Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brentford | Sat 24 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Brentford
Saturday 24th August 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

Introduction
Show how far we’ve gone under Lee Bowyer doesn’t it… To be newly promoted yet deserve more than just a share of the spoils against a strong Nottingham Forest side shows that we should have more than enough to compete at this level – This Saturday will see the second of the double header being hosted at the Valley this week; Brentford the visitors for what’ll be the first London Derby of the season!!

The Opposition
Name: Brentford | Manager: Thomas Frank
Ground: Griffin Park

When you think of the moneyball approach within Football your thoughts first and foremost drift to the likes of Southampton and Brentford – Both clubs of late making a success of discovering talent from outside the club and then selling on for larger profit a few years later. In Brentford’s case that has been highlighted once again this summer with Neil Maupay and well known: Ezri Konsa moving on for what would be a combined profit of over £25m

Of course with that approach there is the risk that a club will find enough duds to get themselves relegated, yet again in Brentford’s case that doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen – They’ve spent well this transfer window, with the youth of Ethan Pinnock joining from Barnsley and the experience of Pontus Jansson coming in from Leeds United.

It’s goals that get you challenging for promotion though – Brentford havent finished in the top six since their first season back at this level (2015) and replacing Neil Maupay wont been easy… Halil Dervisoglu has been signed from Sparta Rotterdam yet is still to play since his move - Without doubt it would be a surprise come January if our opponents didn’t turn their attention back to past transfer targets, and what better way to scout them out this Saturday!!

Charlton Team News
Since Roland Duchatalet took over the reigns at Charlton there have been many restrictions placed within the club – Past seasons have seen a small playing squad which has shown potential only for injuries to decimate any hopes that we’ve had.

With so many out of contract players over the summer it was thought that this season would be no different… Lee Bowyer and Steve Gallen, on the tightest of budgets, have managed to put together a squad with enough depth that could achieve anything – Erhun Oztumer coming in last night and so giving Jonny Williams a rest is the sort of luxury we can look forward to this season!!... Whilst we continue to wait on the fitness of our Israeli duo, its just Chris Solly who’ll remain “injured” after suffering concussion against Barnsley

Phillips
Oshilaja | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Gallagher
Williams
Taylor | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Field | Oztumer | Aneke | Bonne | Hemed

Prediction
Brentford coming to town on Saturday will mark another strong test for Lee Bowyer and his team – With just a two day turn around for both teams, it’ll be a game that’ll be secured by the side that manages to recover quicker… For our opponents they’ll be looking to win just their second game of the season - For the Addicks it’s a chance to show we still deserve to be amongst the heavy hitters at the top of the table!!

Comments

• Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    If we play like we did  last night  I can only see a win for the mighty Addicks. 
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Hemed coming of the bench to get the 3rd. 
  • Options
    They agreed a deal to sign Dervisoglu but he won't join until January..........hence why he is yet to play for them!
  • Options
    We need to take our chances if we are to maintain our placing. We got done tactically in the second half last night due to this failing and that may well be the case again on Saturday, so I'm going for a 2-1 loss. 
  • Options
    2-2.
  • Options
    They agreed a deal to sign Dervisoglu but he won't join until January..........hence why he is yet to play for them!
    Cheers
  • Options
    After their last minute attempt to nab Taylor, I put them in the little red book below Millwall. Bring them on!
  • Options
    How will Lyle celebrate when he scores against Brentford...
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    We need to take our chances if we are to maintain our placing. We got done tactically in the second half last night due to this failing and that may well be the case again on Saturday, so I'm going for a 2-1 loss. 
    We only missed one clear chance yesterday to be fair, it's not as if we missed a hatful of easy opportunities
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton, first clean sheet of the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How will Lyle celebrate when he scores against Brentford...

I think he will celebrate more for his second than he does his first.
  • Options

Quite hard to predict the teams at this stage, which is a good thing!

I think this is similar to last night, tough game on paper, bookies priced us 2/1 again at home which could be good value but also can see any result.

I think we will win 2-0 Taylor + Gallagher, wont be easy but no games will so if we can get some good home form going who knows what this season holds

• Options
    Field to start ahead of Pratley I reckon.

2-0 Addicks
  • Options
     Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Seeing as we are at home, could we afford Williams in for Field? Just a thought. We would be quite a short team, and I don't know how big an issue that would be against Brentford. 
  • Options
    3-0 Lyle Taylor hat trick. Up yours Brentford.
  • Options
    Seeing as we are at home, could we afford Williams in for Field? Just a thought. We would be quite a short team, and I don't know how big an issue that would be against Brentford. 
    Bowyer said last night that Williams will come back in for Oztumer on Saturday - Of course could be talking shit
  • Options
    expect changes from Wednesday .. Love to see Hemed start to shake up a tough Bees defence, but at the expense of who ?

Gallagher might need a rest, was Pearce dropped or injured ? .. the beauty of having a squad as big and versatile as we now have is that there is plenty of choice .. BUT does Bowyer now know what is his best starting Xl ?

Brentford gave it a good go at Leeds this week and were beaten by a very late goal .. possession was 70/30 for Leeds, the Bees had 1 shot on target. If they come to the Valley in a similar frame of mind they will lose.

CAFC 2 v Brentford 0
  • Options
    2 -1 Charlton , Taylor and Hemed.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

2-0 Addicks
    Field seemed to be substituted last night as he was struggling with an injury. Just before he went off Taylor signaled to the bench and pointed at Field's hamstring. Would be surprised if he started Saturday, though may have just been something very minor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good write-up as usual FA, agree with your team, (whether LB does or not), hope to see Hemed on the bench and play some part if needed, we definitely need another natural striker, although not saying Leko did anything wrong, one bad miss and one unlucky off the post, but not a striker. I have to stay positive after watching our first half last night, 2-0, hopefully our first clean sheet
  • Options
    3-0 to Charlton.
    Unbeaten August!!
    Got one more game in August yet to come
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer has played down the chances of Tomer Hemed or Beram Kayal featuring for Charlton in Saturday’s home game against Brentford.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/997499027?-11197:833
  • Options
    Croydon said:

2-0 Addicks
    Field seemed to be substituted last night as he was struggling with an injury. Just before he went off Taylor signaled to the bench and pointed at Field's hamstring. Would be surprised if he started Saturday, though may have just been something very minor.
    Fair, I didn't spot that.
  • Options
    expect changes from Wednesday .. Love to see Hemed start to shake up a tough Bees defence, but at the expense of who ?

Gallagher might need a rest, was Pearce dropped or injured ? .. the beauty of having a squad as big and versatile as we now have is that there is plenty of choice .. BUT does Bowyer now know what is his best starting Xl ?

Brentford gave it a good go at Leeds this week and were beaten by a very late goal .. possession was 70/30 for Leeds, the Bees had 1 shot on target. If they come to the Valley in a similar frame of mind they will lose.

CAFC 2 v Brentford 0
    Thought Gallagher looked quite tired by the end of the match, he's only 19 too so we won't want to overplay him
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Lee Bowyer has played down the chances of Tomer Hemed or Beram Kayal featuring for Charlton in Saturday’s home game against Brentford.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/997499027?-11197:833
    I wouldn’t say he is playing it down - more leaving it open
  • Options
    A high scoring affair with the Addicks coming out on top 3-2 
  • Options
    agree with your formation FA.

Gonna be another proper tough game.  if we can balance that approach we had in the first 30 odd mins y'day over 90, we can do it 

gonna say 1-0 to us