hell is the point of installing automatic turnstiles if stewards are now required to check ID before using them!

All on the hoof - why am I not surprised!
    Do you have a smart phone ? Take a photograph 👍